Masters Running

February 16, running off the chocolate daily (Read 580 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Out for 4 miles this morning with Brinkley.  Big snow flakes falling and we already had about 1/2 inch of fresh snow, so I am glad that I put on my yaktraxs.   Pretty out of shape and walking was mixed in the last 2 miles, but that's okay.  10:39 avg. pace    I invited DH out with me tomorrow morning for a 2 mile run/walk ..... he asked me what he did wrong that he is being punished.  Big grin

SteveP  - doubtful that Brinkley will attend the race with me.   He gets too goofy!   My neighbor Ashley, is joining me though.  Wink

Happy Twos-Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning, all.  10 miles on the cinetread while watching Chucky in Child's Play.  The scariest part of the movie?  It's 22 years old.

Random thoughts:  The Daytona 500 started at 1 pm, and finished at 7:30 pm.  That's 6.5 hours to go 500 miles, or about 77 miles per hour.  Jeesh, my honda could do that.

Passed a cemetery during my shortish long run on Sunday.  There was a sign that said "DO NOT MOW OWN PLOTS".  I say, if the deceased want to do a little landscaping, more power to 'em.

UConn men's basketball - if they make it to the big dance, they're the kind of team you don't want to play.  They could make it to the final four, or get blown out in the first round.  Who knows.  But March madness is less than a month away.

Off to the UK for a budget conference next week.  This will be my 4th trip there in 4 months.  To think I had never been to Europe before then.

I don't recall ever experiencing four "holidays" in a row.  It's happening now - Valentine's Day, President's Day, Mardi Gras, and Ash Wednesday.  Time to celebrate.  Do you remember when McDonalds would sell the cherry pie for a limited time for Washington's birthday?  That made it special.

Enjoy the holi-day!

Mary, I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what yaktraxs are?  Snow shoes?  How do you run in them?

PBJ...interesting about the holiday theme...

Well we've been wishing for snow here in middle Tennessee and we finally got it!  A holiday yesterday and a snow day today...can't beat that!  But I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to go run when the streets are covered w/ snow and slick.  Most of you are used to that I guess.  We don't seem to have plows here and they don't salt the little subdivisions.    Gotta do it though as I'm finally able to feel legs after 1/2 on Sat. and 6 mile race on Sunday.

Good runs all!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning mary.

However, wouldn't have been much good trying to run off the chocolate at Saturday's valentine Dash here in Seattle as toppotdoughnuts.com had 10,000 chocolate, apple and cheese cake doughnuts to give away to 3,000 runners.

ps - the chocolate one is "Raspberry Chocolate Old-fashioned Doughnut."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks for the B-Day wishes yesterday!  A highlight was a call from my brother from an island in Antarctica. He called by satellite phone and was surrounded by penguins and I could hear them in the background!  He's on an expedition:

http://elysiumepic.ogsociety.org/index.php

PBJ.. our Tarheels probably won't even make it to the dance Sad

Mary.. more yak running!

(Fussy: those are metal spring like cords that you slip on your shoes and the springy things on the bottom provide traction)

I wanted to push harder but not push too much so I incorporated a hilly route. When I'm 100% I can do the 2.2 mile loop at 7:55 pace. Now I could just manage 9:03 pace and I was happy with that.  Then a couple flatter miles ending with an 8:35 (AHR 161).

Overall 6.4 miles in 1:00:10 (9:24 pace including 2 miles with dogs on hilly route at 10:40 pace)

28°, shorts, long sleeve tee, hat and gloves

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Perch - shorts??   Really???   Brrrrrrrr!   How cool that your brother called you yesterday.   Happy belated birthday by the way!

Tet - these are all the rage around here today.   Paczki's - ugh!   Jelly filled, deep fried, and glazed.   My boss just sent someome out to pick some up.   It is the last thing he needs as he is already carrying around 100+ extra weight and already had a Jimmy Dean sausage/egg bisuit a few minutes ago.    Frustrates the heck out of me.

Quite some random thoughts PBJ.   Big grin

~Mary

~unknown

Tramps

Lamerunner—I was trying to figure out where you ran.  Rt 16 north towards Glen House?  Cool.  Hope to meet you in Boston.

Aamos—I’m impressed with your Spanish venture. 

Steve—where’s that Virginia “poem” from?  The snow part is not far off!

PBJ—I thought it was hilarious that Daytona was plagued with potholes…just like our roads.

Perch—belated happy B-day.

PBJ—who may have had too much coffee this morning—inspired me for a random observation:  During the recent snowstorm the local news stations had crawlers at the bottom of the screen showing delays and cancellations of various events, religious programs, etc.  My favorite read: “Spiritual Insights—Canceled.”

Schools here have been closed since February 5 because of the snow, but they may finally open tomorrow. I’m sure parents are thrilled about that.

Tempo Tuesday on an inch of new snow that freshened up the snow pack and looked pretty on the trees.  No need for screw shoes, though.  10.2 miles with middle 7 @ 7:21.  I unknowingly faded on the last tempo mile (7:41)—oops. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Memorable phone call Perch, cool expedition. I have it bookmarked so I can read it later.

Mary and Tet, you guys are making my resolution to not have any sweets this week go down the tube real fast.

fotozzig...please take care of that back. 6.5 hours could be too much with a pain in the back.
                  lamerunner, where are you skiing this winter? It sounds heavenly. You may not be running much but you sure are having fun skiing. Boston will be a great  race for you.
                  BCmorant, 46 push ups and ab work...impressive.
                  Carolyn, your description of your run from Sunday is still bringing a smile to my face.
                  Theresa, how is life treating you???

Amos is learning Spanish...hurray!!!! i just need to teach her a few marathon related words and she will be ready to run the Second "marathon Paraguay with me Smile Hey sishh...check your email. I DID send you a note when you requested!!!

dg, is the butt feeling better?

8 miles with some striders...and it was delicious after my two days off from running...I was too lazy to run yesterday (well...all that dancing  and eating on Sunday made my wings tooooo tired Smile

Off to do some research on treatments for "self induced-arm-sprain-caused-by-self-patting-on-the-back-overjoyful-cook"

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yesterday I mentioned the Spicy Turkey Chili I was cooking in the Slow Cooker.  The recipe said that it was "Spicy.  But in a good way".

Yep.  Spicy alright.  So much so we couldn't eat it without breathing dragon fire!

I looked closer at the recipe and saw that it said "4 to 5 canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce chopped", not "4 to 5 cans Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce chopped".  There were probably about 7 or 8 Peppers per can - I used 4 cans - between 28 and 32 Peppers total.

Doh.  LOL.

We're going to split the chili in half and toss in a bunch of tomato sauce to see if we can cool it down several hundred degrees.  It was very delicious.  Just too spicy!

4 easy paced miles at 9:30 pace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Passed a cemetery during my shortish long run on Sunday.  There was a sign that said "DO NOT MOW OWN PLOTS".  I say, if the deceased want to do a little landscaping, more power to 'em.

Divechief – I got the kinesio tape online as well, $10.92 for a roll of 2” tape.  I cut pieces that were 1” x 2” and wrapped them horizontally around the tops of my toes, because my blisters tend to be underneath my toenails, rather than on the bottom of the toes. 

Breger - reminds me of once, years ago, when I made cabbage rolls, and instead of using two cloves of garlic, I used the whole bulbs....everyone loved them, we just couldn't breathe on anyone for a week....

Leslie - I really hope your back clears up for your race.  Like Mariposai says, that's a long time to be out there with a back ache.

Another 7-8 inches of snow kept me on the TM once again.  (sigh)  While I am hugely grateful that I have a TM option on these winter mornings, I am getting rather tired of it.  I was feeling tired and stiff at the start, thinking I wasn’t going to do much of a workout today, but I surprised myself.

2 mile WU @ 10:20

8 x ½ mile intervals @ 8:00 with 2-min. recoveries

3 miles @ 10:00

10 miles total, plus lunges, bench step-ups, squats, and 47 push-ups (15+15+17)

Kids have a snow day, again, but DH and I are back to work.  DS is old enough now to watch his sister for a snow day, but it means I get a lot of phone calls at work. 

I shared this on the Weight thread, but I’m finding protein shakes to be extremely satisfying after tough runs like this (PBJ - I think you mentioned these as well):

1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I have Body Fortress)

½ frozen banana

½ c. frozen berries

¼ c. lf cottage cheese

2 splenda packets

1 c. water

4 ice cubes

About 260 calories, 35 g. protein, 28 g. carb, 22 g. calcium, and it tastes a lot like cheesecake. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I looked closer at the recipe and saw that it said "4 to 5 canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce chopped", not "4 to 5 cans Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce chopped".  There were probably about 7 or 8 Peppers per can - I used 4 cans - between 28 and 32 Peppers total.

LOL!   At least that is fixable.   DD#2 baked a chocolate cake from scratch a few years ago.   Instead of 1/4 tsp. of salt, she put in a 1/4 cup!   That was not fixable and all her hours of work went into the garbage.  Big grin

~Mary

~unknown

wildchild

Carolyn

PBJ, I loved the cemetery sign!

Helen, how did you do at your race on Sunday?  And sounds like you need yaktrax or screw shoes today, like the rest of us.

Tet and Mary, those doughnuts look awful!  I used to like them when I was younger, but now they're too sweet.  I still like chocolate cake doughnuts, though, with no glaze.

Perch, you wear shorts when it's below freezing?  Brrr. 

Tramps, very nice tempo run after that 20 miler on Sunday!  Your "spiritual insights - cancelled" comment made me smile.

Mari, thanks for reminding me about twocat's "arm sprain from patting himself on the back" comment.  Good visual on that one.

Byll, you put in 4-5 cans of peppers, instead of 4-5 peppers?  I'm curious how many peppers are in a can?

Holly, doesn't splenda give that protein shake an awful aftertaste? Could you use honey instead?

We stayed up too late watching the Olympics.  They really should end the programming earlier on school nights.  We had an interesting time last night trying to keep the digital signal:  I think I mentioned we finally got NBC reception on Saturday by repositioning the antenna and re-syncing the TV.  Well, the antenna is not mounted outside, it's inside the room.  (Our TV room is in our 3rd floor loft.)  The signal was breaking up a lot yesterday, so I moved the antenna around the room and found a good place, about two feet from the window, but then I was stuck holding the thing. So we got nails and string, and hung it from the ceiling in that spot.  But as soon as I went to sit down, the reception was bad again. It was better when I was standing next to the antenna!  So for a while, DD and I took turns standing next to it (DH was just sitting on the couch) but we got tired of standing, so we got a tall stool from the kitchen and sat next to it.  Then we figured it just needed something solid next to it, not necessarily a person, so we piled cushions, a cardboard box, and a stability ball on the stool, and presto!  Good reception!  Makes our TV room look kinda strange, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

breger1 ROFLMAO!  Like literally!  I have never heard of anybody making that mistake!  Holy smokes!  Chipotle chilies are HOT!  When you open the can they practically knock you over  I am still sitting here chuckling.  So what did you guys end up eating?  Well other than lots of water!

Mariposai everybody's a comedian. 

More snow here!  Will it never end?    Best of all I get to drive to a meeting later today.  Ugh!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone

All this talk of food makes me have to confess my food sin of yesterday. After my 16 mile LR on Sunday, I felt like being bad so I went to Burger King and got 2 double chesseburgers, large fries, and an apple pie. Please forgive me. Thanks I feel better now. I did run it off this morning though. 6 miles in 55:42 a 9:17 pace. Also did 47 pushups along with abs (upper and lower, 100 reps each).

PBJ: I thought Dale Jr. had the best comment of the day about Daytona. He said "why don't they just put one of those orange cones on top of the pothole and we can drive around it."

Perch: Hope you had a great birthday. Don't feel bad about UNC, UCLA is not going to the dance either. I guess you could always root for Duke.

Tramps: Nice going on the tempo run. 7:41 does not sound like a "fade" to me!

Holly: I don't know how you can do that much running on a TM. It would make me nuts! Good job with the intervals.

Carolyn: Because I am too cheap do get cable, I use the digital box and antenna as well. I get pretty good reception most of the time but it is frustrating to have the signal go in and out. I think it is all just a plot to get us all to use cable.

Have a great day and great runs everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

8 miles at 8:05ish pace in the gentle snow---it's School break week here, so the first real snow since December is well timed. Figures though...the kiddo had snow days on all the storms that weren't days and now any new snow days will get tacked onto the end. The footing was fine, so I'll save my Yak Traks for another day.

The photos here today will make me gain weight. Wowsa

Bill! I hope you don't read any future workout instructions like you read recipes...."Tinman has me doing 10x16 miles at tempo with ....oh wait, that's 10x 1.6 miles at tempo....! 

wildchild---it's just your magnetic or electric personality! Reminds me of when my father asked me to hold the antenna on the old black and white TV with the bunny ears antennae

Great musings PBJ---the cemetery sign mention led to coffee spillage and grins.

Good running Lamerunner. You are a tough runner!