Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.11.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Wow, everyone's doing a 50 to celebrate 50 in VT. next September!! I'll bring the birthday cakes.

Lamerunner, one of these years I have to get up to Manchester to enjoy your half marathon.

We left yesterday morning to start the drive to DW's family reunion just south of Virginia Beach. We got to Dover, DE, and stopped for the night. We got to bed at a reasonable hour, but then I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep because a couple of unfinished projects were on my mind, I finally just got up and went into the bathroom with my laptop to write and send a few emails to get things closer to completion. I got back to sleep at about 3, woke at 5, went and did a few miles on the hotel dreadmill. Now I'm looking forward to an interesting day as we complete the drive to VA, hit the Trader Joe's in Virginia Beach, and then check into our rental house for what promises to be a very rainy, but very fun weekend. And maybe I'll get some sleep sometime...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning everyone,

Jay enjoy the reunion, hope you can get outside for a good workout

Nice run yesterday Wild, the nasty weather runs always feel great when you're done, it always feels like more has been accomplished! aka BadassCool

22 days to marathon last hard workout tomorrow 16 miles with last 6 at MP (9:05) last 2 at 8:45 if possibleJoking

Rest day today!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Almost made it to a quarter-Mary this morning.  6.25 with two laps around the lake.  Off to Maine tonight to inspect the new roof and then close the camp.  REALLY looking forward to the wading in the lake for dock pulling.

Have a great weekend all.  Run and race well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Hey Hey Hey...It's Friday and I ain't workin (at work) this weekend !!!! There may be an item or two knocked off of the honey do though.

Just shy of 8 slow miles this morning. I feel worn down and beat up. A good thing...I've been strength trainiing and hitting the spin bike along with getting 40 - 50 miles of running in the last three weeks.

Looking forward to the BIL's annual Bon Fire tomorrow night. Never boring when you have a large gathering of proud rednecks!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Only the 100 mile Tet-man can cut a phrase like this:

" I was a skier who only ran when there was no snow to do on what snow is made for doing on."

The VT 50 - a guy in my gym just did it - in 8:37.  He's awesome.  I hear it fills up quickly...

Yesterday - 7 wimpy miles.  This morning - fizzy lifting, stepperfication, and spinnerooni.  Took it easy because it's the Hartford marathon tomorrow.

Forgot to mention that I had an echo cardio gram on Tuesday. It was pretty cool - an ultrasound for the heart.  No results yet.  My doc asked me to do it because there was "something weird" on the EKG during my regular checkup.  Personally, I think the tech didn't know how to administer the EKG. While getting the ultrasound, the nurse practicioner said my heart rate was dipping into the 30's.

Slow Joe - still ticking, but slowly...

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

It so great to see how the 50/50 VT celebration and RA gathering is shaping up!

Enjoy your fun weekend Jay.

Stumpy, a trip to Maine this time of the year must be magnificent.

I am on furlough today, so I have the whole day to run. My plan is to paint the family room today. Off to one of my favorite stores: Home Depot to choose and buy the paint, then let the fun beging! Yiipiiie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

22 days to marathon last hard workout tomorrow 16 miles with last 6 at MP (9:05) last 2 at 8:45 if possibleJoking

Good luck!  Which marathon?

Jay - We have a Trader Joe's here and go there about once a month to stock up on various things.

Joe - glad your heart is still ticking....

Slo - sure would be fun to crash one of your family bonfires!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

We're going to a friend's dinner/birthday party tonight, which should be fun.  However, given that I have a 17-mile trail race in the morning, I am hoping we don't stay late, and that I remember to keep the wine to a minimum...not a goal race or anything, but I still want to feel good for it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 I was so inspired by your post about doing a run for my age that this morning I not only did it but blew through the goal entirely!  Yes, off for 53 meters I went!  After that, I still felt good so I did another 53 meters, and another.  Well by the time I was done I had pocketed 260 of them!  Pretty impressive eh?  Best of all now I do not have to sign up for any ultra races seeing as how I already hit my age in distance today!

As part of the run it was me against the zombies.  But the app cheated.  First there were no zombie chases.  Then one finally came up, I cranked up the speed and still got caught.  Okay, it happens.  You think you are speeding along and you are not.  Then I stopped to talk to a friend of mine and put the app on pause.  When I resumed within 20 feet I hear "zombies 100 meters"  then two seconds later "9 items dropped zombies distracted."  What gives?  The chase is supposed to be for a minute.  Then I get home and after I arrive at the front door I hear "zombies 100 meters."  Sorry, there are no zombies at my house.  Off the app went.  In the end it was 260 runs of 53 meters each.  Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Jay—I’ll be waving as you go by today.

Stumpy—sounds like a nice weekend.

Slo—rednecks and fire. Good combo. Plus, I assume, alcohol.

PBJ—he takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’

Mari—hopefully this will be your last furlough day.  Lots of talking going on.

Holly—step away from the birthday cake.

I’d be too old to do a 50/50 next year but I’m game on taking up the challenge right now, while I still qualify.  I’ve always wanted to try a 24-hour ultra-type event.

We are talking about “50 beers for 50 years,” right?

Just an easy 12 today.  I bagged the planned tempo miles, feeling fatigued and a little concerned about a sharp twinge in my right leg that’s been developing.  It took 8 miles or so before it loosened up fully and I could try out a single tempo-paced mile, which felt okay.  Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and after lots of hemming and hawing and plenty of test drives we finally pulled the trigger on a little Subaru Impreza wagon.  Seems like a nice little car, good mileage, decent cargo space, plus the bonus of AWD.  We’ve done our due diligence, now we can only hope for the best.

Good luck to all the racers!

10/12 CNYrunner - Hartford half-marathon, Hartford, CT

10/12 pfriese - The Terminator Half Marathon, OKC, OK

10/12 HollyS - Blair Witch V 17-mile Trail Run, Vandalia, OH

10/13 CNYrunner - Wayland XC Festival, Wayland, MA

10/13 OrangeMat - Bank of America Chicago Marathon, Chicago, IL

10/13 Ileneforward - Long Beach Marathon, LB CA

10/13 IBleedUnionBlue - Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon, Dayton OH

10/14 LaTortuga  - Tufts 10K, MA

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Home from Raleigh last night for dinner and today did my first real run since the trail race, just 3.4 easy miles. I should be okay now.

Nice HR Joe!  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks a lot pbj.
                        Have fun in your marathon, everyone else too,
                        especially the back-to-backers, doublers, etc..
                        ps - how much longer, if at all, do you have for your 50-miler?

Good job too to twocat, only 2,777 more laps to go for the 160,927 meters we've got you signed up for.
                        Even though it was a DQ over the cutoff, I’m not that shy about wearing the 100M event sweat all the time, . . I mean whenever possibl,,.. I mean somet,.. make that occasionally, if at all.  However, since they don’t deal in miles in Japan, my fellow marathon Joyfuls wondered what kind of a 100 meter race would give out a hooded sweatshirt, let alone be a distance that I would even enter.. 
                        Tamps - have fun with the 24-hour. I’m only sorry it took me so long to realize that, as long as you start and don’t cheat, there’s no DQ’s or DNF’s in the timed runs, plus you can stop and feast at the aid tables, aka banquet spreads, along the way and nap, sleep, and warm up to your heart’s content too.  How much more time do you have to find one?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

Slo—rednecks and fire. Good combo. Plus, I assume, alcohol.

You forgot to mention the Home Made Cannon.

My Sister in Law, one of the out laws, gives it a thumbs up.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Most actions prefaced by "What could go wrong?" or "Watch while I try this............." do not have happy outcomes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

A VT50  meet up.  Hmmmm . . . . . . The two big questions are (1) how fast does it fill up and (2) is the piggy bank full enough?

Loved everyone's posts, but I'm stunned by Jay's comment that he forgot to take a nap and Tet's comment that he's going to train.  I need a reality check.

Loved the photos, SteveP.

I'm still not doing anything.  I contemplated running tomorrow, but then figured, "Why ruin a good week of down time?"  Will get back into on Monday.  Am already looking at my schedule for next year.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Of course...the home made cannon...how could anybody forget to mention that...