Masters Running

First Full Fall Saturday, 9.22.12 (Read 372 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey I don't smoke! ... er, never mind....

Pardon the lack of formatting, typing from my iPad... Like Opie and LMRRS (yay for both!) I also won my AG at my 5k this morning. Huge honkin' trophy (will post photo later). There's a big championship HM tomorrow so all the speedsters (and the old ones in particular) must've been resting today, because there's no other way I could've scored hardware in a race. Wink Time was 25:29, close to a minute slower than my PR at the airport runway race back in July, but the next best time I've had of all my other races. Biggest perk was that my nephew (14) and another cousin (16) also joined us, the first time in a 5k for the both of them.

Great photos of Erika and Holly!

Congrats Paul and Sister Rose and all the other racers today. And best of luck to Spareribs and everyone else racing tomorrow!

MTA: Here I am with the trophy Smile

Some nice racing this weekend.  Congrats, everyone!  And OM - Can't wait to see that trophy!

I'm in Holly's camp with the trivia questions.  My husband is great at trivia.  I stink at it.

TwoKitty - If you get a hankerin' to make muffins and need someone other than the running group to eat them, let me know.  I'm willing to pay for overnight express delivery! Big grin  (ps - i'm not joking. Wink )

My 20 miles today were so-so.  My legs were tired, but again I had trouble getting nutrition down.  It's a cycle for me, and one I continue to work on.  The other issue I have is almost constant dry mouth/thick saliva (sorry if that's TMI), which means I have to force myself to NOT drink too much.  All I could think of almost the whole run was how good a root beer float sounded!  Ended up with a Mickey D's caramel frappe instead.  It was a pretty good substitute.

A childhood friend of mine has been posting on Facebook some pics of us she found over the last few days.  It's been a hoot looking at them, and has brought back some great memories.

It was Amy's birthday (left w/cat).  We had a blast - scavenger hunt around the neighborhood, talent show, frozen training bras.  What more can a bunch of girls ask for!

Our 8th grade class went to San Francisco for a week.  I'm assuming this is a pic taken on the way TO San Fran as I remember during the first couple of days of the trip getting extremely homesick.  Poor, Mrs. Davis, one of the parent chaperones.  She worked hard to get me over that hump.  Blush

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice going Opie.

Beautiful pictures Ek.

Congrats to Bridget.  Hey Burly, did you ever post the answers to your MNF quiz? I missed it.

Go Serbia!  Spareribs

Here is what I wrote on yesterday's thread:

"Okay.
        I guess my question was not too popular.

So I'll just give the answer and back away from posing trivia questions.

On 21 September, 1970, the Cleveland Browns hosted the New York Jets in the first Monday Night Football game. The Browns won."

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great racing today!  Wow--everybody's taking home hardware!  Congratulations!  Hopefully it will continue, tomorrow! 

Wow, Leslie--you sure were a pretty girl!  And from the few recent pictues I've seen of you, you haven't changed a bit!

Well, after making up excuse after excuse to not get out and run,today, I drug my tired old butt out there and ended up with a pretty good one...umm...run, not butt.  It was cool and windy and I just didn't have any life in me, so I told myself I'd just do an easy progression run.  Start out out at about 7:40 and drop 5 seconds each mile during the 10 mile run...which would mean I'd run my 10th mile in 6:55.  I said, "Okay, Mikey, we'll see how that goes."  (For some reason I call myself Mikey when I talk to myself)  Well, to make a long story short and to spare you all from a mile by mile recap, I hit that 6:55 in the 4th mile and just kept chopping off seconds at each mile.  I really didn't feel that particularly good--my legs felt heavy and tight--but it was fun picking up the speed each mile but still holding back to make sure I would be able continue the progession.  I ran the 10th mile in 6:16 and picked it up for the last .4 miles that was left to get home in a 5:48 pace.  So--10.4 miles in 1:10:49.  Of course when I was done I said, "Nice run, Mikey...nice run."   

Okay--that's it--just wanted to brag about my run.  I'm giving the sermon, tomorrow at Church, so I suppose I should go practice it a little bit.  Or maybe just go to bed.  See ya!

Nice run, Mikey!!

Funny - growing up I never considered myself to be cute or anything, just an average kid trying to get through life.  I had a small group of close friends, but other than that, I could be painfully shy and sensitive, and was a wallflower, although I was "that person" kids would talk to about their problems.  The few people I grew up with and have had the opportunity to reconnect with are often astounded by the total 180 in my personality, how I am today, i.e. no longer shy and standing in the background.  It's a good thing. Smile

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Here is what I wrote on yesterday's thread:

"Okay.
              I guess my question was not too popular.

So I'll just give the answer and back away from posing trivia questions.

On 21 September, 1970, the Cleveland Browns hosted the New York Jets in the first Monday Night Football game. The Browns won."

Here is the question you asked:  Monday Night Football started in what year on this date? Which teams played? Who was the host? And who was the WINNER?

Now who was the freaking host?   Spareribs

evanflein

Great pictures, Leslie! 

Nice run, Mikey! (Wow...)

That''s one helluva trophy for a 5k AG award, OM! Sounds like you've taken "cherry picking" lessons from Econo. And hey, a win is a win, savor it!

We had a freakishly warm day today! Just amazing... got up to 70° and maybe higher in spots. I did some shopping this afternoon and came home to go run kind of late, but it was at least 69° for my run, with a warm wind from the East. Just strange weather, very overcast and kind of dark all day. But, very nice. Ran 7.1 miles nice and easy and nothing like MikeE's run. Came home, changed and started pulling and trimming brush and rose bushes... long, branching sticker bushes have taken over part of the driveway and I wanted them out! Raked some leaves, hauled a few wheelbarrow loads of leaves to the power line (shhhhh), and pulled the hoses to get ready to roll them up. Did some garden cleanup and said I'd quit when DH got home. I started to think he was never going to get home! But he pulled up at about 7 p.m. and I was just rinsing some beets from the garden. Yay! Time to go in and take a shower! My legs and back are gonna feel this tomorrow...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear rosie - you forgot to post why you posted it.

Here is the question you asked:  Monday Night Football started in what year on this date? Which teams played? Who was the host? And who was the WINNER?

Now who was the freaking host?   Spareribs

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I thought when I said, "The Cleveland Browns hosted...."

It was my original intent to ask where the game was held, who played and who won.

Ribs chimed in with "the hosts" as in who provided the color commentary. I have no answer and bow to his expertise. I was 7 years old in 1970 and probably did not watch the game because it was played in Cleveland. I think they would not have broadcast it there?  Unsure.

And Tet, I posed the question because it was in the newspaper "on this date" column.

And I like the Cleveland Browns.

And I like to agitate Spareribs. 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And I like the Cleveland Browns.

And I like to agitate Spareribs. 

All admirable traits.  Although liking the Browns is probably a lot more trying.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.