Masters Running

3/4 Hump Day Masters Daily (Read 487 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Gang'sters Hey Meg, these are the heel lifts that I use. Now keep in mind, they are NOT for cushioning ok...but rather should be firm to only raise your heel up to relieve the pressure off of your AT. And wear any heel lift you may get "under" your insoles http://www.run-longer.com/insoles/sorbothane_heel_pad.html...I got these at my running shoe store, from a tech that really knows a lot about running and injuries. Oh yeah, wear them in both shoes to have both feet equal. Some peppy miles with a Triathlete Gal I know last night...she is sorta out of shape too coming back from an injury. 8 miles - 1:04:05 - 8:01 ave pace - mile 6 we raced each other and when I got home and read my Garmin, that mile was at 6:47 pace Cool...but shouldn't be doing that right now. Yes Erika...I ate the paste last night Tongue Smile I know this Gal well, so I can say about anything to her. At mile 6 I said...loser gets to be on top. She said...nope not this time, I am getting tired of doing all the work Big grin. I pulled up at the end so we ended in a tie, but she was on my heels the whole time. BTW, this Gal is....umm, lets just say she has a Girl friend. One time a few years ago when I found this out, I asked her if she had ever "been" with a guy...she said nope. he he, I put my arms on her shoulders and gave her a long kiss, and she did kiss me back. I said with an ornery look on my face...what do you think now. With a Coy look on her face she said.................still gay. We both laughed and have been really great friends and training buds since. I always wondered who the "other gal" was, that was hanging around all the time Roll eyes Have a Greta Day Everyone, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You are so funny, Tim! -10 degrees F this morning, so I'm off to the Y yet again. 16 days until spring - yeah, right!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tim - you have the greatest stories!! Nice run last night with your friend and taking the time to start us off this morning. Teresa - I hear ya! We are suppose to get "spring like" weather the rest of this week and then they are forecasting artic air again with accumulating snow for the end of next week!! Angry After coming off of a couple of good running weeks 30 or more miles, I have lost it again this week. Pretty much due to the weather - I'm just so sick of the artic freeze. This morning would have been a pretty nice morning for a run - but I just didn't want to do it. I'm unhappy at work right now, but finding another job is not an option in this economy - especially in Michigan. So, what do I do? I eat. Am I hungry? No. As I'm eating peanuts last night (craving salt) I'm thinking about how awful I'm going to feel in the morning, because peanuts do not necessarily agree with me. Do I stop eating them? No. So, this morning while getting ready for work, and driving to work, I am talking to myself about the things I can change in my life and the things I cannot control. Right now I cannot control my work situation. It is a family run business and the "son" is totally useless and only wants to spend money on things/programs we do not need as we struggle just to stay afloat. In just infuriates me day after day after day as he only talks about spending rather than actually DOING something to get business for us to substantiate such a purchase. I've voice my opinion and it was accepted by the dad/owner but nothing will ultimatley change. Well, I could go on and on, but there is no use. I've decide to work on the things I can change - like my diet and excercise habits. Because I know when I eat right, when I am at a good weight and feeling fit, I am ultimatley just happier. So today is day number 1 of Operation Mary. Smile At lunch time I will be taking my friend's dog for a nice long walk as I puppy sit for her today. Sorry to go on and on. Sometimes it just helps to put it into writing. Tomororw morning I will be out for a nice theraputic run ..... I promise all of you and myself.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Timbo – so you weren’t able to “straighten her out” with a kiss? Mary - Sorry to hear about your frustrating job situation. Can I jump on the Operation Mary bandwagon? I've been frustrated with my own efforts to drop my winter weight. Seems like every day I eat so carefully and healthily, and then as the evening progresses I find myself snacking my way to failure. (sigh) But today is a new day. CNYrunner - I, too, have saved and printed that recipe - thank you. It is a little brave for my meat-and-potatoes DH, but it looks so good! Every now and then he needs to step out of the box..... Smile I still have that annoying blue striping on my screen here at work. I tried the control + F5, and refreshed, but to no avail. I e-mailed Eric about it, but haven’t had a response. My home computer is normal, though. 5.35 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning. It wasn’t even that cold outside (22°), but I wanted to see the next episode of Lost. Warm front is supposed to be moving in now, and it might actually be shorts weather for my weekend LR. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. thanks for starting us out on a nice upbeat note. My days going to be good now Smile We're all ready to support "Operation Mary"!! Go for it! My run: Very cold.. I hab a fozen face.. 16°F 13.4 miles of hills in 1:59:59 (8:57 pace, AHR 146). According to the pace and HR this was an easy run. According to my tired legs and numb body it was far from easy. Now for the warm-up.. 70's maybe 80 this weekend!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hill Runner

Good morning gang, Tim, I've had AT problems for years after a biking mishap. No matter how much I've rested it, I always have pain which I've learned to tolerate. The funny thing is that the more miles I run, the less pain I have...strange. It seems to hurt more if I don't run...figure that out. A cold morning here but a little warmer than yesterday....we will be getting into the 70's this weekend Cool 10.50 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace...felt great this morning and 16 DAYS TIL SPRING!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Good Morning Masters ! Mary......I've been in your shoes. I worked for a family owned business when the 3rd generation came in. Fresh from school with all the answers........It's a tough sitiuation. I was never able to sit back and keep my opinions to myself so it was very difficult for me to survive in that enviroment.......I was seen as the guy who wanted the kids to fail when I felt like I was watching out for the company and it's customers best inerest. Today I'm much better at recognizing what I have control over and what I don't. I just wish it didn't take me so long to learn that because I put alot of stress on myself prior to that. Good Luck with Operations Mary ! No runs to report. Yesterday is going to take a Big 'Ol Goose Egg. My Monday run was very un-comfortable. I could feel this big bubble in my chest and I felt tired and weak, not like you do following a hard workout. Rose Tuesday morning feeling nauseous and light headed. Skipped my morning workout and stayed in bed until my DW's alarm went off.......forced down breakfast, dressed for work, dropped off my youngest DD at band practice and went to work. I unlocked my office door, stepped in, stared at my computor for 20 secs, took a step back, closed the door and went home.......where I layed curled up in a little ball with a low grade fever. I was greeted by my oldest DD when I got home......she had it too. Sweated it out last night......not quite 100% but coming around.......thank God for Bananna's and 7'Up !
                Tramps

Good Morning Gang'sters
                  Does that make Ribs the OG? Perch--some serious workouts the last couple of days. Impressive. Decided to hold off my run until later when, hopefully, the ice will get a little mushy and less hazardous. But I wanted to sign up for "Operation Mary"! Go, Mary! Your sorting out what you can and can't change right now seems like a very sane approach. Good for you.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Mary, thanks for sharing that with your great friends here at RA...you are a real sweetie ya know, and we all care and support you!!! I'm in too with "Operation Mary" Smile Sincerely, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

Timbo, be careful with your actions...what if a guy try to kiss you to try to make you straight Big grin Aamos, I am thinking of your friends!. Please let them know we are there with them in prayer. 16 days until spring and I saw my first snow lily in my yard today. So...there is hope for us. 5 easy miles for me this morning. Now is time to pickle the 20 pounds of asparagus I got at Safeway last night. It was too good of a sale to pass up.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Mary! I'll be rooting for you. Slo Hand, I'm glad you're feeling better. Don't overdo things! 5 miles on the indoor track this morning. Two days in a row, whoo hoo! I'm going to try for a couple more tomorrow morning. No more of this laziness!! I want to be in shape when I finally get to run on pavement.
                          Good morning, all! ((((((Mary))))))) - good luck! Denise - turkey dinner, huh? I want to come to your house!! Definitely give yoga a try - I love the physical aspect, but the mental part of it is a huge bonus. Utter relaxation - too good! CNY - thanks for posting the recipe! Now I don't have to think about the crockpot fixins for next week ;-). Amy - thoughts and prayers for your friend. Slept in this morning. Jesse and I didn't get back from agility class until 11:30 and I spent the entire night doing doggy relays in my dreams - I was running behind Jesse's rear end telling her to "go on". I'm tired ;-). Core and weights scheduled for my lunch hour. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tim, thanks for the link. I'll see about the heel lifts. It's time for new shoes anyway so I will see if the running store has some heel lifts. No running for me today - taking Twocat's advice and taking a day or two off running. The AT was still sore this morning so I went into the gym and did a one hour pilates class. Interestingly, it seemed to help my AT immensely. I am thinking that I need to do more calf stretching because that's the only thing I can think could have affected it. I will go back and elliptical for an hour tonight and check how it feels tomorrow. We are in for a warm up this weekend so I hope that I can get back out there by the weekend. Mary, best of luck with Operation Mary! That sounds like a frustrating work situation. I really like that prayer - the serenity prayer I guess it is - that asks for the wisdom to know the difference between the things you can change and those you can't and the strength to change what you can. SLO, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. It sounds like you are on the mend now. I'm thinking of Aamos' friends too and adding my prayers, even if no miles. I found out last night at the gymnastics gym that the brother of a former gymnast underwent surgery for a brain tumor yesterday morning. He is only 11. The family goes to my church and I actually taught this boy in 6th grade religious education. If you have any additional prayers left over, say a few for this family.

Once a runner . . .

Hi everyone. Short, quick checkin from the Mountains. Still unseasonably warm - they're predicting a high of 42°F at the peak 12,000 feet. That's very warm for up there. So we're taking a day off and going shopping. The weather may change tomorrow. I ran another super-slow 7 miles on the treadmill at 9600 feet. 6.2 mph. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

hi everybody ack another too busy day. I just skimmed a little... (((Mary)))... you have been out there in the worst weather! No wonder you 'lost it'... though I think you've just had enough. I'll join you in my own version of boot strapping. Slo_hand... hope you're well soon. Meg.. glad you are being careful.. I agreed w/Twocat's post... it reminded me of something I read in the Lore of Running... including the idea about the negative heel lifts. Nancy, pickled asparagus sounds good! 20lb?? Aamos, thanks for your wonderful post. Your friends are in my thoughts too. an interesting link about coffee & blood flow during exercise http://www.nubella.com/content/view/1491/. today... 14 min. on the elliptical, 2 miles, guessing a 10 min. pace, 34 minutes on the bike, & upper body weights. back to work. p.s./ Tramps. the sports med doc said that is exactly how I should pool run. How can I ever thank you? Wink