Masters Running

Monday's daily, 10.16.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts/races:
    Twocat (Melbourne Marathon in 3:49)
    RunnerKSA (5.8 morning miles)
    Jlynne (15 min of abs & core stuff before coffee & NY Times)
    Rochrunner (4 miles loop from home in mild, cloudy, damp, windy weather)
    Holly (10 warm & windy miles, some with local runner friends)
    Catwhoorg (11.75 miles with 20 min at tempo)
    Stumpy (2.2 refresher miles)
    Trumps (48 nice & EZ bike miles with TriBee)
    Mike (8.1 pre-movie miles)
    Pfriese (16 round the lake trail miles)
    Spacityrunner (3.6 late afternoon neighborhood miles)
    Opus77 (4 before-dark miles in FL)
    TsmmyinGP (7.5 miles, including 3 each with B&B)
    Evanflein (windy marathon #43 in VT in 3:56)

Wow! We finished dinner on Sunday and Twocat hadn’t started the Monday post yet! 

Jlynne, I remember the days when we’d sit on our front porch with the Sunday Times and while the morning away. I sure wish I had that kind of time again…

Good luck on your trip, Opus77.

Welcome back to running, Stumpy.

Keep ‘em on their toes, Tet!

Congrats on a great race, Evanflein, especially with serious windage. Travel home safely.

I got the lawn mowed yet again yesterday, and cut some wood pieces for a picture post (https://picturepost.unh.edu/index.jsp) we're putting up by the pond across the street. You can put one up where you live too. We tried a new recipe for dinner last night (garlicky beef tenderloin with orange horseradish sauce), and it was right tasty. It went well with roasted potatoes and sauteed asparagus.

I had some aches in my right leg late yesterday and overnight (IT band?), so I decided a rest day was a good idea for today.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, all, for the good thoughts for my daughter.  It's never easy to get divorced, but as a priest she had to write a letter to her congregation (which she has to leave because it isn't full-time and she needs more now) and it is all very sad.

4 miles this morning and my phone won't charge, which is a crisis for me both personally and work-wise.  Ugh.  I guess I'll be heading to the Apple store since none of the fixes are working.  2.3 miles after work on the treadmill.     6.3 for the day.  That pace bunny is going DOWN!!!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Ran 4 this morning.  47°.  Still shorts and short sleeves but I did wear light gloves because my hands get cold. Tomorrow morning it will be in the 30s and time for a long sleeve shirt.

It took me an least 5 hours yesterday but I finally finished plowing through the biography of Alexander Hamilton (by Ron Chrenow).  The 731 page book has been sitting on my "to-be-read" stack for a long time. It's been there since before the Hamilton musical came out. It was a good book, packed with fascinating information, but so much information that I tended to only read a little at a time.  I finally decided to get it done.  

I doubt there would have been a United States of America without Alexander Hamilton. I hadn't known how important he was to the formation of the government. 

Next book I think will be a light David Baldacci novel. Try to clear my head of all this information.

Tramps

Jay--I'd never heard of picture posts; interesting.

KSA--Yeah, I imagine there's an additional layer of difficulty for your daughter in a position like that.  Hope it all works out.

Glad to see Erika do so well just two weeks after Steamtown.  Impressive!

And that was quite a comeback for 2cat.  Nicely done.

Did some exercises waiting for the rain to stop and went out for my 2.5 mile run. Finished up and realized I'd never started the Garmin.  Oops.  Though it doesn't really matter these days.

Be safe. Be kind.

I was right that yesterday's Detroit Marathon was affected by the wind almost like Erika's was. I remember the course well, and from the direction it was coming from, the last two miles or so for the full marathoners was directly into the wind down a wide boulevard with no shelter. Plus the warmth and humidity. Ugh!

Anyway, I ran 4 miles again this morning, but at 20+ degrees cooler than yesterday morning, and felt the better for it!

Partway along, I saw a large doe up ahead waiting to cross the trail at exactly the same time and place as I saw a deer (same one?) when I ran that way a few days ago. She must have been one of the deer that breeds twice a season around here since she was accompanied by four of her offspring: two medium-sized youngsters and two more just out of the fawn stage. Typical of our deer, she waited there until I was less than ten feet away before bounding back a few yards until I passed.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I, too, had not heard of picture posts before.

RunnerKSA - tough for your DD, to lose a spouse and job in one fell swoop.

Tramps - Steamtown was only one week ago.

Erika - great job on your windy marathon.  I can't believe you came within 7 seconds of last week's time.  You are amazing!

I know we didn't write a Steamtown Marathon report (I have trouble typing on the flat laptop keyboard I travel with and was too busy when I got back), but it was definitely warm and humid, with the rain at the start turning into moist warm air that stuck around.  I think it was about 68 at the start, and then two hours into the race, I passed a time and temperature sign that said it was 75 degrees, and it just got warmer from there.  I heard a runner saying, "I didn't drive 9 hours to run in this heat.  If I had wanted this, I would have stayed in Atlanta!"  Fortunately, it remained cloudy for much of the race, which I thought made it easier to bear.  My finishing time, 4:33:13, was actually the fastest marathon I have run since 2013.  However, it was also the first one I have run in a while with only one pottie stop....

No run for me today.  I decided to make a renewed effort at getting back to weights and core workouts, so about 35 minutes of light weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

I'll add congrats to Erika's marathon.

Jay - add me to the list of folks looking of picture posts

ksa - good luck to your DD

Only biking for me today because I ran an impromptu fun 5k race yesterday (actually 3 miler).  It was nice to have the start 7 miles from the house versus the last two weeks when we drove 1.5 hours to race.  Saw lots of friends and then GD2 on the way back from the car.

marj

Thanks, Holly.  It was time for her to move on from that church, although she loves the people and they loved her (well, except for the confederate flag folks....).

I think your Steamtown race was really good.  I ran that morning in that general area (south of where you were by 40 miles or so) and it was tough! Congratulations!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein I saw the relive of your Vermont marathon. That course looks awfully dull. Out and back along the exact same route. Some out and back sections are fine. But 100%?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

DAW60

Saturday off, 10 miles Sunday and 6 today.  Volume up another bit with 34 miles last week.

Kudos to Twocat and Evanflein for your marathons over the weekend.

Rochrunner - I am currently working at the old Pontiac Motor site.  My older sister co-oped there from 1973 to 1978.  The site is not very recognizable compared to the 70's. I grew up in Utica and have been living in Clarkston for the last 34 years.

Dave59 - I could have called myself Dave60, but wanted some continuity with my tag of 10+ years on the Runner's World forums.  DAW was already taken here, so I had to add the 60.

-Great Moments in Medicine-

''Hospital calling for Upcoming Appointments''

''yes m'am, can I help you??'' says I

''Yes, we have a Pre-Op on the 18th and Surgery on the 21st''

''..........er..........my surgery is on the 31st''

''but it says 21st on our records''

''????!!!!''''................thud

..........when I regained consciousness, it turned out to be A TYPO...

(sorta wish I had asked them

WHICH HIP

they had down to do)

....sigh......

===============

...but I digress.......

40-min PoolRun with letters

....good running to ya............and remember, Calendars are there for a Reason.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, Masters!  Happy  Monday!  (Easy for me to say, since I'm retired!)

Congrats to Twocat and Erika on your marathons!

RunnerKSA, I'll add my condolences to your DD on her divorce and need for a job change.  She's lucky she has you in her corner.

I think I mentioned my new GPS watch, made by Epson.  I was having a heck of a time getting it to turn on in GPS mode - it kept running in "indoor mode" with the GPS off.  While it still recorded the time, and the approximate distance, I was frustrated about it not working right.  I figured it was operator error, and yesterday I was delighted to finally figure it out!  There are 4 buttons and each has a different function for a long press and a short press.  I was pressing the start/stop button with a long press instead of a short one!  Duh!

Today I met a friend and ran a wonderful 7.6 miles on a beautiful trail (well the Epson said 7.645 miles, but as I've mentioned, that's WAY TOO MANY significant figures!).  Got in some much needed girl talk.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hello Masters.  Got in 5.2 miles along the bay again.  Warm and humid, but a nice breeze off the water made it tolerable.  I enjoy exploring new places. I'm meeting an old USAF buddy tonight for dinner, then early bed time.  I have a 6 AM flight back to Raleigh.  That will be painful!

Coastwalker - I hope the IT band gets better.  Interesting that you coach walkers.  The NC high school association just polled all of us track coaches about adding race walking as an event.  It's a tough call because meets are already so long and we'd have to have 3 certified coaches at every meet.  However, the more kids we can get active and participating in a lifelong sport, the better.  We'll find out how the vote went later this year.

Holly - congrats on the race and the fastest time in years!  That's great.

tomwhite - never leave anything to chance when it comes to medical procedures.  Ask lots of questions and ask everyone what they are doing when they come into the room.  Ask what is in the IV. Ask what the medicines are for and side effects. The number of medical errors made is stunning. My boss wrote a book on this and how you can prepare yourself to minimize being the victim of medical errors.  One of these days I'll tell the story of my "dextrocardia diagnosis" (heart on the wrong side)

Need to cut it short here.  My dinner companion would probably appreciate it if I showered before dinner!

Take care everyone...

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 10 miles, today.  We have a home meet, tomorrow, so I did my "strength" workout on our course while the team did an easy run.  Even though I wasn't doing the same workout, it was still fun being with the kids....and it was fun passing the varsity boys.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go.  See ya!

Hello everybody.  Guess who's back in town??

So obviously I've been off the radar for awhile.  Things got extremely crazy at work with a huge deadline of September 15 and something had to give, which was posting in RA.  Then a little over a week later, we went on vacation for two weeks.  I also hadn't been running, but had been doing my core/ST.  Yesterday, after realizing during our vacation just how out of shape I am, I basically said "screw it" to my issues and started back up "running" with a 30 min walk/run.

I am still having "butt" issues, which I think includes piriformis syndrome.  I've been in touch with a local runner who went through the same thing some years back, and she said she finally got relief through a combination of chiropractic work and massage therapy.  I found a local chiro office that works with athletes, has an in-house massage therapist, and athletic trainer.  Maybe after 8+ months, MAYBE I can finally get this issue resolved. We'll see.

But I plan to be active in here again!  I have missed you all ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance