Masters Running

Pre Turkey Tuesday 11/26/19 (Read 40 times)

Good morning folks! No time for recaps, just getting us started for the day. It was a balmy 40° at 5:00 AM. Out the door for 4.50 miles of run/walking. I'm sure hoping I get some running fitness back before I'm REALLY old!  Finished with 20 minutes of weights and core.

Another day being Wilma Wonka. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

anneb

Hi, Jlynne! Glad the eye is doing well. It was colder here at 34 but still a nice, quiet morning (no wind at all?). 

I also got out for 5.6 miles, but my Garmin wouldn’t sync like it usually does. I restarted everything once (watch and phone) but that didn’t work so I’ll look at it when I’m home tonight… I hate it when my workout doesn’t sync! 

Anne

Dave59

I haven't run in a week so I went to the fitness center in our development and got in 2 miles on the treadmill. It was 30° this morning but it is headed to the low 60's today. I may try to get out and explore the neighborhood streets later, but as time goes on and I get wrapped up in work it becomes more unlikely.

With my daughter, son-in-law, and husky here until Sunday, and with my mother-in-law still in the hospital, chaos will continue to reign for a while longer. I just try to focus on one thing at a time and get through the day.

I wish the Buffalo Sabres would get sold and moved to a new city. Then I could quit watching hockey altogether. Life would be much better.

BTY

Good morning, Runners!

I was going to sleep in, originally, this morning, but I had a Chiropractor appointment (quarterly maintenance) with my DD at 8:00 and asked her if she wanted to go to the gym with me beforehand, which meant she'd have to be up and out the door by 6:00, and she gave me an enthusiastic "Sure!"    She is the one that has been teaching both "learn to swim" (Group 1's - ages 3 and up) classes and pre-competitive groups (typically kids under 14) for about 5 years now.  She was doing a leg day and peeked in on me between sets, to see how I was doing with my stroke improvement, and it was great to hear her say that I have great form.    I was working pretty hard today so that was a good report - my form used to sort of fall apart when I swam faster.

1400 yards in the pool, in 30:18.    I was doing 200-yard repeats with a goal of 3:30 per 200 plus 1:00 of rest in between.   I felt really good today and was actually turning them in at 3:18 - 3:20 so I got an additional 10- to 12-seconds rest each interval.   I'm now at 21 miles for the month and have decided to up the bar to 25 miles.  I found out that the pool will be open every day right through Thanksgiving, so I have 4 more days to swim 4 miles, so why not?

I have a meet in Ithaca NY coming up in a little over 2 weeks, and I've entered myself in both the 100- and 200-yard Individual Medleys, the 50-yard butterfly, and the 1,000-yard freestyle.  All I've been working on in November has been crawl (freestyle, basically) so I'll need to start working on all of my other strokes again.       The 1,000-yard freestyle is sort of a "whim" entry, and I'm going to be totally outclassed by some really excellent swimmers from western NY.   Looking at the results from last year, I see a few men who, in my mind, meet the description of "Masters" (they're in their 60's and 70's) and they finished in about 16 or 17 minutes, and I should be right around there.  A 49-year old woman was the fastest, in 11:51!  Her 50-yard splits are about the same as my 50-yard sprint times!  A 32-year-old woman swam 12:17!  They will be lapping us early and often.    There is no shame in being trounced by national-caliber masters swimmers, of either gender, but I will need to prepare my DW and her sister who will be cheering me on, so that they know I'm actually trying when they see the ladies doing circles around me. 

Have a greta day, Runners!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Oy - I've been behind since I started going this morning, and am hoping that I can ketchup by the end of the day, but the prospects aren't good, and I have an evening meeting and so that time is taken up as well. I don't like having more to do than I can get done in a day, but some days (like today) are like that.

I got up and out early this morning, and went 7.8 RW miles in 32° under clear, starred skies. Perhaps I should have spent the time working, but a workout is just as important, according to the sanity clauses I've read.

Have a greta Tuesday, and be patient if you're traveling today.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

BTY, your swimming amazes me.  I love to swim but I'm just not very good at it.  I spend a lot of time hanging on to the edge at the end of each length.  Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the breathing but I'm not there yet.

Beautiful morning in NW IL today.  It is supposed to end by mid afternoon though.  Mother Nature will rear her ugly head for sure.  The dog has had a couple walks, I have a shift at the food pantry after lunch, and yoga after that.  Another good day.

anneb

It's been nice and quiet the last few days, but it is supposed to start raining and they are predicting wind speeds of up to 60mph in the city tomorrow! Coincidentally (or not), the city is doing massive tree cleanup in our little neighborhood - literally piles of tree debris all over in peoples front yards (we have "unimproved alleys") and in the parkways yesterday. I assume that stuff is going to get picked up today.

Beautiful morning in NW IL today.  It is supposed to end by mid afternoon though.  Mother Nature will rear her ugly head for sure.  The dog has had a couple walks, I have a shift at the food pantry after lunch, and yoga after that.  Another good day.

Anne

So wait a minute . . . I can play my iPod through my 20+ year old stereo receiver . . . somehow??  I'm gonna have to print yesterday's explanation by Tramps and Surly and see if I can figure this out.

BTY - *snork!* re preparing your family. 

Dave - That's how The Hub felt about the Rams once they left St. Louis - he know longer had to root for them.

After work yesterday, I got in 30 min on the elliptical and somewhere around 30 min of core work.  This a.m. I got in about 45 min of core/ST.  The Hub was up and wide awake at 2:00, so he dealt with the cats.  Thank you!

As Surly mentioned, there's a big storm headed to the West Coast today.  The Sierra's are supposed to get around 4 feet of snow.  We're expecting a lot of rain and sustained winds  of 25-40 mph with gusts between 50 and 70 mph.  Woochee!  Hang on to your skirts, Mildred!

I have my phone appt with my ortho at 1:00.  On pins and needles as to what he's gonna say.

Okay - Enjoy ~~

Top 30 funny Tuesday Memes

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Beautiful morning here as well. Supposed to hit 60 and then downwards for the next few days. Did a little of everything so far- stretching, indoor cycling and a walk/run with a few fartlets

thrown in. Yoga this afternoon. Thinking of doing a Parkrun 5K on turkey morning.

BTY -I’m very impressed by your swimming. The masters group seem to be like the masters runners.

Jeanne-your progress is great. Keep it up.

Joe618

Morning all...good start to the day's dailies. 

I have as many old stereos and speakers at my house as Tramps does, apparently.   When our DS2 was about 8 or 9, he asked my DW one day "Why do we have so many radios in the house?  There's one in every room."   Keen observer, that boy.   My DW smiled and just said "Well, Daddy likes radios and likes to be able to listen to the same thing any where in the house."   And so it goes. 

I've found Amazon Music to work well for me, as we have a Prime membership and, with that, you get access to a ton of music.   I don't pay for the extra Amazon Music Unlimited, which would let me access a gazillion more songs but virtually everything I want is there.   Have a playlist going there with only stuff I like and it's great...300+ songs now and counting. 

And my teeth are indeed blue. 

Will get out for 7 miles or so later this afternoon with a slight risk of Rule One violation. 

Rock your day...quesadillas for lunch here today...    Adios!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

And, for your Thanksgiving Dinner enjoyment, a friend sent this to me yesterday and it cracked me up.   Enjoy it with your family on Thursday.  Who will get a triple Bingo??!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

TammyinGP

all I see is a blank frame with a little x, Joe. sorry 

David came home a day early from college yesterday because of this terrible weather we are expected to get later today.  Unfortunately, a semi side swiped him on the way home and double unfortunate that the semi truck driver was clueless as to what occurred and david was unsuccessful at getting his attention to have him pull over. Fortunately, David was not hurt and it's only cosmetic damage to the entire passenger side of his little Sunfire and didn't affect driving or steering. He was in left lane/fast lane, passing semi going uphill. Semi decided to move from right lane to left lane (why do semi's even do this when they cannot go more than 45-50 up a mountain pass??!!). Started moving over and david had to slow down/stop as quickly as possible but the semi's tires still scraped the entire passenger side, including sheering off his passenger side mirror. He was able to get the truck's license plate but that was it. So, we made a claim with our insurance and I guess they'll do what they can to track down truck company/driver with the calif DMV but I have no doubt the truck driver will deny hitting anyone. damage to his car I'm sure will exceed value (it's a 2002 Sunfire) so it'll likely be totaled. David is pissed. That's a great little car for him and super reliable for an older car. He won't find something as good for the maybe 2K that they'll value it out at. 

Today is my Friday but we are expecting what they are calling a "bomb cyclone" of snow and high winds, so may be leaving work early if it gets dicey out there. I sure hope we don't lose any power though because I'm the pie baker tomorrow.

Tammy

Tramps

In my day, music was played from engraved, rotating platters of polyvinyl chloride, with about 10 songs each. They were heavy, fragile, and a pain in the butt to use...and we loved them! I hauled around boxes and boxes of those for years. Kids these days...

Leslie--yeah, if it's a shuffle it'll be limited by the battery life of the iPod but it'll work. For Nanos and full-sized iPods, you can probably still find powered docking stations with audio output. These plug into an electrical outlet (in addition to the stereo) and enable you to play the iPod without using the battery.

We waited for the magical 40F temp today (when we can ride in shorts and minimal gear) before heading out for a 19-mile ride. Beautiful day here, too. Calm before the storm, I guess.

ETA: Yowsa, Tammy. I was typing as you posted and then missed this entirely. Glad he's okay.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Add me to the five-milers.

Since the new route since last year for the upcoming Seattle Marathon has eliminated the two big half-mile+ hills at miles 18 and 22 I liked so much, in order to get in some flatter running training, instead of driving over to the Hillside Park to maximize as many stairs per mile as possible, I ran out the front door for a neighborhood mile over to and a mile back from to get the standard three mile route of Hillside trails I’ve configurated and thousand stairs. Starry, moonless sky kind of nippy at 38F warranting warm ski gloves.

Tammy - Glad everything's okay.

Nice that the insurance company'll do it.

However, don't they need a police report?

As long as it's still driveable, I bet few in Alaska-land

would bother for repairs

Ohhh we got our first snow today.

Lucky. 

I have a meet in Ithaca NY coming up in a little over 2 weeks,

Being able to swim in the winter that was impossible in the days before indoor pools still boggles my brain, . . . almost as much as running in the winter too that used to be something I only did in the summer.

I love to swim but I'm just not very good at it. 

Me too, . . . but in lakes and ponds, not yo-yo swimming in chlorinated pools.

. . . radios. . . , There's one in every room." 

Me too.

Top 30 funny Tuesday Memes

snork for sure.

Unfortunately more often true than not.

Tramps - Thanks for your followup explanation.

I don't want to have to connect wires all over the place to anything but only want to listen from my smartphone itself so downloaded the Spotify app into my smartphone but, instead of being able to create a playlist of the specific songs that I like from various singers, it created its own version of playlists they thought I would like, e.g. (a) country's greatest 60's / (b) Elvis Presley / (c) the Oscars (?) / (d) love songs (?) / (e) Ken Burns (????), etc. so I now I have playlists that, while having the couple of songs that I like, are also full of songs I don't like as much, it at all.  Is there any way to make my own playlist only of songs in several categories I like, e.g. (a) 50's / (b) 60's / (c) classical / (d) country / (e) Japanese like Joe seems to have on his Google Playlist  (but I don't want to pay for it). 

Step 1: download a music streaming app to a device (computer, phone, smartTV, etc). You can now play music through the speaker on this device. You're done.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Tramps - Thanks for your followup explanation.

I don't want to have to connect wires all over the place to anything but only want to listen from my smartphone itself so downloaded the Spotify app into my smartphone

.Is there any way to make my own playlist only of songs in several categories I like,

If you're streaming to a smartphone, you won't need any of those cables to push to a Bluetooth-enabled device.

Playlists?  Yes That's the heart of the whole platform. Lots of "how-to" info on their site.

Poke around; you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Be safe. Be kind.