Masters Running

Need Advice on Coming Back from Illness (Read 188 times)

I managed to contract the N1H1 virus AND a kidney infection....lucky me!!  It really knocked me down and I have been unable to run for 2 weeks.  I was running 16 miles per week - 5mi, 4mi & two 3.5 mi runs - all outside.  I ran for the first time on the dreadmill today (figured I could stop whenever my body told me to) and managed 2 slow miles.  It was all I could do.  I'm thinking this week I'll end up running 10 miles (two 2 milers & two 3 milers).  Here's my big question, do I follow the 10% rule from there or can I get back to my 16 mile weeks quicker, since that's where I left off?

Slo

No

You didn't lose that much fitness that quickly......you should be able to pick right up where you left off.

I just wish I were in the same boat......I'm looking at 2 - 3 months off and I was averaging 50mpw. I'll be able to maintain my general aerobic fitness but my run fitness is going to take a pretty good hit.

Best of luck to you Huff n Puff ! Get back out there !

Thanks for the feedback.  I can't believe how that virus kicked my butt....
        evanflein

That's going to be your biggest problem, IMO. The flu (any flu) leaves a lingering fatigue that you could be battling for awhile. But just take it easy and build back up, more for flu recovery than a loss of fitness perspective.

Prince of Fatness

Here's my big question, do I follow the 10% rule from there or can I get back to my 16 mile weeks quicker, since that's where I left off?

Throw the 10% rule out the window and use the listen to your body rule.  You don't want a relapse, then you'll be dealing with more time off.  And make sure you are doing the other right stuff like getting enough sleep, diet, hydration, etc.

Just be patient and ease your way back into things.  You'll get there.  Good luck.

Not at it at all.