Masters Running

Rainy Fridaily 11/12 (Read 36 times)

bioguy

Hi Masters!

With 8 days to go till my JFK 50 Miler, I'm getting excited, but also doing stupid stuff. Yesterday, I stubbed a toes as hard as I ever have in my entire life. The toes next to my pinkie toe is swollen and purple. I rarely curse, but believe me, I let some fly.

Peleton for the next week.

Tailwinds!

Thanks, Bioguy.  Just sit still until the race!  Ouch on the toe.  That hurts SO much!

6.3 miles for me this morning on the island path.  Heading down to the beach to walk a little and say hello to the ocean.  I felt pretty good out there this morning considering I ran over 7 yesterday and we walked a lot.  Flatness helps.

Steve- what a true statement about those we love will destroy our serenity the most.    Speaking of which- it is my son’s 35th birthday.  What a ride…..

Catch y’all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks for the start, bioguy.  I suppose that's one way to taper. Ouch; hope it heals quickly.

The people we love most will screw up our serenity.

This kind of sentiment is probably why Hallmark wouldn't hire you as a greeting card writer.

They've announced that Amazon is opening a 630,000-square-foot fulfillment center less than 5 miles from my house (with the option to expand to 1,000,000 sq. feet.). It's adjacent to our regional airport and at the I-95 exit I use to get home.   They estimate some 2,400 additional company vehicle trips a day (never mind employees)...because I-95 in northern Virginia is so underutilized.

Caps are injury-plagued, including a goalie, so they brought up a minor league journeyman goalie for his first-ever NHL start last night...and he got a shutout! First time in franchise history that's happened. He's 26 years old, so it's been a long winding road for him. He was just grinning ear to ear in the after-game interview and his family was ecstatic. Fun to watch (unless you're a Detroit fan ).

Not a great year for foliage, but my favorite trio of trees in the back yard were showing a touch of their usual red-orange-yellow selves yesterday.

Then the front arrived, darkening the sky.

I woke up before 5 to the sound of heavy downpours and winds but it had all passed by 8:00 or so.  Warm and muggy out there. Did my usual 5-miler at my new slower pace (9:50's).  My Garmin's not happy about it apparently because I haven't been able to upload it here all week.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Rainy dreary Friday for sure - heading out soon to visit my cousin in rehab. She is really having a tough time of things and my sister puts in all the hard work as her guardian so I am just trying to do my share.

2.22 miles in 33:33 power walking - actually eased off the pace a little because I feel a shin splint starting on my left leg but I thought the numbers were pretty cool!! Icing, stretching, massaging started yesterday and in my future along with some special creams

45 minute Peleton ride, 5 min cool-down ride, 5 min stretch class, 20 minute upper body

KSA - I would love to see you in Nashville!! I'll let you know when we firm up where we are staying!!

Stopped by the house briefly yesterday - Justin was in bed early afternoon as he is anytime we stop by. He wants food and money but still doesn't want to see a dr or restart meds so I said I hope you figure things out. I am really trying to stand firm on no help until he is ready to get help. Never ending saga!!

denise

Stay firm, Deez.  It's hard as hell, but he's gotta hit bottom before he may be willing to reach up for help.

Great pics,  Tramps.

Tammy - Any updates on the arm???

Tet - Karen doesn't run anymore, so The Hub gets to enjoy her company all day tomorrow. Him: "I don't know what we're going to talk about after the first 15 minutes." Me: "Don't worry.  Karen knows how to do all the talking."  Ha! 

I'm already getting that nervous stomach about tomorrow, but in a good way.  I figure it's going to take me 8.5 to 9 hours, so even though he didn't really want to, I'm glad The Hub will be part of my crew, because it would suck having to drive myself the hour back home afterward.  The weather is gonna be perfect - mid 50's to 60.

Yesterday's tape job of my foot didn't hold out as it was already curling around the edges, I told The Hub he'll have to help me retape it tonight.  It's not hard, just at an odd angle for me to do it myself.

Okay - I'm only working 'til noon today, so I gotta get some stuff done.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

bioguy sorry about the toe. I sprained an ankle 5 weeks before Marine Corp marathon so I recognize your frustration.  Heal fast.

Leslie: Good luck tomorrow.

Tramps: great pics.

KSA: Nashville? I was just there 2 weeks ago...I need to pay attention more.   I did check out local running group meet ups via the interwebs,  but we were staying downtown.  And the morning meet up location was on the other side of the Cumberland (2.5 miles away from hotel) according to MapQuest.  So I ended up following Cumberland trail with some detours around the city solo. It was an old "Map My Run" route.

Today was my first run since oral surgery and free from antibiotics. I did a little over 4 miles. Of course today our area was supposed to get an inch or so of heavy rain so I was expecting to get very wet and cold. Fortunately I ran before (or was it after?) the heavy rains.

I set out a little after10:30 AM with overcast skies, light rain, and 60F+ temps.  So the shirt obviously stayed at home.    I kept the pace/effort easy and wore my yellow running cap to be visible to the traffic.  Though I have to admit  in hindsight, that with all the leaves (some bright yellow) on the road and the fall colors, I probably should have worn a dark cap and a blinking  reflector or headlamp.    In any event, the traffic was light so it was a not issue and it felt good to run again.

TGIF all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Shadow/Joe- I answered you when you posted before about Nashville but I think it got lost in the thread (and you had already come and gone).  Yeah- I live south of the city in Franklin.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Shadow/Joe- I answered you when you posted before about Nashville but I think it got lost in the thread (and you had already come and gone).  Yeah- I live south of the city in Franklin.

Yeah....I need to read posts more. Haha.  Next time.

Going to the Florida Keys next vacation so if any Masters want to meet for a run DM me. Haha

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bio - happy one week to go.

Very rainy in Seattle, flood warnings, etc.

Just the way I don't mind it.

I rarely curse, but believe me, I let some fly.

bio - might as well get some practice at it as I've heard it sometimes happens from time-to-time from some of the runners in their ultras.

ps - don't worry about the toe or butt as after the first 10-20 miles you'll be so tired you won't even notice them.

Steve - neat encounters with the gentle giant manatees. Glad you’re getting out on the beach. I wish everything else down there was a nice for you. Do you know when you’ll be back to more real weather this time?

They've announced that Amazon is opening a 630,000-square-foot fulfillment center less than 5 miles from my house (with the option to expand to 1,000,000 sq. feet.).

Tramps - no Amazon warehouses out here but 75,000+ employees more than make up for it, . . . to say nothing of 25,000 more coming to Bellevue across Lake Washington where my blueberry field park is.

. . . minor league journeyman goalie for his first-ever NHL start last night...and he got a shutout! First time in franchise history that's happened. He's 26 years old, so it's been a long winding road for him. He was just grinning ear to ear in the after-game interview and his family was ecstatic. Fun to watch (unless you're a Detroit fan ).

Tramps - fantastic (but sorry to roch), and thanks for the hockey insight about number of games played might result in % overriding points. I also did not know the conference/division distinction.

However, I see your Caps got another point in the shutout and also upped their % from .677 to .692 to move up to second place in your division ahead of Dave’s Sabre’s 12 points in his but, even though the Kraken lost again and remain in last place, they scored another point so, at 14 points, are still ahead of the Caps and the Sabres.

There’s so many hockey league categories I guess it’s kind of like triathlons where, in spite of being at or close to DGL in each event itself, swimming/biking/running barefoot always places me at the top of the standing for transitions times because I don’t have to waste time putting on cycling shoes for one leg and, for the next leg, running shoes. No wonder I’m starting to like hockey so much.
                    end hockey

I thought my good-deed-for-the-day was going to be going up to the Hillside Park in the rain this morning with the big ends of two broken branches I’d cut down to four feet this summer with a hammer and some rebar supports to shore up the doggy path on the downside of the trail where some ongoing erosion where water collecting along the soggy upper length of the trail is carried under the trail at the midpoint in the middle of the 33 stair climb I like in a little drain pipe that’s so short that the outflow is eating away at that part of the adjacent doggy path I use descending from the Upper Trail instead of being diverted on down the hill past the doggie path but, then, after that was done and on the way back to the house in the car at the last turn into the residential street we’re on where the corner neighbor’s ornamental firs along their property make it a blind corner into our block of six homes on each side the street, I slowed way down to 3-4mph as I always do in case there’s another car, walkers with and w/o their dogs, etc. on our street and, sure enough, another car just coming to the stop sign was way over on my side in the middle of the barely two-car width of the street enough so that there was no room for me to enter the street so I just quietly eased to a stop instead of lurching to an emergency stop as the kids were probably expecting (and that I’ve seen other residents do too when one driver-or-the-other fails to slow down during their turns) <<<(ed note: insert period, if any, here)>>>.

The half-dozen kids waiting at the intersection for their school bus were already transfixed on the silence of our Chevy Volt that I like to show off anyway how quietly it drives and, I hope, were impressed that my careful driving didn’t even come close to requiring an emergency stop to let the road hog get through the intersection and out of the way. I may not be a good runner anymore but I sure am a good driver, . . . in the unlikely event anyone asks me.

With regard to the shoring-up maintenance, the hillside was so soggy that I could just push down the four foot rebars I’d cut down to size and didn’t even need the hammer so don’t know how long they will stay in place. Doesn’t matter, though, as it was all worth a maintenance mile and 2,000 steps that I do as much as I can anyway.
                    End running

Not a great year for foliage

tramps - if we had those colors up here,

I'd be posting about a "great year for foliage."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Just an easy 2.48 miles this morning. Going to really try to get consistent and do the core and stretching stuff that the PT gave me.  I did it last night and my run today was a little better than the last batch of runs.

Went and got my Moderna booster today.  I am really torn on the vaccine stuff.  On the one hand, the mandate seems heavy handed and the "one-size fits all" seems wrong and bad.  No accounting for individual circumstances or natural immunity from having covid.

On the other hand, hospitalizations have been ticking up in WV again and 72% of them are unvaccinated folks.  I am vaccinated so I don't fear the unvaccinated.  But it has to be hard on healthcare workers who have to keep dealing with this when it doesn't have to be as bad as it is if more people would just get vaccinated.

Tough 2-day stretch for the Sabres.  Edmonton and then Toronto.  I imagine it will be 2 lopsided losses and I will only watch about 5 minutes of each game.

Tramps

I see your Caps got another point in the shutout and also upped their % from .677 to .692 to move up to second place in your division ahead of Dave’s Sabre’s 12 points in his but, even though the Kraken lost again and remain in last place, they scored another point so, at 14 points, are still ahead of the Caps and the Sabres.

Hmmm...you might want to check that.  Looks like Kraken have played 14 games but have only 9 points, behind both Sabres (12 points) and Caps (18 points).

Be safe. Be kind.

Caps are injury-plagued, including a goalie, so they brought up a minor league journeyman goalie for his first-ever NHL start last night...and he got a shutout! First time in franchise history that's happened. He's 26 years old, so it's been a long winding road for him. He was just grinning ear to ear in the after-game interview and his family was ecstatic. Fun to watch (unless you're a Detroit fan ).

Uh, also the first time in Detroit franchise history that they were shut out by a goalie making his NHL debut, and Detroit's franchise history goes back way farther than the Caps (100+ years). 

Karen, I really like picking up new cars, so next time your DH gets one, let me know and I'll go with him instead.

Carolyn, right on about your area not being so great to make the foray into electrification just yet.

I had an interesting indoor bike ride this morning, so if you have the patience I'll explain what it was. I record all my bike rides using a Garmin Edge 1030+, which is the biking equivalent of a Forerunner. But it also has a lot of advanced outdoor and indoor training features, most of which don't interest me at my level and style of biking. But one newer feature is that the Edge is able to connect to my Wahoo "smart trainer" and control it the same way that I do with my virtual rides using the Fulgaz app on our Surface Pro tablet. And one thing that I can do with that feature is to select a specific ride out of my history and simulate it on the trainer, including resistance on hills etc.

So this morning I got things fired up and selected the ride I did up north on Aug 23: the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail. When I started riding it, I could follow the route on the Edge's internal map; follow the elevation profile; cycle through the usual screens showing speed, cadence, grade, HR, etc.; and even get a graphic of me riding against my past self as recorded. Since the original ride was just a fun ride with my DW I finished well ahead of the original activity, but I will attest that the big 10% gradient section was easier on August on the e-bike!

Anyway, 10.27 miles at 13.5mph and 581ft of climbing.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hmmm...you might want to check that.  Looks like Kraken have played 14 games but have only 9 points, behind both Sabres (12 points) and Caps (18 points).

They may not be playing well, but they're VERY proud of the Kraken jerseys.  DH's best friend is Mason Appleton's uncle.  Our DGS in Seattle is a big hockey kid - goes to a private school geared towards kids who want to play hockey all day/every day.  We thought it would be cool to get him a Kraken jersey with Appleton's number on it and have Appleton autograph it for him.  My jaw almost landed on the floor when I found out they were $250!! That's as bad as the Packers!   And for an expansion team that's not doing very well either!

5.75 miles this morning.  38 degrees, spitting rain and 20-25 mph winds - jtwili!  20 minutes of core and stretching after that.

Have a great Friday everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tramps - thanks .  However, I like my method better. Smile  Besides, maybe the 8th place Kraken and the 7th place Canucks could create their own Very Far West Division.

ps Jeanne - $250! Neat. I thought you were going to say Appleton's uncle got it. I'll trade my Mariners' one for one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jeanne—sorry you don’t love your GS that much 😛

DW returned from her Rochester excursion yesterday evening. Said FIL was so much better on the last day. Guess it’s good to leave on a high note. 

Hound has been pretty tired after four days of camp, so not very long strolling in the evening this week. Hope to get some distance over the weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.