Masters Running

Wed Apr 21 Runs and Workouts (Read 640 times)

I haven't been starting the daily, but it doesn't seem to be here yet and I wanted to post the photos I took from mile 20.

http://picasaweb.google.com/WillRunForBeer/BostonMarathon20100419#

I had 5 pain-free miles this morning.  I guess that's good, but maybe had I managed my miles last week a little better I would have been able to run on Monday.  Oh well, I'll look forward instead of backwards, to a half now on May 2.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Lou has the better start - I'll get rid of my daily starter...

Good morning everyone,

It's another beautiful morning here in CT - hope the weather is good where you are.

No run this morning - just a little lifting and a spin cycle.  The spin instructor announced to the class that I had done the Boston marathon.  They applauded.   How embarrassing.  There's no need to applaud someone when they're just having a really good time.

Enjoy the day.

Good morning guys and all to follow. Lou, you got some great pictures on Monday! I'm sorry you weren't on the other side of the camera, but 2011 isn't far off.

PBJ - it's cool your spin class gave you an ovation. Don't belittle your accomplishments. Many of us can only dream of running Boston. Glad you had a good time in the process.

We're also waiting for some RR's from Monday. Write them while your memories are fresh, okay good people?

Erika - are you home yet? Hope the last leg of your flight went well and you can stay awake at work today.

Tom - nice run yesterday!

It's nasty here this morning. Winter-like, almost. 33° and 15-20 mph winds out of the northwest. Opted for a day of cross training at the Y. 5 miles on the eliptical with some machines for legs and stability ball work.

Went shoe shopping last night. Saucony has a new brand out called the Grid GetGo. A neutral shoe that seemed okay, but a little stiff. Has anyone heard anything about this model yet? I'm curious to see if any other RA people who wear the Saucony brand have tried these...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

.  The spin instructor announced to the class that I had done the Boston marathon.  They applauded.   How embarrassing.  There's no need to applaud someone when they're just having a really good time.

Enjoy the day.

PBJ--anyone that runs Boston in a jester's costume has very little capacity for embarassment   Which I'm sure the PBJsters would be happy to vouch for.

eta:  should have looked at Lou's pictures first.  That is a great collection.  I'll have to go back later (when I'm not supposed to be working) and look a lot closer.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

I can't wait to look at WRFB's added pictures!   Thanks Lou!

JLynne - it is cold here too in the mornings.   I'm tired of wearing all the winter gear - it is almost May!!

I was out for 4 miles this morning - 10:23 pace.   I was up a couple of times with Hailey at 3 a.m., the 2nd time letting her come in the house for the night.   So, the alarm at 4:50 wasn't much appreciated - but I got 'er done!  Smile

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Lou

I'll have to save your pic link for home.....might alert the police here.

Jlynne......I'm starting to get excited about Cellcom ! I had an email alert saying they were at 99% capacity for the marathon......this will be the biggest one I've done....not that I've done many.....I'll probably cry like a baby when I hit Lambeau Field.

Work Calls.

evanflein

No Jlynne, not home yet. Sitting in the Anchorage airport waiting for my 6 a.m. flight home (it's 5:05 now). Slept in catnap style on the seats at the gate, maybe a total of 90 minutes. Now working on a mondo coffee from Starbucks.

PBJ, I know what you mean. I don't talk about my running At. All. with other people. Just leads to too many questions (usually starting with "why...?") and I just get tired of it. But, it was sort of cool when DH sent me this link to the Anchorage paper (note... not a peep out of our paper even though there were several Fairbanks runners):

http://www.adn.com/2010/04/19/1240852/alaskan-136th-out-of-26000-in.html?story_link=email_msg

Nice run yesterday, TomS. You've been running very well lately. What's the next race you've got coming up?

Thanks for the photos, Lou. And I hope you continue to improve. You're right though, no sense looking back. Do well at that half.

ETA: Lou, again, thanks! Just went through the photos and how cool to see all the elites! That's something I've never gotten to see before! Awesome, I love how the crowd is cheering on Meb and Ryan!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice article Erika!   I canNOT believe you are not home yet.    I will not complain about being tired today .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thanks for the approximately 20 photos of Ralph, Lou!  Wow.  I guess my hair didn't look as good as I thought... ha ha!

It was SO MUCH FUN to hang out with you at the sausage stand... I mean 20 miles water stop...

What a fun weekend!  Thank you RA runners.  You are neato!

PBJ, great seeing you again.  I love talking to The Long Suffering and the PBJsters.  

Congratulations to ALL of you Boston Finishers!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tramps

Hey folks. Just wanted to thank all the virtual cheerleaders here! 

Today is scramble-to-dig-myself-out-of-work day so I won't have time to goof off or write a RR until later.

But I did see Lou's excellent photos and read Karin's RR about her amazing race...and just now the nice mention of Erika in the newspaper...another amazing race!  RA women ruled Boston!

BTW Lou's close-up of PBJ in the jester hat is a classic.  That ought to be on the cover of a running magazine.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Just enough time for me to post my easy 4 miles around the blooming orchard and to give Erika a huge butterfly hug. I know it will be hard to stay awake today. Take a nap during your lunch hour..OK?

It is great to have the Bostonians back with us.

Oh!!! I need to start ironing my cheerdealer outfit for this weekend...our gorgeous Mrs. Twocat will be running her first half marathon and I am bound and determined to be her cyber space cheerleader. Oh boy...I can't wait...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Lou, thanks for the pictures!!   I'm going through them a bit at a time,   while I work.  .   I really didn't expect a marathon that I didn't run to take 3 days of work time.  ;-).     Anyway....  I so understand how you feel, though at a much different level of course.      I like your attitude.   Will try to emulate.

Earlier this morning I was looking back to refresh my memory on a couple of things & found this.  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/79cdbbb5c96744b89319f735e67f22bc.    Last year's Boston thread..   it was a hoot reading it again.   And it really shows the ups & downs.... wow.     A can't miss..  Karin's nephew! 

do have to work a little, back to overpost in a little while.  

Round of applause for all of you.

lamerunner

Good morning.  .  Great photos Lou; thanks !  Karin and Holly look strong, happy and in control .

I doubt I looked that good though I felt reasonably ok for the most part.  After 22 I was pretty tired of running.

No workout yet, but I will probably swim and maybe pool run a little at lunch. I swam 1500 yesterday and spent a few minutes in the jacuzzi, which is rare for me.

My feet/ankles and lower back are the biggest problems.  Legs a bit tired but not really that sore. Quads are ok.

Congrats to all the Boston runners on your accomplishments. Some fantastic times both at the race & the parties

Thanks Lou, for the photos, it's nice to put a face to the posts

Erika nice article, I do not know how Anchorage runners can get ready for a early Spring marathon that is amazing!

8 miles scheduled later with 5 @ HM pace. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

I’m so behind, both here and at work, so this will be a drive-by while I try to catch up....

4 recovery miles for me today in 44° (ave pace 10:40).  Surprisingly, my legs aren’t really sore at all, just tired-feeling.  The only damage to speak of is the middle toe on my left foot, which developed a pretty big blister in spite of the kiniseo tape I wrapped my toes in.  The other toes faired very well, though, and seem fine today.  All-in-all, seems like I squeaked through with minimal damage – yay!

I tried to watch the finish line video at the WBZ website, but while I know my finishing time, I have no idea what the clock said when I crossed the finish.  Was the clock set to the 10:30 start, or the 10:00 start?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."