Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - April (Read 41 times)

Top 'O the World!

Finally found a post indicating that Arla & her group are all okay!! Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thankful to hear--I think Arla was the last of the RA crew I hadn't heard about.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

So glad Arla is OK!  I thought of all of you when I heard the news today, so just wanted to check in.  I need to get back here more often.  Fran, this is a great group of people, and you have landed in a great "place".

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Finally found a post indicating that Arla & her group are all okay!! Smile

Whew, oh good.

What an awful day.......

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Great news for Arla.

Big relief. A lot of other RAer's coming up as ok but the injury count in Boston keeps rising.

Thank goodness!  I've been so worried.  The news reports are just horrendous.  But as always when this country is hit by tragedy, we come together and get stronger.  My heart goes out to all the people injured or killed and their families, as well as those who responded to help - regular folks and first responders.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So, so glad that no one that I know has been injured, but so, so pissed that someone has done this to innocent people out enjoying themselves.

Tough trip back from Richmond.  As we were waiting to get on our plane about 3:30, I heard someone say that there had been an explosion at the Marathon.  Spent the next while trying to get infomation on all the RA folks on my phone.  We flew on Jet Blue, so spent the next couple of hours watching the horrible news and worrying.  Thought we were going to end up in Providence when the pilot announced that there was a hold on flights into Boston (but not telling us why).

I'm supposed to fly out to NC tomorrow--I imagine Logan will NOT be easy to navigate.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

I still don't see that we've heard FROM her, just the post OF them that they're okay....would be nice for her to check in Wink

Speaking of checking in.....HOWDY EVRYBODY!!!! Smile

I really need to do that & try to get caught up a bit. I've been running. not training per se, but running - as close to evryday as I can - not long, not fast just getting out there. My calendar, as always, remains pretty full but that is no excuse for not staying in touch Blush I'm sorry, I just haven't been in any of these boards much for a few months.  Some postings on fb....

Will try to write more later when I have more time.....

Take Care & Have an awesome Spring week evryone!!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

I pmed Arla earlier yesterday, Just to confirm she is OK as she responded later on last night saying she was unable to get phone service until then.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks, Jim.  I cannot imagine . . . just cannot imagine.  Denise on the Daily had many family members within visual of the two bombs going off, but thank God they are all safe and sound.  I believe we are very lucky in our group of folks here on RA that no one, no family member was injured or killed.

Still praying for all those who are suffering and will be suffering for a long time to come.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for your thoughts, yes phone service was down yesterday plus my phone died and our hotel was evacuated so we couldn't go back. The people of Boston are the best. Feeling very sad today.

Ex runner

jfa

Hang in there Arla. We're all so happy to hear that you're not hurt ,physically that is.

Of course this brings the folks around here back to 9/11. There's no easy answer on how to get through it.

I was so relieved to hear you and your friends were okay, Arla.  You were the last ones we hadn't heard from.  Skip found out through Marathon Maniacs that you were okay and then passed on to me your friend, Susanne's, name.  From there I found her on FB and her post. . . . then I could breath.

MTA: Got out for 3 slow miles at the very windy Arcata Marsh this evening.  My first run in a week.  The ATs felt pretty good, only issue was some burning in the left heel.  Wondering if that is due to the inserts, so will talk to the PT about it tomorrow.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

That's some stealth work, Leslie!

Sarah finished in 3:30, found her hub and cleared the area. However, Sue's clock time was only one minute and 30 sec before the bombs. It seemed more like 5 minutes, but whatever. I was in the grandstands with her elderly parents but we had moved to about a block and a half away from the finish, so it could have been worse on a personal level. We found Sue but like I said our hotel was evacuated. It was a long night.

Tuesday our hotel was allowing people in to grab their stuff. We got to Logan relatively uneventfully, but American cancelled all of their flights in the US for several hours, including ours. So, we all went back to town. In a way, this was a good thing. We attended a service at a church near the finish line, afterwords the service spilled out onto the Boston Common area for a candlelight vigil around a big pond. It was a lovely event. Everywhere around the Back Bay area last night, people were walking around, laying down flowers along the perimeter of the finish line area, leaving notes, and just standing and contemplating the scene. There was still a huge police and military presence, but they were all being very gentle and kind with this sad crowd of locals.

Fast forward to today, we land in Fresno and everyone's just all happy and going along with their lives. I understand. Boston is far away. It was just another one of those marathon things (how far IS that, anyway?). It's a hard transition to make.

Ex runner

jfa

Thanks for sharing that with us Arla. There's so many emotions involved. People do tend to compartmentalize things and though the whole country feels for the people who were at Boston,you being there amplifies it for you. It's tough. I can try to compare it to what happened around here on 9/11. Others will compare it to other tragedies that have happened closer to home. It's just human nature I think. Having been in NY on 9/11, the only advice I can give is to talk about it as much as you can. Whether it be with the friends that you were there with, this Runningahead community, or friends and family, try to get the emotions out. I think we as runners have an advantage in that running itself is very meditative, that's got to help. Time will soften, but not eliminate, some of the sadness you're feeling now.

So I have been a lurker lately. Taking it easy on the running. Playing racquetball has been a lot of fun but I only get a fraction of the benefits that I get from regular running. Time is now for starting my training for NYC this fall. Actually, I was leaning on a plan(last year)  that had the NYC Marathon (last year's) as possibly being my last full marathon. Well, hurricane Sandy messed that all up. I had also kind of given up on the idea that I would ever be fast enough to qualify for Boston, but the events of Monday have messed that all up as well. So, I have rededicated myself to that goal. I'm going to run Boston even if it takes me 30 years to get there. Training started in earnest last night. Nice 4 spot on Ocean Ave where the new boardwalk is being constructed.

Feels good to be back.