Masters Running

Thrilling Thursday Runs (Read 592 times)

Good morning everyone! Where are you today? Vista? Mary? Bill?

A glorious day here today. The heat and humidity finally left the area last night after a brief rain storm. IRC this morning. Sunny, 59° and a light breeze out of the southwest. 8 miles at a zippy 9:01 pace. Did you ever have one of those days where everything just felt great? Today was one of them for me. As I was running down a street near one of the local schools, a group of boys around age 14-15 were standing on the sidewalk. As I approached, they parted and made like a finish line and cheered for me as I ran past. I know they probably thought it was funny, but it made me smile anyway.

My buddy Will and I will be taking a stroller ride to the park later this morning. I hope everyone has some great plans for the holiday weekend. My DS, DIL and I will be running one of the annual 5K races on Sunday morning. That one's always fun. Good luck to all the Bayshore runners - looks like it should be great weather, right?

Enjoy the gift everyone.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm here, I'm here!!   I didn't have time to start the thread this morning as I had to leave the house early.   My boss is treating me to a truck detail job and I had to drop it off.    Of course Hailey would not come when it was time for me to leave.  She gets her head on a critter scent and turns her ears off.   So, once I got to work, I used the shop truck to run home and there she was, just waggin' her tail greeting me.  

Out for 4 with the Brinkster this morning.   The only fartlek was when we spotted a couple of other runners with a dog.   He did his best to get us to catch up to them, I can tell you that much!   Overall 10:17 pace and I probably lost a few pounds in sweat.

It was so kewl to ride my scooter yesterday.   My co-worker gets out of work earlier than I do, but he drove back at 5:00 and rode home with me.  

Wow - awesome run this morning JLynne!!   Have a greta afternoon with Will.    We are heading north to a little town called Gladwin.   My BIL has 75 acres up there and hosting the 1st annual Memorial Day camp-out.    I am looking forward to this SO much!!

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Great start, Jlynne, and hi Mary!

Slept in, then finally got out for 2 mi with Renee and then another 3 mi without.  Ahhhhh, I love it stinkin' hot, and towards the end of my run, it was getting to be so: 70º F and 83% humidity!  Wind was kicking though, so it wasn't that big a deal.

Great runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

...lookin' good guys////////

.......20min xbike standing, poolrun after work tonite.

...........trying to find

the Magic Combination

to ease up these UNEXPECTED hamstring spasms.

..............and without

sounding too whiney

................good running guys.............Enjoy every minute of it......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – that IS zippy!  Nice run!

Marj – congratulations on your 3rd AG win in that huge race – wow!

{{{Enke}}} – truly, my heart goes out to you.  What you’re going through has got to be EXTREMELY frustrating.

Deez4boyz – I hope your new bed helps your back.  Although, don’t be surprised if it takes a few days for you to get used to it.

10 miles today in 67° and 81%, including 2 sets of 6 x 400m (1 min. recoveries), with a 3 minute recovery between sets.  I ran the first set comfortably hard, then the second set I tried to bring the hammer down

2:03    (8:14)

2:01    (8:06)

2:05    (8:22)

2:09    (8:39)

2:02    (8:10)

2:02    (8:10)

1:53    (7:34)

1:49    (7:18)

1:52    (7:30)

1:51    (7:26)

1:47    (7:10)

1:42    (6:50)  (only 400m, I know, but first time I've seen a 6:XX in a while)

Followed by 120 lunges, 120 bench step-ups, and 60 squats (done in 3 sets).  My legs are toast..... 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Good morning ya'll. It seems like folks are having a great Thursday around here. I am a bit in a hurry today since I decided to sleep in until 6. Sleeping in is such a treat around here. After a cozy time with moonie I went out for a 50' run. I have decided that for this summer I will just run for time and not miles. In fact, I am not even wearing a watch. I look at the clock before I open the door to go out and I am looking at the clock when I return. How is that for a carefree style of running.

Tomwhite, you are soooo funny. Your posts ALWAYS put a smile in my face.

Mary, I want to see a picture of yours in that scooter.

Jlynne, have fun with Will. I remember those day! They are priceless.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jlynne- I will not even attempt to top your day. It sounds truly amazing. I hope you enjoy every second of it.

tw- I had a weird hamstring spasm that lasted for 3 days after my trail race last week. Not sure what the magic formula was, but it finally went away. Here's hoping for no high schoolers during your pool run.

hopeful- enjoy the detailing. 

Holly's Legs of Steel video will be on the market soon. Hopefully the Insanity and P90Xers can keep up.

Mariposai- way to spoil yourself by sleeping in until 6. Did you further pamper yourself with a 3 minute shower? Funny what we appreciate. What you call sleeping in many ordinary people would call waking at the crack of dawn.

More bicycle commuting for me today. The Rochester Cycling Alliance is having bike week this week. I will cycle to work every day this week, and hopefully for the rest of the school year too, and do a critical mass ride tomorrow. It is looking like it may be a 200 mile week on the bike. I was going to RAL today but thought it best to LAL. Will run tonight.

ETA You do truly learn something new every day. I just discovered the sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is the scientific term for a "brain freeze." Feel free to dazzle your friends with that one the next time you're drinking frozen margaritas.

Dave59

Running rest day today. 

A little over a year ago, someone told me about a program where you follow 6 weeks of workouts and you can do 100 push-ups (100 Push-ups).

After a couple sputtering starts I finally got going on the program in December.  Almost 6 months later and I'm up to 50 push-ups.

It's a dumb program, but I don't do any other cross training so I am going stick with for a while and see if I can get above 50.

Based on this guy's 100 push-up routine I am thinking of creating a "6-weeks to running a 4 minute mile program."  Each day you run a mile 10 seconds faster than the previous day and you will do it!  (Same principles applied.)

Jlynne - nice run!

Holly, should we just call you Deena?  12 1/2 mile reps, are you a machine?

Dive - we had a similar situation years ago - TV crew came into our workplace, the piece was on some new government program that was going to fund us lots of money.  They talked to one of my coworkers for a while and when I saw the piece on TV they had editied it down to about 5 words - ones that completely changed the meaning of his little spiel.  It was pathetic.  There was a shot of me quietly working away, it was also pathetic but for a different reason.

Sorry about all the whining yesterday.  I have no right to do that.  I woke up extremely tired yesterday and it just never left.  It is so trivial in the bigger picture.  I won't do it again.

Will attempt 6 or 7 later.

Dave - hilarious!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

hi!   

I have a whole list of things I wanted to catch up on from yesterday & before, but can't right now..

Jeanne thanks for the reminder!   check (again) the weather report....

I am hoping it (the Bayshore weather report) is  unchanged,  I didn't handle this morning too well in our wonderful weather which I really do love !  : )     In a 4.05 mile run, I had to walk at least 4 times.   thought I'd be sick otherwise.   Wasn't in the mood!  The pace was ok on the running parts, 9:52 average.  

Enke it is ok, it really is.  You've had to deal with one thing after another.   After another.   I was sending you hugs yesterday too but never got them down in print.   (((((( )))))). 

tw, oh no.   flopping doubles.   oh no.    yep I had to laugh too.

better go, a Sadie run & then, a DO I used to see fit me in today as a favor, my S/I joint which has been really behaving for a while went out last week, & before a 4 hr., drive I'm hoping she can knock it back into place!  Smile

Slo

Cranieum.....Nice job on the bike commute. I commute most nearly everyday. Currently my commute is just shy of 4 miles. After next weekend it will be just under 7 miles (one way). I work as a Controls Tech in a factory. Since I'm in and out of electrical and control panels I need to wear a flame retardent uniform. Most times I just wear my uniform in but now that it has gotten hot I'll bike in on shorts and change once I get here. I'm lucky enough to have an office to do so in.

I slept in this morning so no run.....I did get a quick 4.8 in while I was in Battle Creek yesterday. Very nice area....It was after I got back to the hotel that I learned that muggings and home invasions have taken a sharp increase on the South Side of Battle Creek......I looked out my hotel window and guess what......there was the news van with the Live on-site field reporter I just watched.

Has everyone got thier BBQ menu's workout for the long weekend? I picked up 2 bags of charcol....I'm gonna smell like smoke all weekend !

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, should we just call you Deena?  12 1/2 mile reps, are you a machine?

No, no, these are 1/4 mile (400m) not 1/2 mile reps.  I am NO WAY able to run 12 1/2 mile intervals.  Especially in 2 minutes or less....

And whine as much as you want.  You have every right to, and besides, what are friends for if not to lean on when you need to vent?  We don't mind at all.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne very nice run & way to show off for the new fan club

Nono, you like it stikin' hot?  6.5 yesterday in 88F but mostly in shade & carried water.  To the treadmill this afternoon in the air conditioned gym. 

I have found the stick to do great on the hamstrings.

Craneium great job with your kids running program seems like you taught them well.  I thought I posted on that tread but apparently I did not

Never trust them reporters!  You can talk to them for 20 minutes & the only thing on TV will be the dummest thing you say.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hi all.

I'm on my way north to Bayshore.  Got up and caught an early flight - now on I-75; more or less by Saginaw.  Takes all day to get up there basically.

Nice job on those 12 x 1/2 mile repeats Holly! 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

....I have found the stick to do great on the hamstrings.

..thanks sarge//........worth a shot.......

some days

I feel like Beating Them With a Stick..............probably a BAD idea......

but this

is why I never thought about

Arthritis in my Hips........it's the stuff connected to them that hurt//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....