Masters Running

Thursday, 10/29 Runs, Rests and Updates (Read 378 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Out for 5 miles this morning with Brinkley.    I was going to kind of take it easy, but it turned into a little faster/harder effort.    10:21 / 9:41 / 9:52 / 9:53 / 9:29 - 163 AHR   If I am able to get out for a 3 miler tomorrow morning, I will have a 100 mile month.   It has been a long time since I've seen triple digits for a month.

Sounds like this will be our last mild day - cold air, rain and wind in the forecast tonight through the weekend.

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary! 

Perfect running weather here this morning 47F w/clear skies & lots of soft leafs covering the ground.

6.5 mile group run last evening at 9:15 pace, I found that the hills seem unusually difficult, not fully recovered yet, I guess.  This morning easy pace 5.3 miles at 9:45 pace. 

Go for the 100 miles Mary, these small things can have a hugh effect sometimes.    

Thanks you everyone for your gracious comments on my vacation report.

Denise, yes I think Mike's Pastry is the best I'm down to the last package of pitzels but my MIL is 100% Italian & will be making some, that also excellent, for Thanksgiving & Christmas  Now I have to find who  can make comparable  CHEESECAKE  That's my 5th trip to Mike's but the 1st time I got to park right at the front door, so I think it was my destiny .

Teresa, I did think about you as we approached Portland.  We looked over the Old Port area & ate at Becky's Diner.  If I lived in area I could be a regular at Becky's it seems like my kinda place.  Observatory was closed, is now only open on weekends, so we missed that.    Did we hit Freeport on a great day or are the discounts always so hugh? 

My foot is doing fine 90% of the time, arch is tender to touch after running & big toe has a slight tingling feeling & a little stiff up near the ankle if I sit for several minutes. 

DW ran 20 minutes on treadmill Tuesday (yeah) & is going to try 25 minutes (right now).

Jeanne continued best wishes for Will

Now I'm going to start my preliminary search for next years vacation.  Starting my search with the Washington/Oregon area.  I know we have lots of RA'ers in the Pacific NW so I'm expecting some ideas. 

Have a wonderful day!!! 

ps:  Marathon lesson learned- gel & gatorade do not mix

Marathon recovery lesson learned- cheesecake & coffeee mix very well

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Still no running...achilles are still very sore (and the blister is still there).

No more complaining - I did get a nice workout in this morning.  Fizzy lifting and stepperfication.

PBJ Jr. has finished his Halloween costume - he's going as Teddy Roosevelt from his pre-presidency, rough rider days.  It's a great costume (especially the mustache, hat and glasses.  Hope the weather cooperates.

Good morning good people. Mary - congratulations on your 100 mile month. Do you have any races that you're considering? Hey - isn't this the weekend for your glass show?  I hope you sell out.

Great run this morning, Sarge. How could you possibly top the great vacation you had this year? I bet you'll figure out a way.

PBJ - what a great idea for a Halloween costume. Wonder how many kids will know who he is. Hope you get some relief from your achilles and that blister goes away. Hang in there.

PDR - Nate is so beautiful. I hope you took that picture and put it in a frame where you can walk by it about 10 times a day.

Teresa - thanks for the article about the athlete who overcame transposition of the arteries. I've printed it out and will give it to the kids when I see them tomorrow.

7 miles for me this morning at 7:00 AM. Wish I could say I ran them at a 7:00 pace, but I'd probably be in cardiac arrest if I ran that fast . I did come home and jump rope for 7 minutes though.

Have a great day everyone.

4 easy miles in the PNW rain...
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Morning, gang!

Mary - by all means - go for the 100!

{{{{{{{{Sarge's foot and PBJ's Achilles}}}}}}}

Jlynne - so happy to hear Will is doing well.

PBJ - very cool costume - we'd love to see pictures (hint, hint).  I'm hoping the predicted rain for Saturday will wait until the late late evening.

Can anyone tell me how 2 days off of work can lead to a whole week of backlogged work???  I feel like I'm never going to catch up (probably an overstatement, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it).  I'm being a sloth this week - the yoga instructor is out with the flu, I've only made it to the gym for one weight/core workout, and I haven't done any runs.   Will hopefully get in a short-long run this weekend - weather permitting. 

Back to the workpile........

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

PDR – what a cutie little Nate is!  And how did he get so big so quick?

Sarge – those soft leaves covering the ground are also covering potholes, sidewalk cracks, walnuts, buckeyes, etc. - scares the heck out of me!    Mostly I’m running down the middle of the street to avoid those hidden hazards.

PBJ – I hope you do post a picture of that Teddy Roosevelt costume – very cool idea!  I feel sort of bad that I’ve been too busy to help much with costume ideas for my kids this year.  DD and I looked through costumes we’ve kept from years past, and she decided to go as a hippie again this year, using the beaded vest and tie-die shirt we made together the year before last, along with a bandana and a big glittery peace sign necklace we made. I can't seem to get the picture to post, but here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36669806@N00/1807260095/ 

This will be DS’s last year trick-or-treating, and he’s going as a blind referee.

Now that cold weather is moving in, I’m going to start doing my “half-outside-half TM intervals” runs a couple times a week.

4.80 miles outside, followed by these intervals in the TM:

(5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph)  x  4

(pace translation: 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30)

1 minute walk

(1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00])  x  5

8.25 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Nice run Mary!  WTG getting back up to 100 miles.  Smile

Sarge, gel & gatorade together?    glad to hear your DW is running again.  

PBJ that sounds adorable. I'll second Holly's request for pictures.    AT hugs.

Jlynne, that's funny.   Hey... I was at a local wine shop the other day & they had glasses that reminded me of yours in their window, I think they were selling them for $24, or close to that. 

morning Gordon!   nice rain or cold & windy? 

Hi Sue!   so happy you're back.      ... I don't really know how or why but maybe it's because you lived in Michigan.  same thing happened to me.  still not caught up. 

Holly, I have the same opinion of those soft leaves!  though I love to walk through them.  But not running.  I even changed my route at the river because one section is just too thick with them.     This morning I ran around my neighborhood & was doing the serpentine thing... up & down, road & sidewalk,   That's a great idea for your DS... did he think of it?   In your new house... no more TM in the garage?

PDR PBJ is right.  he is a cute punkin.  Smile

Thanks for the knee thoughts yesterday... I was careful this morning.   Only did 3.4, 9:58 average pace, 8:23 max.  miles were 10:13, 9:57, & 9:44.      Rosie I'm trying to get my SEP faster too.  It seems like a good plan.

Sarge – those soft leaves covering the ground are also covering potholes, sidewalk cracks, walnuts, buckeyes, etc. - scares the heck out of me!    Mostly I’m running down the middle of the street to avoid those hidden hazards.

Yes Holly, I swear a acorn tried to kill me  No Buckeye trees in my neighborhood, those could be pretty bad...
                    I know every crack in the road on that route unfortunately  someone keeps movin the sticks & acorns  

Sarge, gel & gatorade together?    glad to hear your DW is running again

Yes dg, I took gatorade 2 miles after my last gel & it seemed to just sit there sloughing around.

DW did 25 minutes today on treadmill but she's still afraid of the road.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Do Buckeye trees only grow in Ohio??   Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

I was hoping to get out for a snowy run today, but it's only 15°.  Our plow truck isn't working right now, and our neighbor hasn't plowed us out yet, but yesterday DH did manage to get his pickup out and drove to the mailbox to pick up our mail (1.7 miles away).  So I at least have tire tracks to run in, but the snow is knee deep and I'm thinking that doesn't sound like much fun.  So maybe I'll take the dogs for a walk later and scope out the conditions. Once I make it out to the top of our road where the county plows, it might be more runnable but I'll need yaktrax.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Do Buckeye trees only grow in Ohio?? Mary  Actually that's a good question which I know the answer to because I took nature guide training for a local park several years ago.

They only grow naturally within 100 miles of the Ohio River but many have been planted further North & who knows where.  We don't want them in Michigan

DOn't know if they're Buckeyes or Conkers (any Brits here?) but our sidewalks are covered with big round objects that are green on the outside with a brown chestnut-sized thing underneath.  I'm totally paranoid about falling on one, since I can trip over a twig. 

The Denver storm is just clipping us--to our north, Deadwood has about a foot of snow, but we just have a few inches, so it's a school and work (and I have a dentist appt later today ) day.  I got in a 5 miler yesterday anticipating the snow, so it's a gym day for me.

Here's a little something that will take you less than 2 minutes and I guarantee will tickle you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw&feature=player_embedded

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                            lamerunner

Greetings! Another very nice day here after a cold rainy one yesterday.  I wish I were playing outside.

I got out for a run again this morning, my usual/old 6.5 mile route. Legs  feel increasingly normal but I still feel like I am slow. Foot is hanging in there with just minor twinges.  The last couple of weeks I have been running a day then doing other things for two days in between runs.  Seems to be ok  so far though I am sure I will get restless.

Who knows about the FIRST program ? that might be an approach worth considerng for a bit.

glad Will seems to be doing well. Nate is precious. His little shirt reminds me of the outfits I used to put on my DS when he was a baby.

Happy tapering or recovering as the case may be! 

lamerunner

PS Amy, I ilved in Engalnd for a couple of years as a child and I vivdly remember those big round horse chestnuts ! Not too many trees like that roud here.