Masters Running

Ketones (Read 204 times)

lswife

I'm type 2 diabetic, and our DD and DS both know they are at higher risk to get this disease.  "Burning ketones" is a serious problem for diabetics, but it doesn't happen to me.

The DD is a runner,  is trying to lose the last 10# of pregnancy weight, and is preparing for a Labor Day 5K. She's mentioned last week that her sweat smelled "funny," and I immediately thought of ketones. (She's NOT overweight at all but just trying to fit into pre-baby clothing. I've told her I'm still trying to fit into pre-pregnancy clothing, and it's been almost 29 years of trying ; )

I won't go into a long explanation here, but does anyone know what I'm talking about and have advice?  When I go to my drs for my next check-ups (early Oct.), I'm asking them about this but wonder if anyone here has experience/knowledge about this.

Thanks.

Roberta

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The only experience I have with that is my son's pediatrician was concerned about his fruity breath when he was one day old.  He thought DS might be very hungry (not getting enough nourishment from me), and he mentioned ketones.  An older nurse came by afterwards, patted my arm, and said, "Don't listen to that young doctor.  There's nothing to worry about!"  LOL, she was right.

How did her sweat smell?  If it smelled like pee (ammonia), you should do a search on the main boards.  This was discussed just this week.

King of PhotoShop

Many years ago during my running training, I fasted one day a week drinking only alkali-based juices, such as apple juice, in order to bring on ketosis.  Looking back on it now, I have no idea why I did this!  Must have been some article I read.  Haven't heard the subject discussed since.  Interesting though, and I would like to learn more about this.  Spareribs
        dg.

Roberta is she on a high protein diet?
            roberta - she should probably have her urine dipped for ketones -- esp. with the family hx.......ketones can be present when someone eats too much protein, too little carbs as in atkins diet, can also be from too little food in general, vomiting, and various other reasons along with the diabetic ketoacidosis

denise

lswife

denise,

I read either on this board or a diabetic board (I searched for ketones on both and googled it) about "dipping for ketones" and didn't understand/have never heard of that. What kind of strips?  Yeah, she's on a higher protein diet and is counting points on a Weight watcher program. Off the top of my head, I guessed she wasn't eating enough carbs for her running on the road and running after 2 pre-schoolers.

Thanks, people.

Too hot/humid for running outside or even inside in a non-cold room. Anyone else extremely bothered by heat and humidity? I gave up running this morning and just walked briskly.

Hi Roberta, you can get ketone test strips over the counter at the pharmacy (ketodiastix is one brand).  But I would bet if she has ketones, they are due to the dieting.  If diabetes is a concern, you could use your meter to check her fasting blood sugar. 

I'm with you on the heat & humidity, and this year summer has zapped me more than ever.  Today's run was 80 degrees w/ 78% humidity at 7:30 am.  Blech!

Progress Trumps Pefection

definitely should be able to get them in any pharmacy like rite aid, cvs etc - very easy to use and read

i LOVE the heat and humidity -- but it has made for some difficult runs

denise