Masters Running

Happy Weds Feb 17th Runs and workouts...and snow (yuck) (Read 403 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone - Again, I can read what all of you good folk are doing but have a super hard time replying. I have a new lap top picked out, and I am just waiting for my new job to start before I make the purchase. Construction of the shop is behind because of the weather, but I finally go to this new town this morning to pick out my Apartment where I will be staying during the week working, then home on the weekends. Opening of the new shop must be getting awfully close, if I am picking out a place to stay......YEAH, I am ready!!!! -------My running has been going greta, but on a dreadmill due to soooooo much snow - ice - and slush, that it is near impossible to run outside. It is not the temps what so ever, but simply the footing and trying to run a decent pace and NOT fall down....at least on a treadmill I can run a nice steady pace without all the slipping. Mon night was a record for me on a TM with around 11 miles in 90 minutes....don't really know if I am really proud of that at all really (smiles) Then had 7 miles last night in an hour which felt a little less boring........OK, good looking female eye candy made the TM run better I must admit -------Hope everyone has a Great Hump Day, and God Bless All -----TimBo -------PS: since I am stuck on a TM for a while because of the conditions, and from what I think I read here at some point, should I have the TM set at a 1.0 incline to better simulate outside running?....seems like I heard that before. I had to chuckle after my 11 mile run on the TM Mon night, because when I was done the machine was set at a -2.0 decline which I thought I felt like I was running down hill the whole way, and my quads thanked me the next day....more like a grumble....silly me for not paying attention.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You know it is going to be a greta day when TimBo starts us off!!    Sounds like the beginning of your job is growing ever so close and I am so happy for you!    As for the treadmill - yes 1.0 is supposed to simulate outdoor running.

Rest day.   I was awake at 3:30 and couldn't get to sleep - until 5  - so I caught about 45 minutes of zzzzzz's.    That is okay though, as I think I should just run every other day until I get my stamina back.   No sense injuring myself and missing the Tulip Run with Tag .... oh, and Steve too!  Big grin    Now off to the dentist for a cleaning.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning,

Steve, Tag looks awesome in the cape & would seem to be a hot dog for camera

Tim,  I've heard you should run the treadmill w/1.0 incline to remove excess pressure on the patella tendon

Mary,  thinking about tulips now is very nice but not easy

39 days to high school baseball season

Yaktrax trail run at 5:30 pm today

Get over the hump!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

It's nice to have TimBo posting.  Glad the job is getting close.

Thanks for all the comments and fun y'all poked at my Chili Pepper escapade.  I can assure you that's one mistake I'll never make again!  I'll post the recipe in a few days ... it has Dark Chocolate in it too.  Wish I coulda tasted it through all the heat.

I cooked a beef roast in the slow cooker yesterday.  It was amazing.  I used a recipe from the Slow Cooker thread.  Easy as can be.  I got the number of Chili Peppers right too (Zero).

Fartlek hills today.  12.25 miles total with 11 x 2 minutes at 10K pace, 1 minute jog recovery.  This one really well again.  Most of the fast parts were around 7:30 or so, several down in the 6's - probably downhills.  I included eight hills while I was doing the fartleks.  This really is a wimpy hill.  I have to figure out something harder here soon.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Hey,it must be Timbo Tuesday...no, wait....  Good to hear from you and very glad the prep for the new job is moving forward. 

Easy 5.1 @ 8:29 + core work

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

ChiliByll... looking very strong dude!

Hi Timbo!

Hit the roads at 4:30 am for a Half Marathon distance over hills that take your breath away (literally) in 2:05:14 (9:33 pace, AHR 153).

Then 2x24 pushups.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Timbo- great to see you starting the daily. Glad things are going well for you.

I have a lot of catching up to do, but that will come in time. My last trail run before Monday was in 19 degrees and snow. South Mountain in Arizona has been my new trail running place this week and DW and I are loving every minute of it.

Morning gang!

Timbo - great to see you at the top of the list, and hoping this becomes a regular occurrence!

Byll - your chili reminded me of my first chili-making attempt.  I made chili for a church potluck when I was a teenager.  The recipe called for 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and I thought cayenne powder was the same thing.  Obviously it was not, and my Dad and I were the only people at the potluck who could eat it - with steam issuing from our ears.

dg- enjoy the skiing - I'm totally envious.  I haven't been on skis for many years.  DH refuses to join me, the bum ;-).

enke - good to hear of another benefit for fish oil!  Glad it is working for you.

SteveP - Tag looks very handsome in his cape, and he obviously knows it too!

72 minutes on the elliptical this morning. It's getting harder to get my heart rate up, so I must be adapting.  Time to crank up the resistance again.  Core and weights on the agenda for lunch. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim – I didn’t even know you could set a TM at a negative number.  My TM’s lowest setting is 1.5.

Erika – always nice to hear those good reports from the teachers.

5 recovery miles for me today on a light new layer of snow and 24 degrees, that “sand on glass” kind of feeling, but I was in no hurry (ave pace 11:10).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good morning  everyone!!

Just a quick hi before I finally head off to Italy for a week. My Mom's 80th B'day is on Friday and I'm bringing her 2 grandsons as her B'day present..

..and I will be running the Verona Mararthon while there!!! Officially in after major intervention from Italian running friends from my hometown club..will have a few people to thank and  to take out for dinner ...

I'll be in the very back of the pack I'm sure, I find the MM spirit is a bit lacking in the races in the Old Country...people are too worried about competing versus having fun. Well that's not me!!, I've not been running very regularly recently but managed to take home a 5:34:24 on the  Call of the Wild 50K on Presidents day. Saw Dove out there, didn't get to run together though.

Happy Runs to all,

Francesca

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Timbo. Glad to hear everything is going well with your new job and your running.

Great run for Chef Bill today. Any recipe with dark chocolate in it I am in for!

Tempo run for me today. 2 mi wu @9:24 pace; 4 mi tempo run in 32:57 8:15 pace; 2 mi cd @9:24 pace. The goal for the tempo run was 8:12-8:33/mi pace. Actual splits were-8:17, 8:18, 8:13, 8:09. Felt strong all the way through.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Renee the dog

Hi Everybody!

Got 8 good miles in this morning (yea!).  Most were at marathon pace, but then Renee started lagging, so I had to take it easy. 

Tim, good luck as you start this next phase of your work life!  Transitions are always exciting!

dg, downhill skiing -- LOVE it. My favorite sport.  I live on a flat, pancake island.   Bayside and I were talking about possibly starting to ski again next year, when our younger is 4.  Possibly 2 weeks at a time.   Oh, and how are you looking for March 21??  To say my training is in the toilet is probably an overstatement. I think it's in the sewer outside, but am hoping for a rally of sorts this week and next.

Good runs to all yet to go out there today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hi Timbo!

Ciao, Francesa--have fun, such a special celebration.  Congrats on your run, too!

Still creaking along -- the skinned knees are healing but both knees are varying degrees of purplish bruise colors and the side pull is also coming along. 

Estoy muy ocupada aqui!

Enke--if the rosecia ever flares up, try Tree Tea Oil.  It's fairly strong, so I mix it with witch hazel.  I've had rosecia for decades and used to use prescription cream (metronidazole) but since finding the TTO, don't need it.

Tag should get Best in Show.  Frank is totally bummed--he had something on the whippet.

Perch, Happy BDay, belatedly.  Sounds as if it was a good one.  I love Woods Hole--I bet your brother does too.   Dive would appreciate it.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                            dg.

I just missed the morning cut-off.   Smile

Tim, that's great news.

ChiliBilli, what an awesome run!     Perch, you too!

I am impressed with all your cooking efforts.

Craneium, nice to see you!  

Thanks Sue.  How is your foot?

Walt, are you better yet???? ((( )))

Francesca that is so cool!!   Have a wonderful time.  

Mary my morning was a little like yours.   I've been waking at 12:30 or so every night, & staying awake for a long time.   And Sadie's lasix usually leads to mid-night trips out.   Anyway, I've been so tired.   I must have set my alarm for 3:45 pm instead of am.   I slept until 6:00!!        Scrambled to get out the door, had time at the gym for 4:23 miles, 9:28 pace.  ahr 163, max 174.     Going late meant that I saw different people.  I met a woman who is training for a half in May, that was kind of nice.  She's really excited about it.

Happy Days. 

mta, forgot to tell Tag that he looks mahvelous.

Aamos, I hope everything heals quickly.

Nono I was thinking about you re the skiing.   & your slideboard.   The little kids that I saw absolutely blew me away.   Just amazing.      Well.  once again our universes are strangely parallel.   I wonder if our trainings are having fun playing in the sewer together. ;-)    I was wondering how you were too, was going to write.  

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Lift, step, spin.

Nothin' special.