Masters Running

Saturday, 11.19.16 (Read 24 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We'll give you 4 for yesterday, Stumpy. Nice shorts weather. What's with the guy with the suitcase? Weird...

I'm not surprised that you're a model patient, Henry, and I'm glad that you are cane-free. Keep up the good work!

Nice short sunrise run, Hally. Yeah, that orb does move along, doesn't it?

Wow- no gradual transition to winter for you, WildChild. I'm glad you have the van almost ready for travels to warmer climes. Nice runs in winter gear and screw shoes.

Good for you for saying enough is enough, Leslie. I hope you keep sticking up for yourself on that issue. And I hope your run last night wasn't too wet.

I'm glad things are moving ahead with DD, Holly, and that the picture is a little more hopeful for your FIL. Nice 16 miler in some summer-like temps.

Congrats to MBE's DD, Enke. Good 5.3 miler with encouragement ("older gent" indeed!) and waves, and in shorts.

Good use of your time on the elliptical, TwoCat. I wonder why TV stations only focus on the leaders in road race coverage? Do they have research that tells them that is all non-runners care about? Maybe you should write them a letter.

Last night's political dinner was another loud, boisterous affair, with differing opinions on national and state issues flying all over the place. But there was also a lot of laughter, great food, and flowing wine, and it was a great evening. We had written pre-election predictions for 4 national and state races, and 2 people got 3 of them right. No one got them all.

Went for another 4.5 mi. walk this morning in 38F temps, under clear skies with a half moon straight overhead. Nice. Then I did a lot of stretching, some core work, and had fun with my foam roller and the stick. Now I gotta finish my coffee and get to that race I'm working at today.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Enjoy your race, and smart of you to back off when you need to.

Erika - I meant to add to the congratulations on your certification - well done!

DD's first basketball scrimmage this afternoon, then church after.  Meanwhile, I am logging into work to get some stuff done.

4 recovery paced miles on the TM this morning, followed by about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Jay, Holly and all to follow. Good luck with that race today Jay, and Holly with DD's bball game. I've been thinking about her and hoping that the appointment with the counselor goes well. Also, deep breaths to you, Leslie and everyone else feeling overwhelmed by jobs and just life in general lately. I've had a rough stretch myself. One of my favorite nephews committed suicide two weeks ago, leaving behind a wonderful wife and 3 sons, the youngest a freshman in high school. This is the third suicide among my sisters and brothers' kids in the last 4 years and it's been tough on all of us. My worry level went up a notch or two since my youngest DS has had issues with depression since he was little.

On a happier note, I was thrilled to see that Henry's rehab is going well and Erika passed her exam. I miss Amy and hope all is well in her life these days.

Yesterday it was 60° here. This morning when I got up it was 31, snowing, and sustained winds of 25 mph with gusts of 40-45. Off to the Y for 5.5 miles on the dreadmill and 35 minutes of weights and core stuff. Normally I don't mind and expect the winter weather to arrive around this time. It was just a total shock from yesterday when we were outside stringing Christmas lights in shorts! Time to dig out the tights, hats and gloves.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Good morning all! Just a quick fly by, 5 miles in cool and little damp weather this morning and now headed to as Jay called it" a yoga chaser".

Peace and happiness to everyone here!

Clark

Hello everyone,

Sounds about the same for everyone weather wise. I mowed the lawn last night in sun 70 degrees and shorts and ran this morning in windy rainy and 34 degree conditions.

3.6 @ a GA pace.

{{{{{{Holly}}}}}}

Went through something similar with my youngest. You have to make it clear that if they say it you take it seriously. I hope it turns out to be just drama like it was in my sons case and hopefully everyone understands the seriousness of the situation.

Erika,

similar situation for me I was just given a promotion with a lot more responsibility and money with the option of backing out after the first of the year. Don,t get me wrong I love the dollars but I am looking to semi retire in 3 years and spend less time working and more time traveling. I agreed to step in when someone suddenly vacated the position. They of course would love for me to take it permanently but I,m not so sure. It's really a step towards loftier goals and I'm more on the slowing it down road. We shall see in January. I do hate to leave money on the table though🤑🤑🤑

Henry,

I was MIA when you had your knee done. Glad to see it is going well. You continue to inspire.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

One of my favorite nephews committed suicide two weeks ago, leaving behind a wonderful wife and 3 sons, the youngest a freshman in high school. This is the third suicide among my sisters and brothers' kids in the last 4 years and it's been tough on all of us. My worry level went up a notch or two since my youngest DS has had issues with depression since he was little.

OMG, Jeanne - the 3rd suicide of a niece/nephew - how awful!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Erika, I am so proud of you and your accomplishments!!

Hallar, good luck with your decision in January.

Holly, thinking of you and your DD.

Jay, that dinner sounds like fun!

Clark, I hope your yoga session was good.

Henry, good to hear you are being a good patient Smile.

Jlynne, I am so sorry to hear this. Suicide is so dramatic on everyone involved.

Well, I did managed to get out for 5 miles in the late afternoon after spending most of the day at the office working on my agency's budget. I enjoy budgeting, but it is stressful when I want to give my staff the raises they deserve and the money is not there. Being a government agency is tough.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and concerns about my papa. He is still in the hospital, but is doing better by the day.

Cheers to all,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Jeanne, my heart goes out to you on your loss. That's so hard. My BIL's daughter's husband died that way a few years ago and it was so tragic. Those that are left behind suffer so terribly.

Mariposai, good to hear your papa is improving. Hard to be so far away! And yes, budgeting is so hard when there's no money. After years of having money to cover most things we need, we are in dire budget straits now with the price of oil so low. We're down several hundred employees already and more layoffs/non-renewals to come. We're preparing for our FY18 budget requests now, and our president is telling everyone to prepare for a 5-10% budget cut. Fourth year of cuts and things are getting pretty grim.

Glad to hear Henry is improving and Larry's foot is getting better. Yeah Larry, the reluctant promotion is an interesting situation. Most people always want the next increase in pay and responsibility. I'll admit the pay is nice but oh man do I earn it. I had a lot more fun helping people directly in my old job.

So it's gotten colder here, but we're still much warmer than "normal" for this time of year. I say it that way because our normal is definitely a "new normal" from what our temps were when I was growing up here. I remember many Novembers with severe cold snaps and/or heavy snows. We have hardly any snow (just a couple inches) and our temps are hovering around zero (vs the -20's we could be seeing). Today was below zero this morning in town, but a little warmer here in the hills. I decided not to mess with the colder temps at the lower elevations (where it's flat) so ran some hills today. 7.1 miles of hills in low single-digit temps (maybe 3° to 5°?) with a little breeze from the West. Tomorrow should be warmer, but only by a couple degrees.