Masters Running

Tues - Get Out and Vote - Day (Read 372 times)

I've also heard that story that conditioning is usually the culprit of cramping muscles, and I believe it.  The muscles I guess just "give out" and start mis-firing

Erika, you are in the heart of "Pill Hill".

Dave, your GD sounds a bit like Holly's DD.

5.2 miles, using my headlamp for the first time this year.  It was definitely needed.  Since it was just around the dew point at 6am, my breath was condensing and being glaringly lit up by the lamp, so much so that I couldn't see in front of me everytime I exhaled.  Body parts are behaving nicely these days.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

On long runs, he often gets hit with painful cramps always in the same area, the calf or soleus.  He does exercises, stretches, ART, everything, but they continue.  At the Half it got him again at ten miles and he ended up jog/walking it in. I ran back to bring him in and it was painful to see.

I asked the guy who owns the gym where I am a member.  He is a short, muscular guy who is into wight lifting competitions but has added marathons and ultra running.  Here is what he said:

"I struggled with that badly the first year I was running. The only fix for me was to change my stride and really embrace the mid foot strike. Sort of Chi-running style."

It was neat to hear about an evan/enke run on Sun.  wild, nice trail marathon with 3rd in AG.  Also, I loved the climbing pictures and scenery but you'll never see me attempt it.  Twocat, good news on getting your electric back.  I hope the forecast storm fizzles and/or is mild.  lyndon, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.  opie, those persistent headaches are something to be concerned about.  I hope you get a handle on the problem.  dave, great you got a run in without discomfort.  tet, you just keep chalking up those marathons.  evan, glad to hear your dad's surgery went well.

Dave, Annabelle is one smart kid.  Your story reminds me of one about my brother Dave (selb3 who some of you remember).  Dave is 16 years younger than me so when I came home from college on breaks, he was a preschooler.  One year, at Christmas, one of my sisters had to work as a nurses aid Christmas morning so the decision was made for Santa to come Christmas eve.  To make this work, I took Dave for a ride to see the Christmas lights and, you guessed it, Santa came while we were out.  Fast forward to the next year.  Early on Christmas eve, Dave asked if we could go for a ride to see the Christmas lights.

Nice long runs for opie and Slo.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in about 8 miles.  The memory on my GPS got filled up and I didn't realize it until I was almost done and checked to see how I was doing. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

A few mailes with the mutt.

Off to hide Batman shirts.

SteveP

Bushrat Runner

16 gusting 29 mph, 10 F, 4 miles. 

Ribs.      About what to do for leg leg cramps.  If you get them, it helps to drink Tonic Water (diet type is OK) , or take the OTC Leg Cramp pills to get rid of them.   The reason is the quinine in the Tonic Water.  I am wondering if drinking Tonic Water along the course would help a person who feels them coming on.  

I am back to the hilly woods trail.  Also doing pool exercises and floor exercises, and my back is better.  

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Has anyone mentioned magnesium for the leg cramps? Endurolytes have magnesium, as well as potassium and other essential electrolytes, and have staved off post-race cramping for me, especially during the summer months.

SteveP, I keep meaning to mention, I really like your avatar! Wink

6 miles at the track today, practicing MP. Was too fast and it was too easy. Guess I nailed it.

Good evening, all!