Masters Running

Monday Runs in the Park, the Rain & other things (Read 392 times)

Good Morning Masters Runners, 

Day off today because I need to get set up for my club to hold it's annual pre-season cross country races.  We used to attract over 1,000 runners but because of busing costs and other events in NE Ohio we have been down to 350 for the 5 races.

Middle school boys & girls, high school boys & girls, then a open race to end. 

First I will hit the gym, for the eliptical, taking it easy on the hamstring. 

Then off to renew my drivers license  big smile for the photo. 

Dentist appointment for cleaning & check up. 

The it will be off to the races.  

Enjoy this wonderful day!       

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Slo

Sounds like a busy day Sarge.

That's too bad about the # of runners. 1000 is a huge attendance. I love XC season. 

I'm supporting a start-up at the plant this morning so that means no morning run........and man what a perfect morning it would have been for a run ! Nice and cool. It made the bike commute awfully nice.....almost chilly.

School starts this week. Unbelievable.

Morning guys. Sounds like you both have busy starts to your week. Sarge, hope the hamstring feels better. Good luck with your race this afternoon.

Aww, Slo. It's perfect running weather this morning. Sorry you couldn't take advantage of it. School starts here this week as well. Too soon!

Dreadfully behind here after spending the weekend volunteering at the PGA championship at Whistling Straits. DH and I had a double shift on Saturday that turned into a 10 hour day. It was brutally hot down there and no breeze off of Lake Michigan to cool anyone down. Yesterday was unbelievable. The people! The crowd following Tiger Woods was massive. You could look over a hill and just see the throngs of people coming. The finish was spectacular - 3 hole playoff between two players, but it should have been 3. Read your sports sections today.

Up at 4:30 and pleasantly surprised with the weather. 59° and a nice breeze out of the northwest made it one of the nicest mornings for running that I can remember. 6 miles, 9:31 pace followed with some stability ball stuff and free weights. DIdn't run all weekend because we had to be up at 5:00 AM in order to drive to Kohler so I've gotta get back with the program this week.

Have a good one, masters!

BlazinCajun

Sarge - Good luck the the XC races. Preseason races were always exciting for me during high school.

Slo_hand - Sorry you can't run this morning. My daughter's don't start school until after Labor Day and we love it.

Ran 3 recovery miles including one mile with my 10-year old daughter. Nice weather, 77° F and 96% humidity. Ran on our grass track in the back yard. My oldest daughter and I just completed some core work as well.

Jlynne - Good job getting back into running after a long weekend.

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

3 slow and easy miles, just testing out the parts.  No problems today.

I found out yesterday that my Mom has asthma and emphysema.  Second hand smoke I guess.  She's never smoked in her life.  But her mom and dad (and most of the rest of her family) smoked like chimneys for many years.

DD2 and family are coming later this week.  I need to get that (long unused) Baby Fence put up around the pool.  The boys will be making a beeline for it I'm sure!

I watched the PGA Championship yesterday.  I can't even imagine playing that course.  I'd shoot about 200.  Too bad about Dustin Johnson as I was rooting for him, but I'm really glad he didn't make that 6 footer on the 72nd hole.  That would have been brutal to go from the joy of winning to the reality of the 2-shot penalty.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Love x-country season as well and I can barely contain myself with the kiddo heading down that path. August 30 is his first day of practice (school starts here on September 7). Ice hockey still rules for him and I got up early to run today so I would have time to drop him off at hockey camp.  The hockey games don;t really get going until late October as x-country winds down for the freshman team. We'll see how this works!

Good Luck Sarge with the races and the busy day.

Way to go Dove and Francesca with your incredible runs yesterday and Francesca with her awesome placement.

Tim---I didn't run the whole 17 at 7:16 pace---just the last 6 miles. Hope your knee continues its speedy healing.

Ran at 5 am and for 7.8 miles. Felt good and ran through some rain too.

breger---I bet you are looking forward to the visitors. Sounds fun!

Busy week ahead for me with some work travel, then granny's move to assisted living, and a little family get away on the horizon. I am heading off line on Saturday until early September. 

They're still playing golf? Huh? I thought that went the way of baseball a long time ago.

5 Easy pieces miles this AM, maybe another round this evening.
                Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

<font><font>................Erika – heckofa run for you yesterday in record heat.  I’m not sure how stops during a LR affect the value of them, but I have always stopped during my LRs for water/potty needs and I expect I always will. ........................ </font></font>

<font> </font>

<font>........................Dove and Francesca – wow!  You two are amazing!...........................</font>

<font> </font>

<font>........................No run for me today, just 30 minutes of upper body weights and core..........................</font>

<font> </font>

<font><font>.......................My kids start school Wednesday, too.  After I drop DS off at soccer practice tonight, DD and I will be heading to her Meet-The-Teacher event.  Then we’ll do DS’s school open house after DD’s soccer practice tomorrow night.  Back to 9pm bedtime tonight for DS..........................</font></font>

<font><font color="#000000"></font></font>

<font><font>

</font></font>

<font><font color="#000000"></font></font>

<font><font>......................ETA - this is what happens when I type my post in a Word document, then cut and paste when I am ready to post.  I am not going to like this new format thing at all, because I generally take a long time to write my posts, while I am multi tasking at work, and that's why I do it in a separate document first........................</font></font>

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Karin,  I see a lot of fun in your horizon! We will miss you around here.

Byll, you too. Where do the grandkids live. Happy to see that the ankle is doing good.

Great job to all the weekend runners, regardless the distance you got out-there and accomplished the miles! WTG 

Sarge, good luck during the races! Sorry to hear about the numbers dropping down. The economy is tough out-there.

Jlynne, how nice of you and your DH to volunteer at the Championship. As a runner I always like to give back to the running community by volunteering or organizing a race.

I am honoring my body today by giving it a "total" day of rest. 

Here is to a great weekend.

Francesca and dove. You girls are amazing.

No words from Tramps for a while! Someone has to go to fish for him. Also Tall, did he move?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I compose my posts in notepad and it copies just fine.

Wow, Dove and Francesca!  Those are some awesome long miles in extreme heat.

Sarge, you must have a birthday coming up if you're renewing your license.  New age group this year?
                      I renewed mine on line and they sent it in the mail, so it still has my old picture.  I don't know how many times they let you do this, but I might like the young picture in 20 years, even though it's a typical DMV photo and I look like a criminal. At least I look like a young criminal.

Andrew, cool that your DDs are into running and core work!

CNY, hugs to Super Granny, and I hope her move goes well. Will she be close by? Very exciting that your kiddo is starting XC this year.

I'm planning a RAW.  My quads are killing me from that trail run on Saturday.  I remember the same thing happened last summer when I ran that particular trail - it's really steep.  Oh, well, even though I probably only actually ran less than half the time and hiked the rest, it was good training nevertheless.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BlazinCajun

ETA - this is what happens when I type my post in a Word document, then cut and paste when I am ready to post.  I am not going to like this new format thing at all, because I generally take a long time to write my posts, while I am multi tasking at work, and that's why I do it in a separate document first........................

Holly - try typing your posts using notepad. There is no formatting. Copy and paste then create your paragraphs.

Andrew
                        ------------------
                        God, my Lord, is my strength;
                        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                        and enables me to go upon the heights.
                        Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika – heckofa run for you yesterday in record heat.  I’m not sure how stops during a LR affect the value of them, but I have always stopped during my LRs for water/potty needs and I expect I always will. 

Dove and Francesca – wow!  You two are amazing!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes of upper body weights and core.

My kids start school Wednesday, too.  After I drop DS off at soccer practice tonight, DD and I will be heading to her Meet-The-Teacher event.  Then we’ll do DS’s school open house after DD’s soccer practice tomorrow night.  Back to 9pm bedtime tonight for DS...

Okay, this is what happens when I type it in Word, copy and paste it into Notepad, then copy and paste from Notepad to here...still experimenting....but why does it take so long to load each post?  Is that just me?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

1 hour 4 minutes on the eliptical, I think the hamstring is good but will try to go easy (comfortably hard)  on Wednesday.  Hopefully none of the several runners I refuse to lose to show up & force to me push harder.   The course is only 1/2 mile from home so I never miss the series, even when injuried.   

Yes Wildchild I will turn 55 on the 29th and there is a local 10k that day.  I had been working hard for the 10k, so we'll see where this latest set back leaves me.    My PR is 41:51 (1999)  & 50:55 last year, goal for this one 49:30. 

The high gas prices in 2008 forced many schools to start putting the sports busing cost on the sports budget & cross country doesn't get much of a budget.  That knocked out several Akron & Cleveland schools that used to come.  Local schools don't bus because it's not an official school event, just practice, uniforms & awards are not permitted.   

BlazinCajun I know some of top small school runners really look forward to this because it a rare chance to compete against the big schools.  Looks like a great day w/sunny 82F & humidity is dropping. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Catching up after a busy weekend.  Holly's run Sunday cracked me up--and if I had a treadmill, I can see myself doing the same thing.  I've gone away from listening to music for LRs, but I do rely on NPR or books. 

And I think breaks in a long run are ok, Erika.  You don't have the adrenalin of a race, and you're responsible for water, fuel, bathroom breaks, etc.  Especially in heat.  In a hot race, you can dump a cup of water on your head at aid stations but in your LRs, who carries enough to both drink and douse yourself?  I'd rather stop and cool down and at least finish the dang thing.

D. and I picked up Dr. Pamela Peeke (she's on the Discovery Channel, she tells us) at the airport and took her to the "Heads" (her term for Mt. Rushmore--she really wanted to see it), before delivering her to the Leading LAdies Expo in Spearfish Saturday.  She was the keynote speaker.  Then Sunday I ran the marathon--wasn't sure about it, given the Ultra Relay last weekend, so I didn't say much.

Well. my glutes and hamstrings are still nattering at me, but we got to the finish.  3:45 flat.  The best part was that 2 of my Relay teammates ran the half, won their agegroups, and still stuck around for me to finish.  That was special.   And Frank was the hit of the finish line again.  He loves races still, especially as an observer.  He got pretty close to some deer early Sunday am (his lips were quivering, and the deer were fairly interested in him.  They do sorta look alike).  Also got tons of attention from little kiddoes and other dogs, all good.  Then salmon skin for an after dinner treat. 

Yes, we'll miss you Karin.  It will be interesting to see how the XC v. hockey demands fare with DS.  Looking forward to your accounts, and wish him great seasons in each.   I bet SuperG will make the AL facility a much livlier place to be.  Hope that goes well. 

I'd be making a beeline for the pool, too, BQll!  It's hot there, or don't you notice so much?

Dove, you and Franc are BOTH amazing.  I'll be thinking of you when I'm helping at an aid station at our local Ultra in a few weeks.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

a little family get away on the horizon. I am heading off line on Saturday until early September. 

Just caught this...have fun and get some well-deserved rest and relaxation!

Aamos - great racing, especially after last week's relay!  I would LOVE to get a 3:45 someday......and yes, I've gotton kind of addicted to audio books on LRs...