Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - September (Read 30 times)

Got about 2.5 miles into my EZ 3 last night when I saw a guy walk away from a dog tied to a fence around a small horse pasture.  As I got closer to the guy and realized he was leaving the dog, I asked him if the dog was his.  He was an older Hispanic gentleman who had a little trouble with English.  He said no, he'd found the dog running in the road and tied him up so he wouldn't get hit.   . . . . . okay . . . .

Me: "Did you call anybody?"

Him:  "No."

Me: Thinking "So you've tied up the dog and planned to just leave him there???"

Him: reaching into this jacket pocket "You want to call someone?" and hands me his cell phone.

So I called animal control, who said they'd send someone.  Told them I'd wait until the person arrived and, of course, they couldn't promise when someone would get there.  So me and this poor scared dog - who was an absolute sweetheart - are standing on the side of the road watching car after car go by.  The wind's blowing, it's cooling down, and I'm starting to freeze my toockus.  I just kept praying, "Lord, someone along who knows this dog or send the owner.  PLEASE.  'Cause I'm freezing!!"

I stood there for probably 45 min trying to keep the poor pup calm.  Finally, a young woman from across the street walks up and asks me what's going on.  "I saw you when I got home and realized something was wrong since you're still standing here."  Told her the story, and she said she'd take the dog and watch for animal control.  Right about that same time, a young couple pulled up.  They'd driven by and seen me standing there and decided something was wrong, so came back.  We ended up having to cut the nylon rope that the dog was tied to the fence with, and the guy had a pocket knife.  Thank you!

Walked with the young woman to her house and got her phone number as I was going to try a couple of places down the road (the direction I had to go to get home).  No luck.  Called her when I got home, and animal control had just showed up and were trying to talk her into keeping the dog for the night.

Don't know how it all ended, but prayers were answered, and the pup ended up at the house of a very nice woman.  Hopefully, the owners will be more responsible once they get him back (no tags), but doubtful.  Folks I talked to said there are 3 or 4 dogs always running loose in that area.  Too bad.  Needless to say, because it was so cold, my last .50 were a bit sproinkier than the first 2.5.

So my dog rescue count is up to 4 or 5.  Goat rescue - 1.  Worm and caterpillar rescues - multiple.

Heading over to Weaverville after work for the Weaver Basin 50k tomorrow.  I'm feeling slightly off, so hoping whatever it is stays away until after tomorrow's race.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

glad all the strays in your neighborhood have you to look after them, Leslie.  Still not sure how (why?) people get pets and then don't pay attention to them.  Have a great run tomorrow.  Pretty good to jump into a 50K on short notice.

Hi Arla.  Hope you guys don't mind if I intrude on your conversations. Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - that was very sweet of you. Poor doggie! I don't know how you were able to run that last 1/2 mi after freezing like that!

Stumpy - like your avatar...maybe I didn't notice before....it's really cool.

Easy 6 this am, plan on another 3 tonight. It's the doing doubles time of year, guess I can call it a tradition at this point. Race tomorrow and then a wedding in Carmel. It's at the old Carmel Mission, which I've only seen from the outside, so that will be interesting. Plan to stay over and run on 17 mile drive on Sunday. You can park at one end of the drive and go in for free on foot or by bicycle, then gawk at the gold courses and multi-million dollar homes. Most of us probably couldn't even afford the property taxes on those homes, but it's fun to look.

Ex runner

Oooh!  Take your camera!  Safe travels, Arla.

You're always welcome, Stumpy!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yesterday, I had the hardest race ever. I'm not sure what was harder - my very first 50k or this year's Weaver Basin 50k. The race itself is tough, but it was what I did in the days leading up to the race and during and after the race that was mistake compounded upon mistake. HUGE thanks to Gus and his volunteers and Sweep turned Pacer Extraordinaire - Alex - for getting me through, even when I just wanted to curl up and die.  Also to Gus and family and Alex's wife and family for waiting for me at the finish line a full hour after the 2nd to last runner finished. (Yes, I was most definitely DFL). BUT a really great DFL prize!! A free pair of shoes from KEEN. Whoot Whoot!

Today, walking is a bit of a challenge, but a good walk is in my future, as well as some yard work.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance