Masters Running

Boston Report from the Back of the Pack (Read 343 times)

Henrun

To celebrate my 75th birthday I decided to run a "final" marathon (having decided 4 years ago to stick to half marathons). Marj decided to join me. We both got waivers from my club, New England 65+ Runners. We then proceeded to train and were able to get in 3-20 milers (the first being a bit premature as we ran the Martha's Vineyard 20 miler in February). Nevertheless our training continued through the winter with another race in March (the New Bedford Half Marathon). Marj organized a birthday party for me on April 11, attended by many friends and relatives, which exhausted us at a crucial time. Fortunately we tapered and rested for a week. The final weekend was marked by a couple of expo visits and Robin's wonderful party. Monday morning we headed to Athlete's Village where we encountered Peter and Tim (from Oklahoma). We took some photos with Tim, one of them taken by a nearby runner, a Korean, who then wanted Marj and myself to pose with his friends. So I guess our photos are being spread throughout Korea. We hit the corral with throwaway long sleeve T's and gloves. I had intended to throw out the gloves, but , fortunately kept them and wore them off and on as the wind blew. Our plan was for Marj to run the first half with me and then take off. I always take off too fast (even as I have slowed down my speed in the last few years). We decided to do straight 12's and then we were on our own. We maintained that speed for the half and then I slowed as the hills and the wind approached. I was well hydrated and ingested 5 GU's. Marj reined me in several times as I wanted to go a bit faster and it paid off since I didn't tire and ran all the way. I thought that Marj would finish well ahead of me. At mile 21 I saw her cousins who informed me that she was 4 minutes ahead of me. But she slowed down further and I ended up less than 1 minute behind her (5:31 vs. her 5:30). As for myself , I was only 2 minutes slower than I was 4 year ago-so, I'm satisfied. Will I do another one?Confused As Marj said-let's think about it when I'm 80Big grin mile 11 Photobucket
      Truly inspirational, If I needed motivation for my next month of training and my next marathon. You and Marj are it. Congratulations on a spectacular achievement. Amazing is all I can say. Way to continue to set goals and achieve them. Very proud Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Slo

Awesome ! Somewhere out there someone probably thinks you guys are crazy. I think you two are an inspiration !
          You two are INCREDIBLE role models. Every time I feel like I'm too old or too tired to run, I'm going to remember you both. Thanks for being such a positive influence on all of us RA people!
            You two are my biggest RA heroes among my RA heroes! I'm doing my first marathon this fall at 48, and I'll be thrilled to finish in 5 and a half! (Heck, the idea's still so new and huge, I'll be thrilled to finish!) And, with your inspiration, I do plan to still be running at 80! Congratulations on a race well run and thanks for the RR and wonderful pic! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lamerunner

Very inspriational, congratulations! I am 48 now; hope I can still run at 75. It must be wonderful to run together too. Rest up!
              evanflein

I just love this. You guys are great. So nice to see you, however briefly, on Sunday at Robin's. Thanks for posting the picture too. That's priceless!

#artbydmcbride

Ahhhh, two of my favorite people do the Boston Marathon! If I ever make it back there, I want you guys to run it again with me, please!!! Great report and fabulous picture! Smile

Runners run

It was greta to see you at Robin's. Henry you are one very strong and consistent runner. Your smile on the race course is both infectious and "yes" is being spread throughout Korea! Have fun biking in the Big Apple!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Only two minutes slower than 4 years ago sounds pretty good to me! You and Marj rock!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Wow!! just Wow !!! You both rock Congrats and Happy Birthday Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great job, both Henry and Marj. Truly an inspiration and what I hope I can look forward to in another few years.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Great job, Henry and Marj. I agree with all the others who find you an inspiration. I sounds like you both enjoyed the experience. Keep on being role models for the rest of us. TomS
                            SteveP

You two rock the house!!! I want DW and I to be like you guys when we grow up. Cool. Thanks for the RR, it made my day.

SteveP

Henrun and Marj, you're amazing and inspirational. What a way to celebrate your 75th birthday. Yes, do another marathon (my friend Bing just did one on his 80th) Big grin