Masters Running

Hump Day - August 11 Daily (Read 592 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

I did hill repeats last night ...... it's not what  you think though.   A large portion of the large retaining wall we've been building has failed, so digging out blocks, just digging, running up and down our ravine to get this and that ... all during the muggiest night of the year too.   Let's just say it was an ornery miserable evening.   DH is staying home today to get some footings in and I am (happily) going to work!!

So, the alarm went off this morning, I let the dogs out then back in and went back to bed.

Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary and all to follow. How's your back this morning Mary? That sounds like a lot of hard work, especially in all of the heat and humidity - and MOSQUITOS! I think going to work is a smart idea today

Carolyn - good luck getting DD off to college. There will be some tears shed. I remember when we took our oldest son for his freshman year. I cried from the time we left him until the time we got home (over 2 hours). That first year was hard. Just remember, all baby birds have to leave the nest.

Hey Tom - will your house pass the "white glove" test?  Good luck with the Hoover rep!

DH and I spent the day at Whistling Straits yesterday, volunteering as marshals on hole #2. It was wicked hot and humid there. And the one day you'd like a little breeze off of Lake Michigan to help cool you off? Never saw the lake as calm as it was yesterday. Saw lots of great players (Stricker, Harrington, McDowell) as they practiced chipping and putting. We're working again on Saturday and Sunday - hope it cools off a little.

Woke up to rain and lightening, so off to the Y for some cross training. 5 miles on the eliptical and 3 miles on the bike with some upper body weights and stability ball stuff. Today our high school kids come back to get their picture ID's taken, pick up books and schedules and get lockers. Wow - summer went too fast

Enjoy your day!

Renee the dog

Hey everybody!  Got up at 5 all sproinky and went out for my LR...and came home 1.5 miles later...too much going on with my left side this morning and nothing was giving in and relaxing.  I guess yoga last night did more to me than I thought.  However, this is why I am trying having my LR mid-week.  I don't feel any sense of panic, I'm just moving my planned 3 miles from tomorrow to today, and going out for a little shake-down cruise again tonight with Renee after some foam rolling. 

LR is now scheduled for tomorrow.  MIL arrives tonight.  Wonder if I'll just keep running tomorrow morning.

Erika, good luck with the moose!

Make a good one! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning everyone!

Today was planned for a 10 to 12 mile MLR with 4 to 5 miles at continuous Tempo.  So up and out I went at the unGodly hour of 4:30 AM.

I ran 5 miles easy, then miles 6 through 10 at Tempo pace (approx. 10K to HMP).  Finished it off with 2 miles cool down.  I wasn't sure I could mange 5 continuous tempo miles but I got them done.  (This felt close to a RTYP run.)  12 miles altogether at 8:54 pace, Miles 6 through 10:

7:59

7:55

7:48

7:52

7:48

The weather was 75° and 91%.  Though the humidity was way up there, the temperature was a bit cooler than normal so that helped me get through it.  Getting there ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Lift, step, spin.  That's all I got.

Off to pick up Long-Suffering's old minivan with the new radiator in Saratoga Springs.  Just a little out of the way.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bowing Yellow Smiley Face Gifs Images  As far as I'm concerned, you're there, Byll.  Awesome!!

Mary--pretty awesome XT for you, too.  nothing like coming home after work and then right into grunt labor.

Jlynne--Boy, you've got a short summer out there.  Not that I care anymore, but HS around here don't start until after labor day.  And DD at UCLA doesn't start fall quarter until mid-Sept.

Nono--is that like the old joke  "My mother started walking in 1990.  We think she's somewhere around Topeka at the moment" ?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Good morning!  Reasonably nice out there if a bit humid. I ran a pretty strong 8 miles, a little faster than usual  in spite of  extra workouts via swimming and tennis yesterday. Sometimes the legs cooperate... I should probably do something resembling real speedwork one of these days. Body might rebel though.

Happy Anniversary to Karin and DH !! 19 years is pretty good.

Cannot believe it is mid-August. DD has one more year of high school. The last couple of years have been a challenge with her, though she has done well in school for the most part. She is doing an SAT prep camp this week and has managed to save most of her summer reading for the last minute.  Some things don't seem to change. In some ways going off to college might be good for her.

Good runs to all!

Happy Anniversary to you and yours as well lamerunner! Nice running there too. Happy for you that the body is cooperating. One of these days we'll have to run together.

Nice going Bill. The kiddo had a RTYP for real occasion last night at the weekly 5k---heat, brand new braces that made his head hurt, and feeling sick all together. Can't say he hit your paces though!

11.8 miles for me this morning at 8:30 am in 8:03 pace (cool, just noticed the synergistic number combo)

Oh dear PBJ....sounds like you acquired car parts on your vacation. 

wildchild

Carolyn

I had a great and much-needed trail run after work - 4 miles in 50 minutes.  Two miles uphill, and I managed to run the whole first mile but had to walk some of mile 2 because it gets steep.  Then I flew back down through the woods and across a beautiful meadow.  High 60's but there was a convenient cloud over the sun at the start, and the sun was dipping behind a ridge to the west at the end, so it felt great.  I started the run feeling all teary about DD leaving, and ended feeling sweaty and exhilarated.  Isn't running awesome?

Nono, I hope your LR goes well tomorrow and your left side behaves itself!  Has Bayside managed to give notice yet?

Byll, awesome MLR with tempo.  75° is a bit cooler than normal?  You're tough!

TimBo - if you're lurking, pop in and let us know how your knee is recovering.  And anything new on the job front?  Has your shop opened yet?

Denise, how's Justin?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – just think of it as good x-training. 

Craneium – congratulations!

CNYrunner – Happy Anniversary!

Nono – good luck with your MIL’s visit...

Breger – nice tempo in the heat!

Erika - I think it would be a lot easier for me if my kids go to college locally.  Even if I don't see them often, I know I would feel comforted by their being nearby.

80° and 96% this morning at 5am - I think that’s the record at my house so far this summer at that time of day.  I chose to stay on the TM in the garage with the door open.  It wasn’t any cooler but I had two fans trained on me while I watched an episode of a Sci Fi series called Defying Gravity.  7 miles total, kind of fartleking but mostly slow. 

I was thinking this morning that the AF Marathon is no longer on my “A” list.  My training has just not been up to par this summer.  I’m getting the miles in, but barely any speed or tempo.  I have let the unusual heat be an excuse to be lazy.  Oh well.  I reminded myself that I’m grateful just to be running, even if it’s on the slow side.

School started in two of the local districts today: one of them will close 2 hours early and the other took the day off due to the excessive heat (these old schools don’t have AC).  They only get 3 calamity days this year, and already they’re dipping into them before we even have a snowstorm.

Doesn’t matter to me when the kids go back to school - summer has 6 more weeks.  I refuse to hear any different. 

Soccer practice for DS Mon. and Wed. night this week, and Tues. and Thur. for DD.  Back to the quickie dinner menu for soccer season. ....Tater tots are my friends......as are pigs-n-blankets, grilled cheese, fish sticks, etc.....not super nutritious, but better than McDonald's.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hopeful, your cross training/hill repeats must have been tough if you'd rather go to work than stay home and do more.  nono, sorry to hear about your aborted LR.  I hope the problem is temporary.  Happy anniversaries to CNY and lame.

Nice long runs for breger and CNY.

This morning it was about 70°, almost calm, and humid.  The way things have been lately, I guess I could just comment on the wind as the temp and humidity have been pretty much the same for quite awhile.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:21:30 for a 10:11 pace.  I had negative splits and the last 2 miles were under 10:00 minutes.  I'm satisfied with that.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

. . .Tater tots are my friends......as are pigs-n-blankets, grilled cheese, fish sticks, etc.....

I think you just nailed my DH's idea of the perfect menu.  What time should he arrive for dinner?

Happy Anniversary, Karin!

Mary - Take care of that back with all that lifting.

Bill - Your paces amaze me.

This is just a bad week for me.  My legs are absolute toast.  My scheduled 10 ended up being 8.25 at 10:15 av pace.  It's weird.  I worked the hills fairly decently, but on gentle slopes or even flats, I just had no oompf.  I stopped for a bathroom break and could hardly get going again.  Really had to fight the urge to call The Hub to come get me.  (Plus, he wouldn't have been happy about me waking him up.)

I read an article in UltraRunner Magazine last night about listening to your body - are you tired because you're at that point in your training where it's normal to be tired, or is your body saying give me a break?  I think mine is yelling, "Give me a break!" and I don't know why.  I'm gonna email Coach and ask him what I should do this weekend.  The thought of putting in 30 miles over next few days on a treadmill makes me want to scream.  I tell ya, McKenzie River on Sept 11 can't come soon enough.

*sigh*  Enough complaining.  Off to get some work done ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, sounds like you need a break.  Give it a week and see what happens.  A week of absolutely nothing.

Patience as I try to post from a revamped Flickr site:

well it just won't work so I will post the link:

http://flic.kr/p/8rtcUY

tree root 1, enke 0

same cursed spot as last time but knee was only about half as shredded.

2 miles

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Wow, Holly, I thought school started early for our kids! DS2 goes back next Wednesday, the 18th. But they get out in mid-May, which seems a lot earlier than most. Two weeks off for Christmas and a week off for spring break in March, and that's it. The dorms here open on the 29th, and first day of classes at UAF is Sept. 2, so DS1 has a little more time off. Not that he's doing anything constructive with it. I think I'll see if I can get his wisdom teeth extraction done before school starts. The kid will wish he'd gotten a job.

That's an awesome mid-week long run there, Byll. What time do you have to get up to get that done before work? I'm always impressed by you early risers. I'd say you nailed those paces very well there, and later in the run, too. I think it's more than the milder temps at work.

Nice cleansing run there, Carolyn. Running is so good that way.

And Holly, I bet you'll surprise yourself. It should be cooler in mid-September, right? Getting the work done in the heat will make the race itself much better, I'd think.

Leslie, I think it's normal to have those ups and downs in energy level, sproink as we say. Usually a couple of crappy runs precede a breakthrough run. Happens more often than not, I believe. I'm sure hoping it works that way for me as far as long runs... the last few have been really hard and with a 30 mile weekend scheduled, I'm hoping the pendulum has swung the other way for me! As far as general fatigue, I've had that "too much weekend" feeling for too many days during the week and I'm working on getting more sleep. Having cooler weather sure helps, we sleep with the windows wide open. But I'm really really (really) working on getting to bed earlier. Not easy for a night owl like myself, but I'm trying. Last night was second night in a row before 11 pm, so that's good!

Run home from work day today. Had DH drop me off this morning, and he'll just need to come get my work bag around 4:30 and off I go. Should be around 10 miles with rolling hills and the long one at the end.

ETA: Enke! Ouch! Stop doing that!

That's an awesome mid-week long run there, Byll. What time do you have to get up to get that done before work? I'm always impressed by you early risers. 

-

Last night was second night in a row before 11 pm, so that's good!

-

"up and out I went at the unGodly hour of 4:30 AM." 

Nite Owl Erika, I guess I was out running my Thursday morning run about the time you were finishing up Wednesday!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong