Masters Running

Saturday 4/7/22 daily (Read 40 times)

Mariposai

Happy Saturday folks,

Let's get the party started,  shall we? 😀

No activities for my butterfly wings, yet.

Off to the farmer's market we go. We are looking for garden vegetable starters.

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks, Posie.   I ran 12.1 miles "with" the group this morning.  Cool and cloudy, but a beautiful route in the country(well, sort of).  The group really spreads out, so I was pretty alone, but I did pretty well.  Then had to rush to a goodbye party at a trailhead way across town for a couple of runners who are retiring to New Mexico.  I had beer and potato chips by 9 am, so there's that!

Have a greta Saturday.  Catch up later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slow Saturday here 😮. Well, it appears my coworker was not terribly contagious— my test after five days was negative this morning. So DW and I are now at camp doing some of the opening. Generally went well, but it’s not opening if SOMETHING doesn’t go wrong. Today’s were  a couple of water related items. Small one waa a6” piece of pipe between two valves that I missed getting all the water out of that now has a split. The more major one is that the 40 yo shower valve has given up the ghost. And the builders that did the work did NOT leave a way to get at it without ripping up the wall. Will likely defer until next trip up. I’m looking forward to it 🙄

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hi friends,

My day started with 8 run/walk miles on the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail with friends followed by a delicious breakfast which included mimosas and Blood Mary's to get a jump on Mother's Day Celebrations!!

Sadly, went to beautiful, heartbreaking funeral mass for a friend's 30 yr old son. Just devastating. Church was pretty crowded with her friends and of course all the young 30 yr old friends surrounding the family with so much love. She stood up and spoke about her son with so much grace and strength - I don't know how she did it. Life is so hard sometimes.

Tomorrow is a work day for me and I pray it is a good Mother's Day on the labor floor!!

denise

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

What a treat to have Mariposai kick things off today! Have fun at the farmer’s market.

Nice run with the group, KSA. That’s a heck of a breakfast you had!

Congrats on the negative test, Stumpy. And I’m sorry about the extra work ahead of you to get the camp open this year.

Condolences to your friend, Deez. I can’t imagine having to deal with that.

I dragged my lazy a$$ out of bed a little after noon today, pulled some clothes on, and DW and I went for another slow walk - 1.6 miles today. I’m feeling a little better today, but still clearly have a ways to go. One day at a time - one foot in front of the other…

I’m wishing every one of our goddesses here an early glorious Mother’s Day!! And a Greta Saturday to all.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

Thanks for the start Posie - I hope you found what you wanted at the Farmer's market.   You asked yesterday about Misha's age - she is 7.  She had some cancer in her early years which shortened her life expectancy.  Vet says she most likely has 8 good years so we try to enjoy each day.

My PT schedule called for my first continuous mile today.  .25 warm up walk/run, 1 mile run, .25 cool down walk.   Check that off the list!  Unfortunately it was much harder than you would think.  A year ago I couldn't walk a pain-free mile so I've made some progress and I'm thankful for that.  Now I have a 3 or 4 week schedule to build up to a continuous 2 miler.   Slow and steady.

the weather here is gorgeous.  I've been puttering in the yard all day.  Moved some day lillies, some hostas, and some balloon flowers.  Still raking dead oak leaves from the flower beds.  I expect I will sleep well tonight.

Have a greta Saturday everyone!

Dave59

What a day...what a day. I went to my 6th Parkrun this morning, 50's windy and rainy.  And I had a great run.

I have been getting slower and slower but for some odd reason, Parkrun has given me some motivation to try again. Plus I figure I have one good year left in me and that has motivated me too. I have been watching what I eat (dropping a few pounds) and running further and faster.  At the run this morning I did a 28:12 5k.  My fastest run in 15 months, and 1:40 off my previous Parkrun best. 9:09, 9:01, 8:57. 1:03.

I had set a summer goal to try and get back down to a 9:00 pace and I met it today, (Well, 9:03 today but that counts in my book.)  Going to need a new summer goal.

I need to go make a meatloaf and stick it in the oven. I'll be back in a bit with more details........

I'm back......

We only cook a couple meals a week since we are just the 2 of us. Rest of the time is takeout or frozen dinners. My father-in-law comes over on most Saturdays for dinner and we cook something more than usual. Tonight is meatloaf, baked potatoes, and green beans. Meatloaf is one of the things Cindy usually has me handle. Don't know why. Just one of those weird marriage quirks. Either one of us could make the meatloaf and any other of the dinners we cook. But certain things Cindy makes and others I make.

Why do I say 1 good year left? Well, I am (a) getting old, and (b) my back is acting weird. When I try to do some core exercises or stretching, my back clicks and clacks, so I figure it is just a matter of time before it snaps.

So the run today was great. I aimed my week for this day to give it an all out effort. Monday and Wednesday at the gym, 5 mile run on Tuesday, 4 mile run on Thursday, and a rest day on Friday.  And then I wore my newish Hoka's which seem like my "fastest" shoes.  At the start, I went out faster than usual. Mile 1 was into the wind and rain and seeing the 9:09 was wonderful. Mile 2 was mostly with the wind, but I got passed by 3 folks and thought I was slowing down (1 of them was 10 years old).  But the split was 9:01. Seeing that made me resolve not to slow down in the last mile which was 8:57 (which was partially with the wind and partially into the wind.)

I really was shocked to have run that pace for the full race.

The energy carried over for the rest of the day. I vacuumed the house (all 3 levels), Swiffer Wet-jetted the floors, washed my clothes, cleaned the bathroom, got some stuff for dinner at the grocery store, and cooked a meatloaf.

Garmin body battery was at 100 this morning. Down to 32 now.  Good thing all that is left to do is eat.

Dave- that is an excellent 5K!  I'm not going to be able to keep up with you when I get to Charleston to run with you!

Hi Posie!

Deez - I don't know how your friend did it either.

Nice race Dave, wow, fantastic to read about your improvement in these 5Ks and your sproink the rest of the day!

I'm just not motivated today.  Was going to do the 12.5 mile walk to MBE's house, and ride my road bike home, but the weather is bleck.

We picked my son's boyfriend up at the airport; he's here for a visit for 10 days. He seems like a nice kid.  They will probably spend some time at the cabin, away from Mom and sister.  He lives in upstate NY.  I wonder how long this young, long distance romance will last.  But regardless, he's a nice kid, and my son is very happy.

My DD just got a full time summer job at the YMCA as an admin assistant. She starts on Monday. She also still has 4 weeks of UW left (but only one class), so I am hoping she can continue to study in the evenings and get a decent mark on the final.

Happy trails and rehabs everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Keep up the good work, Jay!

Dave - Nice 5k!!  Well done!

Hi, Posie Lady

I got nuthin'.  And mostly sitting around is boring, although I'm knitting a blanket for Karen's daughter, Kimber.  I'm using the baby blanket pattern I did for 2 co-workers.  Hope it looks as cute in real life as it does in my mind.

Trying to not stuff my face with crap whilst sitting around, but it's tough.  The sun came out, so The Hub is mowing our and the neighbor's yards, and I need to get his invoices and some transcription done.

The foot has some twinges in it, but so far so good.  I'm doing what I was told and mostly staying off it - but the itch to workout is driving me crazy!  Nothing drastic, but why can't I sit on a stability ball or lay on the floor and do some core stuff? If I went out to the shed today, The Hub would probably disown me, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Karen arrived at Rodney's and from the get go it didn't go well.  Basically, he doesn't want anyone there except the Hospice worker 'cause he doesn't want anyone telling him what to do.  Says he should be able to say when the rest of the family can make the 1.5 hr drive up.  Well, first thing she found was one of the two birds dead at the bottom of the bird cage - no food, no water.  He cannot and hasn't for some time now been able to make healthy decisions regarding Kate's care.  It's been obvious to everyone who goes and see her, especially the Hospice and home health workers and Kate's primary, who was also her partner in a medical practice.  It's going to be a really tough go from now until the end.  I just keep praying for God to keep everyone strong and as sane as possible.

I just want to say that I'm so, SO very grateful that I can come in here and talk to you guys.  If I didn't live 10 hrs away, I could help.  Stay in the back ground and let the family be a family, but help.  Not being able to is incredibly hard.  I spend a lot of time trying to not break down.  Being able to come in here and "let go," helps so much.  Thank you ~~

Okay.  Off to do some invoices and transcription ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Oh Leslie.  Big hugs from afar.  It’s all just so sad.

Where’s BTY?

Leslie, that is just so tragic.  I know you feel helpless right now, this is just so hard.  I will keep you and the family in my prayers.  I knitted two blankets with that really bulky yarn and those honking big needles. They turned out cute.

Posai – our market doesn’t usually start until June but I wonder if anyone even has a garden in yet around here. It just recently got warm. Summer will be next week when it will be in the 80’s a few days.

Jay – I am glad you got to sleep in, that’s like 8 extra hours, right? Thanks for the MotheDay greetings.

KSA – good job on your group run. Why doesn’t someone run with you if it is a group run.

Stumpy – we can’t go to our place up north because they can’t turn the water on – frost they say. Sorry about your troubles.

Deez – I have seen relatives give a story or two, but never a mother. She must be a strong woman with a lot of faith.

Dnaf – you’ve sure made progress in a year. Way to go on the mile run.

Dave – congratulations on meeting your goal already. What a great race you had today.

Enke – The weather always does that to me too. I love sun!

Steve - you crack me up!

72° and sunny here and I am cold!  Maybe this is the problem: Wind Speed: SE 30 G 41 mph

I went for my 2.5 mile walk and at times I could barely walk a straight line, the crosswind was that bad. With the wind rushing through my ear buds I couldn’t even listen to a podcast.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - fantastic run too, especially negative splitting plus a double especially, especially for it being sub-9:00.

ps - don't you dare quit racing, I mean, no need to quit racing until, at least, you're down to 15-18m/m, . . . unless it's a trail ultra in which case, then, 25-30. Have fun.

. . . he doesn't want anyone telling him what to do. 

Stay in the back ground

Leslie - good. Best to be left alone unless he asks for help. However, I didn't know he had been there on his own, even if that's what he said he wanted. Very moving about Kate's former office partner getting to be there, though. No matter what, the whole thing is just unimaginable and horrible.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That's tough, Leslie.  You, Kate, and Kate's family have been in daily prayers for months.  I won't stop.

Nice racing, Dave!

I checked my phone app, right before I walked out the door to do my 16 miler.  I wanted to know the wind speed and from where it was coming.  I saw that it was at 9 mph from the SSE.  I wanted to do the last part of my run going into the wind so I would have to work harder when my legs were a little more tired.  Well, at about 8 1/2 miles, when I turned into the wind, I knew it wasn't 9 mph.  I had to go 2 1/2 miles, then catch a little break when I turned to go west for about 3/4 of a mile, then another 1 1/4 miles back into it before I could turn west, again, for the final 3 miles.  I wanted to work hard, but not THAT hard.  The gusts stood me straight up at some points.  When I checked my app, after getting home, the wind speed had changed to 18 mph... it felt stronger than that.  Anyway... my last long run is done before my marathon and I ended up doing it at an average 7:10 pace... 1:54:34.  Just 2 strength runs and 2 tempo runs to go.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Starr-  we spread out pretty quickly.  People go different distances at different paces, and I’m the oldest one most of the time by several decades- especially now that our leader is still in the spinal rehab facility after his bike accident.  It’s fine.  We see each other on the out and backs and sometimes at the water stops.  I got ahead of some women after about 2 1/2 miles and they turned back sooner than I did.  Another woman was slower but was doing 20 miles.   It’s just nice knowing other people are out there with you!