Masters Running

Saturday 7/24/10..Runs and such (Read 527 times)

SteveP

Just got a call from DD#1.

Noah's getting ready for a 5K with Grampy!!! I hope there are shirts in his size.

SteveP

Noah's getting ready for a 5K with Grampy!!! I hope there are shirts in his size.

.......GO GRAMPY!!!!!!!!

have a good race, and take LOTS of pictures.....

=========

...last night at 9pm

88-degrees with 83% humidity........but it's a MOIST heat.....

..........100 degrees here today (WITHOUT the HeatIndex)

20 min xbike standing,

driving to KY after work

................good running to the rest of ya....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

After we left The Pro's house yesterday we traveled to La Tortuga's house. After resting up a bit she took us for a tour of Boston. The highlight of our tour was meeting up with Denise for lunch. Denise, thanks for your effort to make our "meet-up" happen. You are as sweet and lovely in person as you are on the board.

Party at La Tortuga last night was fantastic!!!! Man, that girl sure knows how to entertain!!! There was great food, laughter and a huge variety of drink to enjoy. Paul and I really enjoyed meeting for the first time Marj & Henry (who are the sweetest couple you could ever meet),  and we also met the lovely Dr. Robin Travers. Denise, ThePro and a few of La Tortuga's friends joined the party as well. We definitely were a rowdy crowd! 

Have a great day!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good Morning Everyone, 

Steve how nice Noah  wants to run w/Grampy  Yes photos!

Mariposi sounds like a great vacation.  I'm jealous of you meeting Henry & Marj 

Umpired 2 games each of the last 3 days with 2 big tournaments in area.  Heat index yesterday 110  

Storms all around but not a drop at the ball field, it is hard as a rock. 

Other fields had some rainouts so the schedule is wacked so I'm on hold waiting on call of when & where today.

5 easy miles this morning w/DW   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Go Noah!  Go Grampy!

Mariposai – what fun!

Sarge – I don’t envy you in your umpire getup in that heat.

Today’s was the worst run I’ve had in a long time.  The plan was for a wave run, 14-15 miles, but my legs just felt dead from the start.  DOMS from Thursday’s intervals, maybe?  81° and 85% at 5:15am (the hottest morning here yet this summer, still not as hot as at TomWhite’s house, though) didn’t help, either.  A real slogfest.  I would have cut it short, but by the time I figured out I should give up on the run, I was seven miles from home. 

14 miles total, with miles 3, 5, 7 at MP (8:46, 8:43, 8:50), and the rest of the run abysmally slow, with lots of walking breaks near the end.

Still, any run is better than no run.

I got my fall soccer team roster yesterday for DD's team of 7-8yo.  They gave me an assistant coach this time, and coincidentally enough I met her at a party earlier this summer - she works with my DH, and is lots of fun.  Tuesday is our first practice...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Fly by.....

Pouring rain....

Noah showed.....

More to follow

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, Holly--they don't waste any time.  Fall soccer starting at the end of July?

Boy--a mini Boston reunion, with Mari and DH tossed in for goog measure.  That must have been a fun night!!  I'm jealous.

3.5 yesterday up in Maine, but not completely sure of either time or distance,  becasue I started the Garmin before it had found all its sattelites in the new spot.  At least some of the mile splits looked good.

Happy Saturday to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Don't sweat that run Holly (no pun intended).  81° and 85% is a bear.

3 miles slow for me in similar weather to Holly's.  Then 18 holes of hacking it around.  Saving the run energy for tomorrow's LR.

On Thursday I got my Boston Marathon results Book and Certificate in the mail.  That was unexpected and cool.  Did you other Boston runners get yours too?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Go Grampy and Noah! Can't wait for the details.

8.7 miles for me this morning----the first 4 with the kiddo and the last part solo. Kiddo's stride is looking strong and he's been running 6 days a week for 6 weeks now (following his cross-country summer plan) and starting to see results. 

Some runs are just like that Holly and you are right, a run is better than no run

Here's hoping there's an easy answer tselbs and congratulations to your daughter.

Maraposai knows how to travel the right way---great fun indeed and just wish you had come this way too!

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Hi CNY,

You were so close but so far away.  Wish you could have made it a bit more east.  The stumpster too.

5M here hot and humid.  Woof.

Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

4.6 in a misty rain. 9:35 pace.

Steve,

I bet I know a dog that is gonna be upset.

Hope everyone has a great day

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. nice run in that!.... but be careful. MP should be MP effort and not actual MP pace when it is hot. You are pushing too hard... hence the crash.

Breeger.. I got my results book too and was thrilled not to be on the last page!

Mari... I'm so happy you and Paul got to meet some of teh Boston crowd. They're the best!

I must be nuts to want to do a 15 miler on the hottest weekend on record!  Heat index today and tomorrow near 115°!

I started early and ran by feel which turned out to be very slow with the starting temp of 78 and 75° dewpoint. By mile 13 I felt ok but was concerned I'd lose too much fluid so I ran/walked those last 2.  When I checked the temps I knew why the last 2 miles were not runnable: heat index was 98°... at 9 am!  This is sci-fi temps for here.

...... back to pool running!

I drank 5.5 pints of water and still lost 7.2 pints (4.8% body weight). All re-hydrated and feeling good now.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

My condolences to those of you running in the H&H.  Way to tough it out! You guys have way more fortitude than I do.

Mari, glad you're having such a good vacation and meeting lots of friends!  Pictures?

It's cooler here this weekend - only supposed to be in the 60's in the mountains and 80's in town.  Still, I only managed a tired 5.5 miles - 4 with my furry panting  buddies, and then another 1.5 on my own.  I'm not a morning runner but I went out at 9 am because DD and I are going shopping this afternoon.  It was only 55° so I'm not sure why I felt so sluggish - just one of those carpy runs, I guess.  The best part?  I wore my new Sugoi running skirt that came yesterday.  Love it! 

Can't wait to hear more about Noah and Batman's 5K in the rain!

Tom, congrats to your daughter.  Hope she likes the new internship and the new town.

Denise, how's your son doing?  Hugs to you and your family.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hi friends .......... was great meeting Mari, her dh and laT for lunch yesterday even tho i had to cut it short to get to the hospital - very draining evening with son but glad i made it to somerville for the get together - was a joy to be with the group

today went to church then a reunion meeting from my last retreat and yes, around the safety of my friends i finally broke down and sobbed - so thankful to have friends i have that comfort level with and so thankful to all of you and everyone who has kept us in their prayers and intentions.

oh - also managed to get in a 4 mile run yesterday - my brain and body needed that too!

have a wonderful saturday my friends.

denise

evanflein

Holly, you ran 20 miles on Sunday, intervals on Tuesday (1/4 mile), then 800's on Thursday, plus a leg workout, then a wave workout today. And you wonder why your legs were dead tired. I don't think you're getting enough recovery in your diet, dear. Be careful, especially in the H&H...

Sounds like a fun party in Somerville! Too bad Stumpy and CNY couldn't make it, but a good gathering was pulled together. I love hanging out with LaT.

Today it was supposed to be partly sunny. Nope. Totally cloudy and sprinkling. I'm not enjoying our July this year. I'll spend the day cleaning up around here, just puttering which I love to do. Some shopping (we're always out of food, especially fruit), and a short run later on, but a pretty low key day. Nice prep for tomorrow's race. I'm going to get muddy.