Masters Running

The not so weekly, weekly newbies. We still rock! 8/24 (Read 281 times)

Me

Good afternoon everyone, I put in 5 miles today. It was 80 degrees, overcast and humid. I was not properly hydrated at the start and did not think to moderate my pace to make up for the temp and humidity. So, it was not a pretty 5 miles, but it was 5 miles. Dedicated to all the servicemen and women killed during this current war. The last mile dedicated specifically to Sgt Steven Ganczewski, US Army, KIA Nov 16, 2007. Peace Everyone. Mike
    Rindaroo

Hi Mike - thanks for starting the new thread. Well I'm really encouraged today. I found a book at the library yesterday called Breathing Free. It talks about most asthmatics having a problem with overbreathing & if you can learn to breathe correctly, then you'll get much better. Honestly, I think this is why I haven't gotten back to normal in the last 3 years. I had starting breathing through my mouth & deeper because I couldn't get enough air. This book has some unblocking the nose techniques & a breathing method to retrain your breathing. I did the first exercise today & WOW it helped me breathe easier. So..... today I got on the treadmill with no meds before or after & did a run walk for 3 miles. Actually it was 10 min walk, 10/3, 10/3, 12/3 runwalk, 4 min walk c/d. Oh & breathing only through my nose! This was amazing, I have never been able to get enough air breathing through my nose, but today I did!! So, we shall see if I get any bronchiospasms...
        The not so weekly, not exactly newbie, runners. Mike, hydration is everything in summer. I've been there too. It hurts. How do you feel now? Linda, great to see you back and breathing well! I know sometimes patients have to find their own treatment. I hope this works for you. Did you say you had it when you lived someone else too? Reason I ask is my breathing changes where I live and being that I was in the navy for way too long I have lived all over the world. New England is the worst. I developed asthma and allergies here. Never had them before. Good enough reason to move west, at least for me. Eliz, where are you? Literally. Where are you? PA or NJ? Ten miles for me yesterday. Did a slow 7 with my usual running partners. Then at the end of our run we saw 2 more runners from the club starting a 4 miler. I went 3 more with them. Some hamstring pain but I melted it away in a hot tub later that night. Big grin Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Hello, Linda, Glad you are feeling better. That is cool that you found this alternative treatment. I hope it works. I think we have been led to believe that doctors know everything, and it eventually becomes obvious that they don't. I just wish someone would inform them of that. Laurie, I'm actually feeling much better (said with my best english accent). I took a nap and drank and drank and drank. 4 miles for me this morning. Everything was good good good. BTW, where the heck is everyone? They're over at the daily thread aren't they? Was it something I said? (sniffing under my arms) I took a shower. Cheers everyone. Mike
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

5.5 hilly trail miles for me and my running partner today. Kids on my son's XC team kept passing us! We tried to avoid DS, but he was hard to avoid. I did successfully manage to avoid eye contact with him, lol. One young lady actually told us good morning! That was a nice surprise. It was hard running, but much easier than last year, so I suppose we're making progress. I told DH he should run on the trails so that he can appreciate how hard our son works! Much harder than running on roads. Up and down and all around! Have a great week of running!
              Theresa, was it a race? I love trails. For some odd reason I run them easier than I do roads. I think its because I slow down and concentrate on footing so I dont really feel the pounding of my body. Mike, dont tell me youre picking up a drawl already. Yall have a good day. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Laurie, my best english accent was referring to the "bring out your dead" scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail. Ya know, it loses something when you have to explain it. I'm going to have to work on that. As far as my drawl. . . I have been throwing "y'all" around some. I must be doing it right because no one notices. I've heard that the trail running is easier on your knees because the ground is softer. I haven't tried that yet. Cheers, Mike
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

No, it wasn't a race, just a training run. Trails are great, because you can't see too far ahead! They make me feel like a kid again, exploring the woods. I haven't had a chance to run on them much this summer due to my injury. I hope the fall is fairly dry so I can run them some more! DS has his first XC race there tomorrow afternoon. I think I'm more nervous about it than he is!
                  dg.

hi guys. I keep waitingi to post till I have time to catch up, but that's getting less & less likely. My computer at work has been dead since a week ago Monday. finally broke down & bought a new one today. zippy, it is. so maybe that will help. couple of questions, is all for now... Mike, were they all impressed that you are still running? Linda, is the smoke any better? how are you? Laurie, do you have a diagnosis for Kim's knee? ok, gotta go. more tomorrow I hope.
                      Deb, Glad to hear from you and that you bought a Zippy. Hows your running going? Hamstrings? Mike, you'll be a local with a drawl in a few more months. It happens to the best of us. Nice to hear that you are happy there too. You should try the trails. Especially if you are surrounded by them. I love trail running. Its so much easier on your body and its easier to keep you mind off your body while you concentrate on the footing. Theresa, XC starts early up there. When did they start practice? Kim started field hockey this week with double sessions morning and afternoon. And she has band camp on top of it all week. Kim has an appt with the orthopedic surgeon Sep 17th. It was the soonest they could get her in. So she's on the JV field hockey until she has doctors approval to play. Then the coach will put her back on varsity. I will be back in PT soon with the dang hamstrings again. Its so bad I cant sit to drive more than a few minutes. And now the right hip is acting up too. Running hurts. Laurie

Rindaroo

Debbie - don't worry about catching up, just tell us how you're doing, ok? Yes the smoke seems to be FINALLY gone, crossing my fingers behind my back, its been pretty crystal clear the last few days. Hmmm wonder if I should try running outside this weekend? Get this I haven't taken any asthma meds since last Saturday, how cool is that? 2 runwalks so far this week, just under 3 miles... today's was 2.9 10 min walk, 20/5 12/3 runwalk. Laurie - to answer your question awhile ago, no the doc is not limiting my running... in fact I haven't gone back. I still have almost a refill of the anti-inflams & haven't used one since Last Friday - although I'm thinking today is the day. Definitely getting better Smile Geez at this rate, I might be able to get off all these medications Big grin
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, the kids started XC practice a week ago Monday. DS's race went well - he finished 3rd out of 80 something kids. Two miles in 10:40, which was great since the XC trails are very challenging. Of course he wasn't happy! He wants to WIN, lol. His teammate beat him by one second, and the winner beat him by 15 seconds.. This race was run in heats, so it was hard on DS because he was way out in front of the other kids and couldn't judge how hard to push things.
                            Linda, I think it all sounds good. Are you happy with the recovery? Youre running and thats a good thing. Theresa, 3rd out of 80 isnt good at all. Its GREAT! He should be happy with that. Even the best runners cant win every race. Did he watch the olympic marathons? Those just prove the point. Our best women runner konked out 30 mins into the race. Thats running. Eliz? Stumpy? Joni? 25 miles for me today. Yep you read that right. 25 miles...on a bike. lol. It was a great ride though even though, like a newbie, I fell while hooked into my peddles and have some awesome road rash now. Oh and I lost my expensive pump while riding but found it on our return route. So all in all a great day. Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - Very happy Big grin Its been one week since I've taken any asthma meds Smile I did need to take an anti inflammatory on Thursday, but one in a week is so much better... i will get there. 3.13 run/walk today 24/4 12/3 after 10 minute walk
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

hi all.. up in Miane for the long weekend. quick trip home to get DD to work tomorrow. had a good run yesterday and hope for another tomorrow. I'll break 50 miles for the month in a long time. hope everyone is doing well, even those that are even slower at posting than I am. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.