Masters Running

Monday Monday.... Its Good to Me 7 Jan (Read 376 times)

lamerunner

So sorry Baboon. I feel your pain and hope you heal soon.  I hiope you got a smooth sled ride at least.

I can tell you it is hard and sad to hang out at a ski area and not be able to ski...

Saturday I had a nice hike up Carter Dome ( 4832 feet).  incredibly snowy up high!  Knee held up ok with brace and two trekking poles. I try to avoid extremently steep downhills; this trail was fairly long but not that steep.

Yesterday was 90 minutes of fairly rigorous work on a Spin bike and a short snowshoe in the afternoon. About three minutes of planks each day.

Apparently there is a football game on tonight??

Baboon I am really sorry to hear about your knee.  I sure hope you get to see somebody soon and it heals up as fast as possible.

I have to root for ND since a good friend of mine works there.  Plus my wife is half Irish so that is another good reason!

The multigrain bread was a mixed bag to some extent.  It does taste really (and I do mean really!) good.  Big grin  But it sure is a dense bread.  More like an Irish brown bread than a yeast bread and I sort of wanted to produce a fluffier loaf.  It was my first yeast bread attempt (thanks to my DW getting me a stand mixer) and so once this loaf is gone (which it mostly is already) it will be off to try another bread recipe.

On the cooking front, do any of you have a favorite kale based salad recipe?  I have yet to find one my DW likes and since I really like kale I am not ready to throw in the towel as yet.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Congrats on finishing up in the bathroom, Dave. Pleased with the result?

I had to read that statement three times before my brain didn't insert those bolded words, and I realized it wasn't about TMI.

{{{baboon}}}

I think I missed the sock discussion but have been enjoying the shoe one. Nice blog post, Ribs, once again. It's been touch and go with me as I learn what my more minimalist (oxymoron much?) shoes feel like as they get worn in and worn out. The last couple runs I had with one pair of my Pure Flows gave me shin pain in my left leg, so I thought they were shot. I ran in them today, and made sure to midfoot strike on that left foot, and there was no pain at all. Interesting how one leg will do something different than the other, eh?

8.75 miles today, with several iterations of hills, though not as hill repeats. Average pace was about 30-45 seconds faster than what was called for, oops. Seems I'm still having trouble slowing down, and certainly running those hills didn't help.

Have a great week, all!

mrrun

(((baboon)))

I'm still recovering from cold, so another day of 2-3 miles.  however, it was a fun run in an area I've been exploring near where henrun has PT.  about 2 blocks from the end there was a wonderful bakery that i had to support so ran the final distance with coffee and pastry.  then we ran errands and went for a glorious walk later along the charles.

2cat - i love portuguese kale and chorizo soup, but that's the only way i'll cook it - tried the kale chips over the summer, but that was a major failure.

i'm following posts on shoes/planks/etc, but not commenting......since the redskins lost yesterday, the next games i care about are the P's - packers and patriots of course.

have a lovely evening everyone,

marj

Dave59

I had to read that statement three times before my brain didn't insert those bolded words, and I realized it wasn't about TMI.

I had the same thought. Big grin

I am happy with it.  I took a couple pictures with my phone.  Let's see what I can post.  It's just a bathroom so who really cares. Confused   The floor is heated.  When it is on, the cats don't leave the room.  Heck, they don't even get up.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8359398840_4594599ede.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8358335297_e9fbbaea61.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8377/8359396696_4461b72772.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8358334061_3788206be0.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8359387552_56478cdce0.jpg

TammyinGP

love the bathroom! I think if I had heated floors in the bathroom I wouldn't really want to leave either. that's a nice luxury!

Tammy

Dave59

I never heard of heated floors until Cindy told me she was having them put it.  They are on a programmable thermostat so they are pre-warmed when I get up.

Someone told me you could get heated towel racks too.  Maybe next remodel.

Since I am flooding the forum with photo's, here is my daughter, boyfriend and granddaughter (Lauren, Matt & Annabelle) from the holidays:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8359467934_5e84a4909d.jpg

I like it because Annabelle looks like such a good kid.  Totally out of character. Joking

I

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8358334061_3788206be0.jpg

Dave, I'm pretty sure my shower has that same trim that yours shows in this picture.  I'll see if i can post a picture of mine when i get home.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I was just lying in bed stewing about yesterday`s events concerning what I`m doing over here in the land of sushi and hot springs
                    and, for some reason, got to thinking what Ilene would do if she were in bed too, . . . and then it hit like she said I should do like everyone else in this austere group does when they they`re in bed wondering what to do so I went for a five mile run up-and-down and down both sides of the Dojima River in Osaka thereby matching the total of all training runs (3) and miles (12) I`d done since February 2009 when [WARNING TO BABOON: don`t read the rest of this sentence] my right knee went old on me.

Thanks Tom, I love those purple pills.  I hope they are the right ones for my knee however and not the other ones you said I should take for some
                    reason too like you do

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm with you Norm - being Irish is one reason (both my mother's grandparents came from Ireland) plus I've been a Notre Dame fan all my life - GO IRISH!!

Good luck with that hip issue Jay.

Tramps - I hate those days when the warm ups and cool downs  are a struggle, but you got it done!

Baboon - sorry to hear about your crash, hope you heal quickly.

Ribs - I've been very lucky in that I have never gotten a blister from running and I use "cheap" Wal-Mart "Starter" brand low cut socks for running.  They have been very good to me now for 10 years and very cost effective.

Nice run OM!

Nice job on the Bathroom Dave.

Oh yeah - 5 miles comfortably easy - 42:17 (8:28 Avg) plus my planks @ 90 seconds each.

I'm with you Norm - being Irish is one reason (both my mother's grandparents came from Ireland) plus I've been a Notre Dame fan all my life - GO IRISH!!

I usually cheer for anyone playing against Notre Dame, but in this case I'm for them. For one thing, everyone in Michigan hates Nick Saban for reasons I won't go into, and also Brian Kelly had a couple of good college teams here, including when my DS was at Central Michigan U.

Ran 6 miles with a friend this morning, only to learn that he's leaving for Arizona at the end of the week. That's going to change my running schedule this winter since my other old standby is recovering from a heart-related operation.

Tomorrow it's spinning and swimming on the schedule, so at least that hasn't changed yet!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

jlynne when I have a chance I will gladly post the Cowboy cookie recipe..it's truly amazing..yum first time I had ever done them and I know cookies.

A 30 minute run on greasy, slippery snow covered roads. It was a poor run and hopefully not a sign of getting an irregular heartbeat again. I can start telling because I get hot and need to burp and hotter than normal...hopefully it's just because I had a terrible sleep last night.

Time will tell.

Starting up my Speed Running Group again starting this Thursday. I did them for 2 years in Ottawa, now it's Brockville. smaller area but  hopefully I can build up a good base of runners. I look forward to coaching them to becoming faster. It's free and I am volunteering my time. but so much fun and rewarding.

Have a great night

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

C-R

Way to give back Tall. Hope there are no heart issues.

Bummer baboon. Heal up quickly.

Nice bathroom. I like it. Makes me want to put in those cork floors next weekend in the kids bathroom.

Got a quickish 4 miler completed. Needed some leg tunrover. Felt good when I was done.

Now to settle in for hopefully a good game. Seems pashions run hot or cold on ND. TC - who do you know there? Both DW and I are grads and know several folks working there. We may have a connection.

I'll leave you with some of my favorite images of ND

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Apparently there is a football game on tonight??

What's that?

Off to watch The Graham Norton Show....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

DS signed us up for Netflix. After reviewing several Godzilla type movies, I've become concerned about insurance rates in Tokyo....Gotham City too...There seems to be lots of collateral damage in doing good deeds.

I hope to out grown the deciding if I should not run through it stage of life.

OH My Gossh Baboon!! Heal well man.

I'm anxiously awaiting the heated toilet seat. Love love love the family picture!

As lovely as those pictures are C-R..part of me is afraid that they were taken in the Summer.

Yesterday got us out on the roads for slushy slushy salt and sand miles. Today, DD#2 brought Honey over and we went on challenging trails for an hour on snowshoes. Now she's like to sign up for a 5K with Tag and I. Sweet.

Tag's heard of geese tales. He and Honey read the riot act to a flock of them after today's run. Then the dogs cried because they didn't come back.

SteveP