Masters Running

June's Final Daily, 6.30.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (1 hour on the elliptical + 30 min of weights at the Y)
    Tramps (Hip/knee exercises + core + 3.5 EZ miles)
    Stumpy (3.1 lake loop miles)
    RunnerKSA (3.2 morning miles + 2.1 post-work TM miles)
    BerthaSlayer (8 miles, including 4 w/fartleks)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime, pop-up shower miles + 10 pre-torrential rain evening bike miles)
    Holly (51. morning miles in 63° with different, blister-helping shoes)
    Mariposai (7.23 steady-paced miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min bike ride + 40 min pool run with letters)
    Evanflein (6 EZ miles planned)
    Buehrle (3 round-the-college miles, pre-shower + mass, and Wawa)

Flats (8+ gym miles - too much H&H outside)

Evanflein (6.2 miles in dry, 78° temps)

Mike (10 post-work miles with sore big toe)

Good point about not dozing off, Jlynne. How’d the slime-making go?

Tramps, the TENS unit is under your control, and you can make it as comfortable or as strong as you want. It does help, most of the time.

So, the consensus is that Tet does run barefoot? 

Quite the SB, Tomwhite. I’m also glad you and your buddy didn’t mix shooting and beer.

I’m also always looking for those faster shoes, RunnerKSA. Aren’t we all?

Tet, how can you (and why would you) run barefoot in Yogi slippers? Thanks for the sandals and air fares discussions.

Good luck in the 10K trail race tomorrow, Tammy. Have fun.

I’m glad your blister is healing, Holly.

I’m sorry for your frustrating meetings too, Mariposai. I suppose we all have them now and again.

I hope you got home safely, TC.

Good Shoe Goo tips all around, and interesting shoe-wear discussion. What does Shoe Goo do for you if the midsole in your shoes is shot and there is no more cushioning/flexibility there? Or is that the time to 'repurpose' them (as yard work shoes, in my case)?

Right you are Evanflein - the key when you find good shoes is to stock up on them before they get discontinued or ‘updated’.

Your dad was, indeed, ahead of his time. Buehrle. And you won't realize how young 54 is until you become... Some of the changes are more positive than others, but we should be embracing the process, whatever it brings our way. As Evanflein said, the alternative is much worse.

Mike, that's great news that your friend isn't as bad off as feared! What a relief for him and his family. What's going on with your big toe?

We have 2 families/7 people arriving for the long weekend tomorrow. I'll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen or by the grill. We're expecting lots of H&H for the next couple of days, so we'll probably be at the shore or inside in some AC. 3 of us will be racing the 4 On The Fourth in York, ME on Tuesday. I hope to be in better shape (see below) by then.

I took another morning off today after getting beat up in yesterday's PT session. It's frustrating not knowing the cause of my current right side hip/IT/shin pains, so I'll just keep trying different exercises, stretches, etc. until I get to something that works. Strangest thing is that the times I hurt the least are when I'm working out. So I assume that relative inactivity is causing some strange and unusual and painful tightening up, but that is as far as I can take it so far.

Go get 'em, Subdood!

07/01 SubDood - Afton Trail Race 25k, Afton, MN

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Shoo goo is definitely only a sole wear fix.  I am aggressive about replacing shoes, but the shoe goo protects me a little bit biomechanically as I wear down that edge (so I'm not turning the foot even more).

3.1 this morning. Weather Bug said 0 percent chance of rain.  It was a drizzle when I went out and turned to light rain and then stopped before I could bail.   2 treadmill miles after work to finish out June with 151.1 miles.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--Sounds like a busy weekend for you.  Interesting about your hip/shin pain.  My knee is sort of like that; hurts more later after a run than it does during it.  So is running making it worse or better?

Mike--at least some short-term encouraging news for your friend.  That's good.  Hope the toe's better, too.

RCG--don't complain about the white hair; at least you have some. Some of us are putting on more and more sunscreen up there, if you know what I mean.   (MASH?  Your dad had good taste.)

Early morning MRI on the knee for me and now I need to get work done, so I'm calling it a rest day.  I stopped at Wawa on the way home to fill up the truck and a couple of cans for the lawn tractor.  No donuts or coffee. (I feel like Wawa should be paying us for all this free advertising.)

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

. And you won't realize how young 54 is until you become... Some of the changes are more positive than others, but we should be embracing the process, whatever it brings our way. As Evanflein said, the alternative is much worse.

+1

I lost my sister 3 years ago today, and if anyone embraced the process, it was her. She lived each day to the fullest, and she had 10 affirmations she said every day. One of them was "attitude and gratitude".  Sure miss her...

What exactly is Wawa? Is that a chain? Like KwikTrip or 7-11?  They sure are getting a lot of free advertising here!

Good luck with that house full of guests Jay! What's on the menu?

Results of your MRI Tramps?

How many pairs of running shoes do you think you have right now RunnerKSA?  What's your favorite brand/model?

I ran 5.25 miles this morning. Really muggy and no breeze but I got 'er done. Then 20 minutes of weights and core.  I had my 2 oldest grandsons yesterday. I picked them up from summer school, then we stopped for lunch, went to see Despicable Me 3 at the movies, stopped at a craft store and got the stuff to make slime, came home and made the slime, baked chocolate chip cookies and then played baseball. When their mom picked them up at 6:00 last night, I collapsed! It was a great day though, and the slime turned out great!

Have a great start to the weekend everyone, and good luck to the racers!

WaWa is a chain that started in eastern PA and has spread to other mid-Atlantic states and Florida.  There are a few stores in other states.  It is a much nicer 7-11 type store.  Good made to order sandwiches and breakfast foods (fast food but good) and packaged snack foods that are pretty fresh and have healthy options.  Good selection of TastyKakes and other snack foods.  Good coffee (I'm not a drinker, but I'm told this) and soda machines.  Big cooler selections.  Clean stores.  The recently built stores have gas pumps with good prices.

My son spent plenty of $$$ at the Wawa stores on the UPenn campus while he was in college.  There was always a WaWa gift card in his Christmas stocking.

https://www.wawa.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Cumberland Farms (Cumby) is attempting to be the Wawa of New England.  Not bad, but not quite the same on food (all pre-made).  But at $0.99 for any size coffee it's useful to have around.

Packed up the car for a long weekend at the Maine camp.  We're going to sort of double dip--stay there there through Monday afternoon, then home for Tuesday, when our town puts on a big parade and fireworks show.  They shoot them off over the lake (that i mention from time to time) and we have to walk only a couple hundred yards to be right by the shore and laugh at all the other folks caught in traffic afterwards.

we will see how the big hill is a couple of time and see if i can make it all the way up.  I'm hopeful.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

4 miles today at GMP. Well only three at GMP but the fourth was close enough.

Later I will attempt my pushups.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

evanflein

...Good coffee (I'm not a drinker, but I'm told this)...

Ok, I really like you, RunnerKSA, but I do not understand you. Good coffee is at the heart of any good start to the day, and even later if called on to accompany chocolate. I have one friend who doesn't drink coffee. She's really nice and smart and all that, but I don't understand her. 

Mike, glad to hear your friend is better. What did you do to your toe? (sort of in the "Now What?" category)

Jlynne, I hope I have energy for grandkids when that time comes (in no hurry, btw). Your day sounds totally exhausting. Glad the slime turned out well!

My mom was admitted to the ICU yesterday after spending a lot of time in the ER for a low, irregular heartbeat. She's been feeling weak lately and saw her doc on Monday and had an EKG. Appointment with cardiologist next week (you'd think they'd get her in sooner??), but they kept her overnight for monitoring and observation. i haven't called yet to see how she's doing, didn't want to bother her. My dad was there till after dinner then went home. He sounded so lost on the phone, like he just didn't know what to do. He just turned 90, mom is almost 86. I worry about them and really glad my sister is here (and retired) and can be there to help. We'll check in today and see how she's doing, hopefully she can go home today.

No big plans for the weekend, just staying home and try to get stuff done. It's a constant struggle.

I hope your mom is OK!

I never liked the taste of coffee- not even coffee ice cream.  My morning drink was diet cola, but I'm not supposed to have those due to bone density issues.  I still drink a moderate amount of diet cola, but try to do more tea and iced tea.

....Coffee??......yeah, I cut back to only one-pot a day since I retired.......

before I retired??

ya don't

wanna know

===========

..40-min PoolRun with belt,

hip is bugging me

so

I'm JUST PoolRunning for the next several days

.....Good Running and Safe Driving to Ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

I like coffee.

It was HOT and HUMID...JTWILI.  at 8:30 p.m. 81f feels like 87f with 81% humidity.  The air hung thick as thieves.  It was hard to breath...but I did for 3.1 miles around the workplace.  I was thinking of going out around 7 tonight...it was 87f feels like 98f then.  Glad I waited

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - good luck to your mom, especially if your dad’s there when you can visit.
                          did they go up during the war or after to teach at the UA?
                          Neat to have them retire in Fairbanks, that’s for sure.
                          I bet 99% of their friends went south.
                          Actually, Fairbanks is the reason I have an aversion to coffee I would otherwise like because my mother like it so much in those days.  In fact, I still like the smell of it but, after drinking too much coffee in the morning, when my pilot friend took off from the Fairbanks airport and, a couple of hours later, had to land his Piper on skis on a little unnamed lake along the Yukon river for the inevitable pit stop, there was some engine trouble and we had to spend the next two days, and nights, waiting for parts to be dropped.  Fortunately, the survival gear included down sleeping bags but I somehow came away from it not liking spam that much I used to like on boy scout campouts. Smile
                          You’re so lucky to have your mother almost 35 years longer than I did, . . . and, though I haven’t seen my sister in a dozen years, I’m so lucky to have reconnected with her a couple of years ago in spite of serious tension between her DH and me. In this regard did you know, Jeanne, htat,your sister’s sudden passing helped in the reconnection. We talked for more than an hour today. So sorry for you but thank you so much for me for you sharing it like you did. Don’t stop.
                          ps KSA - you have more shoes than I’ve had in my whole life.
                          I bought four pair* from 1977 until 1990 when I started running barefoot and my sister bought me a pair of laceless, slipper-like, Nike Presta’s for one of early RnR’s when we were in San Diego visiting our father retired down there.  They were comfortable enough for regular wearing but kind of sorry I didn’t run any marathons in them. *(Nike Waffle-stompers, Brooks Vantage, Aididas cross-fit, Saucony somethings).,

Jay - with 40,000 runners in the 12k of the annual Bloomsday, there’s always some goofballs wearing sporting tutu’s, batmans, butterfly wings, etc.   Ever since a couple of years ago when my GS responded to my approval of his “bare feet” out in the yard (that DD doesn’t like him to do) with: “they’re not bear feet, they’re people feet,” I’ve taken the Yogi slippers (reinforced with shoe-goo’ed Vibrams, of course) on cub scout hikes, etc.  I probably enjoyed it more than he and his friends did.  Hmm, I wonder what mariposie really thought about bear feet chasing her butterfly wings.  Unfortunately, or fortunateIy couldn’t catch up.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - good luck to your mom, especially if your dad’s there when you can visit.
                            did they go up during the war or after to teach at the UA?
                            Neat to have them retire in Fairbanks, that’s for sure.
                            I bet 99% of their friends went south.
                            Actually, Fairbanks is the reason I have an aversion to coffee I would otherwise like because my mother like it so much in those days.  In fact, I still like the smell of it but, after drinking too much coffee in the morning, when my pilot friend took off from the Fairbanks airport and, a couple of hours later, had to land his Piper on skis on a little unnamed lake along the Yukon river for the inevitable pit stop, there was some engine trouble and we had to spend the next two days, and nights, waiting for parts to be dropped.  Fortunately, the survival gear included down sleeping bags but I somehow came away from it not liking spam that much I used to like on boy scout camp outs. Smile
                            You’re so lucky to have your mother almost 35 years longer than I did, . . . and, though I haven’t seen my sister in a dozen years, I’m so lucky to have reconnected with her a couple of years ago in spite of serious tension between her DH and me. In this regard did you know, Jeanne, that,your sister’s sudden passing spurred me to reconnect, after all. We talked for more than an hour today. So sorry for you but thank you so much for me for you sharing like you did. Don’t stop.
                            ps KSA - you have more shoes at one time than the five I’ve had in my whole life.
                            I bought four pair* from 1977 until 1990 when I started running barefoot and my sister felt sorry for me and bought me a pair of laceless, slipper-like, Nike Presta’s for one of early RnR’s when we were in San Diego visiting our father retired down there.  They were comfortable enough for regular wearing around but kind of sorry I didn’t run any marathons in them. *(Nike Waffle-stompers, Brooks Vantage, Aididas cross-fit, Saucony somethings)

Jay - with 40,000 runners crowding the 12k of the annual Bloomsday, there’s always some goofballs sporting tutu’s, batmans, butterfly wings, etc.   Ever since a couple of years ago when my GS responded to my approval of his “bare feet” out in the yard (that DD doesn’t like him to do) with: “they’re not bear feet, they’re people feet,” I’ve taken the Yogi slippers (reinforced with shoe-goo’ed Vibrams, of course) on cub scout hikes, etc.  I probably enjoyed it more than he and his friends did.  Hmm, I wonder what mariposie really thought about bear feet chasing her butterfly wings.  Unfortunately, or fortunateIy couldn’t catch up.  :Probably better than when I was a Japanese monk. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I will echo the hopes that your mom is okay.

I don't like to speak or be spoken to until I have had my morning coffee.

No run for me on Friday - about 50 minutes of weights and core instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."