Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.11.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I've got, got, got no time this morning. I had a 2.5 hr. meeting last night, and I have another meeting at 8 this morning that I still have to do a little prep for. So this is just a brief walk-by.

I woke at 3 this morning, failed miserably at getting back to sleep, got up at 3:40, and was out the door about 12 minutes later. I went 8.1 RW miles, and saw a fool moon (through drifting clouds), a bit of pre-sunrise, 7 cars, 3 runners, and 2 wild turkeys who made me wait while they sauntered as slowly as possible across the road.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

You definitely get a pass, Jay!

5.1 miles through the streets of Birmingham, Michigan.  What a nice area!  Puddles and a few small rain drops.  45 degrees.  Not used to that temperature right now........  Got it done.  Stayed at a very elegant hotel- the Townsend.  If someone else is paying for you, I would highly recommend it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--I could never survive your insomnia. If I don't get 7 hours, I'm useless.

Leslie--yay for walking!

2cat--don't know if that was for me or Dave but politics is a part of life. Not to worry, though; nothing too serious. These days, especially, you've got to laugh to keep from crying.

Speaking of laughing, I miss TW.  Where is he?

Holly--yeah, schools are still trying to figure out the balance with social media.  Sounds like your DD's school is erring on the side of coming down hard.  Not sure that's sustainable over time. Finer distinctions need to be made.

Starr--beware the geese!

Egads, TWO hockey games tonight.  Will it be over then?

Yes; it's over. Completely over. Done. Finished. End of story.

After coming back and playing well for 2 1/3 games, I let myself believe the Caps might be able to do it this year, only to be crushed...again. This was the "now or never" year. They need to shake things up and will be a very different team next year with some re-building to do after free agency. Maybe not having expectations so high will be good for them. Maybe they'll be younger and grittier and play with a greater sense of urgency and maybe they'll.....    Nah, not gonna happen. I expect mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Sigh.

Sad to see Edmonton go down, too, though they have a great future.  I expect an Anaheim - Pittsburgh final with the Pens repeating.

Thunder was rumbling as my alarm went off this morning. Rain was pouring on the skylight.  Unless it lets up later, it'll be a rest day with some core work.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

2cat--don't know if that was for me or Dave but politics is a part of life. Not to worry, though; nothing too serious. These days, especially, you've got to laugh to keep from crying.

Yes; it's over. Completely over. Done. Finished. End of story.

I hit the gym this morning for a workout. Lots of issues at work so it did me good to start the day off with some anxiety control.  Glad I stayed home to work today. The office would be tough.

I stayed home mainly because the annual condo meeting is tonight where new board members are selected.  I like to try and be a good citizen and show up.  I also don't want to be volunteered for anything in my absence.   If I went to the office, I'd have to rush back and skip the gym workout that I usually do after office days and I didn't want to do that.

Must have been you Tramps  because my statement wasn't political or an attempt to change anyone's opinion. I know from Facebook that is not possible. My statement was in regards to the amazing way everyone switched opinions on something in an instant. It was side related to politics I guess but not meant to be a comment on politics because I know that is frowned upon in the daily.

Last night I sat on the porch reading "The Forgotten" by David Baldacci until it was too dark to see the words. Then I came in and watched some hockey and some of Midsomer Murders on Netflix. (It is news avoidance therapy.)

No one left to cheer for in the playoffs.  I guess I'll go for Ottawa.  Anyone but Pittsburgh now.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I have an image stuck in my head of a single-file line of  7 cars, 3 runners, and 2 wild turkeys, crossing a road while Jay waits patiently.

Sorry, Tramps.  I take full responsibility for the loss.  I should have known better to start rooting for a team I wanted to win.

I'm at the airport.  Have I ever told you how much I hate flying?  It's been nice knowing you all.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Belated RR for the Invest in Yourself 5K:

A busy week as we drove out to Omaha and back (1700 miles) to attend a weekend event that was a 60th birthday gift for my DW. But it also meant that after the big day of meetings on Saturday, I could sign up for the related 5K on Sunday morning. Compared to what was still coming down back home in Michigan, the weather was stunning: high 50s and sunny for the race, rising to high 70s that afternoon. My DW even made the sacrifice of getting up earlier than her usual to accompany me back downtown for the race, which started down near the river.

Geico was one of the sponsors, so we found this "race official" beforehand. Another sponsor was Brooks, and we both bought a pair of limited-edition Ghost 9 shoes the day before. I then violated a rule of racing by wearing the shoes for the first time in the race, but there was no harm done. (Note to RR Police: The above photo constitutes my fashion report.)

There were about 2000 people at the starting line, and it was truly an international field with runners from Asia and Europe present. The course was just through downtown Omaha, and even though I couldn't label it as "hilly," the first two miles were mostly a steady incline as we move away from the river, followed by a downhill final mile. My splits were on the order of 9:15, 9:10, and 8:38, which illustrates it perfectly. I was a bit disappointed in my 28:11, but with our hectic schedule and especially the meals we were able to get, I wasn't that surprised.

In any case, I was 2nd out of 24 in my AG and am sure I could not have caught the winner even on a good day. It was a really large field for the 70-74 AG, but in truth this was a combo run/walk and I was probably competing with a small subset. It was a great day for a 5K and we continued to talk about it as we headed back to our hotel to shower, pack and leave for home.

This is me with my friend Leo, who also showed up out there and took 2nd in the 75-79 AG. So a good day for Rochester Hills!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...thanks for remembering me guys......

================

I'm back last night,,,,,,,,went from 4-AM to 5-30PM yesterday

not the vacation we planned,

but

had fun anyway,

,,,,,,,,,3-days of continuous 40-mile an hour winds, and YES you actually COULD go Insane from that

then

a 20-degree temp increase and every Friggin' Skeeter in the state hatched simultaneously

then

back into the 50's

more info later,

but

just Recovering today, Back at it Tomorrow

............good Running to Ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunchtime.

Our regional sales/technical meeting wrapped up (only 15 mins late today), so its back to my regular routine for a few days.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - congrats on your 2nd AG placement, and to your friend as well.  Love the pics!

TomWhite - where were you?

Jay - are wild turkeys like geese in temperament?

6 miles for me on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Hello everybody!

I have an image stuck in my head of a single-file line of  7 cars, 3 runners, and 2 wild turkeys, crossing a road while Jay waits patiently.

Sorry, Tramps.  I take full responsibility for the loss.  I should have known better to start rooting for a team I wanted to win.

I'm at the airport.  Have I ever told you how much I hate flying?  It's been nice knowing you all.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

: D

yay tw is back!  sorry about the conditions.    ugh.

Doug too.... congrats on your 5K!    Happy bd to your dw.     What a great picture.   You two are very cute.    So was the race director!

just a walk & a lot of pt stuff this morning.  figuring out how to do it right is a challenge.

RunnersKSA, waving to you from Ann Arbor!

TomWhite - where were you?

.....visiting CrazyBrother in Idaho........

but

he was like that BEFORE the Wind Thing

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Yes, turkeys can be mean and obstinate and terrorizing and, and, and . . . .

Roch - Congrats!  And love the pics.  BTW, did the gecko tell ya if he's British or Australian?

TW - The Hub turned down a job last week because as soon as he stepped into the backyard he was besieged by mosquitoes.  Yuck.

I never got in trouble in school, but my brother quite often.  And since we lived in a small town and our schools were small, some of the teachers in high school thought I'd be following in his footsteps.  My first day of science class/first day of 9th grade, the teacher was calling roll, came to my name, and looked down at me and pointed his finger at me saying, "I know if you mess up, all I have to do is call your mother and she'll be here immediately."  All I had said was, "Here," when he called my name.  The teacher ended up being a jerk anyway.  If you didn't excel in science or weren't a tennis star (he coached the tennis team), you weren't worth his time.  Such is life in high school, though.

30 min of a walk/job combo this a.m.  Managed just a smidge over 2 miles.  I'm feeling some consequences, but oh well.  Tomorrow will be core/ST work.

Later, gators ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Ah school.

Where two of the senior staff, were friends with my dad ever since they were at school together.

I did not stand a chance with any sort of misbehaving.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - you mean there were actually more runners (4) than turkeys out at three-or-four a.m.?  that'd be like Erika running into someone else also running up there in the deep freeze in the middle of the winter.

thanks for the good taste in tempering the day's events with a little levity.

back to almost-normal for the morning fiver but, for some reason, the rain abated in the middle four miles.

No more late-blooming cherry blossoms for the picking but I did an amy on some of the ubiquitous Sitka roses there were not only everywhere I went in Erika-land days but also the household flower of Princess Masako over in Japan

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi, dg.  Waving back- now at DTW waiting for my plane.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth