Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - April (Read 41 times)

Great pics arla!

Thanks for sharing your half M training story Jim.  Sounds a bit like mine and makes me feel a little more comfortable.  I plan to have one 12 miler before the race.  I don't foresee any difficulties.  My strength is that I know my limitations!   Plus, I want to feel good!

Leslie, I pity the fool that tries to start trouble with you.  They just don't know who they're dealing with.  I trust you'll be safe, but as always, stay vigilant.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Big grin

Let's just say, he/she would probably run away with many many injuries.  I wouldn't go down without a HUGE fight.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - hard to believe that's just hours before a snowstorm. Hope Lynda figures out the hip issues, I have a friend who can't seem to shake the same thing, but I don't think she's looked into getting any treatment.

Leslie - yikes...maybe you need to find another running buddy, or how about getting Shorty to tag along on a bicycle? A lot of the high school kids who are top runners have their parents cycle along with them. Might need a mountain bike in your case.

ev - sounds like you're feeling good and you're not new to this, you're going to have a great time!

Flying to Boston tomorrow but this time going as a spectator to watch my fast friends run in IRCs! 40s at the start, mid-50s for the highs at the finish, and a gentle tailwind have been predicted, expect some fast times! Sure wish I'd taken the deferment last year instead of dealing with 87 and humid. Also going to a Red Sox game, have never been to Fenway.

Will try to squeeze in a 12er today before packing, already behind the bunny with all the traveling and general laziness.

Ex runner

Have fun in Boston, Arla, and good luck to your fast friends!

Shorty ride along on a bike.  Hahahahahah . . . eh hem.  Sorry 'bout that.  Maybe ride along in the car. Joking

Had a great 6-mile tempo run yesterday morning . . . then went to the PT.  Mild Achilles tendinitis.  No running until at least Monday, lots of icing, specific stretching, and self-calf massaging.  I also go back tomorrow and MWF of next week for deep tissue massage and some ultrasound heat thing that I can't remember what it is. Black eye  She also gave me lifts for my running shoes when I start running again.

And since I'm not suppose to do anything that puts any kind of stress on the ATs, I can't use my TRX right now.  So last night when I got home, I pulled out a DVD and resistance band Karen gave me about a year or so ago and I've never used.  Boy howdy!  Some of those moves were hard!  Will continue with the resistance workouts until clear for TRXing.

Will also go Saturday for some - UGH! - pool running in place of a planned 18-mile trail run.  UGH!!  Any bets on whether I can last more than hour?  Doubtful.  Very, very doubtful.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Instructions from PT today - stay off the feet as much as possible this weekend, don't pool run, ice, ice, ice and stretch, stretch, stretch.  No pool running 'cause they taped up my calves with kinesio tape and excess soaking will make it peel off faster.

So no pool running - oh . . . boo . . . hoo . . . . .

Sitting around on my rear end all weekend - I can stand doing that once in awhile.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Rse

Hi Everyone,

I'm new.

If you have room for another, I'll join in Smile

Fran

Welcome, Fran!  There's always room for another.  We're a little on the slow side lately, but we're a great group of folks.

As for me - It's only been 1 1/2 days, and I'm already tired of sitting, icing, stretching, sitting, icing, stretching - rinse and repeat over and over and over.  Although, the ATs were a great excuse to were an old pair of running shoes to church!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome Fran--plenty of space here and new blood is always wlecome.  They let me in after all.

I ran the Ukrop's 10K Saturday while visiting DW's cousin.  Surprised myself greatly with a 57:06 (Garmin said 56:59, but I stopped for a few seconds to wave at DW on the return leg).  Running my age was a dream, and after my latest over 6 miel run, not expected.  I wanted to run 9:30 pace the whole way, so I could break an hour this year, but every time I checked, the pace was going down and I was feeling fine.  so I just let it go Smile  Negative mile splits almost the whole way and 7's to cross the line!  Can you tell I'm excited?  I was even less than 2x the winning time.  This is a BIG race, so I finished 7377th out of 32, 226, which is a little higher than normal, but there were a LOT of walkers.  The first wave started at 8:30 and the last at 10:00.  (I left at 8:49, so got a chance to watch the elites go by and then head to the the start.)

The weather was absolutely perfect. low 50's with only a light breeze. I can only hope that the boston folks get as good.

Just under 11 miles this morning in Richmond.  In Leslie's honor I went for the bike trails along the James River and ended up spending just about as long in time as I would have for 15-16  I was supposed to do.  I had a great time doing it, but the majority of the trails had Expert at the start and they were, how you would say, challenging?  Very pretty scenery, friendly bikers and runners and ending up with a 17 mile weekend anyway.  Climbs are one thing, but how you made some of the turns on the downhills seemed sort of impossible.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie- oh no, not even pool running? What the heck? Bicycling??? Hope this resolves soon!

Stumpy- nice racing, sir. Had to feel great that it was the right time to let 'er rip.

Welcome, Fran! What have you been up to? Newbie runner or just new around here?

Gorgeous day in Boston, about to head over to thefinish, very cool experience to be a spectator! Sue claims to be undertrained and Sara hurt herself shoveling snow (she lives in South Dakota), so I guess they'll *only* run 3:30 ... Must be nice!

Ex runner

Welcome to the group, Fran.  I took a look at your training log.  I like the gradual buildup....that's smart.  Do you have a targeted HM for the fall?  What's MAF?

Arla, hope the Boston weekend went well.  Who won the game?

Leslie....so sorry about the forced inactivity.  You say you've been sitting around on your rear, but can stand doing that.  I knew you were quite talented, but how does that happen?  I've got to see that!!

Stumpy, nice work on the 10K!  Sounds like a great trail run for you.

My scheduled 12er turned into a challenging 9er yestrday.  It was hot, 80+F...so that's my excuse.

Mtn.....I miss Mtn....

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Not the best running week for me, 15 measly miles, mostly due to lack of heart to face winter conditions all week. Snow and low teens several mornings at run time, ah spring on the central plains. Lynda and I both headed out for long runs yesterday and both turned after about a mile with steady winds out of the nw  at 37 with gusts to 56, just about take you off your feet. We tried to make it up with farmer cross training. We pulled a semi up for a windbreak and dug 4 deep holes for piers to mount a 12,000 gallon double wall fuel tank and mixing and dumping 950 pounds of pre-mix concrete (Sack-Crete), Looks like more snowy weather this week so going to have to cowboy up and get out there. If we get warming our planting run will start next week.

Arla have a great time at Boston, always a bit hard for me to be a spectator at events I used to participate in whether rodeo or races......

Stumpy great racing sir! Has to feel good to accomplish that with all the cautions issued by the heart doc recently..

Welcome Fran, tell us your story!

Leslie, hope the old AT straightens up. Saw they gave you heel lifts, make sure they are not spongy, they need to be hard to keep from stretching the at more on each footstrike or that was my experience. Jonathan gave me a trigger point kit that seemed to help. If you have a 3 pound dumbbell with round ends and a handle that is fatter in the center than at the edges,it is just about like the tp roller. basically roll the tendon on the weight handle while tracing circles with your toes both clockwise and counter. Roll one side of the tendon on the handle then the other. your foot should angle to the fatter side of the handle.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5uJpVTpusM  Seemed to help me.

Ev with our spastic spring plains weather, freezing one day and 80 the next it is hard to acclimate to either. Talk to mtn occasionally on FB                                                                                                                            .

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

OMG.

Arla and others are at Boston.

Praying for them all.

What a world we live in.

Top 'O the World!

Sad following horrible news from the Boston Marathon finish line!

Nobody's heard from Arla & her friend yet that I know of

time on the finish clock at detonation was 4:09:??

(sorry I've been awol, Ev - catch up soon)

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Does anybody have a phone # for Arla?? txt her if you do pls

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Rse

Leslie - I hope you recover soon

Stumpy - great job running your age and I like those negative splits

arlahile - I'm a beginner-again.  I have a 3-year graph down on my training log which shows how many times I've tried to begin-again.  I have the hardest time getting past the 2 months mark, but I'm here now and I think I'll stay with it this time.

evryday - Thanks for looking at my log.  I'm going to do a gradual build-up until fall and see where there is an HM event to enter to do as a Long-Run just for fun.   Good job yourself on the 9er.  80+ is a good excuse for anything for sure.

r2farm - wow that's some weather. You sure sound busy.

As for me, I did my :30 wog today. I was out on the path when the news broke so I'm just hearing about it now.I hope everyone checks in as safe soon

...very sad...

Fran