Masters Running

Pre-Bird Day, 11.23.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Have a great time with Mom in DE, Hally. I hope you get in a good hike.

Good gym work, Dave. I'm glad things have been quiet for you at work.

Nice 3.1-miler, Stumpy. Drive safely and be patient on the roads today.

Good feeling good rail-trail 5er, Roch. There's a lot to be said for doing an easy Thanksgiving - why didn't we think of that?

Good work with the stability ball, and a good EZ 4-miler, Leslie. I hope those storms find a way to pass you by. Nice turkey find!

Nice bike and weights work, TW. Congrats to Pickles on her pending retirement. Is there room in the pool for the 2 of you? Be careful on the roads tomorrow.

Interesting that your Garmin has a mind of its own, Evanflein. Maybe the next time, you and it will take the same route. Good run in chilly temps regardless.

I'll bet your brined, smoked turkey is going to be delicious, Steve!

We have a lot of little prep projects for guests and Thanksgiving to get checked off today, so it'll be interesting to see how many get done. DW's sister and family are coming for Thanksgiving, and are leaving NJ today at about 3PM - just about the worst time to hit the road today. So we expect their normal 5-6 hour drive will take at least 7-8 hours. And I expect they'll sleep in tomorrow when DW and I get up and start cooking stuff. We'll be quiet...

Chilly (although not nearly as chilly as it was for Evanflein) and very windy this morning, so I chose not to venture out for an easy walk. So it goes.

I hope everyone who is traveling today stays safe and is patient because it'll be slow-going no matter what. And, regardless of what you are doing or who you are doing it with (boy - that's wide open, isn't it?), I hope you each have a wonderful, joyful, and restful Thanksgiving.

And have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I made it back to the River Trail for the first time in months.  4.1 miles. 34°. Made it back just as a light rain started.

The River Trail is a couple tenths of a mile down the street from our condo. I ran on it some last fall and thought I'd be on it a lot this year, but it was over grown in the Spring, then we got the flooding rains, and then I had the numbness problems.

It felt good to be back out on it.

Have you seen the funny questions people ask Butterball?
      http://wycd.cbslocal.com/2015/11/19/butterball-turkey-talk-lines-funniest-questions-ever/

Here are the first two:

1. So I’m looking at a turkey from 1969 sitting here in my father’s freezer… any tips on the best way to cook a 30-year-old bird?
      2. How do I roast my turkey so it gets golden brown tan lines — in the shape of a turkey bikini?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How come no answers?   I'd be curious what they said about the 30 YO bird.  The answer to the second one is creatively cut foil--that's easy.  Glad yo're back on teh trail, DAve.

Happy thanksgiving to all.  a couple of hours left before the great trek to the west.  the Waze app has been showing just a hair over 6 hours of steady driving.  With mandated hourly stops for stretching the new knee, I'll be happy if we break 8 hours.  We've had worse, and probably will, on the way back.  I'm gonna try to find a turkey trot close enough that I can sneak out for a little tomorrow.  It might be interesting--Rochester had 10"+ of snow over the weeknd

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I am just popping in to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Happy travels to those of you going elsewhere. Happy cooking for those of you doing that.

In running news: tomorrow is the local turkey trot. It is my SIL's one and only race per year. Wish her luck!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I will echo the safe travels and happy holiday wishes to all.

I saw a clip on TV this morning with Stephen Colbert answering the turkey hotline - very funny.

For the first time in at least a decade, I am not cooking the Thanksgiving dinner.  My stepdad and his wife are going to Atlanta to see her DD, and my oldest brother is coming to town for the weekend from Virginia with his wife and 13yo DS, and so dinner will be at my nephew's house (brother's oldest son) with their four little hurricanes boys.  How nice not to be spending two days cleaning and cooking and then cleaning again!  I am only responsible for pumpkin pie, macaroni and cheese, and broccoli salad (why can I never spell broccoli right the first time?).

I am pretty sure I broke my pinky toe on Monday, although I am not even quite sure how I did it.  I remember it hurting when I pushed off from the side of the pool, but can't be sure I didn't stub it the night before and didn't pay attention to it.  It doesn't hurt much, unless I try to bend it outward, but is swollen and a little bruised.  It doesn't seem to effect my gait, since my big toe and middle toes seem to take the brunt of walking. I thought about having it checked at the doctor, but I don't think they would do anything about a broken pinky toe anyway.

5.1 miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

How come no answers?   I'd be curious what they said about the 30 YO bird.  

I should have posted the link with the answers.  Here it is.

http://greatideas.people.com/2015/11/19/butterball-hotline-turkey-prep-questions-funny/

Head Procrastinator

Safe travels to all! Drooling reading about everyone's meals.

Sorry about your owie, Jay. Hope it heals enough so we can see you in Northampton next week.

Ran 4 miles this morning now wwaiting for two college girls to get their act together, they said they wanted to go for a hike with me and Geocache. If I waited for them to decided to go we'd be outta daylight! Gonna go rush em.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

{{{Jlynne and family}}}  Gosh, that's very tragic about your nephew.  So so sorry to hear.

Deez - so glad to hear you got your DH to the hospital.  Hope he recovers quickly.

Jay - your menu sounds amazing!!!  That's a lot of work to cook all those delicious things.  I wish we lived closer!  Wink

Erika - ever impressive seeing the weather you run in.

I will run a little bit later today.  I have some things to get at the grocery store, and realized NOW is probably a better time to go than in a few hours.  I bought just a turkey breast this year, wasn't even going to do that.  So I hope it goes well.  Nothing else fancy, as it is just the 3 of us.  MBE will show up a day or two late, so only turkey leftovers for him!

I did make the mistake one year of getting on the highway to go to the cabin on Wednesday before Thanksgiving around 2 pm.  NEVER AGAIN.  We averaged 10 miles per hour for many hours.  Since that episode, we get up early Thursday morning and drive on almost deserted highway.

Tonight I am making homemade rosemary/olive bread.  That's all I got to make you salivate.

Chocolate cheesecake too, and maybe a pumpkin cheesecake.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

..howdy//......ThanksGiving Traditions are the Best,

,,,,,,every year I get Oyster Casserole

which always makes me think of My Mom and My GrandMother

any Traditional Dishes You're looking forward to??

=========

another

20-min X-Bike Standing work-out

Pickles says

we might come home friday,

which gives me some weekend work-outs to look forward to

............good running guys............Safe Travelling

,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,Hoka Bondi-5's coming out early December....ohboyohboy NEW SHOES////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly - You might try taping the toe to the one next to it for support.  Other than that, the doc's won't do anything.

Lots of thunder and lightening and rain during the night here.  I was awake for most of it, but one loud crash sounded like it was right over the house, woke up The Hub, and although I didn't look, I'm sure most - if not all - of the cats were taking refuge under the bed.  Under there, it's a No Combat Zone.  Everyone agrees to a treaty  and to stay in their respective corners until the world settles back down.

Then up at 5:00 to feed the Zoo Crew and spend 45 min doing core/ST.

If I don't "see" you all tomorrow ~~ Happy Thanksgiving ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm sure most - if not all - of the cats were taking refuge under the bed.  Under there, it's a No Combat Zone.  Everyone agrees to a treaty  and to stay in their respective corners until the world settles back down.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No particular traditional dishes, except my Mum's turkey stuffing recipe, which is a little different than most.  Oyster casserole sounds interesting.

I ran 5.3 miles on the local trails that go around two small lakes (almost ponds).  Saw the same fellows out running, they must work around there and run the same loop everyday.  Anyway, it was quite pleasant, the rain stopped as soon as I got out of the car, the sun even shined for awhile, and then as soon as I got home, the rain started again.  Tomorrow there will be about 1.6 inches of rain at the cabin, yikes!  Good day to stay inside playing board games, cooking and drinking wine.  Oh, and having a fire, can't forget that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Hi All! I am off work today. DH took me out for breakfast and now I'm doing some food prep for tomorrow. cleaning a bit here and there too.

hoping the rain gives us a bit of a break for the turkey trot tomorrow morning.

Have a great thanksgiving all and safe travels for those that are driving out on the roads. looks like some parts of the US are in for nasty weather! I guess I'm glad it's only rain we have to contend with here.

Tammy

Nobody wishing Tammy a Happy Birthday, or did we all do it on FB? And by the way, if you are really just turning 50 (welcome to a new AG!) then I think you were cheating in joining this Masters group; Haven't you been posting here for, like, forever?

Ran 2 miles on the TM as part of my general gym workout. Carpy weather outside today with lots of semi-freezing stuff falling most of the day.

Well, our small Thanksgiving dinner just got even smaller, as my MIL is sick and can't come over, so now we're down to me, my DW, and my DS. It will be strange to not have anyone with us who's sort of a "guest.," and my MIL has been a holiday fixture for me as well for the last 35 years or so. Anyone want to drop over? But we'll have the usual dinner and then carry some over to her place afterwards.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Oyster casserole sounds interesting a little scary

Tammy - Happy Birthday!!