Masters Running

Sunday Morning 11/25/18 (Read 44 times)

SteveP

Happy Late Birthday Bio Guy.

Coastwalker had a very cold 5.9 before shopping for band saw blades.

Tom White churns out a 50 minute pool run. The man is dedicated.

Jlynne Ys up with an hour cardio and half on her core. She's testing the shopping waters.

Tramps dodged the rain and got three in.

RunnerKSA fires up over football.

Runr-Nut cooked up 5.5 over medium. I'm sure the boot camp made it a bit more difficult.

Mrrun had a nice 3.

Henrun take a route in his old haunts.

Twocat is hanging in there and making progress. Keep your chin up. You're a valued member and we need a healthy happy Twocat.

Falconfixer leaves the realm of sanity and runs with three leashed partners for 2.s Friday He tore it up with 8+ on Saturday before homing his skills at the firing range. the wood floor removal sounds like a nightmare.

Holly S introduces us to the heart throb Rudy. He's too cute. I'd hate to see what he looked like after one of our trail runs.

Fatozzig steps in. DH is down for a bit and CA is getting a much needed rain.

Stumpy gets 3 in at the FIL's homestead.

Spacityrunner hits the trails then floats her boat.

Tetsujin209 preps for the Seattle Marathon. I'd love to see you cross the finish line.

Deez4boyz pumps out 3.2 before work.

Mariposai has heartwarming tales. Heads home and sneaks in three after dark miles.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, everybody!

Thanks for the start, again, Steve!

This 4 day weekend has flown by!  And it has been a busy one.  Thursday was busy with Thanksgiving and all the stuff that goes into that day.  I don’t even know how many people we had over.  But everybody left with full bellies and, as far as I know, nobody got sick on undercooked turkey, so I guess it was a success.

Friday and Saturday were spent decorating for Christmas.  We put up two trees and, since it was close to 50 on Friday, I put lights on the outside of the house for the first time in a long time.  Of course, it won’t hit 50 again until July, so they might just have to stay up for awhile.

And, of course, there’s that dang Christmas letter that I have to write every year.  I started it but it just isn’t going anywhere.  Sometimes, all I have to do is start and it almost writes itself.  I think part of the problem is that I’m not running.  I get my best ideas while I’m out on the road.

Speaking of running—I get to start back up tomorrow!  It’s been two weeks and I’m getting antsy!

I cannot believe the Gophers brought home the axe, yesterday, after being in Wisconsin for 15 years!  I was almost hoping they would lose because the Vikings play the Packers, today, and I just don’t see us beating both teams in the same weekend.  And, if I have to pick between the Vikings and the Gophers, I’ll take the Vikings every time.

Okay—I guess I should go work on that letter a little bit before church.  See ya!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again for the good start, Steve. How's the flooring project progressing?

Busy weekend, Mike! I'll bet you'll be glad to get back to running.

Yeah, Jlynne, 800 lights seems like a lot to put on one outlet. I'm glad DH's and Falconfixer's suggestion worked.

Good luck today, Tet!

Keep up the good rehab work, Twocat. Every day gets you a little closer.

Holly, did Rudy's name come from the movie? Cute pup!

DH and I went out to breakfast to our favorite dive yesterday (Small Business Saturday). We also got our outside holiday lights up, and I blew more leaves off the driveway before the nighttime rains came. After the recent spate of cold days, there were folks ice skating on the pond across the street - none of us remembered it freezing enough for skating in November before. It'll warm up enough this week that the ice'll be gone again for a while.

It rained overnight, heavily at times, but it was quiet when I woke up. So I got dressed and headed out, expecting I might still see some rain along the way. It was dry for the first 4 miles, but raining for the last 5+. I dressed a lot better for the weather today than yesterday, so I was comfortable, even if wet. 9.6 miles total.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Sorry, to bother you again...but I wanted to share this picture with you that I found of Ryan (305) from the Harrisburg Marathon.  It shows how much fun he has while running...is it any wonder I love running with that kid so much?

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, bridge, outdoor and water

Good morning everyone, got in  a easy 6.8 before the cold front moves in today. The plan was to get some yard work in today but with the wind blowing the way it is more leaves are falling in than I'll be able to move out. Anyway enjoy your sunday and happy running!

deez4boyz and Mariposai what is this mindset that does not want calories you speak of? I was born hungry.  My stomach apparently lacks any sort of an off switch.

RunnerKSA in my world DGS is Director of Graduate Studies (me at my school which the university classifies as a department for most administrative issues). Henrun I was however once (way, way back when) a grandson! Not so sure how dear I was, but I had the last half of the title for sure.

It just poured last night. But we have been luck this weekend. Yesterday was not bad and today it has been relatively (as in relatively for November) good. I discovered that one of the local squirrels has figured out how to defeat the squirrel baffle. Apparently it is not baffling enough. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and we will see if the critter can still navigate his way up. Plan B is to buy one of those bird feeders I have seen of late that close up if too much weight gets on them. They are not as attractive as the wood one we have out now, but they will make for one baffled squirrel!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

bioguy

10 miles this beautiful morning. Already went to the grocery store; my wife is making my favorite dessert tonight, a ricotta chocalate chip cheesecake.

going to get out eh ladder and patch a spot in the gutter that was leaking in last night's deluge. Then I suppose I better get caught up for school tomorrow.

Tailwinds!

Good Sunday morning folks. Thanks for the great recap Steve. Is the floor done yet?

Hey Mike - I'm expecting a complete victory by the Minnesota teams this weekend. Wow. The Badgers got trounced! Take care of that ax until next year! And great picture of Ryan. What mile was this picture taken? He looks like he's out running a 5K. And good luck with your annual Christmas letter. Hope you'll share it with us again.

You are a tough mudder Jay. Out in the rain two days in a row - impressive.

Squirrels are pretty invincible Twocat. I hope the WD-40 slows them down a little.

Mmmmmm....ricotta chocolate cheesecake.

DH and I went to 7:30 mass, then out for breakfast. It's still reasonably warm here (low 30's with some wind) so we took a walk to burn off the eggs and bacon. Just under 2 miles, just enjoying the geese in one of the local ponds and lack of traffic.

I'm making turkey noodle soup out of the carcass from last Thursday which we'll have for dinner later. Someone (me) needs to lose some weight! And we watched "Black Klansman" last night. A great movie.

I discovered that one of the local squirrels has figured out how to defeat the squirrel baffle. Apparently it is not baffling enough. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and we will see if the critter can still navigate his way up. Plan B is to buy one of those bird feeders I have seen of late that close up if too much weight gets on them. They are not as attractive as the wood one we have out now, but they will make for one baffled squirrel!

Have you tried PVC pipe on the post?  Kinda hard to climb PVC pipe.

We have sun today and I get to stay inside and do transcription.

The Hub is still a cranky patient.  He's down to only Alka-Seltzer Nighttime, so maybe he'll spent most of the day sleeping.  One can only hope . . . 

When I was a kid growing up in Cambria, a local artist named Art Beal lived down the hill from my grandparents.  He had built his own home and it was called Nitt Witt Ridge.  We kids were scared of the place and of him ('cause we were ignorant kids).  He died a number of years ago and his place has since been named a California Historical Landmark.  It's for sale if you're interested in owning a historical landmark.

Last night's sermon was about being thankful for God's blessings.  I like this: You can't be thankful and angry at the same time.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Steve - you are right - that white shows all the dirt.

Mike - so true.  The Thanksgiving weekend is usually so busy you need a weekend to rest from it.  Great smile on that son of yours.

Jay - shhhh, don't tell Twocat you broke the rule..

Leslie - Dexter is pretty much unfazed by Rudy.  Mostly he just gets up and moves when Rudy comes near.  Rosie, however, was curious with an intensity that bordered on aggressive.  I think she may be a little jealous.  We have a play yard set up in the kitchen for him, so she can observe him from outside it without bothering him.  She'll get used to him soon enough.

So, I ran today. Well, there were some walk breaks.  I apparently have no stamina anymore.  However, the foot barely complained at all, and it still seems okay.  8.2 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne and Tramps, my DW and I enjoyed Buster Scruggs, but I think it helps to appreciate the dark, noir side of things (we also loved Breaking Bad). We've liked most of what the Coens have done, such as Fargo and the first season of the TV show by that name. I also liked their adaptation of No Country for Old Men, by one of my favorite authors (Cormac McCarthy).

I had a very good run with some club members out by the lake this morning, doing 4 miles at a 10:00 pace, which is the fastest time for me over that distance in a while (not that much slower than my current 5K pace). It helped that they were both 15 years younger and were actively dragging me along at a few points!

We seem to do less every year on decorating for Christmas, but I guess I should head downstairs now to drag out what boxes we have down there...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks, twocat.  I always forget the "Dear" part of those abbreviations and then can't figure it out!

Anything with ricotta in it has to be wonderful.   One of the problems with going to someone else's house for Thanksgiving is that we don't have leftovers except the cranberry salad that I took (and brought back the remains).  She sent us home with a little ham but no turkey.

Went over to the path and forced myself to do the low HR method.  Once I got over the awkwardness of the pace, it went well and I consider it a success.  I didn't have to start walking to lower the HR until after 3 miles.  It actually comes down faster with a walk (duh) and my pace dropped after I started shifting to a walk when it got over 135 bpm.  I felt SO much better at the end than I have been feeling.  5.2 miles done!

I made it to the gym after the run for weights.  I don't spend a lot of time on my weight workout, but I think it is beneficial and I am determined to stick with it a couple of times a week.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Catching up... I had a fun, long day in the woods on Friday.   I've run this trail course in one of our state parks well over 15 or 18 times now, so know it well.   This helped Friday, for sure.  It is virtually all deciduous trees which have all shed their leaves and thus the forest floor (and all trail markings) were covered with a deep layer of monochromatic brown leaves.   The color was fine; I just knew all sorts of trip hazards lay beneath the bucolic fall carpet.   So, I took it gingerly all the way.    It was magnificent to be in the sunny woods, though, and I enjoyed the day terrifically.

The event was set up as a "run as much as you'd like", up to 50K.   The course is a 20 mile loop and there is one spot where you can cut it in half for a 10 mile loop.  I had intended to do just that but as I got to mile 16 or so, noticed a persistent soreness in my right IT Band.   This was the same soreness I noted at the Monumental Marathon a couple weeks ago.   The trail running exacerbated this, I'm sure.   So, I decided to hang it up after 20 miles.   That was a good decision, indeed.

Statistically, the numbers didn't lie (do they ever??!!).  The 20.3 miles took just under 5 hours...yikes... 4:48:32 to be precise.   Man, that's a slog.  14:13/mile pace.   I've done that same course in under 4 hours several times.   Comparing the 5K road run on Thursday with the 20 mile trail run on Friday is also instructive...pace of 7:50/mile vs 14:13/mile.  More interesting was my average stride length... 1.21m  vs 0.76m  (thanks to my Garmin).   Striding out fully vs short, choppy steps.

I had a nice 2.5 hour drive up and back with two fellow local runners...good conversations up and back on topics ranging far from running.

Have spent a good amount of time with my foam roller on the IT Band, since.    (That would be a good name for a rock group made up of runners wouldn't it?)

Rock on, enjoy the remaining bit of the Thanksgiving weekend!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Dave59

Not anyone's fault here, but because of the comments on yesterday's thread, we watched Buster Scruggs and I felt a little like I wasted 2 hours.  I guess there is always one dull, unintellectual person in every group. 

Beautiful day here.  60° with 50/50 sun and clouds.  I took an hour walk up the hill behind our condo (and back down).

When I woke up this morning, the Buffalo Sabres had won their 9th straight game and had the most points in the NHL. I don't know how long they will play this good, but I bet my friends and family up in Western NY are out of their minds.

Tramps

Dave--sorry about the movie but I did think of you when I saw the Sabres on the top of the heap this morning.

Joe--"The IT Band." Love it.

Bioguy--belated happy birthday.

Movie round up...

• Doug--yeah, Buster Scruggs is a little dark but in that old-fashioned spooky sort of way. Also, I noticed No Country for Old Men is streaming on Netflix. I saw it when it came out but I'd watch it again, if I have a chance.
                                • Jlynne--Black Klansman (however they spell it) is worth seeing. It's one of those "based on actual events" sort of films, with some Hollywood subplots made up to flesh out the structure. (Here's a fact-checking with spoilers.) The basic story, though, is true. I thought it was one of Spike Lee's better films.
                                • We also watched "July 22" a while back (on Netflix, too) about the right-wing terrorist shooting of teens in Norway. It was a very well constructed film with a focus on the aftermath, rather than the event. Appropriately disturbing in places. I was skeptical going in, but it was well done.

38 miles on the bike today. I checked weather.com before we left and it was supposed to be in the 40s during our ride. They lied. The sun came out and the temps shot up to 66F by the end. I was horribly overdressed and stopped several time so to peel off gloves, long pants, a wind jacket, etc. I was sweating like crazy, didn't have enough water, and had all these extra clothes wrapped around my waist.  Lesson learned.

Be safe. Be kind.