Masters Running

Groundhog's Day 2//2/19 (Read 39 times)

SteveP

Bioguy checks in. Most of us have fond memories of the teachers that made a difference.

Joe618 pops in.

Coastwalker nurses an injury.  We need to start a J O'Clock fan club.

HollyS raves about the show and rants about the snow. She logs three on the mill.

RunnerKSA gets in 3.6 on the treadmill and jogs down memory lane.

Tramps did a pre-Super Bowl 5K.

Surly Bill showers us with wisdom through experience.

Rochrunner pushes for some workout mojo. In many cases, all we need is barely.

Mrrun gives us the bird's eye view.

Fatozzig works it without pushing it. Good deal. "I doubt the company will find anyone who does your job the way that you have".

Tom White hits the pool running for 40 minutes! 

Evanflein checks in with 5.3 in the wind and the sun.

SteveP how do you really feel about some of those drivers? 

A few won't send me a thank you note.

TwoCat's PT allows him to pick up the pace and distance.

Deez4boyz, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of one so young. I hope your running is pain free soon.

Stumpy checks in.

We get a Pfriese fix! He knocks out two days with 7 miles.

Wildchild has 18 on OMG! Nice break on the tranny!

Falconfixer gets in an early 6.3.

MikeE has a triumphant 8 with a proud grandpa night.

Mariposai has a nine miles week with cross training/multitasking.

I had 3.5 treadmill miles before work. I helped a sales rep put up displays from a mess he inherited from two of his predecessors. We had a dozen displays trickle in over the course of three years. I finally went over a lot of heads and got results from a poor guy who has only been on the job for 4 months. When I got home, I started a tunnel through a snow bank for the grandkids. I put the shovel down after dark then logged another 4.1 on the machine.

SteveP

Joe618

Happy Groundhog's Day!    For some reason, I have a Sonny and Cher song running through my brain....

Steve, thanks for the recap.  One must have serious snow to have a snow tunnel. 

Mike, nice run and congrats to the GD scoring well! 

Enjoy the retreat, KSA! 

MikeE, kudos to your granddaughter!!!.  Nice run today.

Joe, great to read that you were able to fit in your tempo. How is your new training plan working for you?

Thanks for asking about the Hanson's plan, Mariposi.   MikeE has much more experience executing the plan than I do.  He could comment with much more content.   Bioguy is also using Hansons and I'd like his take.   For me, I'm wrapping up week 8 of 18 this weekend heading for Boston.   I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of things.   One, I've managed the six days/week of running with no problem.   I had only been running 4 or, at most, 5 days per week on the Higdon plans I'd been using.  Two, I really like the variety of both distance, style and pace of the runs in each week.  This has been good for the mental aspects of training as well as changing things up on the legs.   I still have to get through some long-ish mid-week tempo runs over the next few weeks which will be interesting given I still work for a living.   But I feel great and am pleased with it so far.

While I keep all my training records here on RA, I also have a paper print out of the plan taped to a mirror in our bedroom.   The 18 weeks works out to two and a half pages of a spreadsheet printout .   I just finished the first page of training...here's a photo of my penciled daily notes through seven weeks of training.

More info than you wanted, sorry!!

Have a quiet morning here, getting the tax return started.   Temps in the 40s this afternoon, will do some 800m repeats with my grandson, then six miles in shorts for me.   On page 2 of the sheet.

Have a greta weekend!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Love the detail on the Hanson’s plan, Joe.  I think it will work well for you.

Thanks for the start, Steve.

Got to get to breakfast, but got in 7.1 nice, outside miles!  44 degrees and a decent route (path) once I got a rose the interstate, which is a little dicey, but not too bad.  Started with the headlamp but turned it off about 3 miles in.  

Didn’t sleep well.  This place is a dump as far as accommodations.  Sort of like a 1930s jail.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Joe--love your enthusiasm for your plan. Going in confident and healthy is so important.

Carolyn--that's such a Colorado picture! Nice.

This cartoon reminded me of some of the conversations here.

Out for a 10K brisk-walk in unexpectedly chilly temps. "Just" 15F this morning; I thought it was supposed to be warmer. Oh well. Beautiful clear blue sky after sunrise, though.

My Garmin's not let me upload all week. Reset, hard reset, etc.  Nothing. I keep getting a message saying I need to "format the disk before I can use it," which will delete all my data. I did that and the next day I get the same message. Hmmm....

Looking forward (presumably) to hearing from our new governor today. I'll leave it at that.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Joe-good training plan. I miss seeing all the Boston trainers doing their miles while I’m down south, but I don’t miss the cold weather.

3 miles along the bay in sunny high 60’s this morning.

spacityrunner

8 miles on some pretty knarly trails this morning. It isn't called the death loop for nothing!! I survived. And I am very pleased with my overall pace. Of course that downhill road mile at the end helped.  We are having some very spring like weather here.  Made for a pleasant morning run!

Trails Rock!

...mornin'....

59-degrees here

did 50-min HH at soccerfields,

1-lb boots

(better laces that don't untie as easy so I don't have to bend down)

and 5-lb hand weights

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks for the great recap Steve!!

Sounds like some of the ouchies are healing!!

Wildchild - that looks like a gorgeous place to run!!

I volunteered at the Fudgcice 5k today instead of running - I was a little nervous about testing out my knee in the frigid cold and have it start hurting half way thru. It was frigid out there at the registration table and finish line, but it was Sole Sister Day at the Fudgcicle so it was a lot of fun seeing everyone!!

At the gym - 15 minutes arc trainer, 2.6 miles run/walk with no pain on the treadmill, 15 minute spin bike then some core work and foam rolling!!

Hopefully this really is just an ITB inflammation/irritation and will keep improving!!

Happy Ground Hog Day!! Bring on Spring!!

denise

Dave59

After a week off I am feeling better.

5.06 miles. 33° and overcast but the sun is starting to come out now.  Supposed to get up in the 50's and then 60's the next few days after that. I scraped 1-inch of slush off our sidewalk and porch, neither of which will get any sun for a few more weeks at least.  I hope it will help the areas dry out quicker because I'd like to sit out there later today and then tomorrow and enjoy the warm-up.

I am for now at least going to switch to every other day runs and the off days will not be aerobic. I think I worked-out into my way into last week's feeling like I couldn't move.  I am now feeling better and even working better at my job.  I had a software install last night and another early this morning and they were a breeze.

evanflein

Glad you're feeling better, Dave. Sometimes backing off is just what we need (not that some of us are very good at that...).

Probably a good plan for the race today, Deez. Always need more help, right?

Joe, that reminds me of when I first started training for marathons. I used the Higdon plans, started with beginner for my first one and had an excellent experience. Moved up to intermediate, and then just sort of internalized the plans I guess (for lack of a better term). Now, it seems weather, conditions, work, life in general just get in the way of following a formal plan, at least in the winter. For my marathons, I just try to work back from race day, build in a 2 week taper, and figure out the long runs from there. Fill in the weeks with whatever I might need for the particular race, with amount of hills usually being the deciding factor. So, I guess I sort of balance out you and Mike following such detailed plans. Smile

Speaking of which, that means this weekend should include a good downhill run that I'll do today, and a long run of 17-18 tomorrow. That'll have some rolling hills, but doing the first third of last week's long run on that steep downhill pretty much laid me up for most of last week. So this week I'll break them up. Live and learn, right?

Waiting for it to warm up to -5° so will go out early this afternoon. My run will start at the top of Ester Dome, where it might be windy but should be warmer. At least the sun will be shining brightly all day!

SteveP

Fly By

SteveP

C-R

Great pics Steve.

Hope the weather doesn't impact your training Joe.

Well after being in Minneapolis for work this week I am now in Nashville for kiddos Invitational Indoor track meet. So I ran outside in shorts and a t-shirt. Oh my. from -52 to 53 (and climbing) in less than 3 days. Wow. So fun to get outdoors.

Enjoy the day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pfriese

Great pics Steve!

An easy 6 mile run to the fire station & back for me this afternoon in a breezy, humid, almost spring-like day.

Paul

Great pics, Steve!  The grandkiddo's smile says it all.  And that's alotta snow!

Dave - Happy you're feeling better.

.75 miles this a.m., with about 15 min upper body ST, 4 x 30 sec planks, and (so far) one set of PT exercises and one 2-min set of 4" step ups.  My butt was sore this morning from yesterday's step ups.

The Clam Beach Run runners lucked out today.  The weather was supposed to be horrible, but so far it's been beautiful.

. . . . that's about it for now . . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

Good day folks! Joe- your training is going so well. I too always stress when I needed to have some kind of mid-week long run, but I guess you just find a way.

Awesome snow tunnel SteveP! That’s a lot of snow 😲

Dave- glad you’re feeling better after some rest. Take it easy-ish for sure.

Karen- nice run.

I ran ran outside for the first time in 2 weeks 🙌🏻 Drove over to the Lakefront Trail which is plowed and salted better than most streets. Not even any puddles! Mid-30’s and cloudy, and breezy (in both directions). Ran 7.4 easy miles, from 4600 north down to 2100 north and back. Temps now into the 40’s so I’m hoping that some substantial melting happens on my neighborhood streets.

Anne