Masters Running

A Flatlander runs the Hills - a Boston RR (Read 487 times)

The weekend in Boston turned out to be everything I imagined and more. Good people to meet (and re-meet) in person. A race and a course to remember. A beautiful city of culture, history, energy, and contrasts of old and new.

But it didn't start out that way. Saturday and Sunday were cold and drizzly - 40s and upper 30s at night - with a solid wind. Brrrr. The Expo was well organized, large, and interesting. It was very crowded though - elbow to elbow really, though to be fair, we were there at probably the worst time possible; 2:00 PM Saturday. If I ever try another "New and Improved" energy supplement or drink, shoot me, okay? Ugghhh. Most of those things were awful. I'll stick to my tried and true GU and Clif Bars.

Sunday afternoon we went to Robin's party. This has become sort of an annual event that is a must-go-to. Many friendly, happy, healthy people. And food and drink. Lou has posted a bunch of great pictures. Peter has posted some on FB. But I can't seem to get mine uploaded so mine may have to wait till next week. Sorry.

The weather forecast had me a bit undecided how to dress for the race. Long sleeve shirt? Short sleeve shirt? I finally decided to go with the UF Gator look. A blue and orange short sleeve shirt with a Gators headband. I had picked up some arm warmers Saturday so I decided to wear those as well for warmth. And a sleeveless wind breaker over that.

On race morning I met a friend from home to take the bus to the start.  Here is a Tip from this now-experienced-Boston runner:  The busses line up along Tremont next to the Boston Common.  Each bus has its own line.  Walk to the busses in the middle and line up for one of those.  Our line only had about 50 runners in it.  The lines on either ends were scary long.

Once we got going it was a bit daunting to see just how far we rode on that school bus to get 26.2 miles away.  We're going to run this far?  Once we got to the start area, it was windy and cold.  Eventually we choose a spot to wait it out.  Two runners plopped down next to us.  I looked up and it was Steve (Perchcreek) and Harriet (PDR).  Wow!  What are the odds?

It’s no surprise I suppose to say I was worried about the late hills.  I tried to do some hillwork during training, but really my anthill overpass just doesn’t do much.  And then a late hamstring injury curtailed any more of that.  So I decided that what I should do is run easy, save some energy for the hills, and if I felt okay, push it at after Heartbreak Hill.  And I would run even effort – same effort uphill, flat, and downhill – which had worked for me well in NYC 2007.

I tried not to have a time Goal, as I wanted to make sure I enjoyed and took in the day.  Clearly a PR wasn't happening here.  But really if I was able to run a sub-4 hour marathon with these hills I’d be very satisfied.

Once the race started, the first 9 miles are basically downhill, and I had heard that lots of runners blow their race on this downhill section by going too quick.  So I started easy as I had planned.  Whenever I thought about it, I eased off and went easier, if that was possible.  But I could see how someone would want to really scream down this section.  It was tempting.

I don’t think I’ve ever been passed by so many runners.  But I kept to the plan and held back, telling myself that I needed energy for the hills.  I also reminded myself that everyone in this race is similarly dedicated and had run well enough to qualify (most anyway) so I had to expect a lot of good runners to go by me.

There were hills everywhere and very little was flat.  But the scenery was great and the weather turned out to be ideal.  I stole a small bottle of water at Robin’s party (don’t tell her!) and carried it from the start.  This was nice because I could skip by all the early water stops.  I think I finally ditched the empty bottle at 8 or 9 or so.  As we approached the half I heard the crowds get louder and the guy next to me said “Here come the Wellesley girls!”  This surprised me because I was thinking they were at mile 15.  Nope.  Mile 12 basically.  Everyone comments on this section and I can see why.  They were incredible and I high fived a bunch of young lovelies.  This gave me a shot of adrenaline that lasted for 2 miles or so.

Every time I crossed a timing mat I thought of all of you tracking us.  Like at Columbus, I just ran and didn’t look at my time.  I’ve become convinced that the way to run a good marathon is to let the pace for the day come to you rather than to force a pace on the day.  Proper pacing is critical.  Not looking at the time helps me with this.

Eventually, the miles passed and the hills loomed.  I decided to try to run every hill and not walk any of them.  Once walking starts it can become a habit and become a death march.  I did not want this today.  So as we turned onto Commonwealth I steeled myself to start moving up.  Looking back, the first one may have been the most difficult but I got up it okay.  I knew there were 4 hills but never really noticed the 2nd hill.  I passed mile 20 and saw the KR/RA people.  That was another adrenaline shot!  I worked my way up what I thought was Heartbreak.  I crested it and it got flat and I’m feeling happy that I made it oevr the hills in okay shape.  I glance forward and see another hill.  Oops!  This one must be Heartbreak, not the previous one.  But I was still happy so I ran up nicely and saw that famous Tudor House.

Miles 22 to 24 are downhill but I didn’t have much left.  The legs were tired though the downhills helped some.  I picked it up a little but don’t really know for sure if I did or not, as I haven’t checked the Garmin laps yet.  But from here on in the plan was to just run the rest of the way (and not walk) and I was pretty sure I’d get the sub-4.

Eventually I saw the famous Citgo sign.  I was expecting a little gas station on the corner Citgo sign but this one is monstrous like a Times Square billboard.  I got to it eventually, turned right onto Hereford, and then took the famous left turn onto Bolyston.  The Finish is still ½ to ¾ of a mile but I could see it at least, so I kept plugging through to the end.

5K 27:21

10K 27:22

15K 27:03

20K 27:43

25K 27:57

30K 28:38

35K 28:44

40K 28:09

Final time:  3:55:15 (8:59 pace)

Half time:  1:55:30 (a positive split but that’s to be expected here I suppose!)

Later we went to meet everyone for a post-race celebration.  Lou’s beer was as good as expected.  The Grandchild is absolutely adorable.  And everyone congratulated everyone for strong races all around.  The real heroes of this day were Karin and Erika for their PR-smashing Races.  Outstanding!

The next day DW, Erika, and I walked the Freedom Trail … me slower than anyone else as the legs were sore and tired.  Probably 3 to 4 miles total (we took the “T” back).  At the Bunker Hill memorial, the girls wanted to climb to the top (294 steps).  I couldn’t let the girls wuss me out so I followed them up.

That turned out to be a stupid thing to do.  The legs quivered when we got down, but I didn’t say a word.  Can’t show any weakness ya know?  I’m a Marathoner.  But I was feeling that bit of stupidity.

Today DW dragged me all over Boston.  First we went on the Sam Adams Brewery tour.  Torture.  Had to drink 3 different Sam Adams beers before 11AM.  From there she dragged me to the Markets, Cheers for lunch, the Wharfs, to MIT, and back.  We’ve eaten great and I’m feeling the weight.  The calories lost during the race have been recaptured and then some.  Tomorrow DW and I take the train down to Manhattan to spend a few days there before going home.

I may try a small run tomorrow, but as expected my legs are beat.  Not sore really, but tired.  But the hamstring has given me absolutely no problems whatsoever.  As soon as it came, it went away.  I kept waiting for hamstring pain to start during the race but it never did!  That was a big shock.

Could I have run faster?  I doubt it.  I did what I planned and it went well.  I had little left to push anymore the last 5 miles.  Holly called me a Sandbagger a few times but I still like her anyway.  I’m very happy with my race and with the weekend and especially my new and strengthened friendships.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I've been waiting for this report!  I'm so happy you had a good experience in my old haunts and that you ran such a smart race.  Congrats!  You're too funny with the steps at Bunker Hill--that's when you look around and find something else that really interests you and you tell your chums to run along, you need to go investigate that historical marker/check out that bookstore/take some photos of that fascinating archetecture across the street, etc.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
      evanflein

What a wonderful report! I'm so glad you were able to go to Boston and run the marathon in a really good time! I think the hills have become something of lore and everyone is freaked out about them at first, but then they aren't as bad as imagined after all. I was hoping your hamstring would behave itself and you'd have a good run. Sounds like that's what you got. And it was so fun to traipse around the Freedom Trail with you and your DW. You two are such a delight and I loved spending Tuesday with you! (and tell DW thanks again for lunch! It made a great dinner on the plane, too!)
        SteveP

Your hard work and dedication paid off Bill. I like the necklaces you and Deb wear wearing in Lou's pictures. I've looked forward to this RR and am looking forward to seeing you at the Bayshore.

SteveP

Tramps

Could I have run faster?  I doubt it.  I did what I planned and it went well.

That's the definition of a great race!  Congratulations!  You seemed to take it all in stride, so to speak, and executed smartly.  Great job. I'm really happy for you that it went so well.

And it was great to meet you and Debbi (sp?).  Remember, DW and I owe you a beer.  I'm thinking a punk bar next time.

ETA: Oh yeah, I laughed at the Citgo sign comment.  I thought that baby was infamous by now! 

Be safe. Be kind.

I really liked your idea of not watching the watch and holding back early.  It must take away so much to be obsessing over time during a marathon that is so much more than about what time you ran.  I can't believe you haven't looked at the splits yet, but that can wait right?  I'm jealous you got to meet all these boomers and have such a fun time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

We're so happy you had a great Boston experience. You trained so hard for this, Bill. It sounds like the race was everything you were planning and hoping for. Glad you got to hang out with some of the other RA people and enjoy some of the Boston sights as well. Congratulations!
                  Welcome to New England!  Yes, there are hills!  The hills have hills!  No, we do not have mountains (go run with Wildchild if you want those) but hills we have lots of.  Still, it sounds like a great job running them given what you had to train with.  Plus "having" to drink all that beer must have been torture which was at least offset a tiny weeny little bit by the 26.2 path through the most famous race among marathoners there is!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Burger Bill, congrats on doing Boston.  Both running the marathon and surviving the walking tours and vacation days.  Great report.  But, arn't you supposed to try new things on a marathon race day.  Isn't that why they give away the free stuff for you to try.  Sounds like you had a wonderful race and a good time walking the Freedom "Trial" the next day.  Friendships are the best part.  Congrats again.  After all it was "Boston".

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Maniac 505

Thanks for the RR,  It brings back so many memories.  It sounds so much like my last boston trip.  I too did the freedom trail and the stair climb the day after Boston.  When I got back down, someone with a marathon shirt said in amazement "You climbed that?"   just got to take your time   

congrats on a greta race.

Dave

soooooooo happy for you!!  you ran a great race and it was so fun meeting you and your wife at Robin's!!

congratulation - you ran Boston!!

denise

breger, you came up with a smart plan and executed it well.  Congrats on a great marathon.  I am envious of all of you meeting each other and having such a good time.

TomS

Bill!

I so enjoyed this report and the first two sentences say it all. Better than the report though was meeting you and your wife, albeit too briefly amidst the swirl of Sunday. You did it! You ran the Boston Marathon after working with determination and focus to get there. Congratulations. You set your plan to enjoy the experience and took each mile (and each "hill") in stride. Well done friend.

Karin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

A super congratulations Bill.  You've run Boston now and in a good time and had a good time so life is good!

It was amazing that PDR and I plopped down in the sea of runners and there you were next to us.... good omen!

Just look back at all those BQ attempts and the ups and downs in confidence which you conquered..... you should have planted a flag at the top of Heartbreak Hill to mark your victory!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

coastwalker

Hi Bill,

Sounds like a greta trip to Beantown, and very well-run race. Congrats on a wonderful weekend, and on mastering the Boston course. I guess running those anthills did the job after all.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.