Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 905 times)

Me

OK, so here it is.  The new thread.  How do you like it?

I am in Florida, but thanks to technology, I have my computer with me.  I got up early so that I could run this morning (you'll never guess how far).  I went down to the training session at 7:00 and found that it doesn't start until 1:00 this afternoon.  so I've been sitting in my room working on paperwork.  I should have gone for a drive, because I rented a convertible. I'll do that tonight!

I think my hill session from last weekend may be paying some dividends already.  I went out for a tempo run this morning and turned in my fastest paced run to date.

Cheers,

Mike

Teresadfp

One day at a time

All shiny and new!  Thanks, Mike!
        Mike, A drive in a convertable in Florida! Youre torturing me. Its going to rain (again) in new england and its cold. Ugh. Congrats on your run. What pace?

Theresa, its all part of growing up. Did he study? Does he do tests well? I think they have proven that boys have difficulty on the drivers exam. I dont know why.

Linda, I love MT biking. Do you have a lot of trails up there? Too fun.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

it rained tonight, so I had to have the top on the car up.  But tomorrow I'm driving to marco island to have dinner with my cousin and her family.  I'm hoping for sun.

My pace was 8:09 min/mile. 

I'm glad that you like the new place.

cheers,

Mike

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, it's the road test he fails.  He took a driver's ed course, so he doesn't have to take a written test.  I think he just gets nervous and forgets to think about the "little" details.

We have a lot of trails to bike on up here, but we don't use them much!  DH and boys like their road bikes a lot.

I have to miss my boot camp this morning to talk to DS's college consultant - it was the only time for a meeting we could find.  We sure are spending a lot of time on this boy!!  I'll get my run in this afternoon. 

Have a great day!

Rindaroo

Hey all -

ok so now I'm irritated... 2 nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night having trouble breathing...  after riding 2 loops with DD.  Tonight I had an asthma attack about an hour after riding 1 loop... grrrrrr  Is someone trying to tell me something?

Mike- cool on the convertible  and you started a new thread?????  lol

Laurie - yes plenty of mountain bike trails.. but hills are seeming to be a big problem on the ole bronchs.. have to figure this out.

Linda, man if its not one thing its another. So sad to hear about asthma troubles. But always interpret asthma and breathing difficulties as a sign to move to Hawaii where the air is clean, fresh and always warm. Alergies on the other hand, are a sign to move to the Carribean.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Beginner all over again

Why'd we get a new thread? I'm gone a few days and everything is New and Improved here    Well, I'm sure it was for a Good Reason, so thanks for the New Thread!!

I'm getting close to the 4 mile and/or hour mark in my Run/Walk/Run's now.  I think this is the point where I tend to overdo it.  I used to run all my runs about the same distance.  This round, I'm going to try to Keep my Tues/Thurs at 40 minutes  and just increase my Weekeng Long Run .

Crossing Fingrers I don't get shin splints or any other aches/pains.

Tomorrow, I'm looking for some graph climb on my my Distance Chart

Linda -- Sorry to hear about your asthma. I hope it's getting better already. And you have a high schooler now. (!)  Have fun with that

Laurie -- are you XT now?  How is everything going.

Mike - that's for the shiny new thread.  Looks nice!

And Hi Teresa!

Eliz....Eliz...Where are you?

Frances, do you do any tempo or fartlek runs? Or are you just trying to get your distance up? They say its a little easier on your body to fill in with tempo, hill, trail and fartlek runs. I highly recommend trails.

My leg is doing remarkably better. Thank you for asking. The constant pain is gone. Now I only get pain during a run (well all it was was across the street) and yoga. Then some pain the day after a resistance cord workout.

So yes I am doing a bit of cross training. I bought a 10 minute solution stability ball workout dvd. Its a good workout. Especially the core part. There are 5 different 10 minute workouts. And I bought the Gaiam resistance cord and workout dvd. Those are good too. I can take those to work and exercise after traffic stops.

2000 yds swim today. Mike thats about a 6.5 mile run. hehehe. I can now breast stroke without leg pain. Yeah! I had a reiki healing session and I am crediting my improvement to it. I am so glad I can swim and I thank God after each swim.

Wheres Kevin?

Hows Florida Mike?

Laurie

dg.

Nice thread, Mike!    

Fast four! 

I'm so sorry... there were boatloads (big boats) of things I wanted to comment on from the last thread.  I guess, it probably won't happen.  you all know what I would say anyway.

Linda... I'm so sorry!!!    It was so great to think this was one problem you didn't have anymore.   I started to look at some of the older threads to try to find some clues, seems there were a few times when you had some real ah ha! moments as far as your bronchials go.  Ran out of time though.  Are you still on any meds?

Frances, we used to start one often.  this was a world record.  Mike was about to blow a gasket.    good luck with your ramping up!

Teresa, your rest took care of your quad pain?   How is your DS now?

Laurie, glad you are making some progress.  yes, I think you should report your swimming.  it definitely counts!   (hi!  you posted while I was writing)

Kevin... time to report. 

And I have a question.  When your knee bothers you, what is wrong with it?  What exercises do you do to correct it?  I'm having problems with my right knee, it's been about a month.   At a runners injury clinic at a PT place (they're really good, but it was a short exam) she said maybe it's my meniscus, but inflammation instead of a tear.  Only thing is, I read online yesterday that the medial meniscus doesn't have many blood vessels, so it doesn't get inflamed.   I may break down & go see the sports med doc again.  I don't want to let this turn into something major. 

Roberta, it was good to hear from you.  glad you're still at it.

Eliz, how do you like Higdon's plan?  How's it going?

I just got  Brad Hudson's "run faster from the 5K to the marathon".   It is really good.

I'm having to shift my plan around a bit, it's still in a bit of flux.  but I don't dare grrr after all Linda has been through.  I ran 9.5 last Sunday, 6  on Tuesday, but just 4.something on Thursday.  tomorrow I'll play by ear.  I'd do the elliptical but it bothers my knee, so I'm going to do more core strengthening.. be more consistent with my PT exercises.     that's about it for now. 

hey it's finally getting warm!   

Teresadfp

One day at a time

dg, good luck with your strengthening! My quads feel fine now, whoo hoo!  We're in a very rainy stretch, so I ran at the Y today (indoor track).  That bugs me during the winter, but it's kind of fun once in awhile.  Off to Bar Harbor tomorrow for 6 days.  Looks like it will keep raining for a few days, so I'll have to find indoor stuff to keep the kids occupied.  DS is happy because his last final was today.  We actually have to interrupt our trip to bring him back for a college interview on Monday!  Seems ridiculous, but that's how the timing worked out.

I'm hoping to get some longer runs in during vacation.  They've been too short lately!  I need to start building up endurance again.  I signed up for HM training at the Y beginning in July, and the instructor is pretty tough.  Yikes!  I will have to tell her I'm slow, so don't expect me to keep up with everyone else on training runs!

Beginner all over again

Frances, we used to start one often.  this was a world record.  Mike was about to blow a gasket.      

Oh, okay.  On the another group here they are up to about 190 pages in a single  thread, so the old one didn't quite seem "old" yet to me   Mike is feeling better now I bet.  ( Mike? ::waving:: )

deb, remember all things written online about medical issues arent 100% correct. My recommendation is to stop running, get to the sports doc and read my post about how not to heal.

Theresa, you must be getting the same weather we have. Rain nearly everyday. Sucks. At least with swimming I can still get a decent workout in. Have fun in Bar Harbor. I have always wanted to go there. This year will be Winnepesaukee for us...again. Glad youre quads are back in business. Shows how important and effective a small break can be (deb, hint hint).

Laurie

Laurie - thanks for the shout out. 

I'm still around, but I feel like I'm doomed to permanant lurk-dom.  I have an iPhone - which I LOVE - so I read the boards more frequently, but I haven't figured out how to post.

Crazy last week of school, with an evening round-trip to the shore and a Buffett concert for good measure, and I'm beat! 

Will have some downtime on Monday and promise to check-in properly then.

Good runs, etc., all!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Beginner all over again

Frances, do you do any tempo or fartlek runs? Or are you just trying to get your distance up? They say its a little easier on your body to fill in with tempo, hill, trail and fartlek runs. I highly recommend trails.

I'd have to say I'm still in the "just trying to increase time on feet" (aka distance).

"They" are probably on to something. I do feel better when I inadvertantly change things up a bit, even is a very minor way.

Mostly, I just run the dirt paths.  Some parts are packed dirt with embedded little rocks with a rare one sticking out to avoid, other parts are loosely softer dirt without even a pebble.

No real trails to run here locally and frankly, I'm too afraid to turn an ankle or see a big-cat.

I never run on sidewalks or asphalt. Not yet anyway.

I'm too out of shape to do hill or fartlek.  Really. My fitness is really Zero Level.

I'm spending the summer just kind of maintaining Tue/Thur (40 mins on feet) with Saturdays going more minutes (aka more distance).

I hope it's not going to be hard on my body. 

What do you think? Should I change it up a bit? if my goal is just to increase mileage?  I'm going to run a HM in May 2010.  Sounds far off, but for This Beginner, it seems looming on the horizon and still a lofty goal at this point!

I'm prone to running myself into aches and pains, so I'm a Big Chicken when it comes to ramping up or changing things around.

But honestly, I am open to suggestions.  Just wondering exactly how important it is to be changing this up (quality) as opposed to just doing  all runs Easy.