Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - September (Read 30 times)

Enjoy your foot commuting, Arla.

Whiskeytown is October 26, and yes, it gets HOT over in the Redding area.  It's possible it could be cooled down by then.  One can always hope.  It's not a bad drive, though, only about 3 hrs to Redding, and a friend moved there about a year go, so free room and board!

Re running in hot weather - never without my Coolmax bandana.  It's a life saver.

5 miles last night with 2 tempo miles in the middle.  Sadly, my tempo paces are some of y'all's regular paces. Roll eyes  Wink  I did, however, get it accomplished by listening to this over and over.  Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sounds like a good deal. And tell me more about your coolmax bandana. When I google that, I see head bandanas, I think you're talking about something that goes around your neck?

Easy 6 this morning after lecture, Fresno State football game tonight which means junk food! Big grin

Ex runner

Arla - I was calling it the wrong name.  It's called a "Cool Off" bandana, and they're sold through ZombieRunner.  They're wonderful.  The is a slot at each end where you can stuff in ice.  There's a chamois inside, and that's the side you put against your skin.  Or just soak it in cold water.  Then tie it around your neck and really helps to keep you cooled down.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks for that, it's going on my wish list!

Had a nice trail run up around 7500 - 8000 feet in the local mountains east of Florence Lake, very slow going but gorgeous scenery with a light dusting of snow from a storm that blew through Saturday afternoon and evening. My legs are pooped today and it was totally worth it!

Ex runner

Leslie - thanks for that, it's going on my wish list!

Had a nice trail run up around 7500 - 8000 feet in the local mountains east of Florence Lake, very slow going but gorgeous scenery with a light dusting of snow from a storm that blew through Saturday afternoon and evening. My legs are pooped today and it was totally worth it!

$18 at ZombieRunner, and very much worth it.  Put 2 or 3 on your wish list as they come some great colors.

And nice run!  Those elevations always kill me.  BTW - Your friend (Mark??) who runs the 100-milers, has he looked at the new Brice Canyon 100? Eric Schranz from ultrarunnerpodcast.com ran it and loved it.  It's hard and stays up around 7000-9000 feet.  He did a podcast after the race and it's a great listen.

No run for me today, and minimal miles this week (Tues-3, Wed-3) as I get ready to head north for Mt. Lakes 100 and crew and pacer duties for Kate.  Should be fun!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Still just running when I can now but managing to sneak 3 to 4 shorter runs in per week until our fall wheat seeding and harvest run is done. Got an entry for the Pumpkin Run 3 or 10 miler but looks like we will be in the thick of harvest then. Finished my pintos and delivered the last load and just as I rolled the last truck into the shed the skies dumped, so glad they are done. They don't take water very well when ripe.

Leslie looks like you are finding some other options for trails although not exactly convenient. Good on you for taking a SPOT. My mtn photog friend has one as he is often hiking in the early morning darkness to get sunrise pics solo. Great piece of mind for his wife and himself.

Arla I saw a lot of the CO high country had a dusting of snow. A little chilly but it sure does it make it gorgeous up there once the sun comes out. I am so bummed as the 2 main avenues to my mountain playground have been obliterated by the floods. CDOT says it is a priority to get at least one passable before winter.

Joe good to hear from you and your NYC training is coming along. This is finally your year for it, I can feel it!

Will put this up as I know a few around here know or at least know of Igloo Ed including Chris Gerber and Ev,  I think Chris is going up to help with cleanup this weekend. Thought about putting it in the masters but what do you all think.http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbor/igloo-ed-family-fund/89324

Pinto quality was awesome.Photoesome.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Great pic, Jim.  Glad you're getting some running in.  Re Igloo Ed - my prayers to him and his family.  And yeah, start a new thread in here.  Every little bit will help him.

Well, I've been dealing with a nasty boil since this weekend.  I had no idea what it was, but finally figured it out.  When to the doc yesterday and got started on antibiotics, but am trying to get the thing to the point where I can lance it.  Guess where it is?  MY BUTT!!  Argh!!!  I can barely sit on my right butt cheek.  I've been doing the hot compresses, but finally figured out that soaking in hot water works best.  As of 1:00 p.m., I've been in the tub for close to 4 hours and it's starting to work.  Yea!  'Cause tomorrow I have a 7-8 hour drive to Portland.  Ugh!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - that's exactly what was going on with me, and the doc figured out it was MRSA. The bacteria live at the front of your nose and then you can send them elsewhere. I knew blowing snot rockets on my runs was gross, but I didn't know I was moving really nasty bacteria around. For some reason, once they get on your butt or in your groin, they cause large, painful, pus-filled lesions. I did hot bathtub soaks twice a day and they would resolve (suddenly opening up and draining - yuck). But I kept getting new ones until the doc put me on an antibacterial ointment that I have to shove up my nose twice a day. The worst was the one on the bottom of my foot - no running for a week because it was so painful. Maybe TMI but I hope the info helps.

Jim - nice looking beans. Hope that road gets fixed up, so sad what's happened up there. I'll help your friend out and I think getting the word out is a good idea. Every little bit helps, I'm sure.

Nice running around here last few days with much cooler weather and clear skies now that the fires are mostly out. Have a race tomorrow but my heart's not really in it, will probably just hobbyjog this one.

Ex runner

From snot rockets???  How very strange.  Interestingly, I had been having problems with acne on my rear and then this happened.  Will be keeping a very close eye on things.  Thanks for the information.  Things are much better in the butt department.  Started getting relief Wed evening, and all I can say about that is OW!!!!! and YUCK!!!!!!

Made it to Portland . . . . . and this weekend's weather forecast is calling for epic weather from WA down through OR and into the Cascades.  Expecting 2-5 inches of rain in our area of the Cascades alone.   . . . . . . . C-R-A-P.  I had to buy some rain gear and am having to borrow running clothes from Karen because I didn't come prepared for that kind of weather.  The last time I looked at the weather report, it was all suppose to pass by this weekend.

So things are going to be interesting - for the runners, volunteers, the poor RDs, everyone.  . . . . . .  Anybody got a life vest???

Will let you know how things work out.  See you on the flip side ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - yeah, butt acne...exactly how it started. Benzoyl peroxide cream (acne cream) helps. I've had butt acne every summer ever since I started running. Oh, and tea tree oil soap helps as well. OW and YUCK is right.

Yeah, you've got a storm rolling in, be careful. I ran the Flying Monkey marathon in a downpour, but that was on roads. I can't imagine those conditions on the trail, sounds dangerous to be honest.

Ex runner

E-P-I-C.  The satellite pic attached - hopefully it is still showing the incredible weather hitting that area.  The race called around 8:30 p.m. yesterday due to extremely hazardous conditions - rain, sleet, snow, driving winds with gusts of up to 40 mph.  Two vehicles possibly totaled due to trees falling on them.  It was absolutely incredible.  My hat's off to the race directors for having a fantastic evacuation plan in place to get the runners and volunteers out of the area in an orderly fashion, and to the runners for their patience as everyone at the various aid stations did their best to keep them warm.  Lots of runners with varying degrees of hypothermia, but the RDs had sleeping bags and space blankets for each aid station.  Finally got back to our vehicle/camp site around 2:00 a.m.

Lots more to tell, but right now I am tired.  Yack atcha later ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - have to admit that I was worried and I'm SO GLAD to hear that the RDs had it together and made sure everyone was safe.

Had a 10K race on Saturday, part of the year-long "Valley Runner of the Year" series. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th place Senior women in the series were present. I knew that I should be able to get enough points to pass #4, she's a little slower than me but had done more races, and you can only get points from your best three races in each of three points categories. But...who cares if I get 4th, there are no trophies for 4th in the series.

But then...#3 was nowhere to be seen, which was great for me because she's just that much faster than me, so I can only pass her in points if she misses one of the last four races this season!

However...I also knew that my summer running has gone poorly. The starting gun went off, and #4 took off fast! I was resigned to this, but kept her in sight anyway.

After about a mile, however, #4 was already fading badly, she was slowing and I could hear her gasping. The race was at elevation and had some hills, and I've been spending time in both lately. I easily passed her and ended up with a third place for the event, and went from 5th to 3rd in the series! Because the erstwhile #3 was not there, the best she can do even if she wins the remaining three races this year (and assuming I continue my record of 4th place finishes) is tie me.

Ex runner

SWEET!!

Took me over 9 hours to get home (not including about a 45-min stop at Fred Meyer in Grants Pass to just walk around for a few minutes).   Rain, rain, and more rain for probably 3/4 of the drive.  Now I'm home and it's beautiful outside!

Since I didn't get to run this past weekend, I'm gonna try to get over to run the Weaver Basin 50k on Saturday.  Gotta do something with all this training. Smile

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Got a race (partial race?) report? It must have been some adventure. Sounds like even your drive home was an adventure. Also, where is everyone else hanging out here at RA?

Bonked on my long run on Sunday, just couldn't keep my pace slow enough after the race, it seemed, and cut it short to 11. Those last 3 miles were tough. Easy for the rest of the week, then another race on Saturday, a 5K....ugh....5Ks are a little piece of hell. At least they're short.

Ex runner

Good luck with the race.  Your commitment to those shorter races are what make you the speed demon you are today.

Did my 3 miles last night.  Could definitely tell it had been 7 days since I last ran, but that's okay.  Another EZ 3 tonight and maybe tomorrow.  Am still keeping the fingers crossed on the truck . . . . . and hoping against hope it's something they did when they did the overhaul a couple of weeks ago.  Yeah, I'll say it - I would very much like for it to be on their dime! Big grin

Race Report - I haven't done one yet, but will work on it.  And I have no idea where everyone else is these days.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance