Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - April (Read 41 times)

flatland mountaineer

Fast forward to today, we land in Fresno and everyone's just all happy and going along with their lives. I understand. Boston is far away. It was just another one of those marathon things (how far IS that, anyway?). It's a hard transition to make.

I hear you Arla. Even though I'll never make Boston I still consider it something quite special in "my sport". We were in one of the closer "big towns" to get farm parts, and I was fretting and worrying about the farm and how I was going to get my work done with the weather etc, then glanced at the news on my phone, and the world stopped. I immediately went about trying to locate "my people" on my Ipad. It let the wind out of my sails. The next morn I did a little 2.62 miler in tribute, I had to do something. My friend Jonathan I think says it very well. He was 50 feet from the blast area and decided to catch an earlier flight and was boarding when the blast occurred.

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-columns/once-each-spring#.UW9W9F7DZ6o.facebook

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - haven't heard an update on the AT...?

Hi to everyone else...

Joe - thanks. Getting back to work today was a big help, and of course working with "kids" in their late teens and early 20s (I know they're adults, but...)  - yeah, always puts a smile on my face, they're so full of life!  I was thinking that after 9/11 I felt super crummy, and this is very similar. 9/11 was far away from me, but it was so huge I guess that's the difference.

So....what's your BQ time Joe? One thing against you is that you don't exactly have the skinny little runner guy build (although you look a heckuva lot nicer than a skinny little runner guy!). You can always go the charity route, I don't care what some people say, it's a noble thing to do. I was at the Red Sox game on Sunday, one of the announcements was about how much money the marathon runners raise for charity. To the people of Boston, all the runners are heroes not simply for running the distance, but for what they bring to the city. They really, really love the runners coming in. 

Nice 6-er this evening, great therapy.

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joe - thanks. Getting back to work today was a big help, and of course working with "kids" in their late teens and early 20s (I know they're adults, but...)  - yeah, always puts a smile on my face, they're so full of life!  I was thinking that after 9/11 I felt super crummy, and this is very similar. 9/11 was far away from me, but it was so huge I guess that's the difference.

I know what you mean--love seeing DD and friends enjoying life in pretty simple ways (don't always understand what's going on, but that's not important)  Then I see the news this morning and see that this was all caused by a couple of kids of that age.  I cannot comprehend what must have happened to them to make them want to take lives in such a horrible way and not live them.

My DS was appaerntly up all night listening to all the reports, with yet more misimformation and hype, and he filled me in when I came down for a run.  Turns out to be very close to where I lived and worked 10 years ago.  I tried to make it out for a run, made it about a 1/2 mile at a very slow shuffle and just said @#$% it, it's not happening this morning and turned around.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Arla, so glad you and your friends were OK.  Glad you were able to attend the memorial service, but yes, that makes it all so much more personal and real.  Having only seen this through the tv camera lens, I have been very down since I heard about it.  I'm not much of a news watcher, but I can't seem to stop watching.  This has impacted me more than any other similar tragedy.  Sure, I knew a few others who were there (and are OK).  But I think it is almost more because being there is something that I have dreamed of.  Like Jonathan pointed out in his article, it is a very magical place and time.  The paragraph about our unselfish family members and friends who are often there for us on race days also really hit home, and makes me realize that I have not appreciated them as much as I should.

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Busy here trying to get farming logistics and equipment ready and between that and basically January weather I missed my mileage goals for the week but still getting out there. They had about 4 feet of snow in my favorite backcountry area  this week so was dying to get up there and go ski but this time of year it gets heavy pretty quick and 5 were killed in an Avvy on Loveland Pass today, but in the end I have way too much going on now to get away.

Really good to see all the old group checking in after Boston. Fran hope you come back and post some more, Boston disrupted us  but the only way out I see is to keep on running...........

Have a great weekend my Running friends!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey, All -

Arla - I'm glad you're back safe and sound.  Give yourself plenty of time to deal with what you've been through.  What a wonderful thing to have been able to be a part of that memorial service.

My AT issues seem very small in comparison.  I'm still not running and get fitted for custom orthotics next week which, in turn, take a week to get.  So by the time all this is over and done with, I will probably have four weeks with no running, just stationary cycling.  My 3-day run over Memorial Day Weekend has been flushed down the proverbial toilet, but hopefully I'll get to run at least one day and volunteer the rest of the time.

Now it's a question of whether or not I will be up to snuff for Mt. Hood on July 13.  If I run it, it might well be one of those "we'll see how far she goes 'til she blows up" types of races. *shrug* I'm riding my stationary bike, but there's not much else I can do.  It's $7.00 a visit to go to the pool, so I can't afford to go there very often.  I sure am hoping and praying that once I get the new orthotics, all my troubles go away.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- hope the orthotics work out for you.

Arla- thanks but I'm going to have to try to become a skinny guy to qualify. My time is 3:30 to have a chance. Pretty sure i was good for at least a 3:55 before Sandy cancelled NY last year. So I have a long way to go but I feel like I could get there for 2015 if I try hard enough.

Sure am glad they caught those 2 cowards. I can't imagine how kids that young could be filled with so much hate.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sounds like you're going to be a stationary biker for awhile, hang in there. Can you get out and walk? Be careful about doing Mt. Hood!

Carol - stick around here a little, it'll be therapeutic. At least here we all understand.

Jim - hope you get a chance to sneak out and get some skiing in. Nothing like getting out into the snowy mountains in spring.

Joe - mmm, 3:30, that's really fast! Some people around RA are suggesting that I bandit Boston if I don't qualify, but I can't quite bring myself to do that. I've been told that there's a long tradition of banditing, the unwritten rule is that you start at the back and you carry your own water etc. You might feel less chicken about it than me!

Went to a "Love to Boston" 2.62 mile run today to raise money for the people of Boston. The local running shop put a on real nice event very quickly, and they weren't disappointed - they ran out of bibs! And raised over $10,000. After that, I headed over to race a 2 miler, wanted to go under 15 and got 14:50, also got 3rd, in my AG, first "podium" finish this year. Still not in the best racing shape but getting there.

Ex runner

jfa

Stumpy- I have had ( I'm sure we all have had) those days where you lace them up, get out there, then turn around and go home. it happens. You just have to make sure that it's not too often.

Carol- a good time to re access and show some love to those who show the love to us.

Jim- thought about you and especially Cindy with the avalanche outside of Denver. Very sad. Seems to be a lot of sad news lately?

Leslie- keep on riding and see what you can do.

Arla- Nice going on the 2 miler ! Like you, I could not bandit a race, much less Boston. You're supposed to earn your way into it.

A nice 5 er around the reservoir yesterday. Just taking it easy, leaving the watch at home. Taking my time and enjoying the scenery. Falling in love with running again, just like the first time.

Taking my time and enjoying the scenery. Falling in love with running again, just like the first time.

Sweet!

Managed to stay on the bike for 45 min last night.  Ooof!  It's more the nether regions not liking this whole biking thing, and I even have a fairly soft seat!

30 min this morning - 3 min steady pedaling, 2 min sprinting.  Rinse, Repeat.  Then 50 min of core/strength training.  A good work out.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Love....there's a bunch of it out there in this old world.  Grab on to some of it, spread it around.

nether region...Leslie, I'm pretty sure you can't say that on the Internet Big grin

HM coming up for me this Sunday.  i intend to match my level of effort to my level of training.

enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - love that lovin' feeling! Enjoy!

Leslie - Used to cycle a lot - that nether region problem should go away with time. If not, a different saddle might be appropriate. They make some women-specific saddles that are very good (try Terry bicycles).

ev - you've been consistent for weeks, you should have a great day out there.

Leaving tomorrow to run the Kentucky Derby Festival marathon on Saturday. My long runs have been lacking, I have no idea if Jim has been training because his wife is getting fed up with his running, Sue ran Boston and is still sore...looks like it's going to be a long day!

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leaving tomorrow to run the Kentucky Derby Festival marathon on Saturday. My long runs have been lacking, I have no idea if Jim has been training because his wife is getting fed up with his running, Sue ran Boston and is still sore...looks like it's going to be a long day!

Don't know how much you tread in the dailies, but Mike and Holly are also running this.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good luck to our runners!

Arla - I'm hoping I'm not stuck to the bike too much longer.  It's a more cushioned seat, but . . . ugh!

I got my orthotics today, 4 days earlier than I expected.  Woo Hoo!  I told the PT who made them that she was my hero.  I didn't ask, but I have no doubt she put in some overtime to get them done for me.  So now I have to work my way into them: Today - 1 hr in a.m., 1 hr in p.m.  If all goes well, tomorrow increase to 2 hrs each, so on and so forth.  Hopefully I'll be able to run for about 30 min on Wednesday.

So in asking my PT about running in them, she said, "So for your first run, don't go doing any kind of crazy mileage."  Me: "What constitutes 'crazy mileage'?"  PT: "Oh.  That's right."  Big grin

And on a more personal note - my brother and SIL could really use some prayer.  I believe I told you folks before that she was diagnosed with breast cancer about two years ago and since has been trying to "cure" herself.  Well, after two years not menstruating, she is now  menstruating again, which could very well mean uterine cancer.  She has really gone over the edge mentally with all this and is living in some fantasy land that everything's going to be okay and blaming my brother for every little thing that goes wrong.  He is under an enormous amount of stress, and I'm very worried about him.  He's one of those people who will try to minimize the affect on him, but I can tell otherwise.  Please keep both of them in your prayers

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Good luck and have fun to our racers Ev and Arla this weekend.

Joe cool about enjoying your runs, that is what it is all about..

Stumpy kind of how I felt  that day of Boston, and I never worked there.......

Leslie hope the orthotics work out for you  My  AT started and ended with foot/ shoe issues so hopefully you are on the right track.

Carol good to hear from you.

We got started planting 2 days ago, lots of prep before and lots going on in general,  Busy times, tis the season.

Bagged the ski trip last weekend. One of the boarders killed at Loveland had worked for both guide services I use in Estes and was a level one Avvy instructor where I took my level 1 class. Lots of dynamics at work but a very sucky snowpack and some group behavior major contributors. Maybe there will still be some spring corn snow left when I get done planting. might get close to 20 in for the week if I can run in the morn......