Masters Running

TGIF, 6/12 Master Runs (Read 325 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Friday!!

I got up and out for a slow and steady 3 miles.  10:06 avg. pace and 156 avg. HR    Then at home I did 300 various crunches, 40 push ups and 30 leg lifts on each leg.    Of course, Brinkley joined me on my little run today ....

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Mary and Happy Friday indeed!  Home is always best and after a hectic week on the road, I am ecstatic about being back for a few days. 7 miles for me this morning at 6:00 am in the rain. Easy, steady run and all was well. Mama bear and two cubs crossed my path on my street as I finished my run. Good timing as the Bear Festival in the town next to mine begins tomorrow. Eek. 

Now off to do my weights and core work and catch up with what's happening here. Lots of reading to do I see!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning Mary and Karin

3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 31:13 (10:24 pace, AHR 142) 71F 91% humidity

...I don't like running with a bag of dog poop...  need to train Sadie..

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

3 recovery miles with Renee. Was supposed to be a 3.5 farlek, but my achilles was bothering me yesterday afternoon.  Iced it twice, worked on some trigger points in my calf, and for insurance, I taped this morning too.   Everything felt normal. So, something probably worked! LOL

Weather was perfect: 72ºF and 93%H. 

Oh, and if the achilles tenderness wasn't brought on by my recent attempts at hill work, it was probably giving both my kids a simultaneous ride on my back, including going down the stairs....

Good runs to all today! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I came to the painful conclusion during my run in the humidity last night that I am not drinking enough during the day. I ran 5 easy miles, but my left hamstring cramped right up at the conclusion of the run.

This morning it was off to the gym for 3 rounds of

21 deadlifts, 21 handstand pushups, 15 thrusters, 15 pullups, 9 cleans and 9 ring dips. I will run after work today and hydrate hydrate hydrate!

Mary good to see you on the road this morning, you deserve to do good things for yourself, especially in times of stress.

DS called and said he "ran into" Hasheem Thabeet - the center on last year's UConn Huskies basketball team - on the hotel basketball court last evening.

I hope not literally "ran into".  At 6' 4" tall and lanky, DS is dwarfed by Hakeem at 7' 3" and 267.  DS would not be the winner in that deal.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Always a good morning when Mary and Brinkley start us off!  Even better if it is a Friday.

Karin - mama bear and cubs?!!! Glad you were finished with your run - would hate to see you eaten by a mad mama bear!

Perch - I concur - I feel really stupid carrying my sandwich bag of dog poop, but it also rankles me that owners don't pick up after their dogs in public places. 

nono - glad the Achilles problem resolved.

Thunderstorms here this morning, so my easy run was on the treadmill - 6.5 miles with 149 AHR.  I had more sproink than usual for a Friday. 

DH and I are going to see Crosby, Stills and Nash tomorrow at the Foxwoods.  We're also going to the Bodies Revealed exhibit - also at the Foxwoods.  Should be an interesting day.

Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – I am always impressed with your crunches.  I usually only do about half that.

CNYrunner – bears?  Wow!

Nono – that’s a form of x-training, right?

Sue – Crosby, Stills and Nash – very cool!

Mariposai - congratulations to your fine son!  That's quite an accomplishment.

9 easy-paced (ave 10:18) miles for me this morning in 64°, including 8 x 100m “surges.”  Sproink is almost back....

We’re going to an outdoor concert tonight with 2 other couples (a local band, The Menus) and everyone is meeting at our house first for dinner (London broil, salad, crusty bread/goat cheese, wine), so I thought I should run some extra miles today. 

Then in the morning we’re driving DS to the airport.  He’s flying by himself for the first time (a nonstop flight, still this costs an extra $100 each way since he’s under 18), going to Wyoming to visit grandparents for the week.  I think him being gone for a week will be harder on me than him.  (sniff, sniff) 

DD is of course kicking her heels up with glee....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

nice to have you starting us, Mary.   sounds like a nice Brinkley run. 

Perch, (& Sue) I don't like running with bags of poop either.  they swing.  I was talking to my Sadie just this morning about that very thing but it wasn't too effective.  if your training works, please  share your method!

Karin, glad you're back!  I had been wondering if you were ok.  bears, with babies?  definitely eek.  that almost makes me think warm fuzzy thoughts about my geese.

Hi Sue!  thanks....  I haven't been here quite as much, had sort of a stinky week or 2.    I saw your post the other day, and answered but I think you missed it.  we're playing post tag.  I keep wondering about your hand.     have fun at the Foxwood! 

Nono, hmm. I was running my hills with a taped ankle too.  I'm glad you're ok...  hey you could do those heel drop things.. forget what they're called, while holding the kids.  would be great I think.  Wink

I thought about you as I ended my run this morning... has your fog gone away?

Craneium... I hope hydration solves everything.

Bytll,  how does he sound?     hope he wasn't knocked flat.  ;-)

I had a better run this morning than I have in a couple of weeks.   phew!  Still not quite back on plan, but getting closer.  It was another hilly neighborhood run, I only want to do this once a week right now, but was up too late last night  & didn't have time to drive anywhere.  Such a pretty morning.  5.51 miles, ave.pace 9:57, max was 8:02.  ahr 165.  Aside from one face plant (well, knee/palm plant) on the stoopid uneven sidewalks it was great! 

Mariposai

Have an extra plate ready Holly, I am coming to your house for dinner. Don't worry about your son, he will do just great. We used to send the boys to my country every summer. They would travel across the continent all by themselves from the time they were 11...great experience for them...but much crying time for mama.

Dg, great run today. You are getting stronger my friend.

CNYrunner, great today. Mama bear and two cubs, how fun.

Perch, it is so good to see you running again.

Hi Tramps

Last day of school in town. I am working only a couple of hours, and then back home since I am sure I will have an invasion of kids hanging out at my place. We will be off to Seattle tonight for son’s graduation ceremony tomorrow. I will be off line until Tuesday since I am staying in Seattle for a meeting on Monday.

Go racers goooooo

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Best to have the bears ahead of you instead of you getting in between them, Karin!

Holly, maybe Mary counts the crunches when she's eating her crunchy breakfast cereal; that's the only kind that I do.

Craneium, cramps on a 5-mile run don't sound good at all. If it's a hydration problem, it's a significant one (or are cramps more of an electrolyte issue?).

Rode my 40-mile cycling target today in absolutely ideal weather for either riding or running. Stopped about the midpoint at a diner for an order of french toast, bacon, and coffee to fuel up for the 2nd half. According to my Garmin, I burnt about 2200 calories on this outing, so I guess I still spent more than I took in.

Riding along the path near our fancy Royal Park Hotel, I passed a group of women walking and chatting. They obviously were not from around here, especially with the stylish way they were dressed. They were all slender with dark hair, and as I passed I could tell that they were speaking Italian. No doubt then who they were: Fiat executives' wives whose husbands are in town to take over Chrysler. Ciao!

Good luck this weekend, all you racers out there!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Evan, good luck as you continue to deal with your back issues.  Also, good luck to your husband with his knee.  That sounds a bit serious.  Holly, since your daughter is acting gleeful about her brother going away she must be recovered from yesterdays cough.  I imaginge your son will have a great time and that his sister will miss him but not admit it.  SLO, I hope your daughter is healing well from her appendectomy.  I can't help but think back to when my daughter had hers and played a few minutes in a volleyball match a few days later.  mariposai, congratulations to your son.  He sounds amazing.  It must be in the genes.  CNY, I see a lot of deer while I'm running and don't think anything of it but, if I saw a bear with cubs, I think I'd freak out.

Nice long runs for bike and breger.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly (in a 9 mile run).

This morning, it was about 50° when I started and about 60° when I finished and there was a light breeze.  Since I dressed for the starting temperature, I was overdressed at the end.  I got in 12 miles in a bit over 1:57 for a 9:46 pace and managed negative splits by about a minute.  It felt a tad hard all the way but I just kept trudging along and eventually got done.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey berger, you're talking about a future multi-millionaire there.   Did he get an autograph?

Mini gym triathlon for me.  An hour of fizzy lifting, 6 miles on the TM, and spin cycle class.  It took two dozen paper towels to wipe up the puddle of sweat under my bike.  By the way, why are they called bikes when they only have one wheel?

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice runs today for Brinkley, Tory, Sadie, and Renee!

Byll, your tall DS must have looked like a midget next to that 7'3" guy.

Holly, I sympathize with you about sending your DS away for a week - I just took my DD to her friend's house this morning for their trip to Alaska, and I'm sure gonna miss her. 

Deb, you sure manage a fast pace on those hilly neighborhood runs!  I average 11-12mm on my hilly neighborhood runs, but I have to walk some of the hills.  The uphills are at about 13mm (like Tramps on the treadmill!) and the downhills are 10-ish - can't go fast even on the downhills because of all the rocks and bumps.  Is your neighborhood paved?  Oh - I guess so - you tripped on an uneven sidewalk. Hope your knee and palm are OK.

No run yesterday - it was raining at lunchtime and I had to stop at the grocery after work. I don't mind running in the rain, but don't want to look like a drowned rat at work in the afternoon. Although it would help with cleaning up, as we have no showers at the office.  Today I'll just do an easy, short run at lunch since I have a half marathon tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

OK, here's the thing with your dogs.  You don't have to train them so much as observe them for a few runs.  Check your watch to see how long it takes before they "go."   Renee's a 1/2 mi girl.  So, I have several routes where we'll be by a trashcan right around the 1/2 mi mark.

Also, everytime she started to go, I'd say "bathroom." 

Now, I regularly wow tourists* by coming up towards the designated trashcan, and saying "bathroom" and having my dog stop and do her thing.  Quick pick up, and no running with a bag.

*People are easily amused when they get here, apparently.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!