Masters Running

Rehab Thread - Starting it up again (Read 856 times)

Rindaroo

Made it to the gym again this morning - 30 minutes of 6/2's again & some weights.  Feeling  good Smile 

TW- breathing problems are a thing of the past.  No issues at all Big grin  Just my neck & hips, so trying to work on my muscles too.

...Good//////

...........got any good hip stretches to share?????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

PBJ, I think being sensitive, even hypersensitive, about our injury is a good thing. Knowing whats pain, soreness, stiffness and just an uncomfortable feeling is important. The 2nd part of that is knowing what to do about our pain, etc. I ask myself, 'is this pain telling me to stop running or is it the usual soreness/stiffness that I get the first mile?'. Be really in tune with your injury so not to risk further injury. I learned this lesson the hard way over 4 years of rehabbing the same injury.

Linda, Youre probably right about the shoulder, neck, hip issue and strengthening them all is a good thing. I started p09x workouts (combo of aerobic and resistance training) about a year and a half ago. The strengthening really really helps. I feel strong muscles helping me in all facets of life. Its like having strong muscles affects every movement you make. Yoga is doing the same thing for me. I found that i need daily forward bends to workout the stiffness in my hips. I have this Gaiam 10 minute forward bend routine that does wonders.

Tom, I have tons of glute, and hamstring stretches. I recommend getting a copy of the p90x stretching program or the Gaiam yoga I mentioned above. Mine is called AM Yoga. The DVD is fairly cheap and it has 5 or so different routines on it. Each about 10 minutes long.

My leg is doing much better. I now take extra days off from running if I feel something not quite right. Not quite right meaning any tightness, soreness or pain other than mild. Its hard to explain. So basically anything that feels like I should take extra days off, I do. And I start each run off with 30 mins of stationary biking. A 5 min warmup just doesnt cut it for these old stiff hamstrings. Plus this way I get a full hour of cardio. 30 min stationary bike and 30 min run.

I am up to 18 min run, 3 min walk, repeat. And I feel like I can add miles anytime now. But I have 4 more days with the program before I add miles. Doing it the safe way this time.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Long time lurker,1st time poster.Any advise on Patellar Tendonitis? I have been doing rehabiitation excercises,plus lots of time off but every time I try to start back running I can only get 3 easy and short runs in and the pain is back! Have been going through this routine since Jan.

Rindaroo

TW - The biggest thing that helps me is a Pilates DVD I have.  I just do the 20 minutes Express program, and it really stretches out the neck, spine, hips - all seem connected for me. 

Laurie - my muscles are pretty weak, I think that would be a little rough for me. And I have to be careful of that pinched nerve problem still..  But I'm doing the Pilates DVD and I do weight macihines at the gym, hips, triceps, hamstrings, abs, arm bicycle machine.  Only a couple of times a week do i get to the gym though, so probably should do some at home too.  Good to hear you're figuring out what's right for your body Smile 

Today I went out for an unmiled, untimed run through town.  I ran quite a bit, walked when I needed to.  And wow, full stride running, bounce in my step a bit even.. very cool Smile  yeah, mentally is better too than it was earlier this week.  Thanks guys on the reminder about running!  I needed it.

runr nut, my daughter has been dealing with knee issues for 4 years now. She had to strengthen her quads first. Now she tapes before every run with kinesio tape. Also short strides might help too.

Linda, any strengthening helps. Yoga is great for that. remember to keep adding weight or resistance to keep building your strength. 

Tom, how are you doing?

I am up to 3 miles run/walk and feel like I can add miles anytime now. But I have 3 more days of the return to run program so I have to take it easy. I have the Run For Your Lives this weekend in Amesbury. 3 mile run and obstacle course while being chased by zombies. Hopefully I come back alive.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

...runr//...are you on SoftSurfaces??

we all agree, it's VERY frustrating.

=======

YAY laurie//.........NoPain

YAY RIN//........you TimeRunner You.......nice job

.........got bummed out by walking 8-blocks on conrete twice while in Memphis.

crap.

hip was fried.

.............poolrun tues, hiking wed, xbike standing today........PainFree

ironically

everything but running helps,

so

let's just settle for Sunday Runs

for now.

PLUGG  ON///////

Tom, I found a workout that works out the pain after a day like  that. Aclually its two workouts. A half hour on the stationary bike to warm up the leg muscles. Then a short yoga forward bends routine. It really works out the tightness in the hip muscles.

I am up to 3 miles now and think I can safely start adding miles slowly with walk breaks. my leg has good days and bad days.

Hows everyone else?

Laurie

I took some wise advice and ran Linda style today. No watch. No times. Walked when I felt like it. Not sure how far it was but I will guess at 3.5. Best way to run. Totally enjoyable.

Hip is just a tad sore. Not too bad. I have come to the conclusion that I have tight adductors and weak glutes. My leg tends to turn inward towards the center of my body. Hence the tight adductors and weak abductors. Going to see if a quick trip to the weight room before each swim to work on hip strengthening might help.

How is everyone?

Laurie

Tom,nothing but dirt roads and soft shoulders around here! Running every other day which seems to be working out ok,doing 5 miles @ 8 min.pace each time.

Tsunami,have to get some more info on the tape.Thanks for the input!

..nice going runr//..............always have a PlanB in reserve.......

good thinking laurie

======

managed to catch a cold, so no work-outs since Tuesday

naturally

that made me PainFree for my Physical Thurs.........doc said I was in the best shape he had ever seen a 62-year old.

I then told him

I wanted to do my next StressTest with the RacingCrutches.

he seemed intrigued.

will start back

with a poolrun Saturday, followed by ReelMowing and try a trailrun Sunday.

runr, is it the kinesio tape youre talking about? My daughter buys hers online or from a local physical therapist. There are different taping patterns too. Find the one that works for you. My daughter got help with that from her physical therapist.

Tom, hope your well soon. Take it easy. HOpe your stress test goes well. How could it not? Youre a runner.

LInda, any word?

Another Purist run last night around the res. I do know the length since I mapped it out long ago. 3.5 miles. No idea what my time was. Leg was a tad sore. Not bad enough to walk or stop though. Got to see the new geese babies and ran right next to a heron. Nice.

Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - I stopped running again!  This time work stress..  big time, like have to find a new job.  Well I'm committing to myself to start up again next week...  I just need to catch a break with all this personal stuff.

Linda, i am right there with ya on the job stress. Do you have a plan for getting a new job? I am working my plan now. Running will help a lot. If it werent for running i would be a nut case. Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - okay overwhelmed again...   jeez!  I am making progress but running stopped again.  I am going to get out there this weekend for sure though.   My job... well I'm lucky I still have one.  Let's just say I need to find another one, before my luck runs out.  I can tell you more in an email, not here.   A lot is going on right now.  When it rains, it pours..