Masters Running

Friday, July 11 Here-Comes-the-Weekend Runs, etc. (Read 457 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Divechief – You have been so steadfast and strong in the face of your injuries. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you to be able to do Montana in September. No run for me today – light x-training instead: dumbbell presses, bench dips, flies, lying hammer curls, shoulder presses, and an 18-minute ab/core video. I looked up the nearest golf course on a map and drove by it yesterday, thinking I might try running there tomorrow. I guess I should have gotten a clue by the name: “Mound Golf Course.” Not sure if the gentleness of the grass would make up for the hills you have to climb there. Smile Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Mornin' all. No running for me today. I never got around to posting my "milk run" last night. Yep, we were out of milk, and my girlfriend came by for a visit. So I ended up doing 3 1/4 mi with the last 3/4 mi carrying a 1/2 gallon of milk and a quart of kefir. They get heavy fast!!! But, it was about 8:30 at night, so many folks were out on their porches. I had several complimentary comments and cheers, which helped get me home. Smile Good runs to all today and good racing this weekend to our racers!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Smile Kind of a mixed bag of emotions for me today. Tomorrow is the 1/2 Ironman Triathlon (Muncie Endurathon) I have raced the past couple of years, and feel guilty for not doing it this year. BUT, tomorrow is suppose to be the hottest day of our summer so far, so actually I am relieved now because it's tough racing in those conditions for 5 hours plus. 2 years ago it was 96 degrees and very humid, and even the elite of the elite was walking portions of the very hilly 13.1 mile run. The mid packers I was with was all walking, and actually I was hurting so much that I had to walk at least 4 to 5 miles to the end...actually my speed walking was quicker than I was slog / jogging. Holly, hope running on the golf course helps. But even though the grass on golf courses grounds appear nice and smooth, the ground underneath still may be lumpy...which I don't run well on rough and lumpy surfaces myself. nonoruns, that's funny about your "milk run" last night...that's truly doing the going green thing Smile Also wanted to add that it's nice one of our newest RA family members ( HandyMom - Janet) has found a home here, and I appreciate her contributions about her runs and such..she's doing great Smile 4 very easy recovery miles for me last night, little sore but felt better when finished. Happy TGIF, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I went out this morning with the plan being to run 7 miles total with 3 or 4 in the middle at tempo pace. The 3 miles at tempo ended up being 8:10, 7:58, and 7:51 min/mile pace. The 4th tempo mile wasn't happening - easily anyway. I probably could have stuck with it but I would have been a tired puppy if I had. I know you all are interested in Spareribs and his decision on which Valve to use for his (possible upcoming) Aortic Valve replacement. http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33054 Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning Everyone, No run home from work recovering from yesterday's colonoscopy. 2 polyps removed & doc says I have some diverticulitis. Ordered not to eat popcorn, nuts, or cumcumbers for next 2 weeks until our follow-up appointment. These are 3 of my favorites, I eat all 3 almost everyday. Confused Holly good luck with the golf course, personallyI have trouble with the unstable footing on the grass. I always have sore feet & ankles after a grass run. Nono nice milk run, didn't they use to bring milk to the door. I had to look up kefir cause I don't think I ever heard of it, sounds like I may try it. If I can't eat popcorn, peanuts & cucumbers I have to find some replacements. I sorry to say I live .35 miles from a large grocery & have never walked there. Embarrassed Tim I'm sure these long tris are a great experience but I believe that in the long run (no pun intended) you will be a better runner with your energy put into your marathon training.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Breeger-Pretty solid running for a guy not racing soon... Holly-Just be careful...patience... TGIF...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                Good morning Boomers. No running for the third day and I'm climbing the walls. I've never been much of a swimmer but I feel like such a slug I may have to give it a try. I thought I might also try the eliptical trainer and see how that goes. I'd really like to try that 5K tomorrow... Today is our wedding anniversary and my DH is off in Ireland playing golf. He called yesterday and he sounded like he's having a wonderful time, so that's the best gift I think I could have given him. Meanwhile, I'm doing things he probably won't like when he gets home - moving furniture around in the living room, painting a bathroom, etc. Can't let life get boring, right? Wink May have to have a glass of wine to celebrate our golden anniversary (11 years on the 11th) tonight. Enjoy your Friday runs, everyone. How about putting in an extra mile for someone who would really like to be doing what you're doing! Jeanne

Top 'O the World!

I looked up the nearest golf course on a map and drove by it yesterday, thinking I might try running there tomorrow. I guess I should have gotten a clue by the name: “Mound Golf Course.” Not sure if the gentleness of the grass would make up for the hills you have to climb there. Smile !
                  Holly, I see folks all the time running around our neighborhood GC...however, you can see the entire thing sprawling UPWARDS from near our house! I think it's a 350' elevation rise from the North end to the South end!....coming back home is kinda kewl though! Wink & the club house is near the top!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Good morning, all! Jeanne - congratulations on #11 - sorry your husband can't be with you to celebrate, but it looks like you are keeping yourself occupied in his absence. I agree with Sarge on the grass running - I don't care for it at all. I have a small stretch of grass on my Avery Point run, and I can feel myself tightening up when I hit this area. Bill - nice tempo! Temperature was in the hig 50's to low 60's here this morning, and the humidity was much lower. Definitely more comfortable, but my heart rate was higher than expected. 7.1 hilly miles @9:54. Jesse and I are spending next week at doggy camp in Massachusetts. I'm hoping that our motel is in an area where we can run every morning to disperse some of her excess energy. Good runs and a good weekend to all! Best of luck to our weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs, about that....oh, nevermind....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Resting today. 10 miles tomorrow (I hope).

Tramps

Overslept and didn't get a run in this morning. I'll try later this evening. Went over to read Rib's post and poked around a bit. Nice to "see" folks over at KR. I didn't realize that many of you continued to post there as well. For the 4th of July weekend we got the HBO series "John Adams" via Netflix and just finished it last night. If you're interested in such things it's an entertaining and well-done series that presents a mainstream interpretation of the era. David McCullough can be a little melodramatic in his writing ("soap opera history" a friend of mine once called it) but the HBO production really seems authentic in presenting the period and its people with both their blemishes and redeeming qualities. Worth a look...and the DVD's have some nice little bonus material. Thumbs up.

Be safe. Be kind.

4 easy miles with T this morning,looks like another beautiful day in the PNW...prolly have to work tomorrow,but hoping I can get a long run done on Sunday
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Did I forget to post again? I forgot Wednesday as well, I think. Anyway 3 miles at recovery pace for me this morning. I have only been able to skim the past few days as we've had a very busy week. Spareribs -- best of luck -- you'll do fine of course. Good idea on the second opinion Tramps - thanks for reminding me -- I'm supposed to get one of "those" as well. Hmm, maybe I'll wait until this Mexico induced unpleasantness is just a distant memory before I schedule, though Undecided

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Did another 4.5 miles (was planning on 5 but ended up near the car at 4.5) last night at 7:15pm, 72F. I had done 7 miles in the morning. My first double. The second run was harder than I expected. Rest day today. I am getting pretty used to the uneven footing from running trails, and my ankles (and back! - from jumping over logs?) were noticeably sore after my last trail race. But grass is different. You can't see the dips as much so I'm not sure I'd want to run on it. It's looking to be another sunny weekend here! Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."