Masters Running

So it begins: Saturday, 1.2.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It seems that everyone who posted got the new year off to a good start, one way or another. Thanks for the stories about your mom, Mike. It's great that you have such meaningful memories of her. Keep up the good work to help DD, Starr. You'll both benefit, in the long run. Enke, I've also discovered that I need to do more varied body work. I've got no gym or club, so I do what I can at home with some stretch bands, various balls, a few weights, etc. It's all good. Great run to start off 2016, Paul! Sad story about the DD, Tet. I do hope the truth will set her free. A "Pie of The Month" would be very dangerous around here! Then again, so was the cheese cake that DW made a couple of days ago...

5.4 RW miles in 30F temps, under a cloudy sky this morning. I was still a bit tight from yesterday's race (not enough post-race stretching), but it felt good to get out, take it easy, and move the parts around. Now I have to round up our guests and get them to our favorite dive for breakfast before it gets too crowded and we wind up having to wait in line for a table.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//............I was telling Claire about RaceWalking, she didn't quite ''get it'' but it was Hilarious watching her try to DO it///////

..I also tried to demonstrate, but still can't ''cross the mid-line'' with my hips,

so saving it for Spring

==================

...40-min PoolRun with belt, cf, ris

one of the guys at the Y has lost 140-lbs over 2-years/////////

Congratulated him,

and

complemented him on losing 2-more lbs whilst visiting in the South,

Our Cooking

is not noted for Weight Loss

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

moebo

Good morning and (belated) Happy New Year to all!

One of my goals for this year is to read more novels. I think I will aim for at least one book a month (and hopefully more). My son gave me a copy of Room by Emma Donogue for Christmas, so I am starting with that. I am hoping to tackle at least the first volume of Proust's In Seach of Lost Time next. (There, I said it. Now I may just have to actually do it!)

Ribs, the only thing by Anthony Trollope I have ever read is another one of the Palliser novels, Phineas Finn. I enjoyed it immensely. Maybe I will add The Eustace Diamonds to my list.

I got out for 7.3 slow, hilly miles for my first run of the year. It was very hard but I am glad I stuck it out. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

King of PhotoShop

Moebo, if you read Phineas Finn, then you made a good choice.  It follows the Eustace Diamonds in what is called the "Palliser Series" so it would be a logical choice for you. However, his series called the Barchester novels, which begins with "The Warden" in my opinion are much more readable and funny.  Good for you for tackling Trollope.

The Saint and I ran the inaugural race of the Dallas Running Club's 2016 series, the "Frigid 5K and 10K" with her running the tenK as she wanted the miles, and me running the 5K because my legs are tired!  I got an AG 3rd out of it, and although my time was slow, my mile splits were fairly even at 9:07 so I was happy with it.

Bunch of Hudson's classmates in Dallas for a weekend concert so we're expecting a big dinner. I'll make a beef stew with noodles. Should be fun with half a dozen college freshmen hanging around the house.  Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Spareribs  Congratulations on your well-executed 5K and age group award. And good for The Saint on her 10K. How fun to have the young folks in town for dinner!  We loved having that generation around over the holidays. In addition to the fun family card games, our son-in-law spent the mornings with a pen and the newspaper and had us all working the crossword puzzle together. No phones allowed per the SIL and BigJoe.

Moebobo  Okay. Perhaps stating outloud the reading goal will hold us all accountable.

Does anyone else ever feel guilty for reading?  When I start reading, I can stick with it for hours and hours. I am transported inside the novel and stay there until the last page is read. Instead of Attention Defiict Disorder (ADD) I think I have Attention Surplus Disorder.

TomWhite I would have loved to have seen Claire trying to racewalk!  I love watching kids imitate grown-up movements. We never look as cute as they do.

JayWalker Nice racewalking!  How was breakfast?  I made steelcut oats for the r.s. this morning. I toasted the oats in the oven before cooking them on the stovetop. Steelcut oats are really just gruel, right?  I also heated up some frozen blueberries and threw in some bananas.

Holly It's great to clean up Christmas before the New Year. However, I can't seem to put Christmas away until the Epiphany. I should wait until we are well into Advent before I begin decorating , but it always seems to get going the first Sunday of Advent!

Recovery Day for me this beautiful Saturday morning. My MIL is celebrating her 88th birthday today. She is the mother of 9 children, 4 girls and 5 boys (she was only pregnant 8 times since the middle pregnancy was a healthy set of twin boys).  Her oldest son died in 1998. Everyone else is still around. Her husband, my FIL, will be 89 in June. He takes care of her but they both probably need to be cared for. They want to "age in place" so the offspring living near them in Ohio visit them quite frequently to do laundry and light housekeeping. I am married to the youngest of their children. I feel fortunate to be a part of this family.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

I admit I am sometimes a little intimidated by what you folks here read, since my tastes tend to be more, well, light entertainment than anything terribly profound.  My latest happy read was Deadline, by John Sandford, my new favorite of the Virgil Flowers books - an entertaining murder mystery that made me laugh out loud several times.  And I have been working my way through the Ender books by Orson Scott Card, which are great as audio books to listen to while running.

My biggest discovery of late is that I can read my Kindle books on my phone.  I discovered this when I got to DD's orthodontist appointment, opened my Kindle, and found the battery dead.  I pulled out my phone, downloaded the Kindle app, and opened the book I had been reading on my Kindle at exactly the same location, and found the print surprisingly easy to read on my Galaxy phone.  This is awesome!

16 miles for me this morning in 28 breezy degrees.  As chilly as it was, the sunshine was bright and warm on my face.  I took a lot of walking breaks, but that's okay.  I was happy to be out there.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

I received several books for Christmas which should keep me occupied if we continue to get these ice storms every 2-3 weeks. I read "The Only Street in Paris: Life on the Rue des Martyrs" by Elaine Sciolino over the holidays.

As far as running, a nice easy 5 mile run to the park & back on a very pretty, sunny day here.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

mrrun

My GD1 also writes down all the books she reads and her goal for 2016 is 240 books, 20 more then she read last year (she's 9)

we were supposed to have all the grandkids here today but the 3 yo got sick on the way down so they didn't make it.  instead we had the usual triumvirate and they finished the 1000 piece puzzle I was working on.  Henry ran before they came and I said I would run after but instead I'm settling down with a glass of wine - and will run longer tomorrow.

Nice racing for Ribs & Saint today and Jay yesterday.  And some other nice racing and runs that I can't remember.

Enjoy the rest of the w/e

marj

marj and henrun, good job in your 5K with 1st and 2nd in AG.  Jay, nice 5K.  Mike, neat remembering your mother.  ribs, nice 5K with 3rd in AG and good job for The Saint in her 10K.

Nice long runs for pfriese, mari, and Holly.

This morning, I did a 5K.  My GPS gave me a time of 32:22, distance of 3.11 miles, and pace of 10:24.  I was 3/3 in my AG (70+) and 49/66 OA.  I did a mile before the race and 1.9 after to give me 6 miles for the day.  I got a lot of good visiting in with my racing friends.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...today...my sister would have been 61.  (Yes--my mom died on my sister's birthday, 15 years ago)  Sometimes I get angry at Bonnie for doing stupid things that put herself in the situation that contributed to her death almost three years ago.  But mostly, I feel bad about the childhood that she endured...I don't think she really ever got over it.  She put herself through college and earned her PhD...but I don't think she was ever satisfied with anything she ever accomplished.  She loved her kids and her only grandson...and her cats...and me.  For some reason, she put me on a pedestal that I had no right to be on....and then, I let her down at the end.  I still feel very guilty for not doing more for her...I knew something wasn't right...and I just let it continue.  Well--aren't I a cheery one?!  Sorry.

I spent, just about the entire day, trying to figure out how I am going to do the remaining marathons I have, in the amount of time I have left to do them.  It's not working out so well.

I went 8 miles, today.  It was a nice sunny day...but a bit windy.

Okay--I'll leave you all alone.  See ya!

Oh--just in case you were wondering--it's supposed to be partly cloudy and 43 - 66 degrees next Saturday in Jackson, MS.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, Mike, the new year IS a time for retrospection.  And not all memories are good ones.  But based on what you've shared with us, you've got a pretty good number of good ones to balance. (See Mom from yesterday)

It's been a bit since I posted anything--forget exactly when.  DW and I had a very busy 5 days in LA to help DD move back and into a new apartment.  We flew out early Monday morning and palyed tourist untilTuesady night when she finished off her x-country drive and picked up the apartment keys.  When she left, she expected to be gone for a few months and ended up spending a year and a half in Portland, ME.  So there was a LOT rediscovery time going through her box and go storage.  Good thing I was able to rent a SUV, as we did a LOT of shopping, including a trip to IKEA and Tarjay for a bed and other essentials

We took the red-eye back Frdiay night and got an uncommon luxery of an empty middle seat between us.  Not a whole lot of sleep, though.  So today was a veg out day after a 5 hour nap

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Well, Mike, the new year IS a time for retrospection.  And not all memories are good ones.  But based on what you've shared with us, you've got a pretty good number of good ones to balance. (See Mom from yesterday)

Well said.

MikeE,  you are a leader to many. And we are so honored to know you.

Marj, I absolutely love the picture of the kids. Sorry that the other ones were not able to make it.

Spareribs, how did the collage troop enjoy your dinner?

Moabo, enjoy your reading! I also would like to read more...and run more.

RosedColoredGlasses, I do indeed feel guilty about reading because I spend so many hours doing work things, either at the office or at home...so when I have free time, I feel that I need to be cleaning, and doing home tasks. I need to get over that feeling since I am not the only one who lives in this house...

No running for me today, instead was 11 miles of the best cross country skiing snow we have  had in the last decade around here. The day was gorgeous. So happy to be alive and be able to ski to high places.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Stumpy, sometimes that's what you need after those long flights. I know this.... Glad you got your DD settled.

Mike E, I loved the stories you posted about your mom, and I remember when your sister Bonnie died. You can't change the past, or your family members. Just remember them in the best way possible. The rest really doesn't matter.

Ran 9.6 today, in mid-20's temps. It was really quite nice out with virtually no wind. I overheated a bit at the beginning, and cooled off a bit at the end as the temps dropped a bit. Really steady pacing with most miles in the 8:10 to 8:15 range. Nice. I did have to stop a few times for wardrobe adjustments, as I over heated quite a bit in mile 3 (off came mitt covers) and mile 4 (off came neck gaitor), then cooled off a bit in later miles (neck gaitor back on, mitt covers back on) as I finished up. A good run though. I'm really not looking forward to going back to work on Monday and losing my free time approach to the day.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike E, I loved the stories you posted about your mom, and I remember when your sister Bonnie died. You can't change the past, or your family members. Just remember them in the best way possible. The rest really doesn't matter.

me too. maybe when it's hard not to blame yourself, getting dedicated to more immediate positive goals in the here-and-now as you are doing in spades will eventually balance out the other parts.  Unfortunately, it sometimes seems to take a very long time, if ever.  Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

More than four hours of the most popular cross-training over here, . . . standing for almost 600 miles this Sunday afternoon on the busiest travel day of the year with the Shinkansen Bullet trains bringing everyone back from hometown New Year’s feasting to a new work year in the cities. I don’t have a Japan home town but that didn’t deter as much New Year’s weekend feasting as possible on more different kinds of delicious seafoods than it would be possible to eat in the U.S. even if we wanted to. Too bad it doesn't make me run fast.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)