Masters Running

Thursday, July 15 Daily stuff (Read 443 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning all!

This morning the storms were here so no run for me.  Hailey alerted me to the storm coming in at 4 a.m. so I finally got up with her.   I found that letting her play with the kitties was a great diversion from the storm and she did quite well with them.   Brinkley is going to be the challenge it seems.

DH is dropping off another raccoon too.   Definintely one more to catch and hopefully that will be it for a while!

Hallar - it is good to read that your base building is going so well.   Have you thought about any races yet?

TomS - When do you get your test results back?  

Have a great day everyone ..... I may need a wake up call after lunch!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I was up early, too, but managed to get a few more zzzzzzzz's in before I ran.

6.3 easy, 8:50 m/m.

Belated birthday wishes!

Walt

Yes Hopeful I am doing the Crim 10 mile and the Brooksie Way 1/2. After that and depending how things go I will probably look for a January Marathon. Thinking about Miami ING but this is way to soon to be sure. I had a plan of a local 5 or 10k every week all summer but decided it did more negative to my milage building than it helped so I have shelved that idea although I do need to get back out there some where. How about  you?

I am not sure todays run is going to happen. I only need 4 but severe thunderstorms are predicted this afternoon and I have a dinner meeting with alll my siblings at 7. I am on 10 hour shifts at work so I don't get home until 5. It could still happen but everything will need to line up perfectly. No worries though ,

Great runs everyone

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Slo

Hey all !

I've got a little catching up to do.

A hot and sweaty 4 miles this morning. That was all I could muster.

A Note of Thanks for all the words of condolences, thoughts and prayers. They came at a much needed time.

Dave59

I'm back from the doctor.  The news was all good, but not good enough in my eyes.  I have to go another week on crutches.  Next Thursday he will remove the stitches and I will be cleared to do some careful walking.  I am allowed to put some weight on my foot now as long as I am careful.

He said that in 19 years of practice, even though everyone is a little different, my case is something new and it still puzzles him.  In the 5-6 hours from the time he saw me last Wednesday morning until I came into surgery I had gotten much worse.  But when they cut my foot open, stuff didn't go shooting out as expected. 

And while surgery makes most people get some swelling, my foot started immediately getting better when it was cut.  The swelling and redness went down while I was in surgery.  He is pretty convinced that it was more compartment syndrome than infection.  In fact, the preliminary results of the culture didn't show any bacteria.  (He still hadn't gotten the final results yet.)  He had a lot more gruesome comments on the characteristics of my injury that I can't type or I would get queasy. 

He cut away some old skin and underneath was some brand new healthy skin.  I should be in pretty good shape by next Thursday.

11.3 miles at 7:00 am---"pace run" with 5 x 5 minutes @ 6:15 pace (3 minutes interval) in the middle. Felt zippy. The kiddo joined me for the first part---he's now up to 6 miles without stopping and feeling good.

Dave---while you aren't pleased with the doctor news, it sounds hopeful and like you'll be back out there really soon. Hang in there.

Heading out to Brooklyn now...one of these days I'll catch up here. sigh

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave59 – I still don’t understand exactly what compartment syndrome is, but I’m glad it’s getting better, although I know how frustrating it must be for you.   You never really value your feet until something like this happens.

10 miles for me today in 70° and 93%, which included 6 x ½ mile intervals/200m recovery that were intended to be at tempo pace (8:20-8:30).  However, 3 days off running (but still eating) over the weekend, combined with hormonal bloat right now, have me feeling like I could ROLL better than I could run at the moment.  So, while my effort was tempo, my actual paces were slower than MP, around 8:54 ave.  Some days are like that.

I know I whine about the weight battle too much, but I do think that if I want to have decent showing at the AF Marathon, I must buckle down and drop this extra weight I’ve picked up this year.  A little bit goes a long way on a small woman like me, and it really does seem to make a difference to my running.  I want to feel light on my feet again...

Afterward, I did lunges, squats, and bench step-ups.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Enjoy Brookling Karin. I know you are going there for work, but even then...have an ounce or two of fun in the city.

Dave, good to hear that you are doing better. Keep enjoying being the king of the house.

Holly, did you not eat for three days? I hope that is not so.

Hallar, it seems like your patience is paying off with the base building. Great going there.

Thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday. You guys are the best of the bunch. I had a terrific birthday celebration. My son Daniel took me out to lunch to a mexican restaurant. When we got there I saw a young man in suit and tie walking towards me with flowers...it was my oldest son David, who drove from Seattle to surprise me. After lunch I took the afternoon off and allowed the guys to pamper me. DH and sons produced a great dinner (grilled salmon, grilled zucchini and peppers, orzo, garden greens and tomato with fresh mozzarella and basil salads and a delicious angel food cake with strawberries). All in all it was a joyful day.

Today I ran 7 miles with 7x2' striders. Legs are feeling good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

A lot of good, speedy runs this morning.  Mine was slow, but felt better than Tuesday.  The humidity is in the 60s, not the 70s.  Anyways, 10 miles this morning.  Saw 2 dead snakes in the road - very sad.

Like Holly, I've gained some weight (probably a lot more than Holly).  Time to focus on eating better.

Dave59

Dave59 – I still don’t understand exactly what compartment syndrome is,

I don't fully either.  It is supposed to be -  "Compartment syndrome is an increased amount of pressure from swelling inside a small space. Usually this occurs in an area where a group of muscles are contained by fascia (connective tissue lining)."

While surfing the web, I found a case of a marathon runner who had something that sounded like me.  He was running again about 6 weeks after surgery.

I can verify one thing that Wikipedia says: "The pain is aggravated by stretching the muscle group within the compartment and is not relieved by analgesia up to and including morphine".  They gave me morphine in the hospital the night before surgery and it had no effect.  I asked the nurse if they gave me a placebo.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, did you not eat for three days? I hope that is not so.

No, I mean that I did not run, but I continued to eat as if I was still running....

Dave - pain that morphine can't touch - ouch!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

fatozzig, good job at SOB.  dave, I'm glad to hear there's improvement even if it's not as fast as you'd like.  mari, it sounds like you had a great birthday with your family.

Nice long runs for CNY ( a couple - one with speedwork), holly (with speedwork), and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for breger.

I haven't heard anything from my doctor about my tests.  Probably that means that the results aren't back or there's nothing unusual.  If I don't hear in a few more days, I'll call him.  I'm already hungry since I can't eat before tomorrow's colonoscopy.  I'm going to be famished by show time tomorrow afternoon.

This morning it was in the low 70s, there was a light wind, and some humidity.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:22 for a 10:16 pace.

A good day and goodruns for all.

TomS

Dave59

I'm already hungry since I can't eat before tomorrow's colonoscopy.  I'm going to be famished by show time tomorrow afternoon.

That's because you have zero reserves.    You're all skin, bones and muscle. 

evanflein

One of my biggest irrational fears about that colonoscopy prep is that I'll starve to death before the procedure. I know that's far from the truth, but I get famished if I can't eat something every 3-4 hours! How could I survive that?? I know, stupid, but still. Good luck with that, Tom.

Dave, glad to hear things are progressing. And compartment syndrome happens all over... it's one of the things that can be mis-diagnosed as shin splints. When I was suffering from shin splints, my doc was thinking I might actually have CS because the anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen and then relafen) had little to no effect. I believe carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists is also a form of CS.

Holly, I'm up a couple of pounds and I ran more miles last week than I have in any week since March! So... running is no salvation in the weight battle. I'm blaming that rhubarb crisp I made the other night that's already half gone... and I'm the only one eating it!! Why did I make that? Of course, one splurge doesn't equal 3 lbs, but it's a trend I've got to put a stop to!

Nice birthday doin's for you, Nancy! Hey remember meeting my boss in Seattle last year? His birthday was yesterday, too. I totally forgot. Told him my friend's birthday was on Bastille Day, and he quizzed me if I knew anyone else with a BD on that day. I said, not that I know of. Felt pretty stupid when I realized. Oops. 

Like Larry, I might have to postpone a run today. I got up early to get my 4-5 miles in, and it was pouring down rain AND thick smoke in the air. How unfair is that? Unfortunately, the rain doesn't clear out the smoke, and if it's not raining on the fire, there's little advantage gained from the rain except that we get wet. Running at lunch is out if it's raining (I won't do the drowned rat thing all afternoon), but I'll take my running stuff just in case. Then I have a vendor dinner tonight, so no RAW option there. Might just switch with tomorrow's day off..

My temporary crown came out with my retainer/nightguard this morning. I tell ya, I had a broken tooth for 8 months that didn't cause me problems. Now I work to get it fixed, and nothing but trouble. WTH.

...Irrational Fears are always the best..........

unless

you have a Cat Sitting on Your Bladder...........

========

...but I digress....

............mid 80s.........20min HH 4/1 at Y.......

need to

NOT do that after a day of hiking.......

.......you think I'd Learn.

..............you'd be wrong.

........................................good running guys...........apparently you don't have to be That Bright to be a Runner.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....