Masters Running

Heart of America - very hilly course (Read 200 times)

TomD

On Labor Day I ran the 50th running of Heart of America Marathon.  The course is one big loop with the only repeat being the first 4 miles become mile 20 to 24.  It has challenge hills after challenging hills the first 8 miles then some smaller rolling hills for two miles.  Mile 11 and 12 are flat.  Mile 13 through 24 are full of challenging hills again.  The final 2.2 miles is mostly flat with a couple of hills.  The second half is actually tough than the first half even with the longest hill just before the half.  For me the half mile hill at Mile 24 is the toughest, because of its location.  It is my personal challenge each hill.

The weather is around 60 at the start and overcast.  It is actually foggy, but the humidity is near 100%.  It will remain overcast for the first 3:30 and then the sun willl be out off and on.  This is the best weather for this, that anyone can remember.  I have been running it off and on, since 1997, when it was one of the worst years.  The temperature was near 100 with 90+% humidity.

It is nearly 60 at the start and it will still be under 70, when I finish.  I goal is to finish between 4:30 and 4:45.  It will tell me that I am ready to pace 4:30 at the KC Marathon next month.  My training has not been what it has been in the pass, but I have been getting in a lot of long runs and more rest than normal.

My plan is to run at a 10 minute as long as I can, then stay at a steady pace to the finish.  I am hoping to stay at this pace for 18-20 miles.  I really do not know where I am at, but I have been able to keep my weight down near 180, what I have run my best at.  I am 178 at this marathon.  So I feel well.

The start is at 6:00am.  I run with a couple of friends some in the first mile, but my pace is to slow for them.  We are in the same age division, but I do not think a 4:30 will be in the top three here with 319 starting this one.  They did change the time limit from 6 hours to 7 hours this year. 

My first mile is 9:53 with a half mile downhill at the start.  I am very surprised and pleased.  Mile 2 is 19:57 with a very tough hill, which will be a nice downhill in mile 23 later.  Mile 3, 29:45, as I run a couple of miles with a small group trying to break 5:00.

Mile 5, around 49:30,  I am running pretty steady and I will stay here for the next three miles.

Mile 8, 1:19:17, maybe a little fast for these hills.  I should gain some time the next few miles to help me in Mile 13 and the locally famous Easley Hill, tough 3/4 mile hill that everyone talks about around here.

Mile 9, I gain a little time with these smaller hills.  I run with another 50 stater that I ran with a little last year.  She remembers Donna.  At the Mile 10 aid station I leave her behind.  It was nice to see Cindy again.

Mile 10, I gain a little more time, I pick up a first time marathoner, Chuck, who seems to be doing well.  I warn him about the course and going to fast.

Mile 11, I have now picked up over a minute, I feel very good.

Mile 12, 1:58:37, but now is time for Easley Hill.  It is a very steep hill too.  Chuck goes ahead of me, but I am still able to get to the half at 2:09:57, which I was pleased with.

Between the half and Mile 24 is where runners fall out each year.  There were 35 runners not finishing this one last year.

Mile 14, 2:19:47, even with these hills I am still picking up some time.  Chuck and I run together off and on.  Sometimes I am ahead and sometimes he is, but we are in eyesight of each other.  He is running a very good race for never running a marathon before.

Mile 15 and Mile 16 I run each under 10 minutes.  Mile 17 has a steep half mile hill that I am still able to run up, but I am not able to run under 10 minutes, but not much over.

Mile 18 and Mile 19 I am able to run under 10 again.  Mile 20, 3:17:31, I am still doing well.  Here is where the shade ends.  This is important most years, but not this one.  The sun is not much of a factor today, but the humidity is pretty bad.

Mile 21 and Mile 22 have been my worst miles in years past, but this year I did them both just over 11 minutes.  Mile 23, I am just under 3:50, has a lot of downhill, so I did not lose any more time.

Mile 24, 3:59:57, my challenge.  I was able to run this near 10 minutes.  My two friends from the first mile, I was able to pass them both on this hill.  They were both walking it.  I do not see Jim or Mark again until the finish.

Here I realize that I have an outside chance to have a negative slipt.  It is something I am within 5 minutes of a lot, but do not get much at all.

Chuck runs Mile 24 with me, but shortly afterwards he goes ahead of me to the finish.  We are both picking it up.  We run the final 2.2 miles around 9 minutes.

I finish with 4:19:49, just 5 seconds under a negative slipt.  Chuck finished his first marathon at 4:19:02.  He told me later that I kept him going or he would of went much slower.

I did get 3rd in my age division.  Their were 42 runners, who did not finish.  I felt very good afterwards and very pleased with my run. 

Next the Patroit Run, September 11th.  It is on 9-11 each year and it is a 9 hour 11 minute run.  Since I am 61, I will attempt running 61 laps.  Each lap is .73 of a mile, 44.4 miles overall.

Tom

Tom - good to see your post!  I've been wondering how you are doing.  Congratulations on a fine finish and the age group placement - awesome!!  I lived in Columbia for almost 15 years - but that was before I started doing long distance running. I hope to make it back for the race some day.   Good luck with the Patriot Run tomorrow!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice Tom!  That course sounds like a roller coaster.. wheeee. But the 9-11 with 61 laps that'll make you dizzy!

Nice to see you running strong!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tom - thanks for the HOA RR.  I was going to ask your mega-buddy Larry M if you were doing any summer running when I saw him up in Alaska this summer but never got close enough. 

If KC finds out how much you smashed your HOA goal, they'll probably be afraid to let you stay at 4:30 and move you up a couple of pace groups.

how many hills are there counting everything?  I bet any total ascent/descent elevation gain/loss would compare to some of endurance events up in varous mountain ranges. 

Has it been the same hills for the last 50 years?  There's some old ones like that out here but they targeted getting skiers ready for the winter season.  Who in the world back there would think that running 26.2 miles of hills was a worthwhile undertaking in those days?

no hip, knee or other issues?

welcome back.

ps - if you see barefoot rick at the Patriot's, please remind him to slow down as he has a knee that needs recovering.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Wow what a roller coaster! Nice job on finishing ahead of your goal and the AG placing. I've been wondering how you are doing so it was really good to see this post. Thanks for the race report and I look forward to hearing how dizzy you get, um, how many laps you get in the Patriots Run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - it's good to see you are running again.  Congratulations on 3rd AG, and a great finishing time, especially given the hills.  Good luck tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, nice to hear from you again, and congrats on the 3rd place AG finish!    Thanks for keeping in touch with your RA friends - post often!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tom, I was glad to see this report since I've been wondering about you as it's been awhile since your last post.  Congratulations on another good marathon, beating your goal and getting an AG award.

TomS

SteveP

Tom, you're a powerful athlete. It's good to read an RR from you.

SteveP

TomD

Tetsujin,

This course has been the same since 1997 maybe all of them.

Way too many hills to count while running.  The key is so many of them are challenging and one after another.  At times it seems like they will never end.

My knee still hurts off and on, but not much while I am running.  It bother me quite a bit last night before going to sleep, but it feels fine now.

Barefoot Rick was at the Heart of America Marathon.  He ran 5-10 minutes behind me.  He plans on being at the Patriooit Run today.

Well, off to work for 4 hours, then I will have an hour before the Patriot Run.  I live about 9.5 miles for the Patriot Run and I work about the same distance from it.  An hour it plenty of time.  I will have plenty of friends there from Kansas and many other states too. 

TomD

huskydon

Tom,

Very nice job running.  You should be very pleased.   3rd in the AG is very good. 

It was good to hear from you again as well.

Tramps

Great to see your report, Tom.  You don't cherry pick those marathons, do you?  All those hills sound very tough but your AG hardware is proof of how well you did.  Congrats!  I never understood how folks can do a mile-by-mile recap.  It's usually all a blur to me!

Be safe. Be kind.