Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - September (Read 30 times)

22 miles out in Trinidad today. It was rather warm, with no way to cool off, and I ended up going through 96 oz of water in the 5.5 hrs I was out there.   And I'm getting quite the redneck tan - tan neck and arms, white torso and shoulders, tan lines on the legs and around the ankles from the shorts and gators.  Stunning.

Coach has had me on a schedule of EZ running unless it's a specific speed work day, and I think it's paying off. My legs are tired, but not nearly as much. I've also decided to keep my climbing to 30-50% of my miles on the LR days (today was 30%) instead of killing myself with climbing like I have been.

So once I was done with my climbing (and descending, of course), I went back to the A-line to finish my miles. Going out it's a net downhill, which means coming back is a net uphill (shocker, I know), but it's a gentle up so it gives me a chance to work on some uphill endurance.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised to find that even with more climbing than last week, my overall pace today (15:16) was stinking close to last week's (15:00). The solid, steady increase coach is giving me, as well as going up and down the stairs at work as much as possible every day, is paying off.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Leslie and all the others.  I have a vague recollection of posting here.

Nice LR, Les---that's a LOT of water. Shocked  did you carry that all with you?  No wonder you were hot--I think that's about 6lbs of water.

I know there other stuff I missed from last month, but feeling a book and a soft couch calling my name (before the Pat's first game starts, anyway)  Maybe fall will be a little more peaceful and I'll get back in to keeping better track.  (and maybe running a little more too Black eye Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - My bladder holds 64 oz, and then I had a 32 oz bottle in my waist pack that I ditched a couple of times and picked up on the way back by.  I was still parched in the evening and woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I hadn't  drank anything all day.  . . . . dunno.

Nice to see you back in here ~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

An hour of core/ST and some stretching last night.  7 EZ miles this morning. Last night TRX-ing, I must've strained a muscle in the shin area of my left leg.  Didn't start bothering me 'til late in the run, and now it really hurts to walk.  (crap)  Need to do some icing.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - way to go on the easy running, I know it will continue to pay off. Especially if you keep toting 6 lbs of water + X lbs of whatever else. And we really do need to see a pic of that stunning tan. How's Shorty? Sounds like he's doing really well.

Thanks everyone for the b'day wishes. I tried to cancel the b'day this year, but that never works and they just keep coming. Joking

Stumpy! Seems you earned your break from running, look at all the goals you've met this year!

Jim - solid running there. I'm jealous of your weather.

OK, so I'm going to complain. I have MRSA and am on antibiotics that have a 30% chance of success. If I have no luck, the doc says "it gets expensive". Some people die of MRSA. Yippee. Meanwhile, having a tough time at work. We're down to one biologist (me) because my colleague became the Dean. Then it's one of those years where instead of maybe one big administrative project, there are several, and they're all on me as the lone Biology dept. rep. The whole campus is doing accreditation work, which means writing a self-study. It's confusing and raw drudgery. The Biology dept. has its once every 5 yrs review (dept means me). We have to hire a new Biology faculty (we also means me). Somehow I got assigned to the District budget committee, which is basically a 3 hour meeting every other week where representatives from the five district campuses scream at each other over who gets how much money. I've never seen such unprofessional behavior as in those meetings. Plus I have my usual tasks, supervising my 9 adjunct faculty, ordering supplies, dealing with student complaints, scheduling a class offering plan for the next semester, ordering books...essentially everything a department chair would do, except at large campuses a department chair would have a reduced (or no) teaching load.

In my spare time, I teach. Yeah, you and I both thought that what I got paid for! See what your tax dollars do?

Anyway, enough complaining.

Had a great weekend of trail running to beat the heat, and then this morning the heat broke, at least for now. Had a lovely 6 miler that actually made me smile. I'm thankful to have running, and to be healthy enough to do it.

Ex runner

Cripes, Arla - You've been stuck with quite a load.  I have no words of wisdom, except hang in there and I'll be keeping your sanity and health in my prayers.

Re the MRSA - My BIL has it now.  Just got over battling a boil on his butt (and you all thought that was just a saying for someone who was a pain in your life!).  It was really painful.  HE got it from his son/DIL house.  Both of them have been battling it for 8 years.  I would say that perhaps the stress you're under at work isn't helping the healing process.  I remember my ortho cautioning me about that when I tore up my foot at the same time Shorty and I hit bottom.  He told me a number of times I needed to get my stress under control and make sure I ate well as those could impede the healing process.  Do the best you can to give yourself as many breaks as possible and remember you're only human.  Hang in there, sweetie!!

Thank you for asking - yes, Shorty is doing really well.  He's very busy with his business right now, which is great since winter is right around the corner and that equals less work.  In the last 85 days, I think he's taken off maybe 5 days.  Once things slow down, we plan to head to AZ to visit his family.  It's a break he will definitely need.

Another exciting thing we found out is that he's almost done with his probation.  I was under the impression his probation didn't start until AFTER he got out of jail.  He thought it start the day he entered jail.  The correct answer is it starts the day he was actually sentenced.  So come June 23, 2014, he will be off probation, and except for some financial ramifications we're still dealing with, this whole thing will officially be over.  We can actually leave Humboldt County!!  . . . . . well, we could anyway, but he has to get permission, and that's always a pain in the rear.  He said the day his probation ends, we're getting in the car and driving somewhere, anywhere, outside of Humboldt County.  Smile

Whew!  Boy, I'm being long-winded, aren't I??

The shin feels just fine today, which I find incredibly strange considering how much it hurt yesterday.  Did my core/ST this morning and will see how the day progresses before I make the decision re running/sprints tonight.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

7.25 sticky miles this a.m.  And thank the Lord St. Joseph Hospital appeared on my route when it did.  Let's just say I took full advantage of bathroom services.  I must've looked pretty desperate (and I was) to the lady who pointed me in the right direction as she couldn't help but crack a smile that said, "I know what you're problem is." Blush

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - so it's sticky there, too? That's been a big problem around here this summer. Hot I can deal with, hot and sticky, not so much. And WOOT, less than a year to go for Shorty! Nice!

Thoughts to Mtn - hope the heavy rains aren't having a bad impact on you.

Got a new pair of shoes today and they were having a raffle. I stuck around and browsed the sale rack and ended up winning a cute pair of running socks. Little thing but made my day!

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

We have had 2-3 weeks of 100 degree temps that was broke by the storm front that hit Colorado. My running has gone into maintenance mode as we have hit our fall run of corn/bean harvest and wheat seeding. That's ok for now, run when I can.

Arla really sucks on the MRSA and all the job stress you are going through. Glad you had a bright spot to your day scoring those cool socks.

Leslie looks like steady progress on your running and congrats to Shorty glad you can "get outa' Dodge soon"......as they say here.

On Colorado, I think Cindy and Doug are fine, Their house is on high ground in the S Denver burbs. She had said some of their running routes in the normally dry storm canals were overflowing.. My paradise of Estes Park and surrounding area however is a mess. My good friend and hiking bud  Ed was awakened by flood waters rushing in the door, his garage is destroyed and I fear his house is gone also. He has not been able to get back to the area since evacuated. One of my other friends General Store in small Glen Haven was also flooded. All the main roads into Estes from the east are impassible, one southerly route remains open but is threatened with washout. The only other way out is west over the divide at near 12,000 feet on Trail Ridge Road which will soon close for the winter. So sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Itq2nr6hXM

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Wow, Jim.  That video is something else!  Will keep all those affected in my prayers.

Nice, Arla!  You deserve to win something fun after all the crap you are going through.  And yes, it's been extra sticky here, and unusually warm.  We actually had a regular summer!

Got in my final long run today before pacing duties at the end of the month.  It was significantly cooler and very damp.  Lots of fog and a little bit of rain.  My feet were soaked with in the first 10 min.  Didn't bode well for my foot taping, but oh well.  The legs felt tired, but on basically the same route as the last two weeks with a little bit more climbing today, I managed approx the same pace - 14:57.  I'm happy with the results.

Unfortunately, the A-line was being patrolled today, and I got stopped by the head guy who gives out the passes.  Nice man, but to the point - I wasn't allowed to be out there.  He told me of a couple of other spots where they allow people to be, gave me his cell phone number, and told me to call him to get a pass.  He pointed out that currently they had folks out there bird hunting and bow hunting, and next weekend starts the regular deer hunting season.  "Wouldn't want anybody to mistake you for a deer."

He asked me if I wasn't worried about bears and cats, and I told him no.  I try to make noise, I have the SPOT, and people know where am I at.  Also as I told him, I love what I'm doing.  If I was afraid, I wouldn't be able to do it.

So I'll give him a call next week and figure out where the other spots are to run.  Who knows.  Maybe he'll give me the OK to be out there out of hunting and logging season.  We'll see.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - ugh, what a mess is right. Sorry to hear about your friend, I can't imagine losing your house like that, and most of us don't have flood insurance.

Leslie - yes, please don't go out there and get mistaken as a deer! How long is the regular season? I was just looking at a SPOT for some long-distance backpacking I'm hoping to do next summer, but it looks kind of heavy plus you need to pair it with a cellphone. OTOH if you need it...

Had a nice enough easy 6 yesterday, might do the same in a little bit today, ashamed to say I did not get out the door this morning, for no other good reason than I was feeling lazy!

Ex runner

jfa

Hi All! Good to see you chugging along.

Arla- sorry to hear about the MRSA and your job load. Good that you're running and keeping a good attitude.

Leslie- looks like you're getting the miles in. Do be careful during deer season! Around here, they are not allowed to hunt on Sundays. That's great about Shorty.

Stumpy, nice going on reaching your goals!

Jim- glad your heat wave passed. Harvest time for you, good luck!

Happy to hear that Cindy is not in the line of fire out there. What a mess!

All's good with me. I have been doing the HH Advanced Marathon 2 plan. It really is less miles than my previous attempts, (about 50 per week) but has 3 speed workouts per week. Three times I do a 10 miler at MP on Saturday, then a 20 miler LSD on Sunday. Kicked my ass the first time but this passed weekend went really well. I'm getting amped up for the NY marathon. Been trying to run it for 5 years now!

Take care kids and keep it rolling!

Welcome back, Joe.  You've been missed.

Arla - The SPOT isn't that bad re weight.  I don't even notice it.  But then again, I'm not hiking for days on end.  Re pairing with a cellphone - I did pair it to Shorty's, but for me, it's one of those devices I will never use unless I need to send the SOS.  In that case, the cellphone doesn't come into play.  It SOS bypasses anything you may have set up. goes straight to some emergency home base, and they contact the local search and rescue.

I won't be going back out to Trinidad for awhile.  Not only do I not want to be mistaken for a deer, but this guy is probably going to be patrolling more with the hunters out there, and I don't want to get on his bad side.  I'm talking to some folks about other accessible areas of the McKay Tract, so we'll see.  If nothing else, it's the Arcata Community Forest and Headwaters for awhile.  A lot less driving involved than Trinidad!

It was raining when I got up this morning.  Checked the weather forecast, which said clear for this afternoon, so I channeled by inner wus and decided to wait and run after work. Smile

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

4 EZ miles last night while keeping an eye out for a run away dog.  Some folks stopped me just as I was getting started, and they were looking for their pup.  I zig zagged around for 4 miles looking for him, but never saw him.  Hope they found each other.

The Hub is nagging me about when I'm going to run another one. Confused (Okay - that's different from in the past). However, I'll see how things hold up during my upcoming pacer duties at Mountain Lakes 100, and if there are no issues (i.e., tendonitis doesn't flare up), I'm considering the Whiskeytown 50k.  It's only a couple of hours from home.  I'd rather do the Weaver Basin 50k, but it's the weekend after Mt. Lakes, so I'm not so sure it's viable.  Will have to discuss with coach.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - nice to see ya. 10 mi at MP then 20 long the next day is no joke! And three quality workouts a week! Wow! I always thought three workouts was best left to the young'uns.

Leslie - glad you have an option for getting out there and off the roads. I know you don't care for the roads much. Whiskeytown 50K - when is that? It's a pretty hot area, almost like Fresno.

Cooler weather means I'm doing some doubles twice a week by commuting to work on foot. The shortest route to work is about 3.8 mi, and I have a few longer routes up to about 6 mi. It's really nice to get to work feeling energized after running in the cool morning air.

Ex runner