Masters Running

Rehab Thread - Starting it up again (Read 856 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

ps - OM - you always have excellent advice.  It must come from the years of body understanding achieved through yoga.  Does that make sense?

Thanks... though I always figured it was because I have so much experience being injured! Wink

I actually had a conversation with my physical therapist today (of course I did) about my particular sense of body awareness. I was lying on my back and he was carefully stretching my arm up over my head, then back down again, subtly changing the angle each time. At one point I made a cringing face and he stopped the movement, asking what was up. I told him I felt "bone on bone" by my shoulder joint and he immediately knew what I meant, as well as confirming to me that how he was moving my arm must've caused that. A little bit later, I grimaced again and as usual, he asked me where the pain was. I couldn't tell him. All I knew was that it felt "off", and "wrong", but I just couldn't identify the source of the pain, nor the "flavor" of it. To which he said, "That must really frustrate you not to know, right?" I answered, "Yeah, almost worse than the pain itself!" And now I'm thinking, this is probably how the rest of the world feels all the time!

Rock climbing is tougher on the legs than the arms, and that means you're doing it right. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Don't know how I know that, considering I've never gone rock climbing, but yeah, from a body-feel standpoint that "feels" that it would make sense.

Thanks PBJ, what injury are you rehabbing from? Hopefully it goes quick. A month is really a drop in the pan. Youre smart to wait it out.

OM, thanks you crack me up. Hows things?

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

..yep,

OM has a Great way of putting things into perspective.....

=======

Year-3 as a StreetVirgin

.......have put off  for the 2nd week

a streetrun

not sure if it's

TheLeg

or

if I think I'll look Silly out there...........what bothers me is Stuff like that NEVER has bothered me.

time to re-read

some of my Newbie Posts over at CR

maybe

I said something THEN

I can use NOW

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...Amazingly, this thing was Still in Existence

http://community.active.com/thread/17909?start=0&tstart=0

I'll post it here

so I can find it easier

Tom, you crack me up. I cant get that link to work. darn. Why did you put it off again?

Starting first trial run tomorrow. MIght make up my own return to run program or use the old one. Either way its going to be on a flat soft surface.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Hows everyone doing?

First run was sunday. A wimpy 1 mile run/walk with mostly walking. Leg was fine though. Slight pain and stiffness the day after.

20 min run/walk yesterday. I felt the leg. I cant hardly call it pain but it did feel different than the healthy left leg. Slight pain and stiffness today.

Taking it a day at a time.

Laurie

...you can always feel it laurie//........but Not Hurting is a GOOD THING

planning

on my

1st streetrun

of the year tomorrow..........if this works, the rest will go easier.

if not, I can move it to the Soccer Fields in June when school gets out.

How'd your street run go? Instead of waiting til june for school to let out try other soft surfaces. Do you have trails around there? Or a local soccer park.

First 3 days went well. I felt a slight bit of pain starting my 3rd run. By the end of the run it was gone. Leg was fine. Today it was stiff and sore. But that happens most days. I am hyper aware.

Laurie

...streetrun went really well,

unfortunately I had Flared the Leg Up last week doing extra push-mowing

with my GasMower

decided

that Compression Shorts after ANY LegWork

is the key to avoiding one

also

, I forgot to Stretch after the mow,

since

I use a ReelMower after the ''seed grass'' goes away The Leg likes that better.

have you tried Compression Shorts post-Run??

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

10.5 miles yesterday. Easy 11:45 pace. Today 20 yards. Knee pain. Will not run again until 4/15. Boston maybe a limp feast.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sorry you had to join us here Clay. What happened to your knee? Hopefully you will be up for boston. Daughter and I will be there cheering you on. We go every year.

Tom, how tight do compression shorts have to be to get the job done? I have a few pair but they are wimpy. Snug but not tight. Do you have any pictures? Reel mowers are a workout. I liked mine a lot for that reason. Plus less noise made it easier to listen to an ipod. But it did a poor cut and had to be cross cut or remowed in a few days. So I got rid of it. Still no ride on for me!

Day 4 went well. No pain. Stiff and sore as usual today but worked that out.

Laurie

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sorry you had to join us here Clay. What happened to your knee? Hopefully you will be up for boston. Daughter and I will be there cheering you on. We go every year.

Tom, how tight do compression shorts have to be to get the job done? I have a few pair but they are wimpy. Snug but not tight. Do you have any pictures? Reel mowers are a workout. I liked mine a lot for that reason. Plus less noise made it easier to listen to an ipod. But it did a poor cut and had to be cross cut or remowed in a few days. So I got rid of it. Still no ride on for me!

Day 4 went well. No pain. Stiff and sore as usual today but worked that out.

Laurie

Twisted the knee at a trail race February 2011.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

[[[ runnerclay ]]]

.......are you getting any work-outs in??

=====

.laurie//......for a while

I was wearing 3-pairs of wimpy Compression Shorts at the same time,

which

it tends to have a LaxativeEffect....

the one's

I've got now are pretty price-y

but

have dodged the CrampsFromHellBullet using them

http://www.dme-direct.com/hip-stabilizer-sully-hip-s-port

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13413-5-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html

here's Runners World Expert Burfoot on ReHabing for

specific injuries

this guy is good

Clay, are you running or staying off of it?

Tom, Ouch! As in $131 ouch. I read pricey and thought $20 boy was I wrong. Those look like torture devices anyhow. I have 2 pair of tight compression shorts sitting in my drawer now. But they bring back memories of the newly injured leg and all the killer pain. I hate even looking at them.

Had a slightly painful run 3 days ago. Decided I needed more than 1 day between runs. Took 2 off and went back out there today. No pain or even sensation of leg being 'different' at all!! Hey possibly after 4 years in rehab I am finally getting the hang of this.

I have a pinched nerve in my left shoulder. One week now. I have decided to rest it until pain is gone. No swimming, climbing or p90x arm exercises. I learn slowly and the hard way.

Laurie