Masters Running

Saturday, December 12th Daylies .... (Read 377 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Did I spell Daylies right??   It just doesnt' look right ......

I had a date with my neighbor for a 6 a.m. run this morning.   Our first run out in the snow, with our yaktrax and layers of clothing!   I forgot how long it takes to get ready and how hard it is to run in that soft stuff.   I finally had to take a couple of walk breaks, but all in all we enjoyed 5.5 miles together yakking all the way ....  Big grin

i think i`ll have to wear my thongs if I go running with perch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find this a bit disturbing and glad I didn't read it before going to bed last night ..... Big grin

SteveP - I hope all is well with your FIL.  How old is he?

My SIL called yesterday, she got a call at 4 a.m. saying her brother had a stroke ..... he is only 42 and it seemingly good health.   I know the stroke affected his speech and he was having an MRI late last night.  

Wonder how Byll is enjoying our 15 degree weather??

Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Nono, are you stuck behind a piece of wallpaper?

Ha , not for a few more minutes!

Death in the family  -- my sister's FIL -- meant squeezing in 3 mi on the treadmill yesterday and then a 5 hr round trip to the viewing last night.  On top of that, it's been a busy week for my daughter.  She had her first exhibition swim meet on Thursday night,  and her last art class of the calendar year earlier in the day. 

Today is crush day -- decorate outside, finish the wallpapering, and pack for NYC!  Yep, yesterday afternoon, Bayside found out he has a breakfast meeting in NYC on Monday -- so he invited us along.  He booked Renee into her boarding kennel, and we're going to be off!  On the way home, we'll go to Longwood Gardens (ok, so we're going to make a triangle trip) and take my Mom out to dinner for her birthday, which was last week.

I'm so excited to be able to get to go to NYC to get some art supplies for my dd.  We have a lot of projects starting in January for which we can stock up!!  As a math geek, I never thought I'd be as excited about art supplies as I am. 

{{{Mary's SIL}}}  Mary, I hope everything turns out OK for her brother.  42 is really young!  My Mom lost her speech and her right side, and has come completely back. (It took her about a year, and she was 81 and lost my Dad 3 months into recovery).   I will hope and pray for a full recovery for him. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

http://www.cornwallcam.co.uk/archive/DayLilies060703.jpg

sorry, not smart enough to post the actual picture

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Here is the picture you were trying to post on today's daily Smile

6 miles with the running club and others to support the Frederick Rescue Mission -- the yearly Jingle Bell Run through Frederick.  At the end the mission fed us and gave tours -- we didn't stay for the tour -- too much stuff to do today, but they do good work feeding the local homeless.  I guess there are about 200 folks fed every day.

6.1 miles, 1:00:45, 9:56/mi, AHR 126 (61% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

How cool is this - Mary, Nono, Evryday and Lou all starting the daily! It's great to hear from you all.

Mary - you were braver than me this morning. it was -3° when I got up at 5:30. My schedule called for 12 miles today and I didn't think I could handle that distance in such cold temps so I went to the Y. But I also forgot how much I HATE doing long runs on treadmills. I only made it 9 before I couldn't take any more. Why is it so much more difficult to run on a treadmill? I kept trying to imagine where I'd be on my route if I was running outside, but the televisions were on: 1. an infomercial for vacuum cleaners, 2. an ESPN channel with guys hunting bears and 3. Fox news with even more up-to-date coverage on the Tiger Woods drama. So I hopped off the treadmill and did 5 miles on the bike.

Good wishes and prayers to your SIL's brother Mary. I hope he's doing well.

Nono - have fun in NYC! Are you going to take the kids skating at Rockefeller Center? What do you have planned for your time there? It sounds like your daughter is a budding artist - hope you keep encouraging her because that's really neat.

Hi Lou! What's brewing these days, and how's baby Nate? How about a few Nate/Santa pictures?  Where's PDR been lately? Nice Jingle Bell run this morning.

Walt - your table is beautiful! Last order to fill before Christmas?

Holly - take care of your shoulder. Hope all is peaceful at home. I've been laughing at all the posts about messy kids. Been there, done that... Now my kids have their own houses to trash.

I'm planning on doing a little holiday baking today. Anyone have a good recipe to share?

Good morning Masters,

To celebrate the beautiful weather I changed my Avatar

9F this morning but sunny & no wind (yeah) 5 miles around the neighborhood w/DW

First run outside this week with the crazy weather, I won't run outside in the dark when it's so windy, to many sticks & other debris in the road.

I've actually learned to like the treadmill Never thought I'd say that

I love being outside but in crazy weather I feel like I get a better quality run on the treadmill and I've never tripped or slipped.

Mary, sorry to hear about SIL's DB42 with a stroke oh my, praying for his recovery.

Jlynne I don't have any receipes but I'm an experienced taste tester

Enjoy!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Hey, how'd he get in here?

Love the table, Walt.  You're inspiring me.

Great run for you yesterday, Perch.

Mary, some brave early-morning snow-running today!

Nice charity run, Lou.

Carolyn, did you ever get a response to your question about whatever happened to Ribs?

Sounds like a lot of folks are busy--and a little frazzled--these days.  Must be the holiday season.

A little 3-mile leg-stretcher for me today on a day that would be a great race day--cool, sunny.  Unfortunately, I'm supposed to run a local 1/2 tomorrow but the weather is looking just horrible: 32F and rain, which means ice.  Not even sure I'll be able to get there if the roads are really bad.  (And I wonder how many volunteers will make it?)  This race has had great weather for the last three years so I suppose we're about due.   I'm still clinging to hope that it'll either warm up a degree or two or hold off until a little later.  Just plain rain would be a big improvement! 

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. not only the long time to bundle, but the WEIGHT!!

21° this morning..

1 tee, 2 long sleeve tees, tights, shorts, glove liners, gloves, hat, socks and shoes...

all for 2 miles in 20:29 (10:14 pace, AHR 155) with Tory and Sadie.

Took longer to get ready than run...

I didn't see that thong comment either... hope it was Tet feet thongs

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Quicl house keeping tip...Having a dog means you never have to vacuum you sheets again....

Also, while the water in the toilet bowl is still blue, use it to clean your bathroom mirrors. It may not look pretty, but the grems are dead.

Off to see FIL

SteveP

Hi Lou! What's brewing these days, and how's baby Nate? How about a few Nate/Santa pictures?  Where's PDR been lately? Nice Jingle Bell run this morning.

Actually I got the name wrong -- it was the Reindeer Run.  But of course that doesn't matter.

Funny you should ask about brewing -- I'm kegging the english pale ale I brewed two weeks ago, and the czech pilsner brewed four weeks ago today.  The pils has another couple weeks of lagering before it's ready.

We haven't seen baby Nate since the last pics, but he'll be here with his parents over christmas week, so there should be some more pictures then.

Thanks for asking Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Walt, your table looks great.  jlynne, I love the Will picture and am glad to hear he's doing well.  hopeful, it's good to hear your mom is making progress.  holly, I hope your shoulder is doing better.  steve, I hope your father in law is doing better.  hopeful, sorry to hear about your sister in law's brother.  nono, that's sad about your sister's father in law.  It does sound like you've got a neat trip to New York planned.

Nice long runs for CNY (in howling wind) and perch (on trails with picture for evidence).

This morning, it was about 10° and  calm but I was concerned about ice.  Therefore, I was not as tough as hopeful and did 8 miles on the TM at 6.1 mph (9:50 pace).

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

perch - beautiful pic of your trail run yesterday

mary - i havent run in my yaktrax yet -  feel it coming soon tho -nice run today!!  hope your sil's brother recovers ok

nono - sorry to hear about the death in your family

treadmill for me today too - 6 mile progression with speed starting at 6.0 and ending at 7.0  then put in another .5 miles doing incline walking lunges --- the treadmills at the gym i go to all have their own tv's so you can watch any channel you want

hope to make to my running group jingle bell run tomorrow -- hosted a one of our member's victorian home 5 mile easy COSTUMED run, then christmas caroling followed up with a potluck breakfast back at the house - only problem is tonight is my work holiday party and i hope i can get up to make it there for 8:30!!

have a great Saturday friends!!

denise

Renee the dog

Nono - have fun in NYC! Are you going to take the kids skating at Rockefeller Center? What do you have planned for your time there? It sounds like your daughter is a budding artist - hope you keep encouraging her because that's really neat.

Well, we'll only be there for 24 hrs., and we're terrible skaters, so I think we'll just watch!  We're planning on hitting the art store in Union Square Sunday afternoon, then heading to one of our favorite restaurants down in Tribeca for an early dinner.  Afterwards, we're planning on having the rain stop, , and working out way uptown visiting the major Christmas window displays.  So I guess that would be Macys, then Lord & Taylors, Saks and Bergdorfs before heading east to finish up at Bloomingdales.   I'm thinking Barney's style of windows wouldn't sit well with my d, so we'll skip them.  She does not find snarky, tongue-in-cheek style of humor funny.   How she puts up with me remains a mystery. 

Our library has a copy of a book called "Christmas in the City" which is about a pair of mice who live in the tree that gets chosen as the Rockefeller tree.  In addition to visiting the window displays, they go to Central Park, St. Patrick's, etc. I'm planning on us basically retracing the steps of the book. 

As for encouraging my kids, I hope I continue to keep doing so too!  So far, she's very quick and diligent with her studies, so it is leaving me time to add in more than just the 3Rs to our curriculum. 

OK, almost done wallpapering (just typing to you guys while putting the kids down for a nap).  Renee and I are probably not getting out to run until at least dusk, unfortunately...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Walt,

I envy your talent. I would love to have a shop like yours. I hope you made some good $$$ for your efforts. Now if you could get another dozen or so orders......

7 miles in the sun and 30 degree weather after work today. It was supposed to be 3 miles but I take advantage of nice weather whenever I can this time of year. Tommorrow is supposed to be rainy and 30s so I bet I will be glad I will only have 3 to do in that mess.

Off to get some carpet laid. after that just trim and my basement project will finally be complete. Oh and a light fixture that DW and I still have to come to an agreement on. Maybe I'll let her win this one if for nothing else just to get it done.   also a happy wife almost always makes for a happy husband.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Hey, we had visitors this morning! Here's reason #2 why I don't run in the dark around here...

(reason #1 is I can't drag my sorry butt out of bed earlier than I already do)

Heading back to see momma, who is munching old leaves in a pile off the driveway (under the snow)

I sure hope all the family members who are having trouble will recover. Mary, 42 seems so awfully young for a stroke, but sometimes odd things happen. 

Not sure what I'll do today... DS1 and I are home alone while DH and DS2 are in Anchorage for soccer training. I usually take this opportunity to tear apart a section of the house that's driving me nuts... today I straightened up a big pile of papers and "stuff" on the kitchen counter where DH just drops things and leaves them. Most of it went into the recycle box. How hard was that?? Now to tackle the pile of "stuff" on his side of the bed. I wonder what I'll find...?

Will head to the gym today, not sure about a run but it would be easy for more miles than degrees with the temps around -10 to -15 today.