Masters Running

Weekly Newbies starting 1/15 (Read 521 times)

Me

Good morning Everyone, 7 miles for me this morning. It was cold and windy this morning when I headed out. I had to come back in, make some wardrobe adjustments, then a route adjustment. However, with all of that, I had a really good run. I felt nice and relaxed the whole way. They are talking about the possibility of snow in Columbus GA. I'm sure my son that lives there will love that. LOL. Hugs to everyone on the DL. Kevin, I hope you made it home OK. I know when it snows in places where they don't get much, it can be pretty dangerous on the road. Take care everyone, Mike
      Hi, everybody, I've been lurking a lot the past few days, but haven't had a whole lot to report, so have been keeping quiet - no small feat for me! Jem - yep, that pace bunny's quite a motivator. I needed to run 4.1 today to catch up to it. Hoped to run 7 or maybe even 8 to take advantage of the relative warm before tomorrow's predicted even-colder front, but I was overdressed for 30 degrees and no wind, quads felt a little tight, and lungs/sinuses felt a little full. I had totally forgotten about the pace bunny, but sure enough, I called it a day at exactly 4.1 miles! Of course, the bunny runs continually at a constant pace, so I'm already 0.3 behind the little critter! A totally weird thing for me today - I couldn't seem to slow down! I turned in the fastest (turtle) pace that I've run since last summer without even really trying for speed. That's another reason I cut the run short - figured it would be a bad plan to run long-ish and fast-ish at the same time. I've only lost three pounds since the diet started two weeks ago, but I think the healthy eating may already be having a positive effect on my running. Whatever the reason, I'm taking it! Smile Going to pull out my heaviest tights and as-yet-unworn balakava tomorrow to run a few miles in the 20-something-degree cold just to prove that I can. And to catch up with the rabbit! Wink Got fitted for my orthotics yesterday. Waiting 2-3 weeks to get them is going to seem like forever. I can't wait!!! Productive rehab and speedy recovery to everyone with aches and pains. Keep warm, everybody. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

Mike, I'm impressed! Is it as cold there as it is here? you're over the blahs? Eliz, good call. I think any of us that are inury prone should be careful about that bunny. that's why I'm not even thinking about doing it, although it sounds like fun in a way. First time I ran in my balaclava I scared someone I've seen early morning for several years, was all in black, with a 'face mask', she & her little poodle zoomed past me. Wink. I hope your orthotics help. congrats on your dieting efforts. Laurie, I got a foam roller yesterday at Dick's. It was red, I don't know if says how dense it is... I wondered about that a little ... but the one my pt suggested was out of stock & on long term backorder at the local hospital's Advanced Medical place. I think that's what it's called, anyway. So you might want to check a medical supply place, (I wanted 2', & white). The one at Dick's was $24.?? 18", & included a decent dvd on how to use it, I think that was worthwhile. it seems like it should be obvious, but there are some useful ideas in there. Also a section on nutrition. cool link, Jem! hi to you, & to everybody else.

Me

Hey Debbie, I am feeling much better. I took yesterday off, and after taking care of a few things, I layed around the house. Plus I've been going to bed early. So, today I felt like I could throw another mile on. It sounds like you are feeling a little better too. Eliz, Congrats on your fast time. Is'nt that exciting? I had an interesting phone conversation with my younger brother. It seems that this last time that my son was oversees, he worked with some guys that were in my brother's unit back in the '90s. My brother ran into one of them the other day and received a glowing report about how well my son is doing and what a great soldier he is. He called me and passed on the report to me. Although I'm glad that he is home, I'm busting with pride. Talk to y'all later Mike
            Eliz, woo hoo to you! Only 3 pounds? That's fantastic. And your running is going so well! Have fun tomorrow on your cold run. Smile Mike, so pleased about your son - you've got a lot to be proud about! Excellent run, too. Life is good, huh? I had to stop at home and adjust my clothes today, too. Well, really I had to make a pit stop, so I took advantage and removed my extra jersey. It was 33F here, supposed to be much colder tomorrow, but that's my regular rest day so I won't be dealing with that. 3.75 miles for me, my second 20-mile week in a row. Deb, thanks for the cautions. I get it in my head that I want to follow a plan, and that can lead to some bad decisions. I still have some mild but chronic problems with my achilles, so I really need to be smart and monitor that as I try to keep going with the 20 miles/week plan. I know how badly you all want to run here, because I know for me it feels like a necessity, for my mental and physical health. Hey to all and have a nice weekend. Cool
            Rindaroo

Mike - how cool about your son, and you should be very proud!! glad you are feeling better. Eliz - can't slow yourself down, hmmm sounds like you're improving.. thats always a great feeling to me, but the flip side it makes it hard to go for long runs that way. Deb - foam roller sounds like a good idea! I know the ones they used in PT for me, were awesome on the spine. I also here it is wonderful for ITB problems & I'm sure many other things. I should probably consider one too. I got a treadmill run in just now - 3.50 miles today total with the walking - 1 mile walk warmup, 2.25 miles running straight through - woohoo! & .25 walk cooldown.. the running was weird first .5 mile at 3.8 I felt like I was gonna puke, my stomach hurt so bad... next .5 mile at 3.8 felt good, next .5 I increased to 3.9, and the next .5 I increased to 4.0, and then .25 was back down to 3.8.. I think this is partly IBS & too much stress in the last month (which I take in the stomach) & also the 3.8 speed was too slow to get enough air in to breathe well. 3.9 & 4.0 felt much better, but then I was warmed up by then. So, not too sure what this all means.. but I'm trying to sort it all out.

Me

Good afternoon Everyone, Deb, I hope the roller works. It sounds like you are making some good progress. laurie, How are you doing? How's the ITBS? Which is different from Rinda's IBS. (Right?) Jem, Rinda, Deb, Laurie and everyone else, For goodness sakes take it easy. be careful out there. I had a great run today. I waited until it warmed up a little, like to 13 degrees, to go for my run. The sun was out and I felt great. I put in 6 miles today. I think I am closing in on my highest mileage month to date. talk to y'all later Mike
                Rindaroo

Mike - 13 degrees brrrrr.... Yes IBS is stomach/intestines, but ITBS is leg related, right? Thanks, you are right to say take it easy, I almost did myself in yesterday Sad but I learned from it & have moved on. After major effects from yesterdays run, my head is back in the right place. I need to listen to myself when I'm talking to Debbie - oy! Anyway, I vacuumed & took some Singulair before I ran today, and felt much better. I only did 2 miles, because I needed to take it easy, 1 walking, 1 running at 3.8
                    "figured it would be a bad plan to run long-ish and fast-ish at the same time. I've only lost three pounds since the diet started two weeks ago" Eliz, 3 pounds in 2 weeks is how you want to lose weight. Slow and steady. I agree, your long runs should be slower than your short runs. What is an orthotic and what is it supposed to do for you? Mike, so is your son back in the US? Deb. I need to join you on the foam roller investment. It does wonders for me at PT. How much longer do you have to wait before you get back to running? Linda, it could have been something you ate too that upset your stomach. I found some ITB stretches on the web last night. Did them and ended up with stabbing pain in my leg later that night. Maybe I should just stick to the stretches my Physical therapist gives me. When I am done with each appointment my leg feels great. I'm not too bummed over the non running. I enjoy the gym and its sooo cold out this days. I was jealous of runners in Boston last week. We went to the musuem of science there on a balmy Sat and there were hundreds of runners along the Charles river. Both Kim and I were jealous but were semi happy with our gym workouts. Hopefully we will both be on the road soon. I found a 12 mile trail race in April that Kim and I want to be ready for. Its called the Seven Sisters run. Named for the seven peaks it crosses out and back on a single track trail. Sounds awesome! Kudos to the folks doing great, Lots of rest to the injured and DL folks. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Linda, IBS on top of your breathing issues. You are a trooper. Laurie, Yes, David is back in the States. He got back about a week ago. I am so glad this (his fifith) deployment is over. He was talking about running in the Va Beach RNR half marathon this year but when we talked about it more he realized that he will be back overseas again. Your April race sounds nice. Where is it? It sounds like it's in some mountains somewhere. Being the government worker that I am, I have tomorrow off. So, it will be a rest day X2. Cheers, Mike
                        Laurie - orthotics are little inserts you put in your shoes to help with, well, deformities sounds a bit extreme . . . . uh, irregularities in your foot? In my case, they're to support my arches. This time last year I had a severe problem with my gait - I would turn my feet out each time I landed. Destroyed shoes in less than 100 miles and didn't make my feet of legs feel very good either. Would probably have quit running then if not for the amazing owner of the running store referring me to an even more amazing podiatrist. I've been using SuperFeet (non-custom orthotics) with moleskin arch supports and doing quad and ankle strengthening for a year. It's working, and podiatrist agreed that custom orthotics would be a logical next step. Folks I've talked to here at RA who have them say they've totally changed their running for the better, so I'm hopeful. Really weird day today. I woke up feeling like I was getting the flu AND a cold or sinus infection. Just lazed around all morning and really had to drag myself to shower and get dressed to drive to chamber choir rehearsal. The instant I got outside, I started to feel better, and I drove the 20+ miles with the car window down slightly because I felt like I needed fresh air. Got to wondering whether there was carbon monoxide in my house. (Drama queen? Not me!) Bought a monitor on the way home and all's well in the house. I'm calling a new doctor tomorrow to finally deal with this sinus infection that's been hanging around way too long. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings all. Busy celebrating the Pat's big win today Big grin Mostly too busy to even lurk this weekend. Got back from VA without any problem on Friday morning. Now I've finished packing for 4 fun filled days in Idaho (again) Actually 2 days of travel and 2 days of work. Outside, of course. It feels like I've got an incredible amount of stuff for such a short time, but insulated coveralls and heavy-duty boots take up a lot of space. Supposed to be around 0 Tuesday morning when we get to site with a high of 15. Balmy Wink in preparation I went out for a run in about 23 D. I think I under-dressed a little. should have worn a real hat instead of my baseball hat. also should have had a little heavier shirt. Took quite a while to thaw out when I got back. 3 miles in 28:45 with no knee ache, so positive. Good runs for Mike, Jem, and Eliz. Linda, good restraint and still good results. Hope to keep in touch while I'm away. just about bedtime, 4:15 comes very early tomorrow. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Good morning Everyone, 4 miles for me this snowy morning. Eliz, I hope you are feeling better. Hello Everyone else, I hope you are all feeling better too. Cheers Mike
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

4.5 miles today. 34 degrees, which sounds OK,, but there was a strong wind. I'm glad someone on RA suggested running INTO the wind at the beginning - that's the only thing that saved me. It was a hard run, but I did it! Teresa
                              Rindaroo

Teresa - glad you survived the run.. sounds pretty cold to me. 3.25 miles on the treadmill tonight, ran 2 miles straight & 1 mile walk w/u, .25 walk c/d It felt much, much better tonight Smile