Masters Running

Update: 2010 Reunion Run w/ Ribs (Read 258 times)

Hi everyone!  We're back from the Cities, where as you might recall, Medtronic runs a Global Heroes program in conjunction with the Twin Cities Marathon and 10 Miler.  We've agreed Ribs will apply (you have to have an implantable medical device, and his aoric valve qualifies) and as many of us who can will join him at the races.

Here's what I can report back for all who are interested:

1. Really well-organized (nearly 40 years old) event.  Both races start from the Dome in Minneapolis, the 10 miler heading straight over the Mississippi to the capital in St. Paul, the marathon going around several lakes on it's way to the same finish (e.g., the 3 mile mark in the 10 mile race is the 19th for the marathoners.)  It's hyped as the "most beautiful urban marathon," and it certainly is very very scenic.

2. Lots of family events the day before--a Diaper Dash, Toddler Trot, and also a 5K and 10K.  We agreed I'd run the 10K as it started around the same time as the 10 miler and we'd use it a sort of dress rehearsal.  (I signed up so that we wouldn't just wake up and go back to sleep--once we paid for the registration, we're too frugal not to show!)  D. didn't want to run that far, so he waited until we all left, then just went out along the course a bit and came back to wait for me. 

3. Lots to do in the area--others from there can name more things, but there's a hands-on, kid friendly Science Museum near the finish line (the Expo is there too), along with several other good museums.  Lots of sports at that time (first weekend in Oct)--Twins, the Wild (hockey) and the Vikes.  Good theaters abound--you may have heard of the Guthrie, really stunning building and nationally recognized.  And for you shoppers, the Mall of America isn't too far, I'm told.

4. Back to the race--it draws really talented runners.  Collen De Reuck, on our Olympic Team in '04 and in her late 40s, led for most the way in the women's marathon but was overtaken and finished 2nd overall, 1st Masters.

There is a fair contingent of elite runners.

5. Ribs and anyone else interested in the Global Heroes--very very classy.   FIrst of all, the other 24 Heroes are incredible.  These are not people who think of themselves as disabled in any way.  One woman ran in the '96 Olympic Marathon Trials and now has a pacemaker, and is still fast--I think she won the Army 10 miler in '05 or so in DC.  Another had to defer from '08--he was selected as he has a spinal nerve stimulator for a Dystrophy condition.  An army vet, he was in Iraq after his selection, in the spring of '08 and his leg was blown up.  He made it this year, running on his prosthetic.  Another young man, studying for his Ph.D in autoimmune diseases, uses an insulin pump.  He finished the 10 mile race in 61 minutes. 

At the tour of the Medtronic labs, where the enthusiastic young scientists explained their work in what I'm sure they felt was a dumbed-down version for we lay folks, we tried hard to follow, but.....well, c'mon, spectroscopy is more than a Sudoku puzzle.  When we were asked if we had questions, we all looked at each other. Shoji, one of the Heroes from Japan, caught my eye and whispered: "She was speaking English, yes?"  "Just barely," I responded.  Finally someone asked: "Ah, where did you go to school?"  We then just asked her a bunch of questions about herself (nothing too nosey).

There are a very few things you have to attend so you have plenty of free time.  They pick you up at the airport with a car and driver--no waiting for others, you leave as soon as you have your baggage.  Pack light--we had to check a bag on the way home as they gave D. a jacket, a sturdy duffel bag, cap, big blanket, and beautiful statue.

So, keep this in mind.  I really hope we can make it happen as I think we'd have a truly memorable and fun weekend.  Anyone else with info about the race or area, chime in!

Edited to add:  When the application process for the Heroes opens up, we can support Ribs' application at the website. 

Also, I forgot to mention one of my favorite momentoes:  D. got a pretty plastic nametag with his name and "Rapid City, SD" below it.  I got one with my name and "Running Buddy" below my name.  Now if I can just figure out how to get paid for that designation.......

Masters 2000 miles
    SteveP

It sounds like a very wonderful event Aamos.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - I think that the Twin Cities is a nicely located marathon for a get-together in 2010.  It would be very kewl if we could get enough RA/Kick people coming to rent a house together like we did in Seattle.  We had SUCH a great time!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We are currently hovering between "maybe" and "probably" for 2010.

Sounds like a great race - and we've got family there too.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

If Ribs gets in, and it's like this year, he and the Saint will be at the Crowne Plaza on the St. Paul riverfront.

http://www.cpstpaul.com/

Medtronic maintains a room on the lobby level where you can leave notes for the Heroes, sit and chat a bit, etc.  IF we get enough folks going, I was thinking maybe we could look into using one of the conference rooms for a lunch or dinner--I'm guessing there are lots of open smaller rooms, as most weekend events are weddings or larger celebrations and there are probably a lot of vacant smaller conference type rooms.

That would give us more of a chance to circulate and visit with each other than sitting in a restaurant. 

If we had enough people and could get a house, that'd be really great. 

If not, maybe when we send in our recommendations to Ribs to Medtronic, we can add a postscript that he ought to get a suite, preferably on one of the top floors, so we can all pay due homage!

Masters 2000 miles
              Great ideas here Amy and count me in to help support the nomination. I can't make a Fall 2010 marathon decision yet, but will try to make this happen.

Surely a suite will be essential!

Renee the dog

Assuming I make it through my first two marathons, I'd be up for this.  Bayside says "Sure thing" esp. since there's shorter races and family races too! Great idea Aamos!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!