Masters Running

Friday, 3.3.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s wonderous workouts:
    Jlynne (30 min. of pool laps, 30 min pool running)
    Rochrunner (1200 yards in the pool + hot tub)
    Tomwhite (40 min. GreenWay with Hiking Buddy)
    Catwhoorg (back to usual 6 miles at usual easy pace)
    Fatozzig (30 min core + upper body ST at 3:30AM)
    Holly ( 3 TM miles before a 7:30AM meeting)
    Evanflein (31 min of post-marathon pool running)
    Mike (6 miles with frozen hands)
    Spacityrunner (4.1 miles with hillage in IRC, and with a sunset)
    C-R (4 easy recovery, post-trip miles)
    Mariposai (8 miles at dusk with a sunset)

Funny that Jlynne and Tomwhite posted about the same NPR story about phobias. Have we ever had a discussion about our phobias? Or are we afraid to go there...

Tammy, I'm sorry about David's injury, but it may work to his benefit to develop some ambidextrous skills.

Sounds like a great trip, Doug!

Twocat, I never really developed a taste for whiskey - except in chocolate cakes…

Very creative use of cardboard, Leslie.

Holly, that is such a wonderful story about the 89yo woman. How great that there is one less thing that she has to worry about. And how great that you helped her realize that she had achieved that goal. You are amazing.

Great post-trip photos, C-R.

5.1 E-Z miles this morning in 24 refreshing degrees (30 degrees cooler than yesterday morning), with the WC at 14. And tomorrow is supposed to be cooler still.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thank you just one more time for your recaps every day. I suspect that takes a little bit of work on your part. Were you wearing shorts this morning?!

Phobias? I might have a couple

Holly - you're awesome.

An hour on the elliptical this morning with 25 minutes of weights and core. Foot is feeling better (she said, knocking on wood) so I'm going to try running tomorrow for the first time in a week. Missing the happy endorphins lately...

58 days until school lets out....but who's counting?

Have a great Friday everyone!

Dave59

I stopped at the gym on the way home from work yesterday and got in a workout.

This morning it was back to winter gear as i was 32° and windy.  2 days ago I was in shorts and a t-shirt.  I was sick to my stomach this morning so I ended up walking a lot.  Covered 4 miles of asphalt.

Tramps

Wednesday’s storm front brought down branches and trees everywhere.  We lost power and it wasn’t restored until late Thursday.  Our house generator kicked in and provided basic power on Wednesday but we turned it off to go to sleep and I could not get it working again Thursday morning. (I suspect it’s a circuit board issue but still don’t know for sure.)  So no power, no water, no Internet, etc. resulted in an unplanned rest day (Do I really want to run if I can’t shower afterward?) and a mixed up day overall.  Thankfully back to normal today.

EZ 5 miles today, stopping from time to time to pick up good-sized branches still lying in the road.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Good morning dear RA family.

Jay, thanks for the recap. You know how much we enjoy reading them.

Jlynne, wha type of  floating divice do you use for your pool running? I wish you luck with your running test tomorrow.

Dave59, you are having the crazy weather like we are. Two days ago was 40, yesterday was 32 and today is snowing on and off.

Holly's story from yesterday is still making me smile.

I am so ready for spring to come. Training this winter was hard, but I did run 161 miles in Feb. The most miles for me since September of last year. Tomorrow is a 20 miler for me. Today I am planning to rest, unless I have a hard day at work and I need to pound the streets Smile

Here is a picture of one of the mountain passes I enjoy when summer comes and I can drive there to run my long runs on the trail. This is Washington Pass.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi All

I haven't been running lately - mojo issues?  And wanting to give my knee a rest after the run I did last week with the sharp pain.  I need to start something though, even if just lots of walking.  I've been having lots of aches and pains, generalized, and they do seem to go away if I am exercising regularly.

Impressive running mileage for Feb Mariposai!  And I know that shot!  Gorgeous.  I didn't know there was a trail there you could run on....

Holly, what a wonderful story - so glad that woman got her money finally.

Phobias?  Well, I don't like caves.  Always worried they will cave-in.  I guess that is a bit of a claustrophobia thing.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

(Do I really want to run if I can’t shower afterward?) 

No.  The answer is, without a doubt, no.

Phobias?  Hmm . . . I used to be terrified of port-a-toilets.  There was no doubt in my mind the seat would break and I'd fall in. I would grip the handicap bars like they were a life line.  If we went camping for a couple of days, I simply wouldn't go to the bathroom, except for #1.  If it was longer than a couple of days . . . woe was me.

Holly's story yesterday was wonderful!  The only thing about it that made me angry is that it took 6 years - 6 years! - for the woman to get the benefits to which she is entitled.  How is that even remotely okay??  Our veterans and their families deserve better.

Tammy - How's David doing?

My rigged desk - it's just a hair too low sitting on the keyboard shelf, so I find my self hunching (more than normal).  I'm trying to figure out how to push forward with the real sit/stand desk those of us who asked for are supposed to be getting without stepping on toes.  It's supposed to be our office manager's responsibility, but she's also our bookkeeper and has been up to her eyeballs in work with no relief in sight.  *sigh* I just need to go talk to my boss . . . .the major procrastinator . . . 

Have a great weekend, friends ~~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie - can you just go buy the standing desk thingie and get reimbursement right away? almost all our secretaries have the Varilux one (I think that's the brand?) and love them. Seems this is a medical necessity so should be purchased asap for you. 

wonderful story yesterday Holly. Glad you were not only able to help this woman decipher the mumbo-jumbo but that it had such a great outcome for her!

David is doing better. Wears the brace most of the time. Says he still wakes up a few times at night from the discomfort though.  He has  a follow up with an orthopedist next Wed and he's hoping at that point he'll be released to normal activity.

mta: last night we had steak for dinner, so I asked if he wanted me to cut up his steak. He said "yeah, it's kind of hard to do that" and I said to him  "I draw the line at wiping your butt though (yeah, dinner table talk at our house  Wink. He laughed and said that one has proven to be a real challenge!

so thanks for mentioning that one yesterday - I honestly hadn't even given that a thought until you brought it up. lol

4 mile run for me yesterday after work. today is a rest day though. DH and I are going to a concert tonight, so it'll be a late night (for us at least) and I'm meeting up with a friend to run 12 tomorrow. Supposed to be off and on rain for the next week, and am hoping for more off than on during our run tomorrow.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 and change. Glorious cool day, bright sun and a bit of a breeze.

Phobias ? I don't really have any.

I am not good with heights as a rule, man made ones (towers/lighthouses) are much worse than natural ones (cliffs) for some reason.

Not a fan of bugs, and I react pretty strongly to bug bites, so that's just self preservation.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Sit/Stand Desk - This is the one I want, 70" long.  Using monitor arms, it would give me desktop room for files, etc.  My buddy, Karen, has these for her docs and I had a chance to check 'em out when I was up in Portland.  Really nice, high quality for not a high price.  Although, with the longer length and a couple of bells and whistles, the cost would be about $1,000 - free shipping.  Not a small sum, but then again . . .

I need to talk to my boss and get his opinion.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, that looks similar to what some folks around here have. The only issue some have is the height of the keyboard compared to the monitor, but that's a minor issue and easily adjusted. Mine is a unit that attaches to my desk, and the monitor and keyboard can be raised or lowered but the actual desk is the old stationary desk. It's ok for giving the sit/stand option, but the keyboard tray is fixed and in the way when I want to use the other side of my desk. Kind of annoying, but better than nothing.

Like Nancy, I can't wait for spring! And that'll come a lot later for us than the rest of you. While Holly looks forward to March, I look forward to April when we really start seeing warmer days and melting snow (and lots of mud). This morning was very cold again with temps in the mid-minus-30's in town, and -29 at campus when I got dropped off. Hopefully these cold temps are on the way out, but with our clear skies we'll still get really cold nights even as the sun gains strength and can warm up the days. One side benefit of the clear cold nights is our Aurora Borealis displays have been beautiful lately. We came home around 8:30 last night and the lights were dancing all across the sky.

I'll head out to the pool soon, more pool running on the schedule today.

One side benefit of the clear cold nights is our Aurora Borealis displays have been beautiful lately. We came home around 8:30 last night and the lights were dancing all across the sky.

Some day I'm going to see this!

Re the desk - what I think will help re the keyboard is attaching my keyboard tray under the desktop.  The desktop looks thick enough to do so.  Or if not, the company sells keyboard trays.  If it's a matter of needing the keyboard higher than the desktop, well that's what unused law books are for!    (I currently have the 2006 and 2007 VerdictSearch books - 3 levels worth - under my fancy box to have the keyboard lifted more.)

My frustration lies in the partners knowing how I've rigged my desk - they all walk by my office on a regular basis - and no one has said a word, with the exception of a brief comment from my boss a week ago.  When I told him I'd sent our office manager the link to what I thought was a good desk for about $1,000, he said, "We'll see."  . . . . I just need to quit griping and do something about it. 

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

C-R

Happy Friday everyone.

Busy day. Too many things not yet completed. Did book my business trip to Germany. 2 weeks. Not real happy. That's two weeks away from the family but......

Got a 5k today and that's all I had time to do.

Great pic mariposia. Would love to run there.

Good luck with the desk quest Leslie.

Gotta jet. Work isn't going to get done by itself.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just dropping in to say hi and let you know that I ran 10 miles, today.

We're off to have our taxes done!  Then go drink...heavily!  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly's story yesterday was wonderful!  The only thing about it that made me angry is that it took 6 years - 6 years! - for the woman to get the benefits to which she is entitled.  How is that even remotely okay??  Our veterans and their families deserve better.

Exactly!  The Aid and Attendance pension, for wartime vets or their surviving spouses aged 65 or over, is HUGELY underpaid - nearly 90% of the folks eligible don't even know it exists.  Add to that that the VA makes it very difficult for the layman to get it, and adds many delays to the process.  Even for me, who does this every day, it can be very cumbersome.  Considering the fact we can spend $1.5 million on ONE Tomahawk cruise missile, I can't believe it is so hard to get a pension for a wartime vet or spouse that pays $1,153-2,174/month toward assisted living or home caregivers.  With my 89yo lady yesterday, she could very well have died before it got approved.  BTW, I didn't just leave her with the decision - the VA wanted to appoint a fiduciary for her due to her blindness, so I filled out the form requesting that her daughter be appointed and sent it to the Fiduciary Hub by fax and mail today, and we called the daughter together to inform her of the good news, and also so I could walk her through the process of being appointed as fiduciary and what will be expected of her, leaving her with my contact info in case she had future questions  Also, I carefully instructed her not to reveal to those around her that she was about to receive money - this can be very dangerous for the elderly.

Okay, off my soapbox....

Tammy - My DS fell off his skateboard years ago and hurt his wrist, but since it was not swollen or bruised and he could move it, I thought it was okay.  However, after 2 days when it still hurt, I took him for x-rays and it turned out to be broken. (Bad mommy!)  Anyway, better to check than not.  Glad it is only a sprain.

Tramps - I hate power outages!

Nancy - Beautiful picture!

Erika - Brrr!!! I guess I can't complain about our 23 degrees and windy...You are made of tougher stuff than I.

C-R - great pics, love walks in the woods...

No run for me today, swimming instead - 60 times across the pool (1500 yards) and some crunches.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."