Masters Running

Friendly Friday (Read 400 times)

King of PhotoShop

Hello again all.  Got home last night from Pittsburgh and ran an easy 5 miles with my RP this morning, then did a flex workout at the Y.

Today I have some administrative clean-up stuff to do from the trip, then taking the afternoon off. We're having spectacular weather here in N. TX, so I'm going to find something to do.

Congrats to Roach and the Tigers for their amazing sweep of the Yankees, who set a MLB all-time record with the lowest batting average ever for post-season play.  Tigers have some pretty good arms on that team.

This Sunday the Saint, SpareTire, Prime Rib, Riblet, my RP and I are going to White Rock Lake and this time doing an 11-miler.  The family that runs together...

The Dallas Marathon race director has invited me to go on a two-hour drive over the Marathon course next Saturday to show it off and get my feedback. Also invited on the ride is one of the fastest young runners in the Metroplex, so they'll have an old, slow guy and a young fast one.  I had to turn down the offer as I have a race that morning.   Spareribs

..starr//.......when your mom

gets to the Thyroid Replacement part it gets easier,,,,,,,,they'll mess around with the dose til

they get it right

then

she'll feel peppy-er, lose weight, and just Feel Better.

ps,,,,,,,be sure she takes it on an empty stomach in the mornings

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Barbara, I didn't know (or maybe I didn't remember?) that you had Graves disease. My DH was diagnosed around age 40 with that also (so 18 yrs ago and did the radioactive iodine treatment - which he had to do twice because it started growing back after the 1st one, so they increased the levels and did it again). After several years of synthroid and never feeling right on it, despite the fact that his blood panel showed he was at a level he should be at, he switched to a naturopath and started using Armour thyroid. within about 2 mos he felt like a new person and has now been on Armour for 10 yrs or so with no problems. I never realized just how significant the thyroid gland was til I started doing a ton of online research and reading on it.

DS had a great end of the season District Meet yesterday. He really enjoyed his first season of XC. Finished the meet with 1st place for his school, 4th in his AG, and 11th OA with a time of 11:37. Not his PR but this course has some challenging hills, so his time was really good. Last time he competed at this course his time was 13:05, so quite an improvement, although it wasn't nearly as warm as last time so that helped also.

Was planning a RAL but just got word we are closing our office an hour early today, so I think I'll use that hour at the end of my work day to get in my run.  Long run either Saturday or Sunday. Will have to see which day looks to be less rain.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Tammy

aka FlyingFinn

Good afternoon everyone.

Congrats to DS, Tammy. It will be fun to watch him progress in his running.

6 miles of hills, 62 and sunny, lots of pretty cirrus clouds in the sky. The maples and sassafrass are still beautifully colored while the blanket of leaves on the ground thickens.

Looking forward to DH's return from a business trip today and a quiet evening at home. We'll have a visit from the boyz sometime this weekend, hopefully Sunday as the weather that day looks ideal for leaf pile jumping.

Enjoy the gifts of the day and a good weekend!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Hey, I retired a month ago, so every day is like a Saturday.Smile

I've found that many here do not appreciate the humor. We'd best keep it among us retired folks!

Dave59, I will actually be on a literal "marathon raking session" on Sunday. I'm working at the club's water stop at the Detroit Marathon, and one of the chores that I often end up with (after the slackers have already left!!) is raking up and bagging 1000s of cups for about a half mile (it seems) past the end of our area. If you've ever worked at one of these in a big event (20,000+ entrants), then you know what I'm talking about (also regarding the slacker volunteers that get there after the hours of setup are done, hand out drinks and make a lot of noise, then leave before the cleanup).

Ran 4 miles this morning with an old friend who hasn't been running much this year. We had a lot to catch up on and the 4 miles went by almost too quick to get everything in.

Have a good weekend everyone! Our water stop is at the 11-mile mark in case anyone's doing the full or half marathon.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Congrats to Roach and the Tigers for their amazing sweep of the Yankees, who set a MLB all-time record with the lowest batting average ever for post-season play.  Tigers have some pretty good arms on that team.

Thanks for the shout-out. We're certainly all geeked around here. I just wish we won't have to play the Cards again -- that would make 3 out of the last 4 times we've been in the series (1968, 2006, 2012).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Dave59, I will actually be on a literal "marathon raking session"

Big grin

Put some trash cans down the road from your station.  I like to see if I can land my empty cup in a trash can.   (Not that I'll be there to try it.)

evanflein

This morning I was thinking of my friend San Souci , who is also known as "She Who Hates The Wind"... 3 miles in the windy rainy PNW.

Hmmm, I always thought that was Meg who said that. SS seems to be able to just about fly in any conditions! Gordon, it is really good to see you back at it and posting again.

FO, Roch is right! Keep it to yourself! (grrrrr) But then again, congrats are in order. I hadn't heard the news.

This has been a busy week with out-of-town meetings (2 days), snow, lots of work to do both at home and office... Whew. I'm very glad it's Friday. I haven't run since last Sunday, and can really relate to Mary's comment the other day about the ever-expanding-rear-end... *sigh* Desk jobs are hard. I've been going to the gym with DH most days though, and got a good workout in at the hotel fitness room on Wednesday, but it's not enough to stave off the creeping pounds. Bleh. I suppose I could try something radical like not eat so damn much, but really.... no need to get all extreme, right? Roll eyes

I did bring outdoor running stuff to RAL, but it's going to be a bit late since the forecast high of 28° is still 12 degrees away (only 16° now at mid-day). So... working thru lunch and will head out late afternoon. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer then. I'm definitely not in colder-weather running mode yet.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Tammy!  Yep, finding the right thyroid medicine is the key to wellness for those of us with Graves' Disease. Synthroid is my best friend. I take it at 0445 in the morning. I feel great.

Thanks tomwhite!

Good Luck to MamaStarr! 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

I suppose I could try something radical like not eat so damn much, but really.... no need to get all extreme, right? Roll eyes

Big grin

I've thought about the same thing, even going so far as debating the full stoppage of wine and beer....(shudder)...and yes, even ice cream....thankfully I gave up such crazy ideas....Big grin

Tammy - way to go for your DS!

No run for me today, but 35-40 minutes of weights and core.  Working a little harder at this now...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You are probably right about Meg saying that, but I thought San Souci shed some thoughts on wind as well... It's good to be back running again, I would like to shed 40 more pounds before springtime and the race season starting...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Bushrat Runner

Erika, I can relate. I've been having trouble getting runs in regularly and I've been home! But I did sneak out for 9 mid-day today. Hopefully that will get me started to work off the 8 lbs I've picked up in the past two months...like you say, not wanting to get all extreme and slow down the eating end...(probably I will have to though...)

TammyinGP

LOL Erika! yeah, no need to take such extreme measures. glad you have a good head on your shoulders.

Went to the track after work. got in 4 miles. The plan was just an easy run since i haven't since sunday, but there is something about that track that makes you think you are like this track athlete or something. Ran a 9.19, 9.30, then decided I was warmed up, so maybe I could go a little faster. then ran a 8.51 and what the heck, let's go faster, so final mile was 8.06 with the last 400m of that being a 1:53.

maybe I should go to the track more often. that was fun!

DS at the grandparents tonight, so waiting for DH to put stuff away in his workshop then we are going out for dinner and grocery shopping. yeah, we're exciting like that.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

DS had a great end of the season District Meet yesterday. He really enjoyed his first season of XC. Finished the meet with 1st place for his school, 4th in his AG, and 11th OA with a time of 11:37. Not his PR but this course has some challenging hills, so his time was really good. Last time he competed at this course his time was 13:05, so quite an improvement, although it wasn't nearly as warm as last time so that helped also.

That's really cool, Tammy.  It's going to be fun watching that kid over the next few years.  Since this is Ryan's last year in cross country, I hope you don't mind if I just think of David as one of my own.

Tomorrow is the NSIC Cross Country Championships.  Ryan was 2nd last year in this meet.  He hasn't been running quite as well, this year though, for some reason.  Last year he loved his team and was having a great time--this year, he's just not feeling like part of the team.  I've heard some of the things--and of course I only hear his side of it--but I wouldn't really like being around the team too much either.  I feel bad for him because it's always been important to him that he likes his teammates.  Oh well--we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Okay--that's all I've got. 

TammyinGP

That's really cool, Tammy.  It's going to be fun watching that kid over the next few years.  Since this is Ryan's last year in cross country, I hope you don't mind if I just think of David as one of my own.

LOL. not at all Mike! He'll like that he has a following.

good luck to Ryan. That's too bad he's feeling a disconnect with the team and especially on his last year. Hope he just gives it all he's got for his personal satisfaction and accomplishment even if he's not in it wholeheartedly for the team. 

David has played many sports, so I've been around the basketball crowd, the football crowd, the soccer crowd, etc. and I must say that the running crowd, including parents, don't even compare to those other sports. There is just a different level of comraderie, fellowship, support, etc. that I haven't witnessed in the other sports - both amongst the teammates but also from all the parents towards ALL the kids, not just their own. David senses it also and I think that is another factor that has really attracted him to the sport. It's unfortunate that Ryan's not feeling that from his team this year.  

Tammy