Masters Running

Thursday 1/21 Runs and Rests (Read 506 times)

Tramps

Hope all you left-coasters are hanging in there through this nasty weather.

Well after my run on Tuesday, I felt my hamstring tighten up quite a bit---which surprised me.  Not sure what’s going on there.  I decided to play it safe and took Wednesday off.  I also cut back today’s planned 12-miler to 10.  Just being safe.

10 miles total; middle 6 @ MP-ish 7:42. 

Have a good day!

Be safe. Be kind.

It must be Hamstring day.  No, not mine, but my Running Partner's.  He bailed on our Fartlek workout this morning during the warm up.  He said he was fine yesterday.  Maybe our tempo run on Tuesday got him.  I hope that wasn't it. 

Anyway, I continued on and ran 8.2 miles with 18 x (1 minute @ 8K pace, 1 minute jog recovery).  8K pace is about 7:30 pace or so.  I ran all of the repeats faster than that except for one that was up our only hill.  (How come I always hit that hill during the fast bits and not during the recovery bits?)

I don't think my Garmin liked keeping track of that many laps as it is giving me trouble now.  I'll see what happens later, but I may be calling Garmin Support.  This one is only about 6 months old. 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning guys. Some nice running this morning, even with sore body parts. Hope you can figure out what's ailing your Garmin, Bill. Is their tech support system pretty good?

7.5 miles at a 9:39 pace OUTSIDE WITH NO YAXTRAX today. Woo hoo! I even heard a couple of birds chirping. It's a balmy 21° with no wind - can spring be far away?

After 10 days of over-eating and drinking, my DH and I have started a detox/weight-loss program. I'd like to lose at least 5 pounds before my next half marathon in May. At my age, that's not an easy task. Any suggestions on ways to kick start a balky metabolism would be greatly appreciated.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps 7:42, MP'sh.. nice!

JLynne.... the sportscientist guys have a series on weight loss physiology going on right now.  Check this and the other psrts out.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/01/exercise-and-weight-loss-part-2.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Knee is rehabbing very quickly. 15 minutes spinning at high rpm (102, AHR 154) then 2 mile brisk walk with Tory and Sadie in 29:22 (14:41 pace) and the knee felt perfectly soreness free for all of it!  Still working on range of motion and quad strenthening.  Right now it feels better than pre-surgery (I guess that was the point).

..... and 1 x 21 pushups

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning,  gang!

{{{{Tramps hammie}}}} - hope it's just a twinge and nothing serious.

(((Byll's garmin}}}

Jylnne - congrats on getting an official time from Disney!!  DH and I are going to try to lose 5 - 10 between now and Boston.  I haven't been this heavy for over 6 years, and I'm determined to get down this time.  You are so right - it gets harder and harder to lose as we get older. 

Holly - Deena Kastor fractured a metatarsal around mile 3 in the last Olympic marathon.  She had been having metatarsal pain that she ignored and it came back to bite her.

((((dg)))) - rapid healing - love your avatar!

Perch - glad to hear the knee is rehabbing well!

Leslie - funny how the cats were at the top of the rescue list in lieu of the Hub ;-).  Jesse would probably be at the top of my list as well.

Twocat - woohoo - Vegas for your birthday is wonderful.  I haven't been there in ages, but I love the glitz.

Walt - I treated myself to a heavy duty enameld cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas, and I've been enjoying it nearly as much as my crockpot.  Simmering rocks!

6.5 easy, careful miles on the TM this morning.  I tried the new kinesio tape - taped for PF - and the run was pain free.  I think the metatarsal pain is due to my altered gait because I've been having PF twinges.  If the pain returns after my long run this weekend, I will heed the advice to see a doctor (thanks all).  I've already found a local doctor who honors my particular insurance. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Tetsujin – I love that sign...

Mary – great photo of what looked like an awesome day for a fishing trip.

Jlynne – awesome news that you get an official time at Disney, even if it was slower than you had hoped.  But in those conditions, that’s not surprising.

Walt – strip of orange peel, eh?  I’ll have to try that.  And you should try a crock pot.  It gives you the freedom to leave the house while something is simmering.

Sue - I have your Taco Soup simmering in the crock pot today, sans corn, since my family decided they prefer it that way.  Should make my quick dinner turnaround time between jobs a breeze tonight - thanks!

Tramps – wise move

Breger – what fun!  I love those kind of workouts.

Perch – you are doing great!  Thanks, I have no doubt, to what a proactive patient you are.

Kind of a mix-it-up day for me today.  I headed out in a breezy 30° with tiny ice pellets hitting my face gently, intending to do 4 MP-ish miles (aiming at 8:45) in the middle of my run, but after the first MP mile, I turned back the other direction and discovered the wind that had seemed so mild when it was at my back was downright annoying when running directly into it.  After 3 MP miles (8:47, 8:43, 8:52), I gave up fighting it, and instead headed home and did 2 hill repeats up my long hill, followed by weighted squats, dead lifts, lunges, bench step-ups, and 21 push-ups.   

8 miles total

I am enjoying doing my lower-body strength training at the end of my tougher-than-usual Tuesday and Thursday workouts, thereby giving my legs more of a rest on my usual x-training days (Mon-Fri).  I can still keep up a reasonably tough exercise routine, but give the legs more recovery.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Typing in one hand and putting my make up on in the other hand. Guess which hand is doing the typing Smile

Just like my buddy Tramps. 10 miles at predawn. 4 miles easy, 5 @ HPM, 1 easy.

That is all folks. Since I need both hands to put my mascara on Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Runners,

This morning I was not able to beat the rain, but I went out anyway. 49F and 15-20 mph winds. Today was a track workout and the wind was really strong down the backstretch. I did a 3 mile wu followed by 16x100m strides and a 1 mile cd for 6 miles (untimed due to the wind and rain). I had tightness in my gluts this morning. I think it was from the damp weather and also my 10 miler yesterday which had alot of up and down hill running.

I also did 21 pushups and ab work.

Jlynne: Glad to hear you finally were able to get a time for you Disney HM. At least now you have something to work off of.

Leslie: I don't know about you but my biggest problem running in the rain this week has been getting too warm. The temps have never been lower than about 54F (except for this morning) but I still have to wear my rain slicker to stay dry. By the time I finish my run I'm as soaked with as much sweat as I would be from rain without the slicker!  

I guess today may be the worst storm of all. I don't know how it could be worse than yesterday. We even had some tornadic activity along the coast.

Perch: Great news about your continued recovery.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

No run for me yet today, just some rope jumping, core work, heavy bag and speed bag so far today. I will likely run after school today. Did hill repeats Tuesday and another winter trail run last night (race report upcoming). I am so happy not to be taking classes that for the first time since I started teaching DW and I are going to take an actual winter break vacation to Arizona.
                    dg.

good morning! 

thanks for the hugs!

This morning I slept in a little longer,   I've been really exhausted all the time,  & thought maybe I should take advantage of a chance to catch up just a little.   Although Sadie still thinks I should be up by 4:30.  (outside run schedule).    I'm happy she hasn't caught on to the gym schedule of 3:40.     Anyway!  I meant to do core work but only had time for laundry & lunch packing.    I think I'll do some of those proprioceptive exercises during work.   promotes blood flow & work effeciency Wink

Tramps, absolutely yes play it safe!!   Although your idea of a cut back run makes me smile. 

Nice run Bill!    good luck with your garmin. 

I thought I'd mention this too in case it could be useful.... I said the other day that I didn't see this coming, but there were warnings I'd ignored.   I always walked Sadie after I'd get home from a run.. maybe not smart because my muscles were tired & cooled down,  it's hilly & I was in  huge hurry.   It was hard to step up on  curbs, I noticed that I was getting really tight, could hardly extend my leg.  I thought I should probably do something about it & did stertch a little more, but it was probably a spasm thing.   FWIW.   At the least, it was probably not the time to do speed work.

Be careful out there!

Hey, I could use some of that!  I can wait if I have to, though.  It’s only 5 ½ weeks until March!   

Holly shhhHHHHHH!   Some of us have a marathon in March & are Not Quite Ready!!

but we can think spring in a very generic untargeted sense.   :-)

Nice everything today!

Jeanne, very cool news about Disney.... but (maybe I'm missing something here?) what about your start time?  Any way to find that out?      

Thanks Sue :-).    So happy your run was pain free!

Perch, yippee.  Big grin.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, I love the new Baby Will avatar!

I got to the gym last night while DD was busy at a school event - 30 minutes cycling and 45 minutes of weights.  I'm enjoying doing weights again, as I cut way back when I started running 4 years ago. But the cycling is boring.

Good luck with the weight loss, Jeanne and Sue.  You're both lucky your DHs are doing it with you, as it should be easier to keep unhealthy food out of the house that way. I remember when I quit drinking coffee and alcohol when I was pregnant, DH quit with me for support.  But then he started up again after I was used to it.

Perch, glad the rehab is progressing so well!

Sorry for the bad weather many of you are enduring.  Just remember those of us on the DL, and try to enjoy it anyway!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice long runs for fatozzig (water logged miles with speedwork), dive, Tramps, and mariposai.  Good job on the speedwork for Walt, breger, and BC.

I was back home this morning so did not have to run in my retired shoes.  It was in the low 20s and there was some wind.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:58:30 for a 9:52 pace.  I had negative splits by over two minutes and the last mile was the fastest.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

My Garmin is officially dead.  Garmin Tech Support is swapping a refurb's one for mine.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

10 miles at predawn. 4 miles easy, 5 @ HPM, 1 easy.

Very nice!!  

I must admit, I don't think I could do 5 miles at HM pace right now. 

But I'll get there again. 

Dg - don't worry about the spring marathon.  Maybe you can run/walk it if you need to.  If I lived closer, I'd come and keep you company.  No piggy back rides, though. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh Byll, I am so sorry about the Garmin - if it's only 6 months old, they should send you a new one. 

Holly - darn, I don't think I can make it to your house for Taco Soup on such short notice.  I've been craving some, so maybe that will be on the agenda for Sunday.  I'll have to forego the tortilla chips, cheese and other delectable add ins unfortunately. 

Mariposai -  now that is real multi-tasking!

Bruce - 49 degrees sounds wonderful - without the wind.

Craneium - so glad to hear you and Mrs. Craneium are going on a real vacation - we want pictures and a full account on your return.

dg - good for you - sleeping in is restorative, and you deserve it!

Carolyn - thanks!  Yes, it is nice that DH is going to participate, but he will drop weight without even trying while I will struggle.  It really isn't fair!

TomS - very, very nice 12 miles with negative splits - in 20 degree weather - super job!

I am so sore after my core and weight work yesterday, I skipped my scheduled lunch bike ride.  That's what I get for slacking off the weight work.  One up side to the bad cold is that the hot flashes have mysteriously disappeared.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they don't reappear when the cold finally leaves.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous