Masters Running

Tax Day Tuesday (Read 40 times)

C-R

Morning Everyone. Thought I would start today since I'm sitting in the airport with a couple of minutes on hand.

It was snowing this morning. Seriously wild. Thanks for sending that along. I have always been of the opinion that once the Masters has started or been completed we are done with snow. Something strange is afoot. Well here's hoping it keep Boston cool and proper race temps so youc an all enjoy the race.

Hey Holly - I have reading comprehension issues so the pic makes more sense. Even better now that you two hit the links while making the guys slave in the yard. Well done!

Have a great day everyone and happy birthday Aamos (seprate thread for that)

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning C-R.  Have a safe trip.

3.9 miles with a friend this morning before work  -- we ran to where I was stopped last year then finished the route and took a picture at the finish line .... honoring all those affected by last year's tragedy.   Some of us have our Boston Strong t-shirts on at work instead of our scrub tops - lots going on today at BWH - today's theme is hope and healing.  I hope I can get away from patient care this afternoon and go to the healing service.   My heart aches today for all those who lost loved ones, those with permanent injuries and all those emotionally affected including my own family who were at the finish line waiting for me when chaos hit.

WE RUN AS ONE!!  BOSTON STRONG!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning C-R and Mike and Denise and all to follow.

Woke up to 2" of new snow.  What's up with that?  I can't even remember the last time it snowed in April here.

4 miles on the TM for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Sayhey!  We really set the alarm and got up at Jay o'clock  to see the moon this morning just before 4 am!  It was spectacular.  I went back to bed and got up after 5 to do 6.2 in under my age (50-some minutes), last 3 miles 8:26. 8:13. 8:02.

deez, thanks for the inside reporting.  I'm following as much news as I can.  (Last year, I had taken off the day to follow the coverage of the marathon and the Sox game.....then the news of the bombings and I was just about 24/7 listening to WBUR and minutely following the Globe.  Really good to hear about the affirmations of going forward and taking back the day.)  I used to follow the marathon way before I ever started running.  The Sox game, I lived in Framingham along the route at one point, then worked down the street on Boylston (at a now defunct gourmet store, MAlben's) and used to go down on my break to watch the finishers.  I just know I'm foing to have to fight back tears as I run this year.   Keep us posted as you can.

Safe trip C-R!

April snow in Massachusetts is not uncommon.  Even on April 15.  I remember some .

Dog folks, Erika asked about adjusting to just being a cat person.  I've always had cats, but lnly had larger dogs (lab/border collie mix, and 2 retired racing greyhounds).  The size of my place now would only be good for a small dog, but I've no exprience with them.  They seem sort of barky and high maintenance.  But I do miss living with a dog.  Any ideas on a "regular"  sort of small dog?   You know, a team player, a sort of Dustin Pedroia dog as opposed to a Clay Buchholtz sort..

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sorry that some of you have had another round of Snow.  That's just wrong.  You've had enough and deserve Spring.

5 more-or-less Marathon paced miles this morning.  It was crystal clear out this morning and the Full Moon was spectacular.  (In fact there was a Lunar Eclipse between 2 and 3 AM last night.)  I'm trying to add a tiny bit of "push" to some of the miles in my runs lately.  I've been running far too many miles at EZ-pace and need to break out of that pace rut.

I got an email from the Chicago Marathon yesterday informing me that my Lottery entry was accepted.  So now I have till Friday to decide if I'm really going to register, pay, and run it.  There's two sides to this argument.  One says "No" due to my heart issues last year.  The other says "Yes" that you only live once and everything will be fine if I'm smart about things.  My Heart Doctor down here is not a fan of Endurance running in general but didn't definitively say "No" when I asked about running a Marathon a few months ago.  DW is OK with it if I want to do it - in fact she reserved a Hotel room last night just in case.  Decisions, decisions.

Bill

PS: Amy, I replied to our PM.  Thanks, by the way ...

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

3.9 miles with a friend this morning before work  -- we ran to where I was stopped last year then finished the route and took a picture at the finish line .... honoring all those affected by last year's tragedy.   Some of us have our Boston Strong t-shirts on at work instead of our scrub tops - lots going on today at BWH - today's theme is hope and healing.  I hope I can get away from patient care this afternoon and go to the healing service.   My heart aches today for all those who lost loved ones, those with permanent injuries and all those emotionally affected including my own family who were at the finish line waiting for me when chaos hit.

WE RUN AS ONE!!  BOSTON STRONG!!

Thank you Denise and others to follow who were there or who have been there..

I'll start wearing from today the BOSTON STRONG wristlet they were giving out at last year's Seattle RnR.

However, it's little comfort to those of you directly affected by another of one of so many senseless atrocities of our lifetimes. .

There’s many thousands of Boston Marathon stories coming to life today one year later but one of the ones closed to the PNW is about the local area grand master runner who was pictured being blown over at the finish line last year.   Though not there this year, he plans another Boston in 2015 at age 80.
                http://mynorthwest.com/11/2497698/Boston-Marathon-bombing-survivor-from-Lake-Stevens-subject-of-new-documentary

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Good morning. Been battling a cold, but nearly kicked it now. Four miles of loops and hills in the housing above Santa Paula last evening. I was too tired to wait up for the moon...so didn't see that.

Aamos...wow. Good job. I haven't been that fast in...well...about ever.

Good luck to anybody headed to or already in Boston for the marathon.

And here...me and my friend Will riding in his Stearman...maybe this is how I got sick...

Marathon Maniac #957

The size of my place now would only be good for a small dog, but I've no exprience with them.  They seem sort of barky and high maintenance.  But I do miss living with a dog.  Any ideas on a "regular"  sort of small dog?   You know, a team player, a sort of Dustin Pedroia dog as opposed to a Clay Buchholtz sort..

Amy - Have you thought about Cairn Terriers?   We have two that are actually half Cairn/half Westie (Westie is a sister-breed of white terriers), and we just love them.  They are frisky and friendly, but not barky or overly energetic.  And they don't piddle when you pet them.  Plus the vet told us that they would probably be overall healthier dogs because they are not purebred, and so likely not susceptible to the hereditary defects that purebred dogs can get.

Troy - cool picture!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tet, good going in your 12K.  Dave, what a bummer about the flooded basement.  On the other hand, I like your cartoon.  jlynne, I think it's nice your were offered the job at the Y but I think I would have declined.  fatozzig, sorry to hear about your long run bonk.  If you come up with a nutrition solution, it would be nice to hear it.  Aamos, great winning a $50 gift card in your race.

Nice long runs for evan, Mike, and Aamos.

This morning, I should have run outside since it was mid 20s, just a touch of new snow and some wind but I couldn't talk myself into it.  Therefore, I did 8 miles on the TM at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

5.34 miles for me in the cold wind and snow. 

Mariposai

9 miles for me this morning. What is not to love about the run: Full moon in the horizon, balsam roots flowering every where, orchards that are starting to bloom and great company.

Tonight I meet with the course safety volunteers and parking volunteers. Orchards in Bloom is becoming more and more a reality.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks, Holly....I have always enjoyed terriers--do folks purposely breed Cairns and Westies?

I ask b/c after I adopted the black lab/border collie mix, which I thought was a freak of nature (he was like Oscar and Felix in one body--the lab was so frat boy and the border collie wanted to organize people, cats, birds, etc), I started seeing lots of similar dogs.

I'll talk to DH about this.  (This may take on the long term plan status, but I will work on it.  Gotta start somewhere!)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Aamos - as a huge advocate and volunteer for homeless and rescued dogs, I recommend getting to know someone at your local shelter or humane society with what you are looking for in a dog (size, temperament, activity level, etc). Often, there will be rescue coordinators (this is part of what I do within our local animal shelter) that help match up potential owners with dogs needing to be rescued. Since we are dedicated to finding lifelong, permanent homes for our shelter dogs, we carefully try coordinate perfect matches so that the dogs don't end up coming back or getting listed on craigslist.

Tammy

Dog folks

Hey Birthday girl, or Say Hey rather! We love our Griff Hudson. He's a Wire-haired pointing griffon bred by our own hopeful4ever Mary Kaiser. He's sweet, loves his people, smart, extremely easy to train, doesn't steal all food like our beagle did AND he is an awesome running companion. I snap on his jogging leash and he falls in step next to me and off we go. Purebred yes, but problematic? Not at all. They are not small dogs, but not huge either. As I am posting this, Hudson is on the couch next to me with his head on my lap sweetly snoring away. An added bonus....Mary is in Michigan and you're from Michigan and there may be a litter at a point when you are ready....just saying!

http://www.rawleypointkennel.com

Oh, running......ran 6 miles with 3 x 3 minutes all out (3 rest) in Northern, NH. Home now.