Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday 9/24/13 (Read 46 times)

Dave59

Not sure what you mean by "forked and spooned" Holly but I do know spooning can lead to forking. Blush

This got me thinking....

After waking up I went straight to work.  I thought I would complete a certain task and head over to the gym for a workout or a run on "The Curve" treadmill, but I am just now finishing it and I do not feel like running or doing anything.

So I am going to fix some dinner and see what carp is on TV.

Tramps

I'm another person who doesn't know what "forked and spooned" is.  Must be some cultural tradition unique to the Midwestern tribes.

Tramps some medium long runs are in my future.  Probably this Saturday.  I wish I could do tempo runs absent a race like you.  Somehow without the race stimulus I just peter out.

But that's what I find most useful about tempo runs, especially when they get longer.  They train your brain to dig down and push for an extended period of time when all it wants to do is convince you to slow down.  We have quite the conversation on these runs; sometimes full-blown arguments.

By medium LR's, I meant mid-week, a la Pfitz, so as not to interfere with your weekend long run.

Be safe. Be kind.

jlynne, I hope there are no problems from Sunday's tumble.  Twocat, you may not have been happy with your 30K but you got it done.  On the TP front, as a retired HS teacher, we were hit several times.  When our kids were in HS, some of their friends got us a few times, also.  As to the stealthy and sneaky, our son and some of his friends TPed inside the garage that was attached to the house of one of their classmates and the family involved never heard a thing.  Also, my son and some of his friends did a couple of "forking" and "spooning" jobs.  It's the only time I ever heard of it until Holly brought it up.

Nice long runs for Slo and Tramps.

This morning, it was about 40° and almost calm.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave59, I really like the quote at the bottom of your posts -- "Drink your wine. Laugh from your gut. Burden your moments with thankfulness. Be as empty as you can when that clock winds down. Spend your life. And if time is a river, may you leave a wake."  ~N.D. Wilson in Death by Living.

It's a gorgeous day here, too!  I ran about 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and wanted to do more, but I'm tapering...   have I ever told you guys I hate tapering?    And have I ever told you how much I love trail running?

There's new snow on the divide!  I took this from the top of the steep rocks on my favorite trail:

The aspen were so bright they were glowing:

Do you hear the trail calling your name?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

I do...I do hear it calling my name.  But, today, is my rest day.

Tramps, I couldn't agree with you more about the tempo run.  Mine is tomorrow and I can't wait.  It's at a pace that you have to stay focused on or you'll drop off real quick.  And there is no way I'd be able to maintain it without my Garmin telling me I'm on pace.

Speaking of my new training plan...were we speaking of my new training plan?  I really like it.  The Hanson Marathon Method.  It makes me feel like I'm actually training for something.  I just got stuck in the same old routine for so many years and I really needed this to kick me in the butt and get going.  My legs are tired all the time!

Yesterday's workout was really cool. I dread doing speed work and, even during my 3 mile warmup to the track, I was dreading getting there and having to suffer.  But the intervals flew by and I even added and extra 400 at the end...just because it felt like should be there.  It was a ladder workout--here's how it went:

400 - 1:21.8

800 - 2:49.7

1200 - 4:16.3

1600 - 5:43.6

1200 - 4:15.8

800 - 2:46.5

400 - 1:14.8

I did a 400 recovery lap at about 3 to 3:30 between each interval, then did a nice 3 mile cool down home.  I was really pumped all the way home because I just felt like I had a good quality workout.  Believe me, it was hard, but it wasn't a "throw myself on the ground and writhe in pain" kind of workout.  Anyway...it was good workout and I really need this day off.

Okay--I gotta go...because it's my one day a week off, DW always plans something....tonight it's an appointment with a health insurance broker...she's so much fun, my DW...

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo - "forked and spooned" is a tradition around here that goes with TP-ing, where plastic forks and spoons are stuck, upright, into the ground all over your lawn.

Carolyn - beautiful!

Mike - nice workout!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps I often try to do my long runs during the week and my medium long runs on weekends.  During the week I can sometimes avoid commuting in to work and on those days I figure a long run in exchange is a pretty fair time swap!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

But that's what I find most useful about tempo runs, especially when they get longer.  They train your brain to dig down and push for an extended period of time when all it wants to do is convince you to slow down.  We have quite the conversation on these runs; sometimes full-blown arguments.

Priceless!!!

Full-blown arguments is what I had with the brain tonight during my speed workout. The legs and brain were in total agreement that I should stop the misery, but my determination won!

4x800 meters at 7:53ish pace each with a 200m slow interval. Mighty happy with the pace. It felt hard, but not puking hard, which is normally how it feels for me to run that fast.  6 miles total.

Now off to enjoy twocat's Grilled Jerked chicken. I tell you if  you like chicken with a bite, this is a must try. 

Ohh the zest of life!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Tag got me out for two very slow miles.

Jlynne, we tried a pear/spinach salad. Oh My it was great.

SteveP